closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How are the mighty fallen . .

Master

How are the mighty fallen . .

Elgin and their contemporaries, once the pride of American watchmaking. The names live on but now owned in far-off lands :cry:

From this . . .

. . . to this!

Craftsman
    The top photo of classic Elgin's are beautiful. Are they yours? If so, you've got a great collection there.

Here's my Elgin:

Grand Master

Re: How are the mighty fallen . .

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Elgin and their contemporaries, once the pride of American watchmaking. The names live on but now owned in far-off lands :cry:
    Whilst Elgin is gone to a factory in Taiwan, at least Hamilton is still going strong, making quality, affordable watches that people like, with good, tried-and-trusted movements in them. Similarly Ball, which died a quiet death several years ago (noticed by absolutely no-one) has been resurrected to good effect. Some jingoistic types have decried the fact that Hamilton "sold out" to the Swiss, but the alternative - making watches at a permanent loss in hugely expensive American factories - is definitely worse

Anyway, NB Yaeger is now an American brand. Actually it was to begin with, if you see what I mean...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Nice, Phil!! How old?

Quote Originally Posted by Pararescue
    The top photo of classic Elgin's are beautiful. Are they yours? If so, you've got a great collection there.
    They were all bought on eBay to fix and resell.

Top left: has a broken balance staff. Out for new staff, I may keep this one.
    Btm left:also broken balance staff. Out for new staff, then service and sell.
    Top ctr: dial too bad to resell. Keeping for spare parts.
    Right: A nice Lord Elgin model in pieces on my bench as we speak.

Later 70's Walthams are pretty disappointing too, they have a tendency to be unfixable by just cleaning and oiling.

There's far worse

How about this...

to this...

Nice, Phil!! How old?
    I believe it is from 1924.

Master
    Oh the pity of UG!

Looks a case of not-quite-sure-what-to-do, so, I'll do it aII :wink:

That UG chrono has lovely hands-you know they say you can tell quite a lot by the hands of a watch... That one looks to be, stylistically, from the 40's...
    :lol:

AP:)

From this.

To this. :(

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master
    :roll: The sad thing too is it seems quite likely the designer of the latter was feted and the designer of the former given the heave-ho or their work ignored.

A true artist is hated their lifetime! Hoping for a change in designer for Zenith soon or a change from within :wink:

AP :)

I have these vintage ones in need of repair.

...and I just got this new hammy but the cell phone takes terrible pics.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Whilst Elgin is gone to a factory in Taiwan, at least Hamilton is still going strong, making quality, affordable watches that people like, with good, tried-and-trusted movements in them. Similarly Ball, which died a quiet death several years ago (noticed by absolutely no-one) has been resurrected to good effect. Some jingoistic types have decried the fact that Hamilton "sold out" to the Swiss, but the alternative - making watches at a permanent loss in hugely expensive American factories - is definitely worse

Anyway, NB Yaeger is now an American brand. Actually it was to begin with, if you see what I mean...
    Very good point. As an American I wish that we still had the major watch makers here that we once had - sadly that is not the case. However, Hamilton is still making watches that appear to be principally intended for the American market. When I introduced my new Hamilton Mt Vernon Chrono here one comment was to the effect of how "American" it was - I quite agree. Its in the Art Deco style and I think that many of the Swiss Hamilton - Swatch decisions are to make watches in that "style".

I now own a 1940s dress Hamilton tank 18kt manual watch from my Grandfather and the new Hamilton. While I realize they are not the same company other than in name they do have a similar feel to them in design and quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    I have these vintage ones in need of repair.
    What's wrong with them? I have some Hamilton 980 parts. Plus that Elgin in my first post, the one with the crap dial. Maybe we can get your two running?

Tom I have a very good watchmaker for restorations.

Thanks guys. I have to check them again. I know that the Elgin has a broken seconds hand and a wobbly broken crown, needs restoration. The Hammy doesn't work either - they probably need a complate taking apart, assessment, overhaul. restore, etc. I'm not ready to spend the moolah yet. ;-)

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    It wasn't a swift fall, here is a Elgin from after they went bust and were bought by MZB, but were still good quality watches: (The post-bankruptcy Elgins have that funny stylized "E" logo.)

Hamilton..."sold out" to the Swiss, but the alternative - making watches at a permanent loss in hugely expensive American factories - is definitely worse
    Actually, Hamilton was "bought out," they didn't "sell out."

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

Actually, Hamilton was "bought out," they didn't "sell out."
    I wonder when Precista does gets bought out? What would it take to put Eddie on some beach? Would he still be logging in for a chat?

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I wonder when Precista does gets bought out? What would it take to put Eddie on some beach? Would he still be logging in for a chat?

john
    Well, unless Precista gets in serious financial trouble and need huge amounts of cash, it's not likely to get "bought out."

"Bought out" usually implies the company had a choice of going insolvent, or changing owners; whereas, "sold out" implies the owners just wanted some cash to retire or some such.

Whilst Elgin is gone to a factory in Taiwan . . .

Add to that list Waltham. My office is in Waltham and the only reminders of its watchmaking past are a brewpub named Watch City Brewing Co. (http://www.watchcitybrew.com) and the factory which is still standing (dendritics.com/scales/watch-factory.asp). I have yet to check out the factory but I have certainly been to the brewpub. :)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickf
    Whilst Elgin is gone to a factory in Taiwan . . .

Add to that list Waltham. My office is in Waltham and the only reminders of its watchmaking past are a brewpub named Watch City Brewing Co. (http://www.watchcitybrew.com) and the factory which is still standing (dendritics.com/scales/watch-factory.asp). I have yet to check out the factory but I have certainly been to the brewpub. :)

Rick
    I just love all that stuff ... especially the American end ... and there's plenty of it on the net. So many names, so much history. :love5:

john

Ingersoll, then ...

... and now.

Not much change then. :lol:

john

Quote Originally Posted by rickf

Rick
    Unfortunately, in Elgin, Illinios, someone decided that the land could be put to better ues, a strip mall now sits where there was once the largest American watchmaking factory.

1885:

1966:

2006:

Grand Master

2006:
    I see they flattened it to commemorate its 100th anniversary. Mind you that's the kind of thing everyone was up to in the '60s, known to architects everywhere as the "shit" decade :(
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Unfortunately, in Elgin, Illinois, someone decided that the land could be put to better ues, a strip mall now sits where there was once the largest American watchmaking factory.
    I'm sure the strip mall was desperately needed by the local community, just like the 4-lane road in back of my house which has been under construction for about a year.

At 7 am prompt today (according to the Traser): - "beep, beep, beep, beep" . . "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" - "beep, beep, beep, beep" . . "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" . . Ho hum, time to get up and package watches :cry: :wink:

Callaway

Illinois Watch Co. In Springfield Il.

The shots of the old Elgin plant reminds me of the Illinois Watch Co plant in Springfield, it also had the large clock tower now it's home for a Mickey D's and a drab state office building. And with all the master watchmakers we had here you would be hard pressed to find a competent "repairman" in the whole city. They were bought out by Hamilton operated under the Illinois Watch Co for a time then the plant was converted over to make meters now all that's left is the fine old timepieces they made.