closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video Games: the best ever thread

Everquest.

Played for 6 or so years i guess from 2000. Dial up modems meant you had to reconnect every hour or so.
    Guild raids with up to 64 people i recall...
    ... and it still exists

Craftsman
    Microprose GP2 - Amiga
    Microprose B-17 - Amiga
    World of Warcraft - PC ( must resist to return)
    Domark's Championship Manager - Amiga
    IL2 Sturmkovic - PC
    The Last of Us - PS3
    Grand Prix Legends - PC
    Elite - BBC

currently playing Diablo 3 on XBO with my son and its a blast!

Master
    Got to give it out big for counterstrike source.

This is the game that got me into and then out off online multiplayer.

I started gingerly against bots to learn the maps. Of course when I played against real people I was handed my ass on a plate.

Then the upgrade path ; I actually learned an awful lot about upgrading and building PCs and the internet because of this game.

A couple of grand lighter , a top spec tweaked PC , huge 40 inch monitor , super expensive at the time broadband connection and all sorts of gaming mice and gamepads.

I managed to hold my own and even a little higher sometimes in your average game.

It came to the works network and I decimated my coworkers to the xten they accused me of cheating; I said "No you just have to aim".

Then the downfall , I was coming to bed late after having a few "just" one more games too often.

Then I'd lie in bed not able to sleep with adrenaline coursing through my veins.

Then I'd dream I was still playing.

Then I stopped and I've been single player ever since

But oh...the memories.

Harpoon, Paradroid, Silent Service, Close Combat, H-I, Slicks'n Slides... I was never a hc player, but the right mix of brains and speed - I'm hooked.

here's the games i liked the best

playstation:
    resident evil 1,2,3, code veronica
    silent hill 1,2,3
    bully (canis canem edit)
    manhunt 1
    red dead redemption

dreamcast:
    shenmue 1/2
    soulcalibur 1 (2 player)

honourable mention for oblivion (when it doesn't crash) and call of duty 2 (for it's multiplayer only), which was the last call of duty worth playing.

Journeyman
    Top 5

1. Half-Life 1 & 2
    2. Counterstrike
    3. Diablo II
    4. Football Manager
    5. Gran Turismo / Forza

from the arcade

R-type, mainly the first three levels and especially the third level
    Strider, even now over 20 years later till looks fab
    Operation thunderbolt, better tun operation wolf due to the ability to play with a mate
    Double dragon/golden axe
    Gauntlet, four of you meant to be fighting the monsters, but fighting over treasure and food
    Forgotten worlds, awesome horizontal scrolling shoot-em up, with great upgrades and unique shooting method
    Battlezone- very basic 3d world, but felt like the future, even if you did die all the time
    space invaders, for the concept
    galaxians, for improving the concept
    Phoenix, for giving us the end of level boss

anyone wanting to play the arcade games of their youth should check out mame

Has anyone mentioned Outrun yet??

Outrun was ,is quality

Blog Entries
    Streetfighter 2

Turtles the arcade game coin op

Super mario bros 1 -2-3 or world

For me it was all over after the snes. Hate all this real life first person shit. Then again for fun I hated the wii.

Blog Entries
    Streets of rage

Altered beast
    Alex the kid
    Mega man
    Duck hunt
    Shinobi
    Quackshot
    Final fight
    Sunset riders
    Splatterhouse
    Pilotwings

Blog Entries
    Oh castelvania
    Road rash
    Lemmings

Journeyman
    Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Battlefield 1942 (PC)

Counter Strike (original, not Source, circa Beta 5.2) (PC)

Tempest 2000 Atari jaguar
    Galaxians in the pub
    sonic megadrive
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron gamecube
    Rez dreamcast
    forza xbox

now have a ps4 but still no really good games out yet

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    now have a ps4 but still no really good games out yet
    "The Last Of Us" is now out on PS4 superb game.

Forgot to mention:

Star Wars Knights of the Old republic 1 & 2,
    ICO,
    Silent Hill 2,
    Final Fantasy VII...

Master
    +1 to ICO. Took me ages to track that down, it was going for daft money after release, you just couldn't find it! I sold all my PS2 gear this year and that game still fetches £20 odd even now!
    The sequel, Shadow of the Colossus, may well be the best game ever made.

I had a bit of a retro night last night on the megadrive. Anyone else for Zero Tolerance?? Not as good as Doom, but easily the best FPS on any 16-bit console.

Quick question - I'm thinking about picking up a 32X (the megadrive add-on with 32-bit capability) just to play the first generation Doom - does anyone know if it's compatible with the new Blaze megadrive console, or would I need an early console? Worth an ask...

