closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bad is your OCD? SD4000 content. Updated!

I would certainly want that fixed. Would any of those who say it's a simple job to do yourself care to post a detailed explanation of how to do that with a ceramic Rolex bezel?

I had this with a sub recently - noticed it on day 2 of ownership so took it back to the AD. They acknowledged that it wasn't right and even showed me 3 other subs in stock that lined up perfectly. After some persuasion they replaced the watch there and then rather than sending it back to Rolex...

Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    Im not saying it's a defect, it's just a tad annoying! I'm trying not to lose sleep over it I'm just a little disappointed that's all. I'm going into Jamieson and Carry tomorrow (if I was closer to St James I wouldn't hesitate going there as had fantastic service from them as a walk in before) so we'll see what they say. I'd rather not be without it for a long period but if it gets it sorted then so be it. Plus I can get the bracelet sized too, will probably get the divers extension taken out as that seems to be the norm.
    I'd want it lining up if it was noticeable to the naked eye but would only have it done while I wait.

Why would you want to remove the diver's extension?
    Gray

Master
    It looks cumbersome and if I'm honest I'm never going to use it. If I need to make an adjustment I'll use the glide lock. There are a number of people who have done this and said the comfort is considerably better.

Fair enough. Personally I prefer the weight and added security of the divers clasp being in place although not used much, it's there. I'd want to try with before removing to see if it made a difference if there was a problem
    Gray

It looks even worse when you look at the 9 o'clock position on the first photo, and the 3 o'clock on the second photo.
    We all agree and know where the triangle should point, and this watch simply does not. Get it sorted (by Rolex would be my preferred choice).

Master
    Will I get the option to have it sent to rolex if I take it to the AD, or will they insist on sorting it themselves? J&C have said they have a watchmaker on site, If they are rolex trained fair enough but I'm not letting just anyone sort it out.

Banned
    I am really surprised that some of the contributors in this thread would put up with this. This is just ridiculous and it would even be unacceptable even if the watch was a fake. Somehow the 15 minute marker on the bezel manages to be ahead of the 15 minute marker on the dial and the 45 minute marker seems to be slightly behind the 45 minute marker on the dial.

Its a defect - pointless and clutching to attempt to argue otherwise.

But despite, it seems, being an increasingly common blemish on rolex's "right first time" record, its easily rectifiable and shouldn't cost a thing to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I am really surprised that some of the contributors in this thread would put up with this. This is just ridiculous and it would even be unacceptable even if the watch was a fake. Somehow the 15 minute marker on the bezel manages to be ahead of the 15 minute marker on the dial and the 45 minute marker seems to be slightly behind the 45 minute marker on the dial.

There's really no point trying to apply geometric principles to a photo that isn't absolutely, categorically 100% head on - or are you now suggesting that the insert indices are skewed as well?

I'll say again, that IMO a slightly misaligned bezel isn't a defect... at worst it's a QC issue. You guys must find it hard to sleep at night with all the worries you must be contending with
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st July 2014 at 23:58.

Master
    The (bad) photos were taken with a shaky hand and an iphone so aren't the best. I'll see what the AD says tomorrow and post up the result.

Master
    I didn't want to read this thread for fear of it affecting my love for the SDc However I can totally see the OP's POV and it would annoy me. Very luckily, mine isn't the same but as people have said, get Rolex to sort it. I'd suggest the next time you're in London on a weekday, pop in to Rolex at St. James square and they'll likely sort it there and then :-)

Really nice staff I'm there and you'll feel like you're getting your money's worth as they're sorting something out for free

Just get rolex to sort it

I had sd a few yrs back I got in london the movement developed a problem so my trusty ad in Scotland sent it away and got it sorted free of charge under warranty . Didn't pay a penny even though I didn't buy it from them . Isn't a major biggy a little annoying for a 7k watch not a major issue that some folks are making out . Get it sorted and move on life's too short to let's these little things annoy you.

Enjoy the watch and wear it in best of health
    Last edited by alanski; 1st August 2014 at 00:11.

Master
    Cheers for the positive comments guys

It really hasn't affected my love for the SDc, it'll get sorted and the whole thing will be forgotten.

Craftsman
    Would have to go off to the service centre to be corrected!!

One of my Tissots suffers from the same trouble and it bugs me no end but because of the price point of the watch I put up with it. No way would I tolerate the same thing in a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    There's really no point trying to apply geometric principles to a photo that isn't absolutely, categorically 100% head on - or are you now suggesting that the insert indices are skewed as well?...<snip>
    The crosshairs don't seem to be correctly centred on the hand post either. As you say, pointless.

For a watch costing the best part of £7k I'd be pretty miffed too and want it fixed, quality control or defect is irrelevant it still needs fixing.

Grand Master
    Will I get the option to have it sent to rolex if I take it to the AD, or will they insist on sorting it themselves? J&C have said they have a watchmaker on site, If they are rolex trained fair enough but I'm not letting just anyone sort it out.
    You're worrying unduly!

If it goes back to Rolex it still gets worked on by a human being, to the best of my knowledge they don`t (yet) employ Swiss Elves with superior skills to a mere homo sapian.

Paul

Craftsman
    LOL!

Really surprised about the reactions in this thread, it isn't a defect at all, Rolex doesn't even do a QC on the bezel-alignment, as they just put the insert in at random position, and again, the absolute max that a bezel can be 'off' is 1/4 of a marker. It wasn't designed to be on a marker when you turn the bezel against the lock. Between two clicks you can set it just perfectly (if desired) because the bezel has some friction anyway...

Plus, if someone is really bothered by this, which I cannot imagine..., it is just a 5 minute fix! But to call it a defect is really beyond me...

Craftsman
    Disappointing QC and I'd be unhappy with it on a watch costing a fraction of the price of an SD but it sounds as though it should be an easy fix.

Master
    Update:

My watch is now with the AD and is to be sent back to rolex to sort out. Although interestingly the very knowledgable chap who I dealt with did point out that this is not a defect, or a one off, they have seen a few like this and it is accepted and passed by rolex quality control. Should be a 3-4 week turn round they've said. I do hope it gets sorted out as the more I looked at it the more it bugged me!

Still, I did get to play with some fantastic pieces in there and nearly came away with a panerai gmt waffle dial on grey leather (discount without even asking) but the highlight was getting to handle a Patek Philippe annual calendar in platinum at £65k!

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    LOL!

Really surprised about the reactions in this thread, it isn't a defect at all, Rolex doesn't even do a QC on the bezel-alignment, as they just put the insert in at random position, and again, the absolute max that a bezel can be 'off' is 1/4 of a marker. It wasn't designed to be on a marker when you turn the bezel against the lock. Between two clicks you can set it just perfectly (if desired) because the bezel has some friction anyway...

Plus, if someone is really bothered by this, which I cannot imagine..., it is just a 5 minute fix! But to call it a defect is really beyond me...
    When you are buying a 7k watch you are buying a luxury item first, a watch second. Something that looks good and shows attention to detail. You shouldnt have to go back and fix it. No matter how easy the fix, it should be right from the start and make you feel great.

Master
    This shouldn't have had to go back as said, but for them to say QC passed that, i am astonished to say the least.

I couldn't wear it - simple. If I get a Seiko like that never mind a Rolex I pop the bezel off, remove the insert, fit the bezel again then pop the insert back correctly seated.

On a watch of that value I'd get them to do it for sure.

LOL!

On the one hand I agree that 1/4 of a marker isn't much to sweat and 99% of owners wouldn't notice or care if it's off a tad.

However I call BS on that argument when I look on the Rolex website and notice that they of course have all their dive bezels lined up PERFECTLY.

Rolex, and anyone else for that matter, can argue the bezel is a functional item and so long as the bezel aligns with the hands it is fit for purpose, but I reckon most rest their bezels in the 12 o'clock position when not in use, so Rolex should definitely make the effort to align them properly.

I knew what this thread was about before I even opened the page: looking online and in AD windows it seems quite a rare thing to get an aligned Rolex bezel these days. I'd read it was a bit trickier (but still achievable) to get it perfect because the ceramic bezels now rest on 3 ball bearings?

I had the exact same thing on my 114060 but mine sat to the left of 12. As I like my bezels straight this was driving me mad but seeing most of their dive watches suffer this problem did make me feel much better about it and the annoyance/eyesore did subside over a few months.

That said, I was in London recently so went to St. James to get it sorted under warranty. Very pleasant and all that but after I described the issue to the bloke on the desk he had a look at it and asked I'd tried turning it(!) He then gave it a full rotation and said to have a look now. I indulged him, despite of course having done this countless times myself and said "Look, I know it's within what you would call tolerance but it sits to the left and needs to be realigned."
    He disappeared into the back to speak to a manager and then came back out and booked it in without any further commentary.
    I imagine the manage said I was being a fussy bugger but that it was indeed off.
    The misalignment was admittedly more slight than many I've seen so I don't know if the guy on the desk was struggling to see it or what but I was a bit miffed at being asked if I'd turned the bezel!

Anyway, they didn't offer to do it there and then, unlike what many have said on here. I've had an additional half link fitted and had all my screws replaced as they were a bit mashed. They have done the latter FOC and they are posting back to me, again at no charge (besides the link).

All in all it's been a couple of weeks and though I've missed the watch I will be glad it's been sorted - years until the service interval is too long to see if the annoyance goes away.

This is my first experience using Rolex Service centre so I hope it's a good one and the watch come back with no additional dings etc.

Unfortunately these misaligned bezels seem more common but for the money they should get this one detail right.
    Last edited by Dent99; 1st August 2014 at 14:38.

Master
    I noticed it from looking at the picture for one second without reading your post. I think it looks bad and should have been caught during QC. I'd either send it in, or even better drop it off myself, at a Rolex service center.

Master
    It's out of my hands now, we'll just have to see what happens!

