closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is your OCD? SD4000 content. Updated!

Master

How bad is your OCD? SD4000 content. Updated!

Ok so I've just become a very happy owner of a watch I've wanted since seeing the photos on release at Basel; the sublime Sea Dweller 4000 ref 116600.

I acquired it through a superb member of this forum as an unworn, unsized, fully stickered example following a failed attempt to source one at an AD.
    To say I'm over the moon with it is an understatement it's everything I hoped it would be and nothing I didn't. I let go of my 16600 to obtain this which I was a little wary of as I loved that piece, it just did everything I wanted it to do with ease but I felt it lacked a little in certain areas compared to newer pieces. The SD4000 has answered all those issues I felt were there with a fantastic bracelet, larger plots, thicker hands, amazing lume, the list goes on.

My only niggle, and maybe I'm being overly hyper critical, is this: the point of the triangle on the bezel does not line up exactly with the 12 marker leaving it slightly to the right or left!

Now I was a little surprised by this being a (not inexpensive) watch of this calibre. It hasn't spoilt my ownership in any way it's just left me feeling a little well... meh, if you know what I mean. I kind of expected rolex of all brands to have a tad more attention to detail on their watches than most?

So what to do? What would you do? Would it bother you? Would you leave it and live with it or get it sorted? And why would it be like this?

I know my OCD won't let me forget it so I've got to get something done with it. I've called my local (Aberdeen!) AD who've said bring it in with the warranty card and they'll have a look at it. Although they seemed rather reluctant when I said I hadn't bought it from them. They have a watchmaker on site or they will have to send it away which I will have to pay for!

Anyway, mini rant over, any views, thoughts and opinions would be appreciated, especially from owners who may have experienced this too.

Pics:

Last edited by ads54; 24th August 2014 at 13:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not OCD at all. It's wrong and needs to be fixed under warranty. Several ways to achieve that but i'd return it directly to Rolex if you can arrange it.

Master

OCD, but not too OCD...

It would absolutely bother me. It's just about the first thing that I check on all my divers.

Get it sorted, it'll bug you for ever if you don't.

There was a long thread about this fairly recently where the consensus was that this was considered normal for a Rolex these days:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ezel+alignment

Master
    that would bother the heck out of me.

Master

It shouldn't be though should it?

I suppose that's the risk with buying remotely, you're relying on the seller's OCD to be as extreme as your own (not implying that the seller was remiss in any way).

If I were buying this at an AD I would definitely not accept it.

That would annoy the hell out of me, everytime I looked at the watch my eye would be drawn straight to it. Get it sent back to Rolex to fix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    There was a long thread about this fairly recently where the consensus was that this was considered normal for a Rolex these days:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ezel+alignment

Interesting read, thanks.

Let's face it - it's not exactly a defect, is it? The bezel just needs reseating and then the insert can be fitted on in the correct position.

Personally I'd do it myself, but otherwise just leave it until it's convenient to pop into the RSC with it and they'll do it while you wait.

Master
    My SDc and my 16600 are exactly the same, it used to bug me on the SD (my friends SD is the same).

After having a child and watching everything I have amassed and cared for over the years destroyed, by said child, my OCD has largely been removed.

I am sure its a simple trip to the AD for remove and refit? As the DSSD/SubC and BLNR all line up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Let's face it - it's not exactly a defect, is it?
    True, it might not be a defect. But it would certainly bug the hell out of me and isn't what I'd expect.

Craftsman
    Not a problem at all.

Rolex doesn't align their bezelinserts for the Sub or SD, they just put in on there.

The spring allows for 120 clicks all around, that's a 1/2 secondmarker, so, the maximum 'misalignment' for the bezel is just 1/4 of a secondmarker. The spring is there for only one reason and that's to prevent it from turning in the wrong direction, and not to center your triangle.

Most buyers out there won't even bother..., but, the insert can be aligned pretty easily by a competent watchmaker, it's a 5 min 'repair', you can remove the bezel and the ceramic insert is locked with a nylon piece, remove both and you can align the insert to your liking.

This is quite common on Omega dive watches I gather- my PO was always half a click out. Once you've noticed it you cannot un-notice it!