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    +1 to ICO. Took me ages to track that down, it was going for daft money after release, you just couldn't find it! I sold all my PS2 gear this year and that game still fetches £20 odd even now!
    The sequel, Shadow of the Colossus, may well be the best game ever made.

I had a bit of a retro night last night on the megadrive. Anyone else for Zero Tolerance?? Not as good as Doom, but easily the best FPS on any 16-bit console.

Quick question - I'm thinking about picking up a 32X (the megadrive add-on with 32-bit capability) just to play the first generation Doom - does anyone know if it's compatible with the new Blaze megadrive console, or would I need an early console? Worth an ask...
    Atari jag doom is good

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    "The Last Of Us" is now out on PS4 superb game.
    that's a good idea thanks

Craftsman
    Brilliant thread! For me I'll name;

Gran Turismo (Playstation 2)
    Sensible Soccer (Amiga)
    IK+ (Commordore 64)... Check it out on YouTube!!
    Battlefied 2 (PC)

I've wasted hours and hours (days) on BF2, which was the best on the PC and also Gran Turismo. Me and I mate would stay up very late playing GT trying to work out who was best, but my god we had some great races!!
    Last edited by HJ.; 2nd September 2014 at 19:15.

Master
    Oooh got a good one.

Impossible Mission C64 ; the animation on the main character was a bizarre thing to see , had a realism that nothing else had up until then.

Another thumbs up for Paradroid (Andrew Braybrook; Graftgold from memory).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Impossible Mission C64 ; the animation on the main character was a bizarre thing to see , had a realism that nothing else had up until then.
    Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay foreverrrrrrrr!

Craftsman
    In some sort of order (best first)

The last of us
    Tombraider 2013
    Uncharted 2
    Assasins creed 2
    Goldeneye 64
    Shenmue
    Streets of rage
    Mortal Kombat 2
    The walking dead season 1 (tell tale games)
    Heavy Rain
    Need for speed most wanted
    Max Pain
    Grand theft auto vice city

Edit: forgot Sega Rally - that and Mortal Kombat were arcade gold. My top four are the most immersive games I've ever played but Shenmue was the first game that ever blew me away, so ahead of its time.
    Last edited by Grandsire; 3rd September 2014 at 05:04. Reason: adding stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    In some sort of order (best first)

Tombraider 2013

Yeah meaning to get into that when I have some time, strangely the tone of it reminds me of Far Cry 3.

Which brings me to .

Far Cry ; the original PC FPS , that was a cracking game. One of the first where you could approach situations in different ways and had a very hard core shooter element to it. Head shots were a prerequisite unless you wanted things to turn into a bullet festival. You could be one shotted yourself.

Using darkness and cover , distracting soldiers by throwing stones , frantically searching for shotgun rounds to deal with the mutants. Weapons that never felt overpowered. Massive maps.

Crysis was its true spiritual successor (not the various sequels which have their own merits) but even that feels a bit watered down compared with the original.

Even the multiplayer was quite good fun.

Banned
    Yeah meaning to get into that when I have some time, strangely the tone of it reminds me of Far Cry 3.

Which brings me to .

Far Cry ; the original PC FPS , that was a cracking game. One of the first where you could approach situations in different ways and had a very hard core shooter element to it. Head shots were a prerequisite unless you wanted things to turn into a bullet festival. You could be one shotted yourself.

Using darkness and cover , distracting soldiers by throwing stones , frantically searching for shotgun rounds to deal with the mutants. Weapons that never felt overpowered. Massive maps.

Crysis was its true spiritual successor (not the various sequels which have their own merits) but even that feels a bit watered down compared with the original.

Even the multiplayer was quite good fun.
    Don't forget Half-life, that was top notch as well.

Never really got Half Life. I finished Half life 2 on Normal and hardest though, showing it does have something to me, but I never really got into the whole story of the series like I do with many other games.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Don't forget Half-life, that was top notch as well.
    Indeed,

Half Life was again another upgrade spurt on my PC.
    Opposing Forces I actually prefered ; just felt more shooty and didn't have much of that Xen jumpy rubbish.
    (Game design rule number 1; do not put platform jumping levels into FPS games)

Blue Shift I was kinda lukewarm on but it passed the time.

Half Life 2 whilst supremely enjoyable I always felt let down by the combat ( the weapons and tactics seem a little simplistic to me).
    This will be heresy but I prefer Halo over HL2 even though its console vs PC which is supposed to be anathema for FPS fans.

Craftsman
    Microprose GP2 - Amiga
    Microprose B-17 - Amiga
    World of Warcraft - PC ( must resist to return)
    Domark's Championship Manager - Amiga
    IL2 Sturmkovic - PC
    The Last of Us - PS3
    Grand Prix Legends - PC
    Elite - BBC

currently playing Diablo 3 on XBO with my son and its a blast!
    Forgot to add, System Shock 2 on PC.

