closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice needed: Watch import from USA. Which Postal service?

Apprentice

Advice needed: Watch import from USA. Which Postal service?

Hi,

I've found a private US deal on a watch, however, I have some doubts about which postal service I should choose, USPS, FedEx etc..

I'm located in Denmark. Any tips and recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Michael

Can't help with experience to Denmark, but to the UK I've had no problem with using USPS. :thumbright:
    Can't say the same for FEDEX though :evil: Plus with FEDEX you will always get hit for local taxes and their admin charge.

Apprentice
    When using USPS, are we talking about "Express Mail® International" (even though valuables are prohibited) or just "Priority Mail® International" ?

Express Mail, and have had no problems getting full insurance cover. Not come across any issue with valuables being prohibited?

Craftsman
    I think John Vargas might be the man to speak to on this. He had some pretty strong opinions IIRC.

Master
    Hi Michael,

I'm a USA resident and I would strongly recommend a private carrier, either UPS or FedEx but not DHL. With USPS Express or Priority Mail, the package gets transferred in your country to a local mail service and you lose the ability to track your package's whereabouts.

Hey Guys,

This is the only time you will ever hear me call myself a pro, but I am a pro at this. As many of you know, I get the watches or whatever it is there safe, sound, and secure.

UPS, FedEx, and DHL will carry it for you, but will only cover $500.00 of whatever it costs no matter how much you insure the item.

When shipping from the US to Europe, only use USPS Registered Mail. This is the safest form of shipping (the only legal way as well, once it is received at the US Post Office it has to be signed for by every person who touches it, and it has to stay inside a safe. With the reciprocal agreements, we have with the UK, and the rest of the European Union, once it arrives in the UK for example everyone there has to sign for it, and keep it in a safe as well.

Since it is safe and sound, then there is no need to insure it for its full value, the will not lose that parcel. So make sure that it is packaged safe. Only insure it for a fraction of what it is worth. Remember the INS is for them only losing the package. I usually insure it for $350.00. It does not raise any eyebrows on why you sending a package so secure with little to no INS.

Also, never list that is a watch, it is a Diving Instrument, or Timing Instrument, used. The people at customs know it?s a watch there is no need to advertise it. Since it is used, you can check the gift box; remember it is legal to purchase a gift.

I have been doing this for years on Watches, Military Items, and gemstones, and not to mention other things, I have never had any problems or lost a package. No one has ever paid VAT or Duties either.

If you need help with the seller here in the US, I would be more than glad to assist you on that too. Just send me an email.

Congrats on the watch BTW,

John

Craftsman

USPS all the way

Again I agree with Lord Vargas.
    I've had a load of watches from the states. Ok yes, you do lose the ability to track the item when it hits your local postal service, and there is initially that little niggle in your gut that says 'where the hell is that watch'. But all of mine have turned up in time, al well, all present and correct and very reasonably shipped. Sometimes if you get a good deal, the fedex can be as expensive as the watch!

Good luck though!

Colin

Apprentice
    Thank you for the advice :)

"USPS Registered Mail" seems the right way to go (i.e. "Priority Mail® International" with the Registered Mail service.).

It's my first US watch deal, so I guess I'm a bit nervous for something to go wrong.

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael,

No problem I am more than glad to help.

Colin is correct alternative carriers like FedEx will sometimes cost more than the watch, and although they will let you pay for the insurance, they will not pay for more than $500.00 if anything goes wrong.

International Priority is a waste, of money. If you can wait a few days this is what I suggest.

Mailing Services

Your Cost First-Class Mail® International (2 pound 0 ounces) 16.80 (£8.21)
    Registered Mail? $10.15 (£4.96)
    Insurance (Insured for $350.00) $6.00 (£2.93)

Total $32.95 (£16.10)

Estimated delivery time to Great Britain and Northern Ireland is 6 - 10 Days

It is reliable, takes the same time to arrive as Priority maybe a few days more, and inexpensive.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

John

Here is the info on Registered Mail

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/registeredmailservice.htm

Registered Mail

When you?re sending valuable or irreplaceable items through the mail, protect them with Registered Mail?.

Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online. All destination countries have an indemnity limit of $43.73 and a registry fee of $10.15. For detailed information about International Registered Mail?, see the International Mail Manual.

You can use Registered Mail with:

First-Class Mail® - Letters, envelopes, and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less.
    Priority Mail® - Cost effective delivery in an average of 2-3 days.

You can combine Registered Mail with the following Extra Services:

Delivery Confirmation? ? Provides date and time of delivery or attempted delivery.

Signature Confirmation? ? Provides date and time of delivery or attempted delivery, the name of the person who signed for the item, plus signature proof of delivery upon request.

Collect on Delivery (COD) - Allows the postage and price of an item to be collected from the recipient by the USPS and given to the mailer.

Return Receipt - Provides a green postcard with the recipient?s actual signature by mail or a proof of delivery letter arriving as a PDF attachment that includes an image of the recipient?s signature by e-mail.

Restricted Delivery - Confirms that only a specified person (or authorized agent) will receive a piece of mail. Only available with Certified Mail, Insured Mail over $200, or Registered Mail.

Master
    Hey John,

Great post mate... sound advice and good to see people going out of their way to assist other forum members!

Carry on the good work!

Mike :wink:

Hey Mike,

Thanks, and its a pleasure.

If anyone needs assistance on the US Side in shipping send me an email, I am more than happy to call the seller for you, and explain the shipping method. I have done this a few times, and I am more than happy to assist anyone.

Just drop me a line.

Knowledge without sharing is useless knowledge. Also, something I learned long ago in collecting anything, spend time, not money.

John
    Last edited by John Vargas; 28th September 2014 at 03:06.

USPS Registered Mail is an Optional Service, which can only be used with USPS First Class Mail.

So, if you go the http://www.usps.com website to try to figure out postage you must select only the Fist Class Mail option, then add additional items.

Hope this clarifies things.

John