closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zeno Czech pilot Mechanical in black----------AGAIN!

Zeno Czech pilot Mechanical in black----------AGAIN!

I've just missed out on Longines CAF on the Bay. Broke my heart it did. I bailed out at $1200 dollars that's my budget limit it went for $1325, doesn't look like I'm going to get one as theyree probably beyond my budget now. Antway, in my despondancy I came across The one Eddy is selling now, which is ok, but the Mechanique with subseconds with the black face & smaller font, man could be the longines CAF twin brother.
    Are there any of these around or have I had it for those as well ?

So are there none of the Zeno Czech Mecanique's to be had then ?

Zeno Retro Carre

I think you might be referring to a zeno retro carre...
    If so, try ebay item no. 160132953757
    I purchased one - excellent quality, looks good and keeps very good time

Re: Zeno Retro Carre

Quote Originally Posted by ezrapound

Thanks for that, but I'm really after the one with the smaller font, like the one Jon has or has.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfell
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrapound

Thanks for that, but I'm really after the one with the smaller font, like the one Jon has or has.
    I don't know if such a model exists or if its a trick of photographic composition when the watch is shot at a particular distance. I bought mine off eBay from the above seller. It will satisfy my CAF cravings... even if the Precista CAF homage never gets off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanF

I don't know if such a model exists or if its a trick of photographic composition when the watch is shot at a particular distance. I bought mine off eBay from the above seller. It will satisfy my CAF cravings... even if the Precista CAF homage never gets off the ground.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11186

Yes, mine does have a smaller font ... not only that but in real life the printing of the logo and ?Mechanique? are done in much fainter ink that the rest which makes the logo and plane drop away from vision. Of course the pictures treat white as all of the same hew ... I?ve noticed that with other watches too.

I must say, I haven?t seen another one with the small font. I must be blessed. :lol:

If I were lowfell I?d use the one with the big font, gets some nice straps for it, and after a while I?d forget about the logo and plane altogether.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I must say, I haven?t seen another one with the small font. I must be blessed. :lol:
    john
    See page 18 of Zeno's .pdf catalogue.

Jim :)

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11186

Yes, mine does have a smaller font ... not only that but in real life the printing of the logo and ?Mechanique? are done in much fainter ink that the rest which makes the logo and plane drop away from vision. Of course the pictures treat white as all of the same hew ... I?ve noticed that with other watches too.

If I were lowfell I?d use the one with the big font, gets some nice straps for it, and after a while I?d forget about the logo and plane altogether.

john

I just received the Zeno CAF Homage Watch from the German eBay seller. Its just a beautiful massive watch. The silver case plays beautifully off the black leather band. The font is small and not very distracting. It only appears big in a photograph, which is why people think its larger than is really the case. I hadn't expected Zeno to make a watch that can stand beside the original but I must say the watch exceeds my expectations in every imaginable. If Eddie Platts stocked the model on his website, I think the demand would be high since quite simply, its the most beautiful watch I've ever seen in my life. It gives very expensive high end watches a run for the money. :) 8)

Whether I stock it or not is irrelevant Norman, I can get any watch in the catalogue. Zeno made this watch in response to my request for a CAF hommage but I rejected it, it's simply not close enough or good enough to be a worthwhile homage.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Its just a beautiful massive watch.

?????
    Massive? :shock: It?s only 40mm.

????.

I must say the watch exceeds my expectations in every imaginable. If Eddie Platts stocked the model on his website, I think the demand would be high since quite simply, its the most beautiful watch I've ever seen in my life. It gives very expensive high end watches a run for the money. :) 8)
    Anyway, congratulations on your acquisition. I think it is the angular design that makes it look more than it is both in terms of substance and quality. I also think the shiny dial, conceals the fact that it?s mineral glass, well.

All and all you can?t put a price to it and it can stand next to any watch, at any price level. But at the end of the day, it?s a dress watch and you shouldn?t use it as a tool on your trip to Everest.

You?ve got 24mm of lug there which is the most versatile size going ... so, get some nice straps for it and get photographing.

My feeling is that Eddie was planning a more versatile version, a tad like the Italian, which is properly water resistant, sapphire, decorated mov, etc, but even if the Precista CAF does go ahead, it will never be as thin as the Zeno. :P

john

Grand Master
    You?ve got 24mm of lug there which is the most versatile size going ...
    Since when is 20mm or 22mm not the most versatile strap with?

Even 26mm (Paneritis) may be more versatile than 24mm ... :?:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    You?ve got 24mm of lug there which is the most versatile size going ...
    Since when is 20mm or 22mm not the most versatile strap with?

Even 26mm (Paneritis) may be more versatile than 24mm ... :?:
    1. 24mm is a fairly new size and as such it has been ?approached? by many new designers who might not have otherwise looked into the field.

2. There just aren?t enough 26mm lugged watches to worth making into a separate subject.

20mm - 22mm ??? Pa !!! They are so... yesterday. :roll: :roll: Next thing you will be espousing the benefits of 16mm. :twisted:

john

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Whether I stock it or not is irrelevant Norman, I can get any watch in the catalogue. Zeno made this watch in response to my request for a CAF hommage but I rejected it, it's simply not close enough or good enough to be a worthwhile homage.

Eddie
    No argument there, Eddie. At the price point the Retro Carre is sold for, there had to be certain compromises. For those who looking for an ideal CAF homage watch, it has to be like the original. You could keep working with Frickler to bring out a Precista model later. Or you could get in touch with Longines and see if they're amenable to bringing the original model back into production.

Its just a beautiful massive watch.

?????
    Massive? :shock: It?s only 40mm.

????.

I must say the watch exceeds my expectations in every imaginable. If Eddie Platts stocked the model on his website, I think the demand would be high since quite simply, its the most beautiful watch I've ever seen in my life. It gives very expensive high end watches a run for the money. :) 8)
    Anyway, congratulations on your acquisition. I think it is the angular design that makes it look more than it is both in terms of substance and quality. I also think the shiny dial, conceals the fact that it?s mineral glass, well.

All and all you can?t put a price to it and it can stand next to any watch, at any price level. But at the end of the day, it?s a dress watch and you shouldn?t use it as a tool on your trip to Everest.

You?ve got 24mm of lug there which is the most versatile size going ... so, get some nice straps for it and get photographing.

My feeling is that Eddie was planning a more versatile version, a tad like the Italian, which is properly water resistant, sapphire, decorated mov, etc, but even if the Precista CAF does go ahead, it will never be as thin as the Zeno. :P

john

It is listed in the catalogue as 42 mm. That qualifies as a big watch. As for the strap, I don't know if you've tried 26mm. Or would you go with a Panerai 24mm?

From another thread :

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:
    I tried on a Zeno "CAF" once and was shocked to see the lugs sticking out beyond each side of my wrist. It was a 100% definite buy until then, and I ended up walking away from it. Glad I didn't order it through the net without trying it first. :)
    It is a big watch. At the time I tried it I actually wished for my wrist to be more........ robust.

Jimbo :)

It is listed in the catalogue as 42 mm. That qualifies as a big watch. As for the strap, I don't know if you've tried 26mm. Or would you go with a Panerai 24mm?
    The head is 40mm without the crown and has 24mm lugs. On the Time Factors website it erroneously says 22mm lugs.

john