closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dial roatation

Master

Dial roatation

Hi guys.

Newbie here so please be gentle!

I have a thing for black faced tool watches with Certina, Breitling and a PAM in the stable but I'm getting fed up with winder callous on the back of my left wrist where the weight of the watch continually thumps into my hand (active lifestyle).

Sooooo...
    I should get my Tudor Heritage Ranger in a couple of weeks when they hit this sceptred isle and thought "why not get the dial rotated from the off?" To get make it a left hooker and make the problem go away?
    On a box fresh timepiece I'm not going to self attempt. Anyone had this done? Any watchmaker recommendations? Am I an idiot for even contemplating this in the first place?

Hi there!

I believe the dial feet are located at 2 and 8 o'clock so I guess it would work!

Master
    Cheers Bork!

Now all I have to do is find someone reputable to do the work....

It should work just fine if there is no date window on the face.

Perhaps you might solve the issue if you wore it on your right wrist?

I know, I'll get my coat...

Journeyman

dial feet

You could alway , buy the feet stick them on and try it.

It's been done with a PRS-20

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=prs20+destro

No date on the 20 so was more simple

Craftsman
    Are the dial feet definitely exactly opposite? Otherwise it won't work without removing the existing feet and brazing on new ones or using stick on ones. I don't think that's something is want to do on a brand new watch.

As above, wear it on the other wrist, or try a bund type strap?

Journeyman

dial feet

How about getting another dial & trying it out.

Master
    The Tudor Heritage Ranger uses the ETA 2824 w/o date, so the dial can simply be rotated, using the original feet. On the other hand, for a 2824 date watch you would also need a custom date wheel, otherwise the date will not line up in the window - it would be half a day out of sync.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The Tudor Heritage Ranger uses the ETA 2824 w/o date, so the dial can simply be rotated, using the original feet. On the other hand, for a 2824 date watch you would also need a custom date wheel, otherwise the date will not line up in the window - it would be half a day out of sync.
    Erm....not sure if I'm missing something here but even with a date window, surely you could just set the watch 12 hours ahead or behind, and the date would then still change at midnight? In the same way that if you get it 12 hours wrong with a conventional watch, then the date changes at noon?

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Erm....not sure if I'm missing something here but even with a date window, surely you could just set the watch 12 hours ahead or behind, and the date would then still change at midnight? In the same way that if you get it 12 hours wrong with a conventional watch, then the date changes at noon?
    You'd have to take the hands off and reset them anyway, so you'd just put them back on in the appropriate position for the date transition.

Just turning everything around 180 degrees would mean that the hands won't line up at the '12' position, as when the hour hand is at the top, the minute hand would be at the bottom!

It's a moot point, the Tudor Heritage Ranger does not have a date function.

If a watch does have a date it will not work because the date with its odd 31 days does not line up properly on the non-crown side.
    Last edited by Saxon007; 24th September 2014 at 02:33.

So long as a watch is non-date and the dial feet are opposite then it will be fine. The hands will line up as you set them up at the time of fitting to the dial. Simple really and manufacturers do it often. Its much trickier with date watches and has been said, you need a new 1/2 day offset datewheel.

Will Tudor do this for you...? I think I know the answer to that already.

And... If you have this done outside of the Tudor repair network I fear there will be a no warranty situation if you later have a problem.

Should you do it? yeah why not, it would be cool!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If a watch does have a date it will not work because the date with its odd 31 days does not line up properly on the non-crown side.
    That's exactly the point that I was making; a no-date watch, with an ETA 28xx, is a simple matter of rotating the dial as the dial feet are symmetrical, but any date version will require a custom date wheel in order to line up the date in the window. Because there are an uneven number of dates (31) the position directly opposite the crown will fall halfway between two dates. Not an issue for the Ranger but anyone thinking of creating a Destro from another ETA powered watch needs to keep this in mind.