closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Low end high end quartz.

Low end high end quartz.

I don't know much about quartz movements, but I'm interested in potentially getting a HAQ.

The main thing that puts me off quartz watches is the cheap, small, plasticky movement ticking away inside. It always detracts from the appeal when contrasted with the relative masterpiece you know is inside even a watch equipped with a generic, undecorated mechanical movement.

However, I recently looked at pictures of seikos 9F movements, and they don't look at all ugly or cheap. They look like something that belongs in an expensive watch. Might sound stupid, but it matters to me.

Unfortunately I can't afford a grand seiko.

What other options are available? If I said to you I was after a quartz watch with a nice, thermo-compensated high accuracy movement which could be had new for £1500 or under (under is better), what would you suggest?

In terms of the watch itself, I'm after something simple and versatile in style, sports watch which can double as dress, along the lines of the GS SBVG007, Or an Aqua terra. Other watches which fit the bill in terms of the style would be the railmaster, rolex explorer, Milgauss. You get the idea, I'm sure.

I know I make too many of these threads, but it really is a great way to get ideas.

Cheers!

Master
    I would say that you certainly can afford Grand Seiko, providing you buy direct from Japan and shop around. Even allowing for VAT on import you can buy a new GS quartz for £1400 or under.

Craftsman
    Breitling Colt?

Low end high end quartz.

Paid much less than your budget for my Breitling B1, but maybe not quite what you're after.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    The main thing that puts me off quartz watches is the cheap, small, plasticky movement ticking away inside. It always detracts from the appeal when contrasted with the relative masterpiece you know is inside even a watch equipped with a generic, undecorated mechanical movement.

However, I recently looked at pictures of seikos 9F movements, and they don't look at all ugly or cheap. They look like something that belongs in an expensive watch. Might sound stupid, but it matters to me.

Something that might appeal is a Seiko 8F56, 8F32, or 8F33 powered watch. The 8F56 is a perpetual calendar GMT and the 8F32 and 8F33 are perpetual calendar only, Unfortunately Seiko has retired these movements but you can still find second hand examples of watches made with them. eBay and WUS are good places to look.

Have a look here and here for two of the most desirable (but hard to get) models. Many other models are available and at reasonable prices on eBay.

Master

What other options are available? If I said to you I was after a quartz watch with a nice, thermo-compensated high accuracy movement which could be had new for £1500 or under (under is better), what would you suggest?

In terms of the watch itself, I'm after something simple and versatile in style, sports watch which can double as dress, along the lines of the GS SBVG007, Or an Aqua terra. Other watches which fit the bill in terms of the style would be the railmaster, rolex explorer, Milgauss. You get the idea, I'm sure.
    An SBGV005 (champagne colour dial) was sold earlier, which by the time landed here, would've been had for just under £1600 all in.
    Immaculate condition, and as they only came out last November, wasn't all that old.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Something that might appeal is a Seiko 8F56, 8F32, or 8F33 powered watch. The 8F56 is a perpetual calendar GMT and the 8F32 and 8F33 are perpetual calendar only, Unfortunately Seiko has retired these movements but you can still find second hand examples of watches made with them. eBay and WUS are good places to look.

Have a look here and here for two of the most desirable (but hard to get) models. Many other models are available and at reasonable prices on eBay.
    Like those. Thanks.

The main thing that puts me off quartz watches is the cheap, small, plasticky movement ticking away inside.
    Not strictly a pure quartz movement but if you Google "breitling mecaquartz" you'll see some nicely decorated movements, most of the Breitling mecaquartz watches had display backs.

For your budget you ought to be able to get a pre owned GS quartz.

Craftsman
    How about a Seamaster?

I've a quartz Tag and it's a great watch which is still going as strong as the day I bought it.

Good luck with the hunt.

Banned
    I don't know much about quartz movements, but I'm interested in potentially getting a HAQ.

I know I make too many of these threads, but it really is a great way to get ideas.

Cheers!
    You can easily afford a GS. I purchased one recently in Tokyo for quite significantly less than £1500. If you are not on your way to Japan any time soon, then http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/grand-seiko should be able to help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    You can easily afford a GS. I purchased one recently in Tokyo for quite significantly less than £1500. If you are not on your way to Japan any time soon, then http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/grand-seiko should be able to help.
    In my experience, I have found that Higuchi has better prices. I believe he is also an Authorised Dealer whereas Seiya is not.

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html

There is a Citizen Chronomaster on shoppinginjapan.net for just over a grand. I don't think this version is the perpetual calendar though and any watch you buy from Japan factor in import tax.

Banned
    Ah, the Chronomaster... The blue dial titanium Chronomaster pretty much ticks all my boxes. They just don't make them any more and I find the current crop of Chronomasters a bit boring.

If your going quartz then the Omega Aqua Terra or the SMP tick all the boxes. Expect to pay Circa £1000 for a decent used example with box and papers.

Craftsman
    And what a pretty watch it is too IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    If your going quartz then the Omega Aqua Terra or the SMP tick all the boxes. Expect to pay Circa £1000 for a decent used example with box and papers.

When it comes to Quartz world, I can recommend (And I love the most) one model: Seiko SBCM023.

I have had 6 of these, and now I have three, two SBC023 black on black, and one SBCM029 Pepsi on blue dial.

Their accuracy, all of the pieces I had, never surprised me other than shockingly being accurate:

SBCM023:

SBCM029:

And of course Seiko Tuna which is another winner:

SBCM02X series have an 8 year battery life, and Tunas have 5 years!

Capt. Serdal

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Realistically, you are looking at the Seiko perpetual calender numbers or at watches that use the ETA thermoline range. The cheapest you will find easily is the Longines Conquest - if it says quartz it's just a boring old flatline movement, but if it says VHP on the dial, you are in business. The movement is the same as the 1441 in some Pre Bond Seamaster 200 models (but be careful, because most have the dull old 1438). You can convert the 1438, or indeed the 1538 found in the SMP and AT models to thermcompensation, but it seems a waste.

Citizen do an outstanding model, the Exceed, with the rather wonderful E501 movement which came in at a few hundred and offers a few seconds a year. The problem will be tracking down this Japan only model.

The Omega Perpetual Calender is a fine watch with an interesting movement but not to everyone's taste. I have a Double Eagle version and it's a delight.

Finally, if you are prepared to search hard, there's a very cheap Pulsar model out there with a very accurate movement.

Finally, Bulova offer the Precisionist range which also have the benefit of a sweeping second hand, but the dials and cases are a bit marmite. They are cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post

I've got an Omega AT Quartz. The movement is very nice looking, and it managed to eek 5 years out of a non lithium battery thanks to some clever technology that was explained to me on another forum that isn't found in normal quartz watches.

I understand that the 9F quartz movements are the most sophisticated/accurate of Seiko's battery powered quartz offerings, but I wonder how many of us would be quite happy with the performance and life expectancy of a 7C46 movement instead. I suspect I would.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I understand that the 9F quartz movements are the most sophisticated/accurate of Seiko's battery powered quartz offerings, but I wonder how many of us would be quite happy with the performance and life expectancy of a 7C46 movement instead. I suspect I would.
    The Citizen has a perpetual calender which I think is a bonus and puts it in front of the GS. That being said, I always find Citizen watches have problems hitting the seconds marker that even your cheapest Seikos don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Realistically, you are looking at the Seiko perpetual calender numbers or at watches that use the ETA thermoline range. The cheapest you will find easily is the Longines Conquest - if it says quartz it's just a boring old flatline movement, but if it says VHP on the dial, you are in business. The movement is the same as the 1441 in some Pre Bond Seamaster 200 models (but be careful, because most have the dull old 1438). You can convert the 1438, or indeed the 1538 found in the SMP and AT models to thermcompensation, but it seems a waste.

Citizen do an outstanding model, the Exceed, with the rather wonderful E501 movement which came in at a few hundred and offers a few seconds a year. The problem will be tracking down this Japan only model.

The Omega Perpetual Calender is a fine watch with an interesting movement but not to everyone's taste. I have a Double Eagle version and it's a delight.

Finally, if you are prepared to search hard, there's a very cheap Pulsar model out there with a very accurate movement.

Finally, Bulova offer the Precisionist range which also have the benefit of a sweeping second hand, but the dials and cases are a bit marmite. They are cheap though.
    All really useful information. Thanks matt.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Seiya don't ship GS to the UK.

go vintage, this is mine, it is crazy accurate, 38 years old and very cool IMHO.

:)

Happy Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

go vintage, this is mine, it is crazy accurate, 38 years old and very cool IMHO.

Happy Hunting.
    Beautiful!

What model is it?

Capt. Serdal

Quote Originally Posted by serdal22 View Post
    Beautiful!

What model is it?

Capt. Serdal
    Thanks

9943-8020 T from 1978, so 36 years old not 38, Doh

Fantastic! Thank you for the info.

Capt. Serdal

Craftsman
    http://goo.gl/sy8ha 10s/year Seikos
    http://goo.gl/XeKXy 20s/year Seikos
    http://goo.gl/vmW4fE Citizen HAQs
    http://goo.gl/8xrE4m Longines VHP

I buy using http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/. Have bought about 25 watches via them.

Worthing checking out.
    http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/x358016927
    http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/m123250012

Over last two weeks a Citizen E510 and a Longine VHP have gone for 11500JPY each. Use http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.c...&s1=cbids&o1=a to check recent prices.
    Use Chrome to auto-translate.
    さようなら
    Last edited by wadebridge59; 28th July 2014 at 03:14.

Master
    There's also the Certina DS2 precidrive chrono...

But as mentioned, you can not only afford Grand Seiko, you can afford one of the nicer ones. A quick hunt on fromjapan.co.jp suggest standard GS quartz such as the SBGX063 can be had for under £1000 now, including the VAT. £1400 gets you a fancier one, such as the SBGX055. The exchange rate is quite favourable at the moment.

Craftsman
    OK, I'm going to put my head on the block and admit to my ignorance

What is it about GS that commands such a huge price hike and admiration?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    OK, I'm going to put my head on the block and admit to my ignorance

What is it about GS that commands such a huge price hike and admiration?
    What price hike? For what they are GS watches are incredibly cheap.

Regarding admiration there is a lot of material out there that explains it. To truly appreciate a GS I think you need to wear one, at least see it in the flesh. These links are a good start:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the-...of-grand-seiko
    "There were only two companies who could sell watches passed astronomical observatory authorization Chronometer in those days. ---Seiko and Giraud Peregaux."

http://monochrome-watches.com/seikos...ment-part-one/

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

Wasn't the later Longines Conquest also a Perpetual Calendar model too? In the last couple of years I have seen these go at quite a wide range of prices. I've never brought myself to commit though, sometimes regrettably so.

The Pulsar you mention is the PSR10? As you probably already know, they have a very high frequency oscillator which is different from the norm. A very slim watch too. There's a couple of interesting threads over on WUS:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/puls...143-print.html