closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you still find your watches under 40mm attractive???

Journeyman

Do you still find your watches under 40mm attractive???

Today I am wearing my Tag Heuer Classic Automatic(WK2216) with 37mm case diamater and I find it more comfortable than my other watches with over 40mm case diameter.

I thought I would not go back to the classic look/style of watch after owning a few large watches but now I started to think again :)

Yes!

Jim :D

In fact I'm wearing a 33mm Roamer as we speak :

Jim :)

I don't have any watches under 40mm in diameter... :shock:

Simon

Re: Do you still find your watches under 40mm attractive???

Quote Originally Posted by bogs123
    Today I am wearing my Tag Heuer Classic Automatic(WK2216) with 37mm case diamater and I find it more comfortable than my other watches with over 40mm case diameter.

I thought I would not go back to the classic look/style of watch after owning a few large watches but now I started to think again :)
    If comfort is what you are after ... Have you considered the possibility of not wearing a watch at all? :P

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Yep, last night I was wearing my PRS-20 (including through the night because the large dial makes it easily readable at 3am). This morning I've strapped on my 36mm Omega Dynamic for the day. I like the variety, it's one of the reasons I have several watches, so that I can vary size and look of what I'm wearing.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Journeyman

That is so uncomfortable for a WIS :)

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

If comfort is what you are after ... Have you considered the possibility of not wearing a watch at all? :P

john

I still prefer watches with sizes below or equal to 40mm. They are generally better looking proportionally and more comfy and practical for daily wear. Easier to match any kind of wardrobe. Less blingy.

Master
    Oh yes. Wearing a 36 mm Glycine Airman and lovin' it 8)

Cheers,
    Gert

Do you still find your watches under 40mm attractive???
    No. They are interesting and different, but not attractive.

john

Two of my favorite watches are the PRS-6 and PRS-10. The '6 currently sits on a tan pigskin strap and is a great, not-so-dressy everyday watch. The '10 is a superb weekend beater. Being around 36mm diameter and 10mm tall, both of them are examples of understated, as-far-from-bling-as-you-can-get, tool-watch designs. And that definitely makes them attractive in my book.

I got about five 36/37mm watches and love them. If you REALLY want to be the new avant-garde, get yourself some 33/34mm watches.

36mm is nice. 33mm is a statement.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman
    Agree with the majority of the previous posters.

I prefer 36-ish mm watches. My watches that measure 40 mm and more tend to get less wrist time. They may be good looking, but when considering which watch to wear 'comfort' is on aspect taken into account. Smaller watches don't need the cuffs to be adjusted (as discussed in another thread).

rgds,
    /joakim

I have quite a few watches under 40mm and find them very attractive.

small is the new black :wink:

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I don't own any watches under 40mm anymore, I used to have an Airman Vintage V, but hardly ever wore it, nice watch but I couldn't get on with the 36mm case :(

Had it only been around 40mm :roll:

Thomas

Craftsman
    My Breitling Colt Auto Mk1 (38mm) is the watch I feel most comfortable with.

Also, Fedex are about to deliver a cheeky little 36mm number :bounce:

I'm about to find out whether I can get used to a watch that's both small diameter and thin. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Tell me about it! :D
    Have you ever tried to explain that to a lady? :lol: :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Grand Master

Yes. But there isn't a switch that get flipped at 40mm where the watch suddenly becomes big or attractive - it depends on the style. I only have one watch under 40mm now and it would look like a dinner plate if it was 40mm or bigger (it's an ancient dress watch). So at ~36mm it's spot on.

Much of it is to do with the dial size as well. A small watch with a big, open dial and thin bezel can look bigger than it is.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I quite often find <40mm watches attractive.

I just wouldn't wear one.

Grand Master
    Yes, I do find a number of <40mm watches attractive. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Yes. But there isn't a switch that get flipped at 40mm where the watch suddenly becomes big or attractive - it depends on the style. I only have one watch under 40mm now and it would look like a dinner plate if it was 40mm or bigger (it's an ancient dress watch). So at ~36mm it's spot on.

Much of it is to do with the dial size as well. A small watch with a big, open dial and thin bezel can look bigger than it is.
    True, also the length of the lugs is an important factor.......

:)

Alan

Grand Master
    Yes & no as some are & some aren't! Some vintage Rolex are nice looking (especially on a strap) but after trying one on they just look daft (whether 34mm or 36mm) on me. Similarly for other vintage watches.

I've an SMP full size, the mid-size (which a friend of mine owns) just looks too small. Still love the style of watch though.

