closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent white shirt?

Decent white shirt?

I've got a wedding coming up and I'm trying to find a decent white shirt. I popped in to Next (I know.....) and got a "Signature" shirt for £30 odd quid and it's crap! The neck fits fine but the rest of the shirt is baggy even though it is meant to be "fitted" and the quality can only be described as a school shirt when I want something a bit thicker.

I love Hugo Boss stuff so have been on the website to order, to say the sizing is confusing is an understatement (for someone like myself who never wears formal shirts).

Before I order a load of different sizes I thought I'd ask the question here as I'm sure loads of you wear shirts for work etc?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Gitman vintage do nice stuff and I've got a couple of louis copeland that are a cracking fit. Price wise they ain't cheep but they'll last a while.
    Sizing should just be a case of measuring your neck and a pit to pit measurement will give you an idea of the overall fit . As with allot of online clothes shopping it can be hit or miss.
    I can recommend end clothing for having quality gear and a solid no questions return policy.
    Last edited by Zissou1981; 3rd August 2014 at 12:33.

Journeyman
    http://m.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Ne...-Sleeve-Length TM Lewin sell shirts for a similar price that you paid at next, I would expect it to be better quality and they give customisation options for neck size and sleeve length.

Master
    I bought 2 Boss shirts recently from their shop at Meadowhall.
    Mine are an 18 inch neck and 46 chest ,I've got a bit of a beer gut and made the mistake of buying 1 in slim fit which had a flap to conceal the buttons,looked great in the shop but the buttons are tiny and kept popping open when I was sat down.Ended up taking the darts out which took nearly an hour with a pointy craft knife because the stitching was so fine and perfect.
    The blue one in standard fit was perfect.
    They cost a fortune but worth it because the material and stitching is amazing.
    I would say just go for your normal sizing in terms of collar size but stick to standard fit unless you've got a washboard stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I love Hugo Boss stuff so have been on the website to order, to say the sizing is confusing is an understatement (for someone like myself who never wears formal shirts).

Before I order a load of different sizes I thought I'd ask the question here as I'm sure loads of you wear shirts for work etc?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers
    Why not pop into the Boss shop?

Blog Entries
    http://www.johnlewis.com/daniel-hech...8?imageCount=1

Theese are a good shirt at the price especially if its a one off, IMO Next are total crap and Boss a total rip off but Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt are reasonable for the money or of course dear old M&S.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    http://www.johnlewis.com/daniel-hech...8?imageCount=1

These are a good shirt at the price especially if its a one off, IMO Next are total crap and Boss a total rip off but Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt are reasonable for the money or of course dear old M&S.
    Is right.

If fit is a problem, try

http://www.marksandspencer.com/s/men...measure-shirts

Master
    http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shir...,4789,||||||||

Go for a sea island cotton if you want something special

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Why not pop into the Boss shop?

Would love to but the nearest one is a 200 mile round trip!

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Would love to but the nearest one is a 200 mile round trip!
    Thought u lived near cardiff.

Is there no house of fraser or decent menswear shops near where u live?

Master
    I would recommend to try on tailor fit shirts from John Lewis (ideally non iron). They are not the cheapest but reasonable priced at around £40 and from experience there isn't much better out there at this price point.

Blog Entries
    If you go for C Tyrwhitt do not forget your voucher codes

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/charlestyrwhitt.co.uk

Master
    Vfm Charles tyrwhitt are the best

if you want a really good shirt try gieves and hawkes or turnbull or eton

Journeyman
    If you buy from Charles Tyrwhitt use an email address that you don't care about unless you don't mind marketing emails, because no matter how many times I unsubscribe I still receive them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vost View Post
    If you buy from Charles Tyrwhitt use an email address that you don't care about unless you don't mind marketing emails, because no matter how many times I unsubscribe I still receive them.
    The same applies, even more annoyingly, to their paper catalogues despite asking them 3 or 4 times to desist. Still, they do very decent shirts.

Boss: I find that their jackets and shirts are far too tight in the arms and armpits - and I’m not a porker or particularly heavily muscled.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The same applies, even more annoyingly, to their paper catalogues despite asking them 3 or 4 times to desist. Still, they do very decent shirts.

Boss: I find that their jackets and shirts are far too tight in the arms and armpits - and I’m not a porker or particularly heavily muscled.
    Yea I forgot about those. I think they stopped after a few months of me not buying anything.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if tyrrwhit or tmlewin do alterations to their shirts??

I like a slant putting in the back of my more expensive casual shirts, its well worth spending £20 on a £100+ shirt to have it done but on a shirt for work that's only £25 to begin with isn't!!!

Banned
    Have you looked here

http://www.thomaspink.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Does anyone know if tyrrwhit or tmlewin do alterations to their shirts??

I like a slant putting in the back of my more expensive casual shirts, its well worth spending £20 on a £100+ shirt to have it done but on a shirt for work that's only £25 to begin with isn't!!!
    I know CT does but they only list sleeve shortening, pocket adding andd monogramming

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Have you looked here

Yes, they're cost-prohibitive.

I can get shirts hand-made for just over £100 at a tailor in Manchester, but I go through shirts quite quickly (I work 6 days, usually have 4 shirts in the rotation but it's very easy to get oil on the cuffs, ink in the collar etc etc) so £25-40 per shirt is the absolute maximum! My issue is I'm an 18inch neck, 46inch chest. An 18"collar shirt has a minimum 50" chest... As I worst a suit most days, a too-big shirt is not the end of the world, but I'd like to invest in some "more fitted" shirts to wear without jackets...

As mentioned, I use a tailor to adjust expensive clothing, but it costs a minimum £20 per adjust. I can't bring myself to pay £20 to adjust a shirt that cost £20!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I know CT does but they only list sleeve shortening, pocket adding andd monogramming
    Thanks! I may go to tmlewin in the Trafford centre this week for a chat! Sound like they're CAPABLE of doing the job if they can shorten sleeves, as it's actually easier than that!!

TM Lewin do a good range of fits, I am 16.5in neck but a 42 chest and 32 waist, their Francome(?) fully fitted tapers very nicely without too much excess material and is what I shall be wearing for my wedding in less than two weeks, eek!

Ready to laugh?

Having bought lewin, next, m&s etc I'm not ashamed to say I tried a really cheap shirt in asda....
    Yep freaking asda!
    Two shirts for ten quid
    17 inch collar - skin fit
    Nice shirts
    Easy to iron
    Stay white as white
    Slim fit just means no big baggy belly extras
    I get loads of the guys at work asking where I buy them, and they are stunned when I tell.

Primark also sell decent quality work gear too.
    Just bought trousers and waistcoat for a total if just £24
    If I had a list of people who commented how smart I looked today I'd be loaded!

Used to buy ted baker suits etc..
    It's all bolllocks these days - the stuff is excellent fit and good quality for "mop the floor with it" prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Have you looked here

I have been buying my shirt from Pink for years.Come to the conclusion that they are over priced and at 90 quid a shirt with no mother of pearl button etc .Charles Tyrwhitt is very good value for money and good quality as well.(if your normally slim fit go for charles extra slim fit as their normal slimfit is quite loose )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Yes, they're cost-prohibitive.

I can get shirts hand-made for just over £100 at a tailor in Manchester, but I go through shirts quite quickly (I work 6 days, usually have 4 shirts in the rotation but it's very easy to get oil on the cuffs, ink in the collar etc etc) so £25-40 per shirt is the absolute maximum! My issue is I'm an 18inch neck, 46inch chest. An 18"collar shirt has a minimum 50" chest... As I worst a suit most days, a too-big shirt is not the end of the world, but I'd like to invest in some "more fitted" shirts to wear without jackets...

As mentioned, I use a tailor to adjust expensive clothing, but it costs a minimum £20 per adjust. I can't bring myself to pay £20 to adjust a shirt that cost £20!!!
    Try this then.

http://www.austinreed.co.uk/fcp/cate...s-formalshirts

Another vote for m&s. Their sartorial slim fit is a fantastic twill and isn't too slim, but is definitely fitted... I buy 5 white ones every six months for work...

http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-...1?colour=White

Craftsman
    My favorites are the Pink Slim Fit Traveler £69 100% cotton, very easy to iron but but maintain there just pressed crease free look all day. The only down side is they are a bit itchy when new and it helps if you iron them inside out. It's some thing to do with the cotton treatment that makes them a bit itchy http://www.thomaspink.com/Robin-Plai...lim+fit+shirts

The Charles Tyrwhitt versions are about half the price, £35 feel a bit thinner, are just as easy to iron, but don't maintain the just pressed look of the Pink shirts.

I have found that the CT shirts make great casual shirts but if you want to out smart everyone by the end of the day the Pink Traveler's are unbeatable.

I have tried lots of other alternatives, M&S, John Lewis, made to measure and always go back to the Pink Traveler.

another vote for M&S i used to have 2 of their white shirts per day for work. i had a real job then culverhouse cross might be your best bet - decent size branch with a good range of menswear

these days i get really dirty so its just polo shirts for me - but if you are near cardiff then there is a tmlewin at mcarthur glen near J36 M4 lots of decent enough shirts for 20'odd quid and up. perhaps half of my smart casual shirts are from there.

Next is rubbish office wear for the debt burdened graduate at the best of times but if you pop into the next at mcglen you can always have a good laugh at what some folks wear without having a gun pointed at their heads...

boss is ok but overpriced and not does not suit my robust figure. asda and primark - not sure why you would go to a wedding if you dont like the people but if you choose to look like the defendant then that is up to you. boss is available in cardiff and cwmbran at house of fraser btw ...

this assumes you do actually live near cardiff.

p.s. easy iron shirts are for idiots who need date windows and shouldn't be allowed out on their own !

Master
    Have a look at Evocha... A new British company, had a few from them and the fit is the best I've found ( including Pink)

www.evocha.com

Cheers
    Alan

Master
    Have you looked at Emmett?

http://www.emmettlondon.com

I have about 6 of their shirts - very nicely made. They have a sale twice a year and their summer sale is on now.

Banned
    Most important thing is to get the fit right and that means you need to try a few brands and fits. I prefer TM Lewin to CT as I find them notably better quality at the same price point. If it fits well and is decent quality you will look good (subject to whats underneath the shirt of course!)

i love sea island cotton but it is quite expensive and not as durable as others - Ralph Lauren purple label are very good.

Phew, I need to get my eyes tested - I thought it said "Decent white Skirt" !

There are many I could go through and many have been mentioned already - but to keep it easy, and you seem like a no-nonsense type of guy , no faffing (and let's be honest, you went to Next first..no offence :) ) I'll just say go to Charles Tyrwhitt - excellent shirts at good prices and they look good after a few washes too. They often have 4 or 5 for £100 and voucher codes you can use on top. £20 or less for one of their shirts is a bargain.

Journeyman
    I go with Charles Trywhitt. Good quality and they always have some sort of discount available.

For me, the extra slim fit is a great - fitted but plenty of breathing space.

Master
    Charles Tyrwhitt are great value, but I find the single cuffs less than generous.
    I have quite large wrists and find the cuffs barely fit over most watches.
    T M Lewin are more generous in the cuff, but not as good quality overall.

Banned
    Funny, I said exactly the opposite about the respective quality earlier!

Master
    I've had a few from TM Lewin that looked faded and tatty after several months wear and washing, but never had the same with a Tyrwhitt.

Thomas Reid
    I have a couple of Bivolino made to measure shirts. Perfect fit first time, and not terribly expensive.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Banana Republic Slim Fit Non Iron shirts are fantastic!

Thanks for all the info, I've bought a few Boss one's, will see how they fit when they arrive.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Classic Brutus trimfit
    http://www.brutus-trimfit.com

Or mikkel rude
    http://mikkelrude.co.uk/index.php?id...oller=category

These both do very nice correctly darted and fitted shirts

I've heard pink shirts are quite nice.

Craftsman
    Eterna redline would suit the OP, you always pick them up for around £33 in the sale -

www.eternadirect.com

Every work shirt I have is from Eterna, if splashing out, I go for Eton.

Blog Entries
    Bought from Hawes and Curtis myself today, I paid £120 for 4 shirts in their "Curtis" range.

Very impressed with the fit, as they matched my collar with an extra slim fit which gave a 46chest and an 18" collar which is exactly my size!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I've had a few from TM Lewin that looked faded and tatty after several months wear and washing, but never had the same with a Tyrwhitt.
    How odd. But I rotate quite a large number of shirts and have them professionally laundered so perhaps I am just not seeing it.

Journeyman
    Charles T non iron white shirts are great.... I find normal white shirts looks scruffy once you have worn for a while. The non iron ones looks basically the same all day

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I used to buy Lewin when I first started working about ten years ago..but after a few years, I noticed their quality dipped and indeed the shirts looked poor after repeated washing. Tyrwhitt ones definitely age better considering they are in the same price bracket.

I've also tried Hawes & Curtis and various other 'City' brands but Tyrwhitt are currently my first choice.

zsayub116610
    I have the same shirt and its definitely among the best I've had! Excellent fit as well :-)

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/uk-en/sho...ESIaAl-R8P8HAQ

J Crew or Gitman Vintage or Oliver Spencer for white formal shirts

If you want a good quality and nice modern smart fit J Crew can't be beat. Nice suits too

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/dressshirts.jsp

I'd avoid Boss though, utter crap in my opinion. Cheap tat
    Last edited by Albellisimo; 8th August 2014 at 05:03.

Well, all the shirts arrived yesterday, what a flippin' faff this has all been!

I got a couple from Hugo Boss and a couple from Thomas Pink, I've decided to keep the Boss one as the fit, quality of cotton and look is spot on!

One of the TP ones was nigh on £200 and the quality was poor compared to the Boss! I think for £99 the Boss represents great value and can be worn with a suit and tie or just casual with jeans.

Thanks for all your help with this lads!