closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dreadnought "specials" and Fricker

Dreadnought "specials" and Fricker

I am new in the forum although I am a usual reader. I am an admirer of timefactors watches although I only own two of them. The reason for positing a topic is that I cannot understand the fuzz about the Dreadnought "specials" (the 06/10 issue). I would understand the discussion if Fricker had produced 200 more watches, but just 2 or 3 more... I cannot get it!
    For me, there is no better compliment to the Dreadnought than the number of "copies" I see around: starting with the Kobold Seal (wich I also own, and of course I also like) and many more following its style. And in fact, I find myself collecting Fricker diving watches, rather than Kobold and Dreadnoughts. So we should be thankful to Eddie for the Dreadnought, but also to Fricker, for making such nice, big, tough watches.

Well, for sure too long a post!

Re: Dreadnought "specials" and Fricker

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    I am new in the forum although I am a usual reader. I am an admirer of timefactors watches although I only own two of them. The reason for positing a topic is that I cannot understand the fuzz about the Dreadnought "specials" (the 06/10 issue). I would understand the discussion if Fricker had produced 200 more watches, but just 2 or 3 more... I cannot get it!
    For me, there is no better compliment to the Dreadnought than the number of "copies" I see around: starting with the Kobold Seal (wich I also own, and of course I also like) and many more following its style. And in fact, I find myself collecting Fricker diving watches, rather than Kobold and Dreadnoughts. So we should be thankful to Eddie for the Dreadnought, but also to Fricker, for making such nice, big, tough watches.

Buenas, Angeche!

Welcome to the forum. Well... yes. It is true that copying is the ultimate form of flattery. However, what we are dealing with here is ethics. The question is, where do you draw the line: is one copy ok? - how about 2? - 20? You cant draw the line. Can you?

The bottom line is this: Eddie and Fricker agreed that there will be no more than X dreadnoughts including the prototype and a couple others with Eddies blessings. - he has the rights to Dreadnought, not Fricker who was hired to help on the plannig and exectuting the watch. Fricker has violated that agreement by producing more than agreed. No matter if it is one, two or 20, the principle remains the same.

Hope to see more post from you :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM

Buenas, Angeche!

Welcome to the forum. Well... yes. It is true that copying is the ultimate form of flattery. However, what . The question is, where do you draw the line what we are dealing with here is ethics: is one copy ok? - how about 2? - 20? You cant draw the line. Can you?

The bottom line is this: Eddie and Fricker agreed that there will be no more than X dreadnoughts including the prototype and a couple others with Eddies blessings. - he has the rights to Dreadnought, not Fricker who was hired to help on the plannig and exectuting the watch. Fricker has violated that agreement by producing more than agreed. No matter if it is one, two or 20, the principle remains the same.

We dont like Ethics or Kent or Sussex for that matter

:lol: :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by wellsy

Buenas, Angeche!

Welcome to the forum. Well... yes. It is true that copying is the ultimate form of flattery. However, what . The question is, where do you draw the line what we are dealing with here is ethics: is one copy ok? - how about 2? - 20? You cant draw the line. Can you?

We dont like Ethics or Kent or Sussex for that matter

:lol: :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Frank

Homage watches don't break any ethics. Not all of us can afford or want to shell out the bucks for the luxury brands. A replica fake isn't ethical; a homage pays tribute to the original. I think that's true whether its a dreadnought design, the Italian design or the long-awaited CAF design. Eddie just makes homage watches that have a following. That's OK in my book from this side of The Pond :wink: :)

Apprentice

... and a couple others with Eddies blessings ...
    Were the 06/10 and 08/10 not the "couple others with Eddies blessings" JCJM?

This was my first post by the way :D

Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    ... and a couple others with Eddies blessings ...
    Were the 06/10 and 08/10 not the "couple others with Eddies blessings" JCJM?

This was my first post by the way :D
    The ones "with my blessing" were not supposed to have numbers at all.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The ones "with my blessing" were not supposed to have numbers at all.
    Eddie
    Wow, my first post and directly a reply from "the man" himself! I feel (genuinely) honoured! :)

Yes Eddie I understand that, but the 06/10 and 08/10 Fricker made are the two "blessed" watches right? If he would not have numbered and sold them that is?

I have no idea which the "two blessed watches" are. The fact that they are numbered X/10 suggests that he made 10 but I can't get a straight answer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Ah well... what are we to do with these naughty case-makers... First Zeno, and now frickers...

No matter if it is one, two or 20, the principle remains the same.
    He is right. Though a point of principle has just cost me £2140.00 and if i added them all up i could possibly buy a small house outright. The only people who seem to win these "points of principle" are the Lawyers. Though i do sleep soundly at night and i know which i prefer! :)