However I'd probably not wear one much less than 40mm, just don't like the look on my wrist.

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Master
    Yes!

Having gone up to the dizzy hieghts of 46mm I'm now firmly bucking the trend and am realise that I enjoy sub 40mm watches the best. Ideally I like 36 -38mm.

IMO it shows of the watchmakers skill far better than the "action man" type "long bonnet" watches... :roll:

My longest lasting love affair is this 34mm Louis Erard...

Thomas Reid
    I have two watches over 40mm. I don't mind them very much. One, at 42mm, is thin enough almost to be a daily wearer. The other, at 43/44, and thicker, is fun, but definitely not a daily wearer. I got these because folks said over 40mm is the way to go. I won't be going out of my way to get any more. (Or to build up watches for the cases I have at > 40mm.)

For dive watches, I don't mind 39/40mm. (If I was diving, I would use whatever tool was most appropriate. However, I use dive watches as general sports/beater watches. At more than 40mm it starts to get in the way.)

For everthing else, I find 37 -- 38 mm optimal. 35-36 okay. 39-40 okay.

I would place anything bigger than 40mm in the same category that I would place anything smaller than 35mm: fun, but not serious. (This is for me. I only make aesthetic judgments about what other people do when I need to. E.g., when it is suggested that I emulate them. ;))

Best wishes,
    Bob

I have a couple of vintage Omega watches that are under 40mm that look good on. However, I like my 'tool' and diver watches to wear larger.I think you can get away with dress watches being smaller :)

Rod

Master
    It seems to me like asking the same question about breasts i.e. once you have handled some 38DD's would you ever go back to 36C's ?

Quote Originally Posted by smersh
    I still prefer watches with sizes below or equal to 40mm. They are generally better looking proportionally and more comfy and practical for daily wear. Easier to match any kind of wardrobe. Less blingy.
    I think that Smersh's point applies just as well to the breast question.

And Griswold's

"small is the new black" - I have heard this mentioned on the breast issue.

( See Mike's (Mr1973) various posts for further evaluation in "the Boy's Room")

My view ? I find them all attractive in their own way. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    It seems to me like asking the same question about breasts i.e. once you have handled some 38DD's would you ever go back to 36C's ?

And Griswold's

Regards

Brian
    Small for me :D

Rod

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian

And Griswold's

Regards

Brian
    on reflection I think this a good analogy. IMO it is not so much size, as form and functionality... :)

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Tell me about it! :D
    Have you ever tried to explain that to a lady? :lol: :lol:
    If she needs an explanation she is no lady. :wink: :D

Is the peg too small, or the hole too big? ... and black doesn't have to explain it self. Black is black. Everyone knows, once black, never back.

john

Hang on a minute smersh, if that isn't a sweeping statement I don't know what is :shock:. You seem to be suggesting that by definition smaller watches are less blingy than big ones, and better looking too. I think that's ludicrous...

Simon

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft
    Hang on a minute smersh, if that isn't a sweeping statement I don't know what is :shock:.
    It might be a bit sweeping in some respects, although there's no doubt that smaller, lighter watches are more practical - they don't catch on sweaters and cuffs or get twatted into door frames as much. A large watch, all other things being equal, should offer greater readability, but all other things are rarely equal. The dial design makes more of a difference to readability than overall size (compare a busy 44mm Breitling to a 37mm Nomos).

Besides, it's no more sweeping than "anything smaller than 40mm is a tiddly waste of time" :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Interesting point... i sometimes used to think that anything below 40mm looked silly... but after a few days i kind of get use to it.

Although if i was honest, i do prefer 40mm +

my maximum comfortable size is 42 mm.... anything over that i have tried seems a little too big!

Guess it's a personal thing really.

Mike :wink:

I can get on fine with my 38mm Poljot, 34mm Omega DeVille, 39mm Tag Heuer Indy, and ~34mm Rado DiaStar original. But for some reason, my 36mm SMP looks too damned small to me these days now that I've got some bigger divers. Bugger, it was my favorite and daily wearer for so many years :(

Yup, since I do not wear them, I find them pleasing to look at!

Master
    small is the new black :wink: . . .
    Black it is, Gris . . .

34mm but a nice 30mm dial and it's ALL black!

Light is also my new black :roll: this one weighs just 1 oz (28g) with the strap!

Journeyman

<40mm watches

It depends on my mood or what I'm doing or wearing really.

I'm a huge fan of my PRS 53 at 37mm which I wear a lot, the same with my Seiko SUS which also gets a lot of wrist time and is a bit smaller. My 6309's also get worn regularly too and they can't be described as small by any standards.

