closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS53

Craftsman

PRS53

Hi,
    I was considering purchasing the PRS53, however it is available in two versions. I would appreciate opinions - manual wind or automatic? Many thanks.

Thomas Reid
    It depends on whether you prefer manual wind or automatics. It doesn't seem to me that one is intrinsically better than the other. I happen to have a preference for manual wind. But, see no reason why others should share my predilection.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    It depends on whether you prefer manual wind or automatics. It doesn't seem to me that one is intrinsically better than the other. I happen to have a preference for manual wind. But, see no reason why others should share my predilection.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    x2

I went with the HW - I swap watches a fair bit so the automatic winding actually provides little benefit to me.

Someone wrote a decent review of the '53 here: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31203

Sorry, but I just couldn't help the shameless self promotion

Journeyman
    Count number three for the hand-wind PRS-53. If you do not wear a watch every day, so as to keep an automatic wound, it seems to make more sense to go with the HW. My PRS-53 has a good power reserve, in contrast to other watches I have with the ETA 2801 movement. Eddie (our Host) does a great job with his products. You won't be disappointed with either movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayman
    ...... If you do not wear a watch every day, so as to keep an automatic wound, it seems to make more sense to go with the HW...........
    Well said. If only to be used occassionally the HW and if to be used a lot the Auto. An automatic is also more likely to retain any water resistance there is. Assuming you are going to wear the watch a lot and don't fiddle with the crown every day.

john
    Every watch a story.

I went for the hand-wound too. I love the interaction with hand-wound watches, and it's more in keeping with the model it is a homage to. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I went for the hand-wound too. I love the interaction with hand-wound watches, and it's more in keeping with the model it is a homage to. :)
    Same here! I prefer the handwound version!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I have the hand-wound version and agree with the comments above. However, the auto can be hand wound too and if you wear it a lot you will appreciate the convenience.

I bought the handwound

And if you are a tightwad, like me, the handwound version is 15 quid cheaper.

I have the hand wind and it's a pleasure to use - of course I have another twenty (ish) watches to play with so an auto movement isn't a great advantage.

But I seem to remember Eddie has lots of Autos - so buy one of those to reduce his stockpile :lol:

PS. Having said all that my HW PRS-20 hasn't stopped running / being wound since it arrived :)

Craftsman
    Slightly off-topic, but I own the automatic version of the PRS-53. As it has the ETA 2324 movement, I was wondering if someone could tell me whether the date wheel is turning merrily away all by itself, just behind the dial, or whether it's been removed? I know this sounds very bizarre, but, for some strange reason, the thought of an unseen, phantom date wheel, seems a bit disconcerting...

Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    ............ I know this sounds very bizarre, but, for some strange reason, the thought of an unseen, phantom date wheel, seems a bit disconcerting...
    Spooky or what? :pale:

john
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman
    The reason I ask is that, if the date wheel is there, I might be tempted to get one of the Yao Type 53 dials and make a Precista/Yao hybrid. Any thoughts?

The reason I ask is that, if the date wheel is there, I might be tempted to get one of the Yao Type 53 dials and make a Precista/Yao hybrid. Any thoughts?
    There are a couple of people here who have used the 53 as a basis for a mod, but I can't remember if any of them used date dials. Crusader is one, you might ask him?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Good plan, Dave. Will do.

Only the thought that you give it some time on your wrists before you finally decide.
    I prefer a date window normally, but the '53 is such a little thing of beauty and harmony the way it is that I for mine wouldn't want it to be any other way. (well, I am prone to modding things, so I'm not going to say it will never change, but I think it is unlikely)

Get one, wear it and then decide :D

Craftsman
    There's my problem, Mercutio. I do own the auto version of the PRS-53, and now that I've started thinking "hmm, maybe there IS a date wheel in here somewhere," I can't quite get the thought out of my head...!

Grand Master
    I like handwind, but I got the auto PRS-53.

I was terrified of the void in the case with the slimmer, handwound movement.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I like handwind, but I got the auto PRS-53.

I was terrified of the void in the case with the slimmer, handwound movement.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

john
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman
    Look, is it my fault if I'm the sensitive, artistic type, prone to existential watch angst, hmm..?

:wink: