closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC: How I became a 2 watch man

SOTC: How I became a 2 watch man

Inspired by the 'one watch man' thread currently running......

After many years of dipping in and out of the hobby mainly with either classic dress or Russian utility watches, last year I signed up here and as is usual a process of buying and flipping started. Nothing too expensive but some interesting pieces all the same. A number of Seiko divers / Amphibias, budget chronos and assorted others came and went. As this year has progressed things have slowed down and become calmer. I am now left with two watches that are both explorer inspired. In fact I sold my Zeno Ex recently as it was so similar - the deciding factor being that the lug gaps when on leather were too great for my taste whilst these two look good on straps or bracelets

I am quite content with these at the moment - and have glanced briefly at watches that a while back I would have bought on impulse from SC and then moved on. I have posted on various other threads about them but to recap, the Seiko SNXS79K on the left, as a present from SWMBO is a keeper and now that it is fitted with explorer style dial and hands feels just right. I have a nice bracelet for occasional use but much prefer it on this TSS Atlas vintage strap. The Alpinist is the second Ive owned, the first being flipped quickly to fund something or other that is now long gone - something I regretted almost immediately. This one I bought new and managed to source an oyster style bracelet which is OK for a change now and then but its on this nice gold brown Hirsch that it feels best to me. It is a beautiful watch and I really cant see me ever getting bored with it.

So, how long will it remain at two? Well nothing is really calling to me at the moment other than a good condition Pogue that could be worn mainly on a Di Modell Rallye strap with an OE bracelet on occasion - however having had my fingers burnt with the last one Im in no hurry. I do think that I will probably turn into a 3 watch man at some point this year though.

Cheers
    Ian

A nice looking duo that look just great on brown straps.

Master

Unhappy Could i do that?

I'm glad you're sorted, for now ;)
    I constantly think about selling all of my watches, and having just one, but could i live like that? As i get bored after a few hours wear, constantly chopping and changing.
    The brand that made me think of having just one watch was a Grand Seiko 3 hander.
    Regarding your watches, it's great to see the size comparisons of the five and the Alpinist, the five looks great modded too.
    Enjoy them ;)

Master
    Glad you managed this but for me, a bit samey? I don't mean any offence at all... if it was me I'd at least have different colour straps that's all.

A nice twosome Ian, let me know when you want to swap the Alpinist for another Amphibia.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Glad you managed this but for me, a bit samey? I don't mean any offence at all... if it was me I'd at least have different colour straps that's all.
    Fair point

I did wear the SNXS on a black Hirsch for quite some time but decided that I preferred it on brown leather

This is worn exclusively for work where I find the simple clear dial very practical

A nice Pogue, when the time comes, will be an acceptable move away from the explorer theme I think

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    A nice twosome Ian, let me know when you want to swap the Alpinist for another Amphibia.
    Dont hold your breath!

Every time I reduce down to just a few they are, to the casual observer, the same. To me it's the subtle differences I enjoy while wearing a style I know I like. Nice pairing
    Gray

Interesting that there seem to be a few on here taking a more minimalist approach to watch ownership.

I wonder how many watches it takes before that decision is reached?

Journeyman
    Great choices. That green Alpinist is a beauty. The custom mod is tremendous as well.

Craftsman

Smile Nice Pair

I have many times thought about this, currently running at about 14 in my collection.
    Lately I seem to be wearing one of Eddies offerings. I have a PRS 3 LE Blue, Everest &
    latest addition PRS 18Q. Reading these posts I am wondering if I could last with only
    3 watches. Now ask yourself could you !!. Personally speaking I think this would work
    for a while then, oh miss my Monster, miss my 007 etc & I am sure the madness would
    start again. Maybe its worth a try.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    My thoughts exactly, looks more "How I became a ONE watch man". To me, these are very similar in appearance.
    I'd ditch the Explorer, and get a diver on bracelet. ;-)

If I cut down to two, they would have to look, feel and be TOTALLY different to each other! :)

Nice pairing for sure though, especially if you occasionally put them on bracelets.

Craftsman
    I'm currently in the same process.. how to get from a 7-divers man to a 2 (or 3)-divers man.

But to get back to the OP, to me both watches are somewhat similar..

I think those two are a superb set of watches i'd be delighted to have either one or both in My collection.

I am a sucker for the black face /brown strap combo so a big thumbs up!
    Just started my journey toward single figure ownership and it's tough already.