closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko

Craftsman

Damasko

...warranty. Engraving of name or name and date is available as an optional extra only at the time of purchase of the watch.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of availability difficulties, please e-mail for current situation before ordering.

How long is the wait now?

Re: Damasko

Quote Originally Posted by calvinktlim
    ...warranty. Engraving of name or name and date is available as an optional extra only at the time of purchase of the watch.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of availability difficulties, please e-mail for current situation before ordering.

How long is the wait now?
    This was discussed on WUS recently and apparently it varies based on model but people were reporting 6 months more often than not. :shock:

Craftsman
    Eddie,

I am planning to get one in about 6 months time indeed.... is it advisable for me to place an order now?

Warmest regards,

Calvin

I'm not currently accepting orders for Damasko, I have 9 on back order and no indication when they might arrive. I've received 12 watches in the last year, none of them chronographs.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'm not currently accepting orders for Damasko, I have 9 on back order and no indication when they might arrive. I've received 12 watches in the last year, none of them chronographs.

Eddie
    :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Certainly not good news Eddie.

I have written to Damasko twice regarding the estimated delivery times, but so far without any reply :(

Thank you for the info.

Thomas

Craftsman
    It does make you wonder how many sales Damasko are going to loose out on to other manufactures with similar design watches. Sinn comes to mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR
    It does make you wonder how many sales Damasko are going to loose out on to other manufactures with similar design watches. Sinn comes to mind.
    Yes but Sinn does not have a DA37 or anything that looks like it :(

So my money won't be going that way.

Thomas

It depends upon the cause of the delay. If they are having staffing problems, then they could very well go bust. If they are having movement supply problems, then so probably is everyone else that uses the ETA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    It depends upon the cause of the delay. If they are having staffing problems, then they could very well go bust. If they are having movement supply problems, then so probably is everyone else that uses the ETA's.
    The watchmaking section forms only a small sideline of the Damasko business.

john
    Every watch a story.

Sounds interesting. What else do they do? The website doesn't give any clues. They really do need a proper English translation of their website though!

Master
    As I understand it there are 2 Damasko companies, "Damasko Metallbearbeitung" a metalworking company, and "Damasko feiner Uhrenbau" the watch company.

They are not financially linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Sounds interesting. What else do they do? The website doesn't give any clues. They really do need a proper English translation of their website though!
    The Damasko report
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=64554

john
    Every watch a story.

The main business of Damasko is the manufacture and supply of components for the automotive and aerospace industries, watchmaking is a hobby for Konrad Damasko and if the core business needs him then watches don't get made.

In the last 9 months, he has given 3 watchmakers a trial but apparently none of them were up to standard. It's clear to everyone that until Damasko employs a watchmaker of the required standard, the present unacceptable supply situation will continue.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Very interesting indeed, thank you for the link. :thumbup:

As an aside, don't you just love the German language; where else can you find such words as ?Wippbewegungsgleichrichter? (?teeter motion rectifier?)?
    :lol:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Well, well, well, ... looks like Askania are increasing their models with the Damasko steel. :P

All you lot who want but can?t get a Damasko, form an orderly queue. :twisted:
    http://www.askania-berlin.de/collection.php?c=3#

Is it me or do those lugs look like 20mm?

john
    Every watch a story.

Master

Damasko

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas

AAAHHHH please dont mention that watch I keep looking at it

Master
    Blog Entries
    All you lot who want but can?t get a Damasko, form an orderly queue. :twisted:
    If the design were even 1/10th as attractive as the Damasko ones, I might :)

But they're not :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

As an aside, don't you just love the German language; where else can you find such words as ?Wippbewegungsgleichrichter? (?teeter motion rectifier?)?
    :lol:

R
    Ah, come on... :lol:

Johann Gambolputty...

...de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm, and ask you - just quickly - if there's any particular thing that you remember about Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm
    http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode06.htm
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman
    I rather like those Askania watches -- any idea as to how much they are?

Do Damasko make just the cases for Askania, or do they actually assemble the watch? I suspect they just supply the metal bits, which presumably means they aren't subject to the same delivery issues as the Damaskos. Mind you, they're just not anything like as nice to look at...
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Re: Damasko

Quote Originally Posted by hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas

AAAHHHH please dont mention that watch I keep looking at it
    Just wait until you've handled one! :twisted: :wink:

F.T.F.A.

Master
    What, this one ?

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    What, this one ?

No, this one............

F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    I visited the Askania showroom in Berlin's "Hackesche Höfe" two days ago. Very nice, helpful, knowledgeable staff there. Good effort, and good exhibition.

Very interesting brand, although only the Damasko-built Taifuns (not all the watches of the Taifun series have Damasko cases, by the way) can rival Sinn and Damasko for technology.

Still, it's a watch brand from Berlin, which counts much in newly-centralized German thinking ... :P :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I visited the Askania showroom in Berlin's "Hackesche Höfe" two days ago. Very nice, helpful, knowledgeable staff there. Good effort, and good exhibition.

Very interesting brand, although only the Damasko-built Taifuns (not all the watches of the Taifun series have Damasko cases, by the way) can rival Sinn and Damasko for technology.

Still, it's a watch brand from Berlin, which counts much in newly-centralized German thinking ... :P :wink:
    You just gotta know how to recognise which ones. The Damasko crown is unmistakable.