Master
    It's out of my hands now, we'll just have to see what happens!
    The joys of ceramic Rolex ownership. My 16710 insert was offset when I swapped from black to Pepsi. Three minutes later it was fixed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The joys of ceramic Rolex ownership. My 16710 insert was offset when I swapped from black to Pepsi. Three minutes later it was fixed.
    Ceramic is just as quick...

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Just got to say, that's really pointless unless you have a camera lens absolutely centred on the dial centre...it clearly isn't in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'll say again, that IMO a slightly misaligned bezel isn't a defect... at worst it's a QC issue. You guys must find it hard to sleep at night with all the worries you must be contending with
    I would say that, by one of the key definitions of the word, a defect is an imperfection. and that bezel is not lined-up to perfection.

In terms of it being a QC (QA) issue, then one of the causes of a defect in manufacturing is a human action that produces an imperfect result - I would be surprised if rolex instructed their production line workers to put the bezels on "straight-ish"....

Taking opinions away from the table and just using definitions of "defect", then that bezel, until rectified, has a defect...

...regardless of whether or not you are - or aren't - the kind of person who will settle for defects in the things one buys.

The good news is that rolex readily acknowledge their defects in this area and rectify them promptly - as they should.

Master
    Ceramic is just as quick...
    Please explain how I can reset a ceramic insert into the bezel in three minutes, at home, using nothing but a case knife and a plastic sandwich bag. I've never heard of anyone attempting that DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Just got to say, that's really pointless unless you have a camera lens absolutely centred on the dial centre...it clearly isn't in this case!
    Regardless of that - the bezel is clearly skew-whiff...

Craftsman

How bad is your OCD? SD4000 content.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Please explain how I can reset a ceramic insert into the bezel in three minutes, at home, using nothing but a case knife and a plastic sandwich bag. I've never heard of anyone attempting that DIY.
    Really nothing to it, just be gentle and work your way around instead of lifting it only one side. loosen the nylon piece and the ceramic comes out. Oh, one thing though, put the nylon tensionring in the BEZEL and not onto the case, as that won't work, and put it gently back on. Should snap into place without much force.

That's three minutes, and I'm surprised that the AD's send it back to Rolex, any competent watchmaker can do that.
    Last edited by Henk Hoving; 1st August 2014 at 22:34. Reason: spelling

Master

That's three minutes, and I'm surprised that the AD's send it back to Rolex, any competent watchmaker can do that.
    I asked if my AD's Rolex accredited watch maker would be able to do it; he declined stating he had never done a ceramic before...

Master
    Really nothing to it, just be gentle and work your way around instead of lifting it only one side. loosen the nylon piece and the ceramic comes put. Oh, one thing though, put the nylon tensioning in the BEZEL and not onto the case, as that won't work, and put it gently back on. Should snap into place without any force.

Not supposed to re-use the fastening ring?

Craftsman
    ...stating he had never done a ceramic before...
    Well, with that attitude...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Not supposed to re-use the fastening ring?
    Done it twice in two different watches now, you can re-use that part without any problem.

Master
    Well, with that attitude...
    Meaning?

Ah yes. This again....

the ceramic subs have a fraction of play in between each click. This means the bezel can always be aligned by turning it carefully.

so what exactly is aligned for you all?

logic might suggest in the middle of 2 click positions, after all, that's the middle.

I took my sub back to st james, not so much because it was misaligned, but because I wanted it to be aligned bang on a click, and not where the bezel naturally came rest when turning it (ie in between 2 clicks)

i did detect a small degree of ocd customer eye rolling, but they did exactly as I asked.

imho, you cant complain too much when a company will readily fix it for you.

FWIW i've heard that it's not so much the ceramic bezel is hard to remove, its that the expensive ceramic bezel is easy to break that deters home tinkerers and shop watch makers... That said I'm sure Jocke's managed it ;)

Master
    *** Update 24/08/14 ***

Had a call in the week to say it was ready for collection, so off I went yesterday to get it. Very pleased with the results!

Its now absolutely absolutely bang on by my eye so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. The AD in question was absolutely spot on throughout the whole thing and I'd highly recommend them. (Jamieson & Carry)
    No charge was made for the postage, and it came back in a lovely green service pouch which was a nice surprise. It went in a plastic transit case.

Plus I walked away with some nice literature for the train journey home .

And found out they will be stocking Tudor soon, so going back to try on a pelagos when they have one!

Now to enjoy it

I love a happy ending
    Gray

Master
    nice resolution and sounds liek it was handled nicely by the dealer too.

Master
    Looks far better, but is that a speck of dust under the crystal I can see?

Master

Smile A great outcome

Really pleased for you, NOW enjoy it! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    That is cruel!

Blog Entries
    I love this hobby.

A two page debate over a millimetre of play on a watch bezel.

Wonderful! ;)

Greg.

PS I would have got it sorted. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Lol! Where?

Ha ha!

I have to say, of its true that rolex QC are deeming something like this acceptable, that's pretty poor.

It's probably not true. More likely just something a dealer said to fob somebody off.

Who knows though, maybe after they spend that entire year making your watch, by the time they get round to checking the bezel alignment, they are just bloody sick of it.