Master
    Forgot to add, System Shock 2 on PC.
    Yep thats a good one too , the game mechanics are a little bland but the atmosphere is great .

A little too difficult in the opening levels where by virtue of the plot you are somewhat underarmed but that does significantly increase the satisfaction when you eventually find some decent weaponry.

I'll throw in a weird one "Scarabeus" C64 Ariolasoft, puzzle , maze type game ; very difficult requiring you to memorise a 3x3 grid key to identify and deactivate traps whilst being pursued by various ghoulies. I never finished it I have to say. However it was very creepy and lonely feeling.

For more Solitary puzzlers ; Myst of course , Riven (even better) and the other sequels which I'm afraid left me cold. I did go through a phase of wanting to have my house full of Myst/Riven style furniture , thankfully I resisted !

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    The Runes of Zendos (Spectrum 48k)

The Lords of Midnight (Spectrum)

and possible the best golf game ever, Microprose Golf for the Amiga 1200
    Holy Crap. I used to spend so long playing that stupid thing - and Doomdarks revenge - that I would dream about it.

Also, Bard's Tale... I can still draw a perfect map of Skara Brae.

EDIT. Oh. My. God. I seem to have made a mistake and installed a load of 8 Bit computer emulators on my phone...

Last edited by Cirrus; 3rd September 2014 at 11:59.

Master
    Mastertronic;

I remeber a garage near my house that had a carousel of mastertronic games. Every Saturday I would go down there with my pocket money and find a game to buy for £1.99.

Now these were not well advertised games, all on casette.

I'd sit at the computer for 5 mins waiting for it to load (sometimes it did , sometimes it didn't). I'd be like a fighter pilot waiting to go into battle eating my pez or watermelon gobstoppers.

Then...

I'd be confronted with a Rob hubbard soudtrack ( okay he ripped off the one I mention next).

Then I had ' Master of Magic" in front of me ; played on a C64 with an old atari joystick which lasted years ( the quickshot 2 was shit).

I was 9 years old..still impressd as a 9 year old I could play this and work out that vampire could be killed with and innocuous "wooden dagger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS3ClOkxG7k

£1.99 for this in 1980s money (and they had better games for the same money).

Will play games till I die. Love them.

I had the original version of Chiller for C64 on the Mastertronic £1.99 label, that was subsequently withdrawn because the music was a barely recognisable 8-bit rendition of of Michael Jackson's Thriller!

Master
    Sensible Soccer
    Streets of Rage
    Street Fighter 2
    International Superstar Soccer
    Mortal Kombat
    Killzone 3
    IK+
    Speedball 2
    Championship Manager
    Resident Evil
    Gears of War
    Dead Space
    Hitman
    Uncharted

Well, it's been a while but Phoenix left an impression on me.

Then I had ' Master of Magic" in front of me ; played on a C64 with an old atari joystick which lasted years ( the quickshot 2 was shit).
    We persisted with the Quickshot 2 until the last sucker came off the base. It was indeed a piece of rubbish, but where would we have found £17.99 for a replacement?

Master
    Dungeons and Dragons, how did I forget that!!

Chuckie Egg.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Cheetahmax II was my eespob of choice until the arrival of the Bug. That was the best joystick ever made. My exploits on Sensi (ble World of Soccer) were legendary with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was more of a zip stick man.

Remember breaking many joysticks playing Oceans Daley Thompsons Decathlon :)

Wiggle wiggle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I was more of a zip stick man.

Remember breaking many joysticks playing Oceans Daley Thompsons Decathlon :)

Wiggle wiggle
    My Mum was the cashier in a video arcade back in the early 80s and I would head down there for my lunchtime and a couple of games.

I was 8 years old and the best in the area at Star Wars. I used to play it even when the control yoke was broken , I once sat with the engineer and we repaired the controller just so I had a better chance to best my high score.

When I first went there the most advanced game was Pac Man ; I even remember it arriving. I remember the technology improving ; when Gorf arrived and had a speech synthesiser. When Donkey Kong arrived , Galaga , Robotron , and a whole host of others. I think the arrival of Dragon's Lair and Firefox is responsible for me heading towards the film/vfx industry for my career path.

They thought about turning off track and field as so many people were giving themselves blisters and the controllers were always being broken.
    The owner used to bring me back brochures and fly sheets from trade fares, he even used to ask me what ones I thought he should buy in.

Then the inevitable decline filled the place with fruit machines and the games on an Amiga or ST were generally better than what you could get in the arcades anyway.

Last time I was back it had been knocked down and a block of flats (unsold after many years) was there.

Many happy memories; I'd love to set up a gaming bar/pub at some point. Thought about even making a biographical film about that time and calling it "Arcadia".

