closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bike gear shifter help!!

Bike gear shifter help!!

I know there are a few cyclists on the forum so hoping someone can give me a little help. My son has a mountain bike with SRAM X3 trigger shifters. These were working ok last time he went for a ride, but today the rear trigger would not go below 5th gear. 7th to 6th is fine, 6th to 5th is ok on and off, 5th and below the trigger clicks when you try and shift but the cable does not move, neither does the derailleur (unsurprisingly) or the gear indicator on the shifter. No idea why this has started to happen as the shifters are fairly new so shouldn't be wearing out.

Anyone with any ideas please let me know asap as we have a cycling holiday coming up this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
    I know there are a few cyclists on the forum so hoping someone can give me a little help. My son has a mountain bike with SRAM X3 trigger shifters. These were working ok last time he went for a ride, but today the rear trigger would not go below 5th gear. 7th to 6th is fine, 6th to 5th is ok on and off, 5th and below the trigger clicks when you try and shift but the cable does not move, neither does the derailleur (unsurprisingly) or the gear indicator on the shifter. No idea why this has started to happen as the shifters are fairly new so shouldn't be wearing out.

Anyone with any ideas please let me know asap as we have a cycling holiday coming up this weekend!!
    I'd check:
    1. the gear cable is running freely in the outer
    2. the derailleur is able to move freely;
    3. the derailleur spring is good

I'd also check the adjuster screw on the derailleur.

Cheers

Not much luck so far. I've just picked up another set of triggers in case that is the problem. Fairly cheap components so hopefully that will do the trick

Replacement trigger shifter fitted and working fine straightaway. Oddly, the old shifter moves up and down the whole 7*gear range smoothly whilst unattached!!