closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I think i'll be packing in playing the guitar as I have carpol tunnel syndrome which suddenly turned strange on friday night and hasn't changed

Something 'twanged' in my wrist again (Happens loads) it makes my fingers tingle like mad for a few seconds but this time they haven't gone back to being normal.

My left index has stayed tingly and very tight, I can't move it much without a sharp pain right up to my hand

Doc's can't fit me in for a week so it looks like i'll have to go to the hospital, the operation our works doc has been harping on about looks like it's on the cards now

All my guitars may end up in SC unless this can be reversed

John...
    Sorry to hear that John.

Hope you get it sorted one way or another.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I am not a bass man but that Jazzy in fiesta red with tortoiseshell is the business.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Sorry to hear that John.
    Hope you get it sorted one way or another.
    Seconded - and it sounds as if Merlin Shepherd can offer some hope from his experiences.

I'm posting to say that after three days my fingertips are gradually hardening and that I'm very impressed with my American Special Tele. It's so pleasant to have a guitar that a) stays in tune, b) is noisy when I want it to be and not humming, clicking and buzzing c) has a straight neck and d) looks fantastic, the blonde finish is almost identical to Merlin's Baja.

In some ways I'm even more impressed with the Mustang II amp, which is hugely versatile with different effects and amp tones. There are a couple of presets that actually make it sound as if I'm not as rusty as hell and can even play fluently! I downloaded two presets from the Fuse community, a blues tone which was "meh" and one emulating David Gilmour in Shine On, which was very accurate and fantastic fun. It was a wonderful example of how the amp can be tweaked to produce many sounds without purchasing loads of effects pedals. However I'm happy sticking with a cleanish Tele twang while I get the fingers working again for practice and re-learning.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by grandconjuration View Post
    That sir, is lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie View Post
    This is my new baby, I am completely in love with it.
    The neck is really something to behold.

It was handmade buy Serpentine Guitars in Cornwall (pictures taken from their site)

That's one of my stock builds; #SG1112 - the first ever carve-top DC... Glad to see it's got a good home and being appreciated.

If you have any questions about the guitar or would like to validate the warranty, drop me a message via the website - http://www.serpentineguitars.com. Were you sent the original COA and spec sheet with the guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by serpentinegtars View Post
    That's one of my stock builds; #SG1112 - the first ever carve-top DC... Glad to see it's got a good home and being appreciated.

If you have any questions about the guitar or would like to validate the warranty, drop me a message via the website - http://www.serpentineguitars.com. Were you sent the original COA and spec sheet with the guitar?
    Nice one, I have sent you a message on your website. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Phil

Here is one I made earlier last year.

^^^

Nice one Gadge, a kit?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Look like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups, i be they sound Immense! Unusual to see all black hardware on a T-type, looks great.

^^^

Nice one Gadge, a kit?
    Thanks Neil, all the parts bought separately,

one piece swamp ash body natural finish from Guitarbuild Lincoln, maple neck with ebony fretboard inlaid abalone from Vanson, Wilkinson black TC hardware, T-Style hi output AlNiCo5 big pole rod pickups, control pots, switch and wiring kit from CH Guitars,

I enjoy building them but cant play for toffee...

I built a a Martin copy from the tonetech kit, I'll find some pictures, that was an interesting project

ps COYI..

One of my favourites. Fantastic all round.

Here's my 7-string Chapman. It's a great guitar for the money, with a very nice neck and Hipshot hardware, but the pickups might be upgraded in the near future.

My main guitar for the last 10 years has been a Peavey Wolfgang Special.

And here's my American Standard Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    One of my favourites. Fantastic all round.

I rather like G&Ls too. Here's my Legacy fitted with Bare Knuckle humbuckers, and a standard ASAT Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I rather like G&Ls too. Here's my Legacy fitted with Bare Knuckle humbuckers, and a standard ASAT Classic.
    Bare knuckle pups are the business. I've got a 'mule' and a 'black dog' in my first proper guitar (epi les Paul) and they make the guitar sound pretty close to a Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

ps COYI..
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Got my Ibanez AR220 back from Jimmy Egypt in Glasgow, so total strip out the rubbish and put in the good stuff. All cts pots, bone nut, grover tuners, switch craft and Seymour Duncan JB4 and JB2. That only leaves a tone Pros bridge and that's a cheap 1 piece mahogany neck, chassis body that will blow away any Gibby Standard for a fraction of the cost. Oh forgot need to get rid of those ugly speed knobs for something more vintage looking, sorry not great pics, but hey it really growls...

