closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprisingly nice - deblinged Yachty

Surprisingly nice - deblinged Yachty

I was just having a mooch over on TRF and thought this was interesting (and pretty successful IMO). I'd certainly consider it myself now.

Master
    Not for me. I really like the "standard" version. It's supposed to be blingy at the end of the day, being called yacht-master etc.

Banned
    Agree with Wayne here. I've had the silver dial and wifey still has hers. It does what it says on the tin and if it's not for you, there's plenty in the range to turn to.

Mine is in the original format, and like Wayne, I personally prefer it that way. However, if the alternative version is for you, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Not for me. I really like the "standard" version. It's supposed to be blingy at the end of the day, being called yacht-master etc.
    You raise a point I had never considered, would Rolex Diver have had the same cache as Rolex Submariner?
    With hindsight I think I would rather like that.

Craftsman
    i personally prefer it without the cyclops but prefer the PCL and polished brushed lugs. Can certainly see the appeal though, and although others say "theres other in the line if your not a fan of bling" i think this is quite a nice mdpoint for some :)

Craftsman
    Prefer the original, the Sub is there if you want less bling.

Craftsman
    I prefer that to the original but as most posters seem to think there are plenty in the range to satisfy less bling.

If modding is your bag then, in my opinion, that is one of the better ones.

I am not particularly drawn to the original but that just looks like a hooky knock off
    Gray

Blog Entries
    I actually like that and prefer it to the original. Would prefer to see the original platinum dial version given the same treatment as i think its much nicer than the blue faced version.

I saw this on TRF and had to laugh. How is removing the cyclops deblinging...? I've seen that done on many Subs and never thought of the Sub as a bling watch. The PCL's suit that model and the Daytona perfectly, which is why the two are joined at the hip with their case design.

The only thing I'd like to see on a 16622 is a MOP dial from the 16628. I think that would look fab.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 2nd August 2014 at 10:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I saw this on TRF and had to laugh. How is removing the cyclops deblinging...? I've seen that done on many Subs and never thought of the Sub as a bling watch. The PCL's suit that model and the Daytona perfectly, which is why the two are joined at the hip with their case design.
    It's not limited to only removing the cyclops.

Not bad but not for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Yachty is a lovely watch , slightly UN-blinged is helpful but it doesn't solve the whole Rolex problem . I am a very keen supporter of the Rolex brand and dearly love many of their watches, in fact I have 4 of them . Truthfully I am considering selling them as I almost never wear them. This has nothing to do with the quality and beauty of the watches . It is simply that they always attract too much of completely the wrong attention for all the wrong reasons. I am in London for the weekend and I am wearing my Moser Monard. It will not be noticed at all. If by any chance it is noticed , it will almost certainly be for the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    It's not limited to only removing the cyclops.
    I know, which is why I mentioned the PCL's suiting the watch. This mod was made by someone who thinks the YM is a blinged Sub and not related to the Daytona in case design and purpose.

I like it, I would like a brushed millgaus as it is too shiney as it is for me, tried on the new blue dialled one in the week, nice but too shiney. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Agree with Wayne here. I've had the silver dial and wifey still has hers. It does what it says on the tin and if it's not for you, there's plenty in the range to turn to.
    "silver"?

"silver"?

"silver"?

I know, which is why I mentioned the PCL's suiting the watch. This mod was made by someone who thinks the YM is a blinged Sub and not related to the Daytona in case design and purpose.
    How exactly is the Yachtmaster "related to the Daytona in case design and purpose"? Both the case design and the purpose are, in fact, completely different (and therefore unrelated).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    How exactly is the Yachtmaster "related to the Daytona in case design and purpose"? Both the case design and the purpose are, in fact, completely different (and therefore unrelated).
    The case is curved like the Daytona, not like the Sub and has the PCLs. YM and Daytona are very dressy which is their main purpose. Check the side profile of the YM and Daytona, they are the same design.

The case is curved like the Daytona, not like the Sub and has the PCLs. YM and Daytona are very dressy which is their main purpose. Check the side profile of the YM and Daytona, they are the same design.
    I've owned both and the cases couldn't be more different - in fact, there are no similarities whatsoever. (No, that's not true - they're both watches.)

I've owned both and the cases couldn't be more different - in fact, there are no similarities whatsoever. (No, that's not true - they're both watches.)
    Tony, with all due respect you're wrong. The YM is curved like the Daytona and the case polishing is the same.

There's no need to be sarcy.

Blog Entries
    Tony, with all due respect you're wrong. The YM is curved like the Daytona and the case polishing is the same.

Well, it is after all difficult to spot differences with Rolex watches in general....................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Sorry - no offence intended (I just don't agree with you). Anyway, I like what are very minor and reversible mods.

Sorry - no offence intended (I just don't agree with you). Anyway, I like what are very minor and reversible mods.
    Have butcher's at these reviews and you'll see what I mean about the case:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=40684

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=33564

Did Rolex ever make a Rolex Day-Skipper, or Competent Crew? surely that would be less blingy?

The only improvement I would have liked would to have made it 42mm.

Master
    Not for me. It dilutes the distinctive character of the original.

It's Matt Wu's. Good guy and a friend.

He's not afraid to do a mod, even with a Rolex. Sometimes I shake my head, but this one works.

I like it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Did Rolex ever make a Rolex Day-Skipper, or Competent Crew? surely that would be less blingy?
    LOL - here is my Yacht-Master and my Yachtmaster certification.......

Must admit I do like and appreciate the modded watch but I'm a purist and couldn't bring myself to change the original article.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Well done you've earned it

Short and sweet; I totally agree with the OP - it looks a whole lot better to me.

Looks a bit like an Omega Seamaster Americas Cup to my jaundiced eyes.

Yep, I really like the look of that, caveat - never been in the market for or had the money for YM.....

Was the same vanishing procedure to make the PCL's disappear extended to the hairs on his arm? I think we should be told.

Must admit I do like and appreciate the modded watch but I'm a purist and couldn't bring myself to change the original article.
    Looking at the pic of the blue dial at the start it looks as though the crown guards have been left polished, which turns me against this watch even more.

Banned
    I like it, but then I've de-blinged a few bracelets and a watch and also poked the cyclops off my GMT.

I actually like it, but then I cant stand the Cyclops

Master
    im not really a fan of modding. im not really a fan of what has been done although it looks to have been done well.

Master

count me in!!

I know there's a bit of hate for it but I'm liking this slightly understated Yachty!! meets my tastes a little more than the original!!

Hey we are all allowed our own opinion!!😉

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    The only improvement I would have liked would to have made it 42mm.
    Yes, that would have put it on a par with the other >40mm Rolex success stories, like the DSSD and the Explorer II...........

I like the deblinged version.
    Rather a lot actually.
    There are those who are going to immediately dislike it for not looking "authentic", but this could very well point to their being more interested in the branding and having it recognised as a "genuine rollie" than the actual appearance of the watch.

But then Im a big believer that (being as polite as I can) when rolex keep things as simple as possible, they produce their best work. This, in my eyes, is the watch the yachtmaster should be.

Master

Is this a 116622?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Not for me. I really like the "standard" version. It's supposed to be blingy at the end of the day ...
    On the wrist, the 16622, i.e. the Yacht-Master with the platinum dial, isn't "blingy" at all.

After all, it's a grey dial, white gold main hands with very pale green lume, a white date wheel with black numbers, and a grey bezel on a steel watch and a steel bracelet.

Admittedly, the seconds hand is red and there are two red words printed on the dial, but these hardly constitute bling.

In day-to-day wear, the watch is actually quite bland. Indeed, it's been described as an 'albino sub'.

These things said, the polished centre links do glint a bit.

Grand Master
    I was just having a mooch over on TRF and thought this was interesting (and pretty successful IMO). I'd certainly consider it myself now.

There's still some bling around the bezel edge and the raised markings - that should be brushed too, instantly not turning it into the stealth watch that it isn't ;).

Am also of the thought school that says if you want to buy a stealthy watch that everyone will still notice anyway, buy one that came that way. There are stacks that would suit.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I'm with Tony, I like it and the removal of PCL from any Rolex bracelet gets my approval - they're a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    I'm with Tony, I like it and the removal of PCL from any Rolex bracelet gets my approval - they're a nightmare.
    And the date wart removal. Win-win.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice piece.

I love it - winner all around for me. Rolex should've made it that way to begin with IMO.

Journeyman
    Personally I don't like it but I can see positives in it

Master
    I like the removal of the cyclops, but would probably stick with the original PCL