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Mum was the cashier in a video arcade back in the early 80s and I would head down there for my lunchtime and a couple of games.

I was 8 years old and the best in the area at Star Wars. I used to play it even when the control yoke was broken , I once sat with the engineer and we repaired the controller just so I had a better chance to best my high score.

When I first went there the most advanced game was Pac Man ; I even remember it arriving. I remember the technology improving ; when Gorf arrived and had a speech synthesiser. When Donkey Kong arrived , Galaga , Robotron , and a whole host of others. I think the arrival of Dragon's Lair and Firefox is responsible for me heading towards the film/vfx industry for my career path.

They thought about turning off track and field as so many people were giving themselves blisters and the controllers were always being broken.
    The owner used to bring me back brochures and fly sheets from trade fares, he even used to ask me what ones I thought he should buy in.

Then the inevitable decline filled the place with fruit machines and the games on an Amiga or ST were generally better than what you could get in the arcades anyway.

Last time I was back it had been knocked down and a block of flats (unsold after many years) was there.

Many happy memories; I'd love to set up a gaming bar/pub at some point. Thought about even making a biographical film about that time and calling it "Arcadia".
    Cool - did you wangle free plays!!?? As a kid I remember my pocket money didn't last long in the arcades!!!!

I remember being in awe of Dragons Lair at the time (though it really not a proper game was it, more video with alternative clips depending on your actions).

Remember being in awe of the intro graphics of Shadow of The Beast 2 when I first got my Amiga, it was a huge update from my C64 however my best memories are prob the C64 games

Or "Shadow of the Bast" as me and my friends called it, due to how supremely difficult it was.

The scrolling foregrounnd was amazing seem to recall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Cool - did you wangle free plays!!?? As a kid I remember my pocket money didn't last long in the arcades!!!!

I remember being in awe of Dragons Lair at the time (though it really not a proper game was it, more video with alternative clips depending on your actions).

Remember being in awe of the intro graphics of Shadow of The Beast 2 when I first got my Amiga, it was a huge update from my C64 however my best memories are prob the C64 games
    Ah yes many a time the keys came out and I'd get a dozen credits on one of the games ; usually not the top sellers. I also used to pilfer the cassette tapes for the music that they played (despite not having a performance license) copy them off on a mates double deck hifi. Think my pocket money went on video games and TDK tapes.

Master
    I remember Gorf scaring me witless as a young 'un because when you touched the joystick it would shout "Insert coiiiiiiiin!" in a robotic lilt.

Master
    Lots of Gran Turismo fans - I'm curious, has anyone ever tried the 24 hour endurance race (I think it was on GT4) before?

Me and a mate gave it a go one weekend, played from mid afternoon straight after college until about 4 in the morning before too much beer and not enough sleep took their toll. I'd be super impressed if anyone has clocked one of those!

Banned
    Happy memories, but sore fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8va4YGGA3wE

Has nobody mentioned anything on the PC Engine or Neo Geo yet???

+1 for International Karate Plus

Spent many hours of my childhood playing that!

Not a gamer, but Lego Star Wars - brilliant!

Oooh got a good one.

Another thumbs up for Paradroid (Andrew Braybrook; Graftgold from memory).
    Impossible Mission was one of the very first examples of a rotoscoped real human being - that was why the animation was so realistic for the time. The sampled speech was also very impressive, it was compressed from 100k per word, to less than 1k.

That the entire game fitted into just 58k of usable RAM in a single load is frankly astonishing. The programmers were incredibly skilled and discipined to achieve so much with so little.

The use of early sampled speech also appeared in "Ghostbusters" the game, a few months earlier I think, and then "I-Ball".

Paradroid was a very clever game - ideally suited to being made into an APP game now. Braybrook was particularly impressive in the sideways scrolling shooter "Uridium" as I recall.

The C64 was the machine to own in the early to mid 80's - the hardware was better than the Speccy on every front, and it had a worldwide industry base as opposed to the Spectrum which was mostly UK and a bit of Germany.

As an aside, the reason I know a bit about this sort of stuff is because I was involved (quite heavily) in the early cracking rings on the C64, and then the Amiga. As a very young Banana I was transferring stuff across the Atlantic with a 300baud modem in 1984. My parents put the immense phone bill down to the misguided belief I was learning stuff on Prestel and exchanging homework ideas and tips with friends in America.

Anyhow, I'll finish off with this, still in my opinion one of the finest shoot-em-ups ever written, with superb music from the don of the SID, Rob Hubbard.

I give you "Crazy Comets"

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I had the original version of Chiller for C64 on the Mastertronic £1.99 label, that was subsequently withdrawn because the music was a barely recognisable 8-bit rendition of of Michael Jackson's Thriller!

Kickstart 64 was Mastertronic's best effort - very addictive.