closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Don't get in over your head if you are a fat bastard

Don't get in over your head if you are a fat bastard

I was snorkeling yesterday, for about an hour or more. I was snorkeling most of that time in pretty shallow water. I was about to get out b/c I was tired when my brother in law wanted me to find an old cement anchor in water over our head - an anchor left over from a floating raft that we used to put out there all summer. I knew pretty much where it was, having snorkelled over it many a time. He got a rope with a floater on top and I went out to attach it. Once I found it I had to go down a few feet in water over my head and found that the steel i-bolt was rusted. I was able to ram my finger through it and make the hole big enough. I put the rope through but by this time my lungs were burning for air so I came up. Problem was at this time I was so tired and lets face it no longer in fighting shape. I tried going down again but by this time I was breathing heavy when I came up and couldn't catch my breath. The stupid mask started filling with water and the snorkel popped out of my mouth, took in some water, and b4 you know it I was flailing like a drowning swimmer. I know how to swim. All I had to do was clear the snorkel and stay put near the surface until my breathing slowed, but it's amazing how hyperventilation and panic can add up to a potentially deadly situation in mere seconds. I never experienced such a thing before. Things running through my head ranged from embarrassment to the irony that here I will drown in water slightly over my head in a spot that I have snorkelled and swam in times more numerous to count, in a lake that I have played in since I was a mere toddler.

Well, my brother, brother in law, and wife all realised what was happening and I recall seeing the splashes of them all diving in from 3 different points, and my brother in law had a huge circular raft that he was pushing with him and he got there in just enough time after I took in some gross algae filled lake water. He was like, "What happened?" I told him that I started hyperventilating b/c I was tired and I just couldn't catch my breath. How friggin' embarrassing though....

So, I learned, never do that when tired and never do it without someone closer by. Swimming and snorkeling in over your head water isn't the problem, it was being tired and diving under and getting out of breath and just a bad combo of stuff. The guys on the diving forum ought to get a laugh out of this. ;-)

BTW I was wearing the Zeno Explorer with Debeer leather strap. Hey if you have to die, good to die whilst wearing a nicely built Swiss watch. ;-)

Craftsman
    All's well that ends well. Glad that you're ok.

You were wearing the DN and it dragged you down. Glad your OK Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    You were wearing the DN and it dragged you down. Glad your OK Tom.
    If I was wearing the DN I might not have made it. :twisted:

Grand Master
    Glad all worked out ok. I'm a diver & a qualified life guard, however when out of breath after a long swim or strenuous dive things like this are so easy to get into. But panic is what will kill ya!

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Glad to hear you are OK Tom. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Glad it was all alright!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Phew ... that was close.

john
    Every watch a story.

That sounds like a really nasty experience Tom, glad you're OK.

Water is a dangerous substance, and it doesn't have to be deep either. I do a lot of fishing and see people wading, waist deep, in rivers without a buoyancy aid or wading staff - madness. :shock:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    I've never been in water since I saw Jaws :shock: :D
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.