Simple enough fix, well worth doing if it'll make you happy :)

I had my Sub date fixed for this very issue by Rolex st james service centre. Definitely get it sorted during the warranty period.

I unfortunately have another issue now as the bezel seems to have a bit of give when i press down on it. I'll have to go back again. Bit of a pain. So I'd also recommend checking everything carefully when you collect it to save you another trip back.

Journeyman
    If its any consolation mine is the same!

Its possible to line the marks up, by positioning the bezel in between clicks at that point... if that makes any sense.

Its years since I had a dive watch so I can't comment on whether this is normal or not.

Grand Master
    Not uncommon, on the internet anyway. I mean, who buys a Rolex dive watch, and posts to say their bezel is absolutely fine?

Easily adjustable; if it bothers you, and it would me, then back to the dealer. If the watch was properly supplied through a Rolex dealer, the repair will be free. Do not accept any garbage about charging you because that dealer didn't supply it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

If it were me, I would ask Rolex to correct this under warranty. I bought a fairly new Rolex recently and returned this (through a completely different AD) for removal of some dust on the dial (that had become dislodged in transit to me) - Rolex were absolutely fine about the warranty 'repair', I just had to wait 4 weeks. But, if you're near London, then as mentioned they can fix this for you whilst you wait.

For noting, the bezel lines up exactly on my 16600. (o;

Lovely watch by the way, glad you're pleased you made the switch. I'm strongly considering buying one too.

Let's face it - it's not exactly a defect, is it? The bezel just needs reseating and then the insert can be fitted on in the correct position.

Personally I'd do it myself, but otherwise just leave it until it's convenient to pop into the RSC with it and they'll do it while you wait.
    This. I've fixed this issue on a number of cheaper watches, but since they were all constructed the same way, I'd have entertained the notion of doing it myself on this watch too. If the insert is attached with something other than cement, then a Rolex trained watchmaker should be able to tidy it up in about ten minutes.

On most watches you don't even need to remove the bezel. Slipping a needle in between the crystal and the inside edge of the insert, and then working it all the way around, will lift the insert off. Then all you need is to use some fingernail polish remover on a Q-tip to remove the old glue, and a tube of G-S hypo cement to re-attach the insert.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    On most watches you don't even need to remove the bezel. Slipping a needle in between the crystal and the inside edge of the insert, and then working it all the way around, will lift the insert off. Then all you need is to use some fingernail polish remover on a Q-tip to remove the old glue, and a tube of G-S hypo cement to re-attach the insert.
    That'll work on Seiko's just beautifully, but the ceramic on Rolex isn't glued, it's held by a tensionring, putting a needle between the insert and crystal probably would crack the insert when halfway through. Better to remove the complete bezel and remove the insert and ring. Then put it all alligned back on.

But I wouldn't bother, 'cause it's no defect IMO...

Master
    It's interesting to see the "it's not a defect" stance.

If the bezel insert and triangle (and corresponding markers on the dial) are there to measure time....and the triangle doesn't line up correctly...then one can't accurately measure the elapsed time....?

So it _is_ a defect surely? /shrug

Craftsman
    Defect or no defect, it's pretty embarrassing that a company like Rolex cannot get a bezel to align perfectly.

I'm in the defect camp and I would be sending it back as it would bug the hell out of me!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post

If the bezel insert and triangle (and corresponding markers on the dial) are there to measure time....and the triangle doesn't line up correctly...then one can't accurately measure the elapsed time....?

in all sense of the word 'defect' - yes its an imperfection. but its easily fixed.

Craftsman
    It would drive me insane, it's the type of thing I would expect from a cheap £50 watch maybe, from a £?000 Rolex no chance.

Wouldn't bother me enough to send the watch away. Just knowing that I could get it perfect by taking it to St James would be good enough for me.

Grand Master

I disagree; for a watch in this league it should be right. When I refit bezel inserts I go to great lengths to get them aligned correctly; it can be tricky but it needs to be right IMO.

Paul

Craftsman
    I'd loose sleep over that .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Wouldn't bother me enough to send the watch away. Just knowing that I could get it perfect by taking it to St James would be good enough for me.

The OP is some distance from Rolex St James, so doesn't have the walk in luxury option you do

I had this fixed on my skx007 so a no brainer here. Would also expect it to be fine from the start on any watch over say EUR 1000.