For me, legibility is important and as far as that's concerned, under normal circumstances I'm not convinced that size is the wholly deciding factor, the Precista 53 (and many WWW watches of the 6b design) and SEIKO SUS are good examples of highly legible watches which aren't too big on the wrist.

During my military service working in and around the water I used to wear an old quartz divers watch which was accurate and probably only about 40mm diameter, this in no way affected it's legibility, anything bigger would have been a bit of a pain in the arse because it used to catch on stuff and get in the way a bit. (In fact I remember a particular incident where I saw a coleague offered a Rolex sub from stores and turn it down in favour of some new boots. I'm not sure that I'd do that now, but then good boots aren't so important to me these days.

For me at least in this case size dosen't really matter...........

Master
    Love 'em all, big and small.

That said, I think some manufacturers have made bad big watch design decisions. There are some by Patek particularly and even by more 'practical' makers like JLC & IWC that are beginning to look silly already.

Anyway, I've found a storage solution for my largest pieces. They're hanging on the wall over the computer and I use them as clocks for different time zones.

Love them! The watches I like best are 37-40mm. They sit better, are more proportional, and mor comfortable to wear.

Now, I have a new one that's 37mm wide that I am enjoying that is just a wee but longer than 37mm

it is 47mm long witha 26mm strap.

Journeyman

yes

At slightly less than 40mm I still wear it!!
    Have a Great day

Dale Arnold
    Spokane, Wa[/img]

I can't get on with watches much over 40mm. The biggest watches I have are an Orange Monster and a SKX007.

I tried on a Zeno "CAF" once and was shocked to see the lugs sticking out beyond each side of my wrist. It was a 100% definite buy until then, and I ended up walking away from it. Glad I didn't order it through the net without trying it first. :)

I like the height of the PRS14, an especially this one :

Jimbo :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by draz
    Two of my favorite watches are the PRS-6 and PRS-10. The '6 currently sits on a tan pigskin strap
    Hi Draz, got any pictures of the '6?

BTW, with 6.75" of a wrist diameter, anything over 40mm looks like one of those parachutists wrist altimeters!

So all my watches are between 36 and 39 and are definitely still attractive!

Wearing the 36mm SMP today. Feels okay on the wrist actually and I do get used to the size after a few hours...

Journeyman

Yes!!! I just got this. It's 38mm (pix)------>

but the large dial and lack of a bezel give it a *larger* look.

Regards...Joel M<hr>

Re: Yes!!! I just got this. It's 38mm (pix)------>

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    but the large dial and lack of a bezel give it a *larger* look.

Regards...Joel M..............
    Terrific watch in excellent condition. If Eddie doesn't make one soon, I am going to have to get an original, and I don't want to. :evil: :D

john

Master
    The Lemania looks amazing on the grey nato.

Really a stunner 8) .

And even at "only" 38mm it looks quite large, I like it a lot.

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by seeky
    Hi Draz, got any pictures of the '6?
    Sure do! When I first got it, I also ordered an aviator strap to go with it, but I never really liked the combination that much. To my eyes, the strap was too substantial for a watch of that size.

For a long while I kept it on a braided NATO strap, initially because it didn't seem to fit on anything else, but then because I really love this combination. You'll also see this on Eddie's site in the NATO strap section.

Then it dawned on me that the during the time period that watches like this were around, pigskin ought to have been a pretty common material for watch straps, so I started hunting. I found some open ended pigskin straps and got one tan and one black one (sorry, no pix of the black one):

For reference, my wrist is about 6.5" in diameter and 55mm flat on top (how's that for a mixture of measurement system!). I appear to have lost my left thumb, so I guess I better hunt around for that next! :D

If you really want some pix of the watch on the black pigskin, PM me and I can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by draz

It looks nice on the pigskin and you are right, pigskin used to be very popular. I wish I could find something as nice as yours in the UK. A quick google brought up some nuff ones.

john

That 6 looks good. I had one for a while and it was a really nice watch. At the time I wasn't wearing it and thought it too small, but I'm wearing 2 or 3 watches regularly now in that sort of size now. My taste seems to fluctuate in terms of what size I want to wear, sometimes daily, sometimes even hourly!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice
    love that shot - the tan seems almost orange and the strap quite substantial - do you mind me asking where you got it from?

My watches range from 33-42 mm (biggest is a Speedmaster Pro) and I love them all. Anything bigger would look stupid on my wrist, but I notice that some people have no concept of 'it's too big for my wrist'. :lol: