closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Speedy packaging and pricing

New Speedy packaging and pricing

Apologies if this is old news but I recently discovered that Omega are relaunching their iconic moonwatch with new packaging, a new bracelet and NATO straps, all for a hefty new price tag:

More info here:

http://www.speedywatches.com/breakin...new-packaging/

It seems like Omega really is reaching for the stars of the super-luxury market...

So what do you think, chaps?

If I was getting a new speedy I would pay for it, but I am an Omega fan. Iconic has the new packaging version of the 3570.50 at £2590 new. I don't think it's that bad really.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...570-50-93.html

Craftsman
    It looks like quite a nice set. I wonder what the upgrade to the bracelet is. looks like nothing on the head has changed, just the ref#.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    It looks like quite a nice set. I wonder what the upgrade to the bracelet is. looks like nothing on the head has changed, just the ref#.
    Apparently it's a screwed bracelet, same as the 9300er speedy.

If those are the insanely expensive new Omega-signed NATOs (€150 each), that's a pretty good deal all-in.

Grand Master
    That box would look really nice in the suitcase with the rest of the boxes.

Yep well worth paying for to hide it away!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    If those are the insanely expensive new Omega-signed NATOs (€150 each), that's a pretty good deal all-in.

How much for a NATO?!

I hope Eddie isn't reading this...

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

Apparently the box containing the extras (without the watch) is available for $750...

Craftsman
    Its a cool bit of marketing but its essentially the same watch. I would prefer if it was cheaper and I could source cheap NATO's elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by exp- View Post
    Its a cool bit of marketing but its essentially the same watch. I would prefer if it was cheaper and I could source cheap NATO's elsewhere.
    Agreed. Lots of NATO's are available elsewhere for very little money, some even with Speedy labels (but not Omega branding).

Does anyone know whether Omega will be stopping production of the 3570.50.00?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Yes they are. This new package replaces it.

How much for a NATO?!

I hope Eddie isn't reading this...
    Have a read of: Thoughts on this Speedy strap...

Agreed. Lots of NATO's are available elsewhere for very little money, some even with Speedy labels (but not Omega branding).

Have a look at: 3570.50.00; where it says "Note: watch no longer available".

Aye. Keep an eye on the next sale from some shops for a 3570 bargain ;)

£300 doesn't seem much of an increase even without the new packaging.

Remarkably fair deal, I'd say, although it does push the Speedmaster through the, perhaps, significant 3K boundary.

M.

Unfortunately Omega have moved their products into a higher price bracket.

The classic Speedy Pro represents a problem for them – they can't get rid of it, and they can't improve the spec. So they're struggling for ways to increase it's value.

The current Pro is priced at £2,880 and the Co-ax date version at £5,540. Omega are sure to want to close the gap.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

+1......crazy IMO. Nothing wrong with the watch or the original packaging.

I`m sure some will enjoy the warm feeling of buying the new package, but when the dust has settled and the watch is on the wrist being worn, it might not seem like good value.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

The classic Speedy Pro represents a problem for them – they can't get rid of it, and they can't improve the spec. So they're struggling for ways to increase it's value.
    Agreed all round. Not sure the bracelet is much of a worthwhile improvement; screwed pins are more robust than pins, as a rule of thumb, but they could have fitted on-the-fly microadjustment to the clasp and put the price up by thousands.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I think at £2,590 from Iconic, that's a nice package. If someone was looking for a brand new quality watch they could wear anywhere and for any occassion, and hold their head high in any company, what better could you choose for the money?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Remarkably fair deal, I'd say, although it does push the Speedmaster through the, perhaps, significant 3K boundary.

M.
    agree.

nice to see some improvements along with a price increase.

I just wish they would bring back the stepped dials.. the modern ones seem so flat...

Craftsman

The current Pro is priced at £2,880 and the Co-ax date version at £5,540. Omega are sure to want to close the gap.
    I can see your point and partially agree. On the other hand, perhaps Omega see the moonwatch as something that contributes to their 'heritage' and is also perhaps a stepping stone for people to 'join the brand'?

Isn't current RRP £2.9k compared to new packaging RRP £3.5k ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M.

I've always queried the wisdom of including a loupe with a new watch. It seems a sure way to increase QC returns, whether real or imagined faults are seen.

It does look a nice overall package, I like the caseback medal particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think at £2,590 from Iconic, that's a nice package. If someone was looking for a brand new quality watch they could wear anywhere and for any occassion, and hold their head high in any company, what better could you choose for the money?
    Iconic were selling the now 'old' model last year for £2,400. So for an extra £190 you now get the box, loupe, nato strap, the fabric/velco strap, strap changing tool, and some others bits or pieces. That is a bargain.

How much is the loupe likely to be 'worth'? They're not something I've ever looked at, but Hodinkee popped up on my Instagram feed with their offering and I was shocked at how expesive it was.

If you compare RRP's then it doesn't seem much of a bargain to me.

The previous Speedy was 2880 the new one 3340. That's £460 for the box, springbar tool, loupe, straps and medallion.

Non-Omega branded, high quality springbar tool, straps and loupe could be had for around £50...just sayin'!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 24th September 2014 at 16:00.

The previous Speedy was 2880 the new one 3340. That's £460 for the box, springbar tool, straps and medallion.
    Or £190 if you go to someone like Iconic and don't pay RRP. You can buy a Speedy Pro from an AD for less than what Iconic charge if you make the effort.

No-one in their right mind pays RRP...

Non-Omega branded, high quality springbar tool, straps and loupe could be had for around £50...just sayin'!
    Indeed. And non-Rolex golf brollies can be had for a tenner. And high-quality non-Rolex bracelets cost a fraction of the price of genuine ones. And non-club footy shirts can be had for pennies...

I'm sure there will be a ready supply of folks wanting to buy just the addons so buy one from iconic at 2590, flog the gubbins and be quids-in :)

Craftsman
    Surprised this new speedmaster doesn't have the display back?

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Surprised this new speedmaster doesn't have the display back?
    There is a display back option for the model with the sapphire crystal glass. The version that closest resembles the actual moonwatch has hesalite crystal and solid caseback. There are also countless other combinations, editions and special editions that Omega uses to cash in on one of their watches having been to the moon and back!

Whichever way you look at it ... it's beautifully presented

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I just wish they would bring back the stepped dials.. the modern ones seem so flat...
    Is this true? Do the modern ones not have the 'sunken effect' subdials or something?

Box of goodies....just something bigger to put in the loft.

That makes a lot of sense. It's too much of an icon for them to change the actual watch so they need to find other ways to refresh it and hike up the price...

Now where can I find myself a nice 2915 or 2998...
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 24th September 2014 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Have a read of: Thoughts on this Speedy strap...

Have a look at: 3570.50.00; where it says "Note: watch no longer available".
    Thanks! Just to let you know I returned the NATO strap today for a refund. In the interest of one or two other posts here, I paid £85 for it. This was discounted from approx £110. I also believe that the new box set for the Speedy can be purchased separately at roughly £400.

I was told that the bracelet is upgraded from the previous one although it wasn't explained exactly what they had upgraded..

Master
    It is another way to sell more Speedy.

Journeyman
    The new packaging is nice, but I'd rather have a lower price. For some reason I wish they kept the model number the same.

Craftsman
    New packaging puts me off tbh. Have come close to buying a speedy before but the thought of now paying extra for some straps I'd never use (would only wear it on the bracelet) and a box that would sit in the top of the wardrobe does not appeal.

nearly new 3570 might be a better prospect??

It was only a few years ago they were £2100 rrp....then they quickly jumped up by about £500 for which you got absolutely nothing....so in that sense it's quite good that you get 'so much' for the extra £300 this time.
    Last edited by Rob; 24th September 2014 at 20:56.

Craftsman
    Sometimes I get the impression that Omega are trying to milk the Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Oh you cynic! Omega are just protecting the legacy of the Speedmaster for future generations to enjoy.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 25th September 2014 at 09:15.

Master
    Possibly, but may of the shops selling omegas that I have been into in the last 6 months have only one or in the majority no Speedmasters on display.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It was only a few years ago they were £2100 rrp....then they quickly jumped up by about £500 for which you got absolutely nothing....so in that sense it's quite good that you get 'so much' for the extra £300 this time.
    That's pretty depressing!

Anyone seen any sales of the "old" model around?

in 2006 the RRP was £1650... I know because I bought one as a engagement present to myself (well SWMBO did get a nice ring!) but managed to get it with 20% off :) The price has been creeping up and now it's through the £3k barrier it won't slow down I bet. In the recent interview with Omega's CEO he agreed that the Speedy Pro was almost 'an entry level' watch and that they wanted to 'add value' = put the price up!
    The package is very nice and to be honest I think it does add value. In this segment price perception is a major factor and if something is seen as too cheap then it's almost as bad as being perceived as too expensive.

I still think the speedy is a very well priced watch for what it is and I can see me picking one up at some point.

I think to the non WIS the fact its a manual wind will put them off as they see automatics as the be all and end all of swiss watches. I know myself that the first things my mates say to me when they see a new watch I have is "is it automatic?"

The fact that non WIS' may feel this way will surely ensure that Omega price the speedy accordingly as an "entry level" watch and not over price it. Good for the likes of us!

zsayub116610
    Not an omega fan, but the box looks 173918x better than Rolex

I got one of the Speedies from Iconic with the new packaging a couple of weeks ago. The bracelet still has a crap micro adjustment, despite them swapping the tubes for screws. The new straps are great, as is the package as a whole. I definitely wouldn't pay nearly £500 extra for it though.

It's probably been said, but all most people would ever use from the box is the nato and the strap tool, which you can pick up for, I don't know, £30? The box, like all my other watch boxes, will end up in the loft or similar... Not worth the extra IMO.

Journeyman
    It's frustrating as would quite like a speedy one day but 3k is too much really. Guess we need a Chinese economic crash to slow these down.... Can't believe the costs are going up all that much

Funny I was offered the new box package for £446.54 recently from an Omega boutique - not decided as two Omega NATO straps are close to that price so tempted but realise that after initial novelty box will sit in the wardrobe!

However, I am toying with the idea of going for a black alligator with deployant as my Apollo 11 45th anniversary sits on the brown NATO so I have that NATO look with a speedy.

Out of interest, what are your guys thoughts? (If the OP doesn't mind the slight hijack! ;-))