Despite my best efforts to enjoy my Mustang II modelling amp, I found it too complicated and too tempting to muck about with the different settings. The lure of a valve amp was strong and so I splashed out on a 1 watt Blackstar HT1-R practice amp and an HT-408 cab. It's not so much about the volume as the tone, which is considerably better through the cab.

The nicest tone I've been able to achieve is through the clean channel, which is too quiet by itself, using the Boss blues pedal as a boost. The overdriven channel is much louder but I prefer the clean side and don't want to annoy the neighbours any more than I probably already do.
    Last edited by dkpw; 11th June 2014 at 21:15.
    David

I have the HTR1-RH and 408 cab and it sounds stunning. I have many professional guitar players as friends and when they come over to the 'Man-cave' for a social and they plug one of my guitars into it, they get lost for a few minutes playing with the knobs and trying different sounds before exclaiming 'wow, what a superb sounding amp! I've got to try one of these in the studio'. That's the stamp of credibility on this amp for me, professionals complimenting me on my gear selection is good to hear. The only gripe I have is that the overdrive is not pedal controlled but I have the Blackstar Valve Overdrive pedal to help with that!

Very nice David.

I must admit I have been leaning towards getting another amp. I've got a Mustang downstairs and an old Marshall Valvestate upstairs but I guess we are always hunting that elusive tone.

A bloke a know has a HT-5 and thinks very highly of it, I am also leaning towards something Fendery.

Trouble is there is so much choice nowadays that unless you spend days in a music shop booth you won't know what is right and it will probably sound different when you get it home!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have a Peavey Classic 30 and love it but I've been thinking of going the Blackstar route for a while. I only hear good reports and although I've never tried one, I am very tempted to take a trip to G.A.K. in Brighton to try one out.

Master
    Hi Guys

Over the last 30 years lost count of the amps I've owned and thought were the best sounding at the time, now on 3rd Blackstar and I'm now leaning towards the Artisan Series of Blackstar range, just great sounding amps and made by a bunch of people who defected from Marshall, so there's sound basis to judge on quality and reliability http://www.blackstaramps.com/about/meet-your-maker.php

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    I have the HTR1-RH and 408 cab and it sounds stunning. I have many professional guitar players as friends and when they come over to the 'Man-cave' for a social and they plug one of my guitars into it, they get lost for a few minutes playing with the knobs and trying different sounds before exclaiming 'wow, what a superb sounding amp! I've got to try one of these in the studio'. That's the stamp of credibility on this amp for me, professionals complimenting me on my gear selection is good to hear. The only gripe I have is that the overdrive is not pedal controlled but I have the Blackstar Valve Overdrive pedal to help with that!
    Very nice David.

I must admit I have been leaning towards getting another amp. I've got a Mustang downstairs and an old Marshall Valvestate upstairs but I guess we are always hunting that elusive tone.

A bloke a know has a HT-5 and thinks very highly of it, I am also leaning towards something Fendery.

Trouble is there is so much choice nowadays that unless you spend days in a music shop booth you won't know what is right and it will probably sound different when you get it home!
    Thanks very much gents,

I'm delighted with my setup, which should keep me going for quite some time.

Before choosing the 408, I tried the HT-112 1x12 which was also excellent with the HT1-R but bassier than I was looking for, if I had a more powerful amp it would have been a good choice. The 408 has a pleasant multi-speaker sound and like all Blackstar kit I've seen, is solidly built to a high standard. When you need to be really quiet, the emulated out from the amp is fantastic on a decent pair of headphones.

I've looked at many a review of the HT-5R on YouTube and they're universally praised, especially if you're into gain. A fellow Edinburgher has put up this excellent review which shows the amp's range to good effect.

The Fender Blues Junior is also one I've looked at, as it's noted for the clean, warm Fender sounds. It's easy to mod in terms of speakers and tubes but sadly I don't have the space (or talent) to use it to its full potential.
    David

David, does the speaker on your combo (is it 8" or 10") cut out when you link the cab up?

David, does the speaker on your combo (is it 8" or 10") cut out when you link the cab up?
    Yes, that's right. The combo has a 1 x 8" - there's a speaker out connection on the back which cuts the internal speaker when you connect the cab.
    David

Well!

My hands seem to be on the up lately!, also, found another geetar today at the bootsale, it was thick in muck and dust, strings were rusty as hell and the fingerboard looked like there was a new life form developing on it!!

I think it's had the bridge end humbucker removed and a different sort fitted!!

I took a couple of hours cleaning it then polishing it (waxing the fretboard!) and restringing with a set Dadd's

It took ages to restring it as I couldn't find my string winder...

The sound is very thick and full on the neck pickup but shrill and cutting on the bridge end Pu

It's a joy to play now!! Some nutter had wound the strings on the wrong way round on the treble side too!!

It's scrubbed up well!!!

I think it's a V99, the neck is permanently fixed to the body and I may need to buy a selector switch as someone has snapped it off halfway down the shaft!! Can still use it as is though

Can't believe I only paid £15 for it!!

Cheers, John

£15 is a result John!

Re the bridge humbucker, perhaps somebody just removed the cover?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm glad your hands are getting better John. There are tonnes of youtube videos about carpel tunnel syndrome and exercises to alleviate it, do a search and give it a whirl.

And I tried those Vintage Les Pauls when they came out and they're really good. Seeing as you've only put £15 into this instrument, when not invest in a really good set of pickups? Great find.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I'm glad your hands are getting better John. There are tonnes of youtube videos about carpel tunnel syndrome and exercises to alleviate it, do a search and give it a whirl.

And I tried those Vintage Les Pauls when they came out and they're really good. Seeing as you've only put £15 into this instrument, when not invest in a really good set of pickups? Great find.
    I haven't experienced this but know how debilitating it can be and nothing worse from a guitarist's perspective. I have had the usual associated tendinitis but found a good gap of about 6 months sorted this as not to aggravate the injury. Most injuries associated to the guitar are usually as a result of sustained bad posture while playing, which for me were alleviated by seasoned classical guitarist comments on mine and how to improve while practicing, I think the key was not the repetition of my playing the same old stuff but concentrating on playing new and varied styles, that way you don't get stuck in a rut and help develop your technique.

Tried them and found the Peter Green's tribute a stonker for the money, but £15 what a bargain and a bit of spit and polish looks great. As too the bridge pickup check and see if there is any wax residue on the tape wound around the pickup, which would indicate a cover being removed, failing that, it's only two screws and pop it out and check the underside, you never know someone before you might have upgraded it with a Seymour or something similar, even so still a great find and enjoy your new addition to your guitar family, that's if like many on here, like watches, one is never enough

I'm sure many of the more experienced players will know about boost pedals but I thought I would just sing the praises for my latest piece of kit, the TC electronic Spark Mini-booster.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I enjoy playing through the clean channel on the Blackstar HTR1-R but the volume really is too quiet with the gain set at 9 o'clock which is just on and the volume set to full. Using the BD2 pedal as boost was a good way of adding volume but I still felt it was affecting the tone, even with the pedal gain off.

So having seen some excellent reviews for the Mini-booster, I bought one from Andertons and I've been delighted with it. As you can see from the design, it offers a 20dB boost when on full but I leave it at about 11 o'clock. That setting brings the amp alive, with a beautifully clear, unaffected tone and I still have some volume control on the Tele. So I can play at a comfortable level without annoying anyone around me. It's a very well built, solid and tiny pedal. For my needs it's perfect.

Looks a handy piece of kit for overdriving a single channel valve amp at home.

I see it has latching or momentary switching which is a big bonus.

Rock on!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've just upgraded my '81 Greco SG with 'bucker-sized P90s. It sings. I tried it going through my WEM Dominator III with a Blackstar HT-DIST (that I bought from Groundrush a few weeks ago). For me it's a perfect set-up. The WEM is such a great sounding amp and with P90s it's amazing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have amassed quite a few high end guitars over the last 10 years and embarrassed to say rarely touch any of them due to having a few young kids and other hobbies. Not sure if anybody can advise me

My collection looks like this:

Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster (Relic)
    Fender 1977 black Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster Plus (Sunburst) Radiohead model (1995?)
    Fender Mark Knopfler SIG Stratocaster (only bought last year)
    Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard Tobacco Sunburst (Acoustic Piezo Toggle model)
    Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard VOS 2008 Faded Cherry Sunburst (believe not many made and quite ltd)
    Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White modded with T-Tops (believe guitar from 90s)

Anybody have an idea of a fair current value of some of these guitars? I'm over next month on route to Far East for business and tempted to sell a few whilst I have a chance to carry some over since it's near impossible to post from Falklands. I would keep the Gilmour and Telecaster as they are my fave but the others I would be tempted to cash in or buy a new watch as they have sat unused for donkeys.

I guess the Slash VOS is the most valuable but can't find a price online except an eBay listing for a crazy 7K which I guess is bonkers and not realistic
    Last edited by kultschar; 28th August 2014 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I have amassed quite a few high end guitars over the last 10 years and embarrassed to say rarely touch any of them due to having a few young kids and other hobbies. Not sure if anybody can advise me

Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard VOS 2008 Faded Cherry Sunburst (believe not many made and quite ltd)
    Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White modded with T-Tops (believe guitar from 90s)

Anybody have an idea of a fair current value of some of these guitars? I'm over next month on route to Far East for business and tempted to sell a few whilst I have a chance to carry some over since it's near impossible to post from Falklands. I would keep the Gilmour and Telecaster as they are my fave but the others I would be tempted to cash in or buy a new watch as they have sat unused for donkeys.

I guess the Slash VOS is the most valuable but can't find a price online except an eBay listing for a crazy 7K which I guess is bonkers and not realistic
    If you can wait until I get home tonight i can have a look through the latest edition of the guitar price guide. It may give you an idea but it's a buyers market at the moment. I would only require a Slash Tobacco burst Standard in payment! ;) Is Deano's still open in Stanley? Always manage to make it there after the Globe and the Queen Vic.

I have amassed quite a few high end guitars over the last 10 years and embarrassed to say rarely touch any of them due to having a few young kids and other hobbies. Not sure if anybody can advise me My collection looks like this: Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster (Relic) Fender 1977 black Stratocaster Fender Telecaster Plus (Sunburst) Radiohead model (1995?) Fender Mark Knopfler SIG Stratocaster (only bought last year) Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard Tobacco Sunburst (Acoustic Piezo Toggle model) Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard VOS 2008 Faded Cherry Sunburst (believe not many made and quite ltd) Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White modded with T-Tops (believe guitar from 90s) Anybody have an idea of a fair current value of some of these guitars? I'm over next month on route to Far East for business and tempted to sell a few whilst I have a chance to carry some over since it's near impossible to post from Falklands. I would keep the Gilmour and Telecaster as they are my fave but the others I would be tempted to cash in or buy a new watch as they have sat unused for donkeys. I guess the Slash VOS is the most valuable but can't find a price online except an eBay listing for a crazy 7K which I guess is bonkers and not realistic
    Shame, I would bite your hand off for the gilmour relic :)

Nice collection.

For prices it may be worth checking through here.

http://reverb.com/price-guide

USA prices but will give you an idea of the value of private sales.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you can wait until I get home tonight i can have a look through the latest edition of the guitar price guide. It may give you an idea but it's a buyers market at the moment. I would only require a Slash Tobacco burst Standard in payment! ;) Is Deano's still open in Stanley? Always manage to make it there after the Globe and the Queen Vic.
    yeah no rush, think I'm over mid Sept so will decide what guitar too bring!!!

Haha nothing has changed here, Deanos is indeed still open and its the same usual pattern of people starting off in the Vic or the Globe and then tottering to Deanos around 9-10. In fact I was in all 3 last Friday!! Nothings changed except the price of booze, its £1.20 for a beer now, remember the days of everything under a quid!!

When was you last here??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Shame, I would bite your hand off for the gilmour relic :)
    Thats my fave, love it!!!! If there is one to keep out if this lot then this is the one!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice collection.

For prices it may be worth checking through here.

http://reverb.com/price-guide

USA prices but will give you an idea of the value of private sales.
    Thanks will take a look!!! The VOS 2008 Slash seems to be hard to price since ltd. I think I might see if I still have the emails to see what I bought them for to begin with but I've changed computers too many times since!!!!

yeah no rush, think I'm over mid Sept so will decide what guitar too bring!!!

Haha nothing has changed here, Deanos is indeed still open and its the same usual pattern of people starting off in the Vic or the Globe and then tottering to Deanos around 9-10. In fact I was in all 3 last Friday!! Nothings changed except the price of booze, its £1.20 for a beer now, remember the days of everything under a quid!!

When was you last here?
    1989 (MPA), 1992 (MPA), 1996 (Mt Kent), 1998 (Byron Heights), 2000 (MPA), 2001 (MPA), 2002 (MPA). All in all about 30 months. Many a happy day and night in FI. ;)

OK, i've been through The Blue Book of Electric Guitar Values Edition 14. All values are in US$. I've given the highest rated value (98% condition) and the lowest (70% condition) except where stated. There is a range of values descending from highest to lowest, if you need more info, i can let you know. I didn't value the ones you intend to keep. In my experience, when talking high end guitars like these, if you are looking at a private sale (ie; Not to a dealer) in the UK, you could just change the $ to a £ and thats a ball park figure. More realistic if you have the accoutrements (case, paperwork etc), knock up to £400 off if you require a quick sale, look at halving the value if going to a dealer.

Slash is actually releasing a new album on Sept 15th so late September would be an excellent time to look at selling the Slash examples, that is, unless you wish to gift me the VOS for services rendered and because both you and i are real nice guys!

Fender 1977 black Stratocaster 98% $2200, 70% $925

Fender Mark Knopfler SIG Stratocaster (only bought last year) 98% $1300, 70% $600

Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard Tobacco Sunburst (Acoustic Piezo Toggle model) This is a Gibson Custom Shop model with a Fishman powerbridge. Initial run of ONLY 25 followed by a standard run. Because it is a Custom Shop model and some were bought as investments, they now have the capacity to be rated at 100% condition and it is doubtful anything less than 95% will appear. 100% $4,700, 98% $3,700, 95% $2,900

Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard VOS 2008 Faded Cherry Sunburst (believe not many made and quite ltd) Gibson Custom Shop model, only 400 made (200 U.S, 200 U.K.) serial number will be SVOS XXX. 100% $3,850, 98% $3,200, 95% $2,900

Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White modded with T-Tops (believe guitar from 90s) If it is 1990-95 98% $2,400, 70% $1,025
    Hope thats OK dude, make sure you speak to the RAF movers at MPA to take extra special care of them if you are taking them via Ascension and Brize! if you need any more info or different condition values, just ask.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hello Spencer

Wow - thanks for the info! Much appreciated and gives me a lot to ponder over!!

I actually dug out the VOS and man its a great playing guitar and of course looks killer also!! Sounds a lot better then the Slash Tobacco which are the same Duncan pickups. Maybe I should keep one Strat, one Tele and LP lol

I would indeed bring via RAF so would have to pack well, I still also have the cardboard boxes for a lot of these, I think realistically bringing two over for this trip will prob be my limit for one journey!!

I think I will get them all out tomorrow with a few beers and really blast them all and try to see which ones to cull in priority. Its just as bad as getting rid of watches :(

Christ you have been down here a heck of a lot!!! You have consumed a fair bit of dodgy RAF Tri-Star meals in your time!!!!

Very grateful for all your help! Any idea on best courier to use within UK if I sell? I gather its a bit like watches and tricky with insurance and many places don't cover much ££ wise

Master
    In terms of amps, my last was a 1976 100W Marshall Master Volume head on top of a 1969 tweed slant front cab with original G12 Celestions. Glorious sound. I remember when I sold it off I had people fighting amongst themselves trying to get the package.

In the end, it went to a solid jazz player. A good home, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Diel View Post
    OK, what's that?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

OK, what's that?

Happy Days

^^

I like that a lot, love the light blue.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks Neil, cracking electro accoustic and a bit of art on the wall

It fulfils both criteria then.

Plays good and looks good!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

SG Classic, P90 hmmmm.

Don't have any good pics on my phone but have a PRS custom 22 and an Ibanez JS1000 that I use on occasion, should use em more than I do but I know a few guys that make me wanna burn em, they are just too damned good.

SG Classic, P90 hmmmm.

Very nice, I fancy one of those myself, bought a standard last year but I feel the need for some P90's.

SG Classic, P90 hmmmm.

Nice one Spence.

I must admit a leaning towards an SG being a Derek Trucks fan, never had one though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.