closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Junghans?

Junghans?

Really like the photos I've seen of these and the recent Friday thread. I was previously thinking of a Nomos but for the money these seem bang on. As a daily desk wearer, what are peoples thoughts on these?

This is fiddler 69's pic from the Friday thread - if you don't mind? If you do, could you replace it with some others please

Master
    Ive had the Max Bill - wears like a flying saucer and you can hear the rotor spinning from obit.
    The acrylic picks up marks if you look at too hard.

Cracking styling though but wasnt a keeper for me so sold on.

Saying that I still have an itch for the Junghans Meister Telemeter...

This looks great!

I'm not sure about the image of the brand, though, don't know much about its reputation.

Stowa might be a better option then for a few hundred more?

I personally think the Antea KS is a happy middle ground in price between the Nomos and the likes of Junghans, Junkers and the various Chinese ones.

Master
    Junghans

Nomos Weltzeit ( although I do fancy the Ahoi Atlantik and the Metro... )

Master
    Don't mind at all - I'm an unashamed advocate for this watch! Some better pics added below. As you are in London, you can try them in person I think at Wempe on Bond Street (I think that's the shop that stocks them) who also conveniently have Nomos (and a lot of much more expensive stuff, just to annoy you!). I recently popped in there to try a Nomos Orion I had seen on Sales Corner here that was tempting me. I decided the Nomos fulfilled too similar a function to the Junghans I already had, so passed. However, if I were choosing between the two it would be a tough decision - the Junghans is a more interesting design, the Nomos a more interesting watch (given the movement) - but more expensive new.

I bought mine sight unseen (other than Internet pics) in early 2010 and it was a great decision - I would however recommend trying it in person as due to the design it is hard to judge how the size translates to reality by dimensions alone - 40mm diameter, all being dial, can appear bigger than it sounds with some watches, but on this one it doesn't wear big at all, as the whole case is so minimal. When it was delivered to me, my first thought was it was smaller than I expected (but that pleased me as I was concerned it might be too large). Similarly, 14mm can sound high, but I find it slips easily under cuffs, as part of that height is the UFO-shaped back (which seems to settle in my wrist but could of course sit proud on others) and the rest is the fabulous domed crystal, which I find allows a cuff to slide nicely.

I have not had problems with scratches to the plexi, but that does need to be borne in mind as it is completely exposed (and as mentioned, the watch is 14mm high at its peak). I have knocked it a couple of times and expected a scratch but so far so good - I read somewhere it has some sort of anti-scratch coating but reading above, others have not been as lucky as me. It does have a somewhat delicate feel however, caused by the minimal case, the exposed plexi and the fact that the rotor wobble from the 7750 is particularly noticeable on these (the weeble-like case back shape perhaps being the culprit - I happen to like the occasional wobbly reminder).

Other thoughts - it is not a casual watch, at least not on the mesh - it feels wrong to me with casual clothes. As a daily work wearer, I have found it great, however - it gets approving comments (but only from people who see it close up - it is a refined item which does not draw "look-at-me" attention from across the table, although it clearly intrigued the hell out of someone in a much more expensive watch across a tube carriage once, who was trying and failing surreptitiously to check out what on earth it might be) and from my admittedly entirely biased perspective, I think its distinctiveness, rareness and simply beautiful design more than holds its own in more expensive company. I would recommend getting it on the mesh, as it simply looks better in my view and suits the 1960s-derived design (and I hear the leather strap they alternatively supply is not great). I was tempted by the more ruthlessly designed version without the numbers, but in the end, this one won - partly for the admittedly rather lame reason that I love the font of the "4"... Also worth noting it has no running seconds hand (unless the chrono is engaged) - so if it matters to you to have a seconds hand, look elsewhere.

Here's some pictures trying to show a few of it's elements:

Hard to show real size on a wrist shot - mine is a c. 7.25 inch wrist:

In summary:

Last edited by fiddler69; 29th August 2014 at 17:43.

It actually looks lovely and love the all dial look.
    What's the case diameter ?

Thanks for full response Fiddler (sorry dont know your real name). It looks a real interesting piece.

I've had my big spend for a while so working within a budget for a daily work wearer but that still has some visual and WIS interest. The chrono looks awesome but may stick to 38mm. Really good write up and pics- thanksagain

The Max Bill chrono frequently pops up second hand on eBay or chrono24 for under £1k for a excellent or mint condition one.
    Much cheaper than most of the other watches mentioned in this thread, and a much more interesting design IMO.

Regarding the crystal, they can scratch easily if you are unlucky, but being acrylic they apparently respond well to polishing, but failing that you can have the crystal replaced by most Junghans dealers for £50 all inclusive.

Apprentice
    Great watch, but definitely try it on first, it wears huge! (which is why I don't have one)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I to have admiring these also. Just love the simplicity the white face and the mesh strap.