This case at 43mm is the DC66 without the chrono and bezel accoutrements. In terms of what is on the market, the Damasko steel has proved itself to be extremely hard resistant to impacts and scratches ... if these elements are important to you I would not hesitate to recommend the watches. Unfortunately what they?ve done with the date is criminal :( ... especially when you think what Damasko have done with theirs.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    What, this one ?

Nice picture, gives depth to the dial.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    You just gotta know how to recognise which ones. The Damasko crown is unmistakable.
    I'm a man of letters ... I just look into the technical catalog of Askania. 62 Rockwell models = Damasko, anything else is ... anything else.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I'm a man of letters ... I just look into the technical catalog of Askania. 62 Rockwell models = Damasko, anything else is ... anything else.
    ... and I'm a visuologist, pattern recognition, kind of person ... didn?t even bother with any of the text. :roll:

Takes allsorts. I knew somebody who used to smell books ...

john
    Every watch a story.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    Chrono is about 3600 Euro.

Three hand watch is 1995 (w/o bezel) to 2295 (with bezel)

I think that Askania logo is bloody awful :shock: .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by gwf
    Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    Chrono is about 3600 Euro.

Three hand watch is 1995 (w/o bezel) to 2295 (with bezel)
    3695 Euro = 2503 GBP to be exact.

Mike has posted a report of his visit to the Askania showroom ... terrific pictures.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=72528

Eddie said in a past communication that there will only ever be 400 Damasko cased Askania.

Don't miss the Askania Cougar. As they decided to do a homage to the original ... why or why didn't they use an ETA-Peseux 7001 or the automatic ETA 2895-1 to maintain the subsecs? And look at the beautiful lugs and bezel of the original ... what happened?
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=72636

My feeling is that they might be approaching the market wrongly ... or perhaps they have a huge advertising campaign in the works. I would like to see them succeed. They certainly appear to be in the centre of things.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=72521

john
    Every watch a story.

I've finally got an invoice for my own "Great White Whale", a DC67.
    Exceedingly rare bird.
    That will complete my trilogy as I have a 36 and 57.
    Just too much effort to ever try to get all 6.
    It takes weeks just to make an order.
    Dear Nadja replies to roughly 1 out of every 6 e-mails I send. (I've made careful studies of this).
    On a Customer Service scale of -10 to 0, with 0 being Awful, I'd rate them about -7.
    Supposedly my watch will be ready the end of summer, which in "Damasko Speak" means early '08.
    It's certainly a measure of the great esteem in which I hold the brand that I actually don't mind the hassle :wink:

(Talk about mixing metaphors! White Whale/rare bird? Simple Yank!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    I've finally got an invoice for my own "Great White Whale", a DC67.........

Let's hope it will say hello to you for Xmas morning. We haven't seen that many of them in the wild.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    Dear Nadja replies to roughly 1 out of every 6 e-mails I send. (I've made careful studies of this).
    On a Customer Service scale of -10 to 0, with 0 being Awful, I'd rate them about -7...It's certainly a measure of the great esteem in which I hold the brand that I actually don't mind the hassle :wink:
    :shock: :cry: :( :D

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=870332&mid=2910039

pSYCHO watch guy has managed to chip the crystal on his Damasko
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 7490&rid=0

:arrow: This or That - Damasko DC66 or Sinn 757?
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... id=2858459

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    I have actually marked the case on my Damasko

You really have to look closely to see the mark, but bearing in mind how hard I hit it against a solid metal door frame, I am very impressed with the Damasko "hardness".

Pete

Grand Master
    My feeling is that they might be approaching the market wrongly ... or perhaps they have a huge advertising campaign in the works. I would like to see them succeed. They certainly appear to be in the centre of things.
    My feeling from visiting the showroom last week is that Askania is a very "Berlin" brand - it all fits in: a bit overpriced, overbearing, big-mouthed, very self-assured, a bit too loud (logo size, e.g., or their tell-tale orange corporate color).

This kind of attitude wouldn't go down in, say, Hamburg or Frankfurt, at all. But Berlin is different, with a collective effort to recoup the top spot in Germany, Europe and the world (there's a tradition). Askania caters to that city feeling very well.

Just as Damasko, e.g., manage to play the tool-watch image very well, and Sinn do play the Frankfurt game very well: technology, banking, success - but being discreet about it.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

....... Askania is a very "Berlin" brand - it all fits .......
    Now I understand, thanks. :lol:

john
    Every watch a story.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Be a while before I can afford mine.

But in the looks dept not seen one to match the DA36 yet.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

The DA37 is prettier. :lol:

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

The DA37 is prettier. :lol:

john
    Damn right she is...............

..........look how her face changes.............. :D :D :D :D
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    The DC-66 is such an amazing watch. :) It's a shame that with the issues finding a watchmaker and problems obtaining movements, Damasko couldn't use this time to focus on making a bracelet finally. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon
    Now that one looks really good. I don't often see a photo of a Damasko that makes me want one, but that does.

Ultimately though I think I'd give the whole Damasko thing a miss. I think they had their chance and have just about blown it now. And the whole bracelet thing is a joke. We bring you the most technologically advanced steel watch case in the world and present it on.......

a bit of dead animal skin

Plus they look so bloody miserable in their company photos....

I'll stop now so someone else can have a pop.

Jim :? :wink: