closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do I clean this?

Apprentice

How do I clean this?

Hey, I'm new to the forum.

Just to cheer everyone up, I didn't search and thought I'd ask a really silly question.

How do I clean my daily wearer:

Journeyman
    Soap, water and an old toothbrush is what I use. I think this gets asked a lot so worth doing a search.

I have also used a Cape Cod cloth on the bezel of my Explorer 214270 and a green washing up scrubby thing on the brushed parts - both with success.

Oops...posted links to some info here: Link.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Soap, water and an old toothbrush
    Think this is the way to go.

Just a little dish soap and some warm water ans washing by hand is the way to go.

The toothbrush method is your best bet, but bear in mind that there's going to be a load of cruddy old DNA attached to your watch, so don't take any chances.

Use your wife's toothbrush.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do not use a Cape Cod to clean, they are abrasive- great for removing minor swirls etc but not suitable for cleaning IMO.

Ultrasonic bath are not expensive, and can be used on more items than just your bracelet.

Soap, water and an old toothbrush is what I use. I think this gets asked a lot so worth doing a search.

I have also used a Cape Cod cloth on the bezel of my Explorer 214270 and a green washing up scrubby thing on the brushed parts - both with success.
    See the bold bit? I'd ignore that.

Yes - green washing up scrubby things are for refinishing titanium, as any fule kno

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    See the bold bit? I'd ignore that.
    Lol I was given that advice by a Rolex AD manager, obviously a brand new one and lightly and it worked really well getting rid of some desk diving marks on the clasp. I am quite brave though ;-)

This is all you need.

Lol I was given that advice by a Rolex AD manager, obviously a brand new one and lightly and it worked really well getting rid of some desk diving marks on the clasp. I am quite brave though ;-)
    Yep, works well, however, it didn't so much clean it as rescratch the metal

I wonder if he was just testing how far he could push it? Green washing scrubby thing with you, an angle grinder with the next bloke, the guy after that gets told to throw it through a combine harvester.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The toothbrush method is your best bet, but bear in mind that there's going to be a load of cruddy old DNA attached to your watch, so don't take any chances.

Ha ha, best laugh I've had all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ultrasonic bath are not expensive, and can be used on more items than just your bracelet.
    This.

Don't use the ultrasonic cleaner on the watch, it might loosen some of the tiny screws inside the movement. But there is nothing better to give the bracelet a good cleaning. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rnoon-cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Bradt Pitt View Post
    Ha ha, best laugh I've had all day!
    Yes - and I've actually done that!

Master

cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Im following this method next time! not the toothbrush suggestion as I've always done this but the using your wifes!!!!😄 Love it!!!

Chris

Why oh why do people continually use the green scorhbrite/Brillo pads on their watches?!?
    Okay, you've removed the odd swirlie hairline mark that was bothering you, but does it not bother you more that the entire bracelet now has a messed up, uneven, non-factory finish????

I assume the compulsive need to use these pads is to keep the watches in "good condition" the irony of course being it does anything but!

*SIGH*
    Last edited by Dent99; 6th August 2014 at 12:58.

Why oh why indeed. I have seen too many hack jobs done on brushed finishes. Even experienced sellers will try to sell them on as "like new" "barely worn" "factory fresh". When in reality they look like someone's attacked the watch with a scouring pad, emery paper, brushing block and had no idea what they were doing.
    Gray

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ti0101 View Post
    Hey, I'm new to the forum.

Just to cheer everyone up, I didn't search and thought I'd ask a really silly question.

How do I clean my daily wearer:
    Good grief, how hard can it be? Just pop it in the dishwasher and bobs your uncle.

If you are confident about removing and re-attaching the bracelet then an ultrasonic cleaner is indeed a very good tip. It's also not a difficult sell to the other half once you point out that she can put her jewellery through it. I mentioned this to my wife and she's actually reminded me a couple of times since that I was talking of buying one - unfortunately I've not seen them with a significant reduction in the Maplin sale since I mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Why oh why indeed. I have seen too many hack jobs done on brushed finishes. Even experienced sellers will try to sell them on as "like new" "barely worn" "factory fresh". When in reality they look like someone's attacked the watch with a scouring pad, emery paper, brushing block and had no idea what they were doing.
    Tell me about it. It is my own personal pet peeve as the single worst piece of advice I continually read on watch forums the world over.
    Everyone has a pad in their kitchen drawer and when someone online says "I used one with fantastic results" it inspires those who trust everything they read on the internet, who don't know any better, to have a crack at massacring their watch.

And I HATE it when sellers describe their badly refinished watches the way you describe. You CAN tell a badly refinished watch a mile off, and I avoid those sorts of sellers unless I wanted a beater. The irony of course is that to the untrained eye the watches look in good nick, so these more 'professional' looking sellers usually end up netting higher prices!

It is nigh impossible for the untrained to achieve/replicate the correct fineness and correct positioning of a factory/services finish. Despite whatever some hardcore DIY refinisher will claim to the contrary!

Give me an honest watch, warts and all every day of the week. That or a properly refinished one by either the manufacturer or reputable watchmaker.
    Last edited by Dent99; 6th August 2014 at 12:56.

If you're confident in separating the head from the bracelet the an ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go for the bracelet. If your better half if a bit dubious about you getting one have her jewellery cleaned in one and she will probably end up buying one for you. The head usually gets the wet wipes and Q Tips treatment.

Craftsman
    Fun thread!

;)

If your unsure of the water resistance then baby wipes and a toothbrush will clean just about anything

Grand Master
    Washing up liguid, and-warm water and an old soft toothbrush. Just be sure the crown's closed otherwise it'll end badly.

Brushed finishes can be improved/touch up using a fibreglass pen CAREFULLY (one direction, and keep it straight). This is ideal for the scuffs that a brushed finish picks up. Be sure to wash the bracelet afterwards to get rid of he fibreglass bits.

I don`t like refinishing parts of the watch or bracelet using scotchbrite pads or garryflex blocks; no matter how carefully it's done there's always a risk of the finish standing out against the rest. It's fine if you're happy to refinish the whole thing but you need to practice first and be confident you can get it right. It's surprisingly difficult to get the brushing dead-straight.

Paul

Master
    Resurrected this thread rather than start another -

I want to put my speedmaster bracelet into my ultrasonic. It's the latest 314xxxxx reference with the screws and I've loctited them all.

Can anyone advise what effect the ultrasonic will have on the loctite, am I going to have to go round and refit them all afterwards? Is it in fact worth me removing them all anyway beforehand to ensure a thorough clean?

Grand Master
    I wouldn`t worry about it, I`d just dunk it in (bracelet, not watch head).

If the screws loosen you'll know about it because they'll feel loose. If they feel OK then they are OK.

One tip: fill the sonic bath with clean water, then take an old glass jar and put the detergent solution and watch in that. Put the lot in the sonic bath, change the water, in the jar, repeat etc etc. Far less messy than not using a glass jar. The ultrasonic vibration goes straight through the glass and transmits through the cleaning medium.

Paul

Just pee on it and wipe it with your tie:-)
    Lovely watch,btw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I wouldn`t worry about it, I`d just dunk it in (bracelet, not watch head).

If the screws loosen you'll know about it because they'll feel loose. If they feel OK then they are OK.

One tip: fill the sonic bath with clean water, then take an old glass jar and put the detergent solution and watch in that. Put the lot in the sonic bath, change the water, in the jar, repeat etc etc. Far less messy than not using a glass jar. The ultrasonic vibration goes straight through the glass and transmits through the cleaning medium.

Paul
    Thanks Paul, good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Just pee on it and wipe it with your tie:-)
    Lovely watch,btw.
    That's what classy people do. If you're not classy you don't wear ties...

Simon