I was under the impression that Rolex ceramic inserts are incredibly difficult to remove with damage, unlike the earlier pressed type. Is this not the case?

Master
    Even if the watch cost £100 I would expect basic things like that to be aligned correctly.

Blog Entries
    This is a fault and should be fixed under warranty.

Master
    Im not saying it's a defect, it's just a tad annoying! I'm trying not to lose sleep over it I'm just a little disappointed that's all.

I'm going into Jamieson and Carry tomorrow (if I was closer to St James I wouldn't hesitate going there as had fantastic service from them as a walk in before) so we'll see what they say. I'd rather not be without it for a long period but if it gets it sorted then so be it. Plus I can get the bracelet sized too, will probably get the divers extension taken out as that seems to be the norm.

It would kill me with my OCD I assure you would after moan about it

Journeyman
    Would annoy the heck out of me.

Journeyman
    Should be fixed by Rolex under warranty. It would definitely bother you.

Master
    This is a defect and i personally couldn't live with that, poor quality control.
    I wouldn't accept that with an Skx, nevermind a watch of that quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    This is a defect and i personally couldn't live with that, poor quality control.
    I wouldn't accept that with an Skx, nevermind a watch of that quality.
    I agree. It is unacceptable on any new watch never mind one costing this much.

It should be fixed under warranty.

Banned
    Just spin the bezel and wherever it stops leave it there, thats what I do, mines always getting knocked swimming or gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    The OP is some distance from Rolex St James, so doesn't have the walk in luxury option you do
    Doesn't matter...what I meant to imply is that it isn't broken and can be easily rectified at a time in the future more convenient....possibly in 5 or so years when it's due a service. I don't see why you should choose to lose your watch for months just because of a bezel being half a degree out.

Master
    It would certainly make my teeth itch….but not as much as the way the bracelet end links sit proud of the case lugs. That would really bug me

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Doesn't matter...what I meant to imply is that it isn't broken and can be easily rectified at a time in the future more convenient....possibly in 5 or so years when it's due a service. I don't see why you should choose to lose your watch for months just because of a bezel being half a degree out.

Well it clearly matters to the OP, numerous others and would to me too, so i think wanting it 'right' is a right, not an option. For a few weeks inconvenience i think many contributors here would want and have it sorted. The bezel is off and shouldn't be is all it amounts too.

Ironically it proves the much vaulted Rolex brand aren't perfect.

I guess it depends on how worried you are about it. My solution to the OCD sufferers - look at it face on then close the opposite eye to the side the triangle sits.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Well it clearly matters to the OP, numerous others and would to me too, so i think wanting it 'right' is a right, not an option. For a few weeks inconvenience i think many contributors here would want and have it sorted. The bezel is off and shouldn't be is all it amounts too.

Ironically it proves the much vaulted Rolex brand aren't perfect.
    My eyes would be drawn to that fault every time i looked at it :(

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

WTF?!!

To measure a time with the bezel, the triangle is lined up with the minute hand wherever that maybe,NOT just to an indice!!!!.

But, for me I would get the insert realigned.

- - - Updated - - -

WTF?!!

To measure a time with the bezel, the triangle is lined up with the minute hand wherever that maybe,NOT just to an indice!!!!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    WTF?!!

Oh. :)

You live and learn.

I'd still want it aligning on a new, £6k watch though

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh. :)

You live and learn.

I'd still want it aligning on a new, £6k watch though
    Yep, so would I, also to note anybody who times their dives with a mechanical watch ( I do my O2 add in the bell with mine), always adds a bit for a safety margin anyway.

Mike

This is not OCD, this is plain and simple misalligned. I would go nuts from much less when it comes to bezel allignement.. would get it fixed, the sooner the better

Craftsman
    My LVc. Is abit off too. Be interesting to see if they can fix it there and then

Master
    Wouldn't worry me. I have seen them like that at ADs!

Master
    My view is very simple, based on (i) the relatively expensive cost of the watch; and (ii) according to this thread the simplicity and speed of the fix: at that price it should simply be right when sold. If it bothers you, any AD whether they sold you the watch or not, should care enough about the brand and you as someone who has bought into it to get it sorted.