closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Single watch suggestions.

Single watch suggestions.

I'm sure there's a few threads dedicated to this subject but was just wondering what you guys would suggest if I were to chuck them all in and become a one watch man.

I'm looking at between £2500-3000 but there are so many watches out there within this price range I really needs some pointers and pictures. It has to be auto, new or 2nd hand is fine and have no real preference to stainless or leather strap. I'm trying to steer away from a speedie as I feel I may be inclined to flip after a while and would rather have something a little different.

Cheers

FFF

Banned
    I'd buy this and treat me to a night out with the change.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...eramic-%A32250

SMP 2254.50?

this little thing of beauty, if it hangs around much longer ill be cancelling the Dodane and going for it myself. dressy, chrono, classy, less obvious than most, superb movement, has more than a little of the .......actually, this is not the watch you are looking for

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=zenith

Banned
    A Planet Ocean would be a good choice, a great watch that you could wear every day.

Last edited by Captainhowdy; 8th August 2014 at 21:31.

Master

Banned
    As I said on another similar thread, 40mm polar explorer II is what I would go for.

Predictable but I can't see past a 114270. Perfect size, goes with anything, robust movement and just looks superb IMO. You could get a late model full set for the top end of your budget.

Master
    if i was picking for myself from the watches i already own, it would be my seawolf avenger. might be a bit bulky for most people to wear with a suit but i dont mind it. it definately ticks the box for eveything else i do so thats my recommendation, steel seawolf avenger, black with batons, good for everything.

Journeyman
    I'm having the same quandary so following this post closely for some good suggestions....my head is saying PO at the moment.

Craftsman
    White or grey dialed aqua terra with a good chunk of change left over

If it were me then I'd have to say an Explorer I. I've thought about this for a while before replying and I think this would give you everything you could ever need and for every activity and occasion.

David

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    if i was picking for myself from the watches i already own, it would be my seawolf avenger. might be a bit bulky for most people to wear with a suit but i dont mind it. it definately ticks the box for eveything else i do so thats my recommendation, steel seawolf avenger, black with batons, good for everything.
    Yeh I'm liking the Seawolf, I prefer a chunkier bigger watch so the polar and the 114270 would be too small.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I'm sure there's a few threads dedicated to this subject but was just wondering what you guys would suggest if I were to chuck them all in and become a one watch man.

I'm looking at between £2500-3000 but there are so many watches out there within this price range I really needs some pointers and pictures. It has to be auto, new or 2nd hand is fine and have no real preference to stainless or leather strap. I'm trying to steer away from a speedie as I feel I may be inclined to flip after a while and would rather have something a little different.

Cheers

FFF
    2nd hand grand Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    If it were me then I'd have to say an Explorer I. I've thought about this for a while before replying and I think this would give you everything you could ever need and for every activity and occasion.

David
    Trying to keep it over 40 mm, anything smaller just look silly on me IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Creation View Post
    2nd hand grand Seiko?
    Or a boxful for your budget

Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    White or grey dialed aqua terra with a good chunk of change left over
    Yeh do like the white dial version with the blue batons

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    SMP 2254.50?

Having just bought a Speedmaster to go with my 2254.50 I'd have to say +1! They are truly great watches, and buying the Speedie has made me realise that. (But of course I love the Speedie too)

Craftsman
    Would have to be an Aqua terra at that price for me. A railmaster if you could find one.

Master
    Hard to argue against the AT, even thought just 41.5mm, but for less money, you could opt for the Ball Red Label 43mm, if you fancy tritium.
    Similar a little off the path normally tread, you could strap a GO on – a Sport Evo like so, or a bit of haggling and upping the budget for a bracelet version.

Banned
    Trying to keep it over 40 mm, anything smaller just look silly on me IMO.
    Are you Goliath's big brother?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Are you Goliath's big brother?
    Not particularly but I'm used to my Oris which is 47 mm and just think that anything smaller looks a bit silly.

Not particularly but I'm used to my Oris which is 47 mm and just think that anything smaller looks a bit silly.
    It's not how big it is....

Journeyman
    Breitling Super Ocean Heritage 42mm on rubber? Or you could get the 46mm for under £3k too, which looks even nicer (date at 6)?

Craftsman
    what's not to love.....

*disclaimer* not my photos and therefore any credit to the actual owner.

Blog Entries
    Tough one as I have a XL PO and 14060 which would both fit with your budget and I could not even begin to decide which one.

Having Said this I think I would say PO, no I mean 14060, no I mean PO.......

Paul

zsayub116610
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    A Planet Ocean would be a good choice, a great watch that you could wear every day.

i second this! The PO8500 would be perfect!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Tough one as I have a XL PO and 14060 which would both fit with your budget and I could not even begin to decide which one.

Having Said this I think I would say PO, no I mean 14060, no I mean PO.......

Paul
    Contrary to my above post my daily wear is my Mark XVII. Comfortable understated quality that does not shout.

Not everyones cuppa but you could always look at a Mark XV or XVI

Paul

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned last time this thread was aired, Omega PO8500 45mm ceramic. You could even put leather on it to make it dressy!

A lot of very conservative advice being given here.

If it's to be "the one", shouldn't it be something less unobtrusive/unnoticeable?

I'd go for something from the extensive Corum Admiral's Cup range, just to be different.

One watch covering dress or sporty would have to be an older Rolex Explorer I for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pelagos?
    I was in the same boat as you regarding size a couple of years ago. However, buying an LV and then an SD, both at 40mm demonstrated to me at least that they wear fine. I prefer the SD as it is thicker. Probably not possible for £3K but your not a million miles away to a used 16600. Sorry to troll out the old 'buy a Rolex' line but its popular for a reason ;)

Your probably about £1k over top budget for a 16600 but the explorer. 1, 2, datejust or possibly a GMT master would fit in your budget.

Craftsman
    For £3k you can get a decent 14060. As good an 'only watch' as I can think of, and won't lose money

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    As mentioned last time this thread was aired, Omega PO8500 45mm ceramic. You could even put leather on it to make it dressy!
    About as dressy as a U-Boat, only thicker ;)

A single watch needs to avoid being a liability. A big, hunking sportswatch is good for dad barbecues but if you ever need to wear something smart (and even hipsters have to go to funerals once in a while), it wouldn't be a practical option. DJ, Aqua Terra, slim dive watch I'd go for.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Personally if I could only keep one watch it would probably be this or my seadweller (already discounted on cost grounds).

If a Steve McQueen Monaco could be had for that, should be easily 2nd hand, that would be my choice. Fabulous watch, especially on the bracelet. I had one and wish I'd kept it.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    If a Steve McQueen Monaco could be had for that, should be easily 2nd hand, that would be my choice. Fabulous watch, especially on the bracelet. I had one and wish I'd kept it.
    I would agree except for the acrylic crystal..... An "only" watch would need to be sapphire or other tough crystal....

The latest calibre 12 version has sapphire but is unavailable used at the price point?

Another vote for the Aqua Terra here. A better sport/dressy compromise than most, especially if you get a strap to go with the bracelet.

One watch means everyday watch to me so I'd recommend a screw down crown and a metal bracelet so you can wear it and forget about it.

You couldn't go wrong with a classic dive watch so whatever particular model floats your boat when it comes to Seamasters/Submariners etc.

But if you want something more versatile then an Aqua Terra would be even better and is the perfect watch for all occasions.

Craftsman
    Well I like the Planet Ocean, it's a nice watch. But it's very common to see people wearing them. For Omega I'd go for an Aqua Terra or possibly a Speedy 57 broad arrow, you can get a strap and bracelet to change the looks with the seasons.

Another good choice I think is the Explorer II, pick up the older model which is slightly smaller and your money will be as safe as anything when it comes to flipping time.

Personally If I could only have one watch in the price range I'd go for a JLC Master Control. Even push the boat out slightly and pick up the Hometime which is for sale in Watchclub for just under 4k.

Craftsman
    in this price range I would look at the Damasko inhouse series. Excellent quality and the watch will look great even after a long time like new. A good thing for a "one watch guy" ;)

Master
    Another vote for the 16570 Polar Explorer. Love mine.