closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some thoughts on a restored Speedsonic....

Some thoughts on a restored Speedsonic....

A few months ago I took a bit of a punt on one of my all time favourite vintage Omegas, a Speedsonic. It was a non-runner, with a water damaged dial, so really the sort of thing to be steered well clear of. When it arrived I was quite taken with it, great looking, and well worth getting sorted. The original intention was to get it operational, and just enjoy it as was; the water damage wasn't too noticeable, and I am usually quite happy with watches that look a bit beaten up so that would have been fine with me.

Unfortunately it was beyond redemption for the repairer I initially sent it to, and after wasting time and money on trying to get it sorted, decided to bite the bullet and get it properly restored at STS. Having decided that I needed to spend serious money getting it sorted, I took the decision to go the whole hog and get the dial and hands changed at the same time. STS service was impeccable throughout, and though it took quite a few weeks, the results have been impressive.

I knew it would look good but I didn't appreciate just how perfect it would be on return - its as if it is brand new. Even the dial and hands have good lume, and there is simply not a mark on it anywhere.

I've spent much more than I intended on the watch plus the repair, and its fair to say I could probably have got one ready-done for less than the money I have spent in total. Nevertheless I am very happy with the watch, and if I had gone for STS in the first place, it would probably have even made sense financially (not that I intend to sell it anyway).

It got me thinking about whether it was worth doing at all. And while its an irrelevant comparison, it seems from the Beaverbrooks website, that it is impossible to get anything from Omega's current range for the budget I used in total to buy and restore the watch, including the failed first attempt to fix it, so I guess in those terms it seems like excellent value. Would I do it again? Probably not, but I am very pleased with my 40 year old new watch!

My rubbish phone snap really doesn't get across how lovely it looks:

Blog Entries
    Was it ebay about 4 or 5 months ago? I think I had a punt first time around...

Lovley watch and I love to see things coming back from the dead... There's something very noble about investing in a beautiful old watch to restore it to its former glory... I've achieved that a couple of times and am about have a punt at something rather nice too that requires a little bit of work, not much, but enough to keep it intersting!!!

Ben

This is probably one of the most heartening topics I have read. I have always had a hankering for a Speedsonic but after months of sitting on the fence getting close to purchasing then bottling out at due to the worry of whether I would be able to continue to have any issues with it rectified due to the age of the watch. Yours looks stunning and I now have a stronger resolve about taking a punt. Thanks & enjoy.

Master
    That's a lovely example, I have a NASA 'Alaska project' radial dial Speedonic being worked on at the moment which when returned to me will be one rare rare beast

It's a great example and as usual the chaps at STS/ Swisstec have done a brilliant job! Looks like a belting job on the case refinish too, their lapping facilities are really paying dividends now!

Speedsonics are superb watches, the lobsters are IMHO on of the most interestingoy designed watches of the 70s and lest we forget when new these speedsonics where mega money

Thanks chaps for the positive comments! Yes it was an ebay auction, originally had a brown dial, though STS did not have the colour in replacement dial. And it had an 1162 bracelet fitted, which I've since moved on - I don't like bracelets much and as I'm not planning on selling pointless to keep it.

Journeyman
    Lovely job there-Nice to hear Sts doing another good job, I've got a speedie 125 there atm.

I always have a warm glow of doing good for the world when I have a watch restored, especially if its not financially viable. Well done, without enthusiasts like you these would just be sad shadows of their former selves instead of beautiful and desirable objects.

Journeyman
    Nice work....

Master
    OP: can you post some more pics of the case, I have a beaten up sonic which is off to Swisstec (STS) and id like to see the results of their lapping

I did exactly the same with a raised-indices Speedsonic back in 2012. Bought as a non-runner through an auction, I sent it off to STS who salvaged the decent original dial and popped a NOS handset on, serviced the movement and refinished the case and bracelet. I was in love and congratulated myself on my WISdom for saving such an interesting piece of horological history.

Then, about six months later, I got bored and sold it to a fellow TZer. I've had pangs of regret over that time but nothing I've lost sleep over as at least I brought it back from the dead.

Congratulations OP - that one looks very nice and you have the benefit now of the lapping machine at STS. My case had to be refinished by hand and wasn't as sharp as that one ;)

Last edited by j0hnbarker; 7th October 2014 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    OP: can you post some more pics of the case, I have a beaten up sonic which is off to Swisstec (STS) and id like to see the results of their lapping
    Here's mine mate, done by you know who ; )

Congratulation Rob, the Speedsonic is a fantastic watch IMHO and, dare I say it, far more interesting than the millions of Speedmasters out there. Enjoy it.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    They all look stunning! Great to hear of these old watches brought back to life.

ive had a few of these and imho they look amazing when they are clean and bright and 'new', they look very seedy when beat up - the opposite of a speedmaster pro or sm300 etc. Im loving the work done and the fact you followed through no matter the cost to get what you wanted. STS/Swisstec are the place for these. I had a few done at Omega but my understanding is that they dont want to do them now.

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    Will try to get a pic over the weekend, but the ones in the post above show far better than I think my pics would the great work STS do! The way my case is finished looks just like this one.

I've recently picked up this gold version and love it. They wear so well...

Great post and a beautiful watch. It must be really satisfying getting a dead watch back up to that condition.

I really like those gold versions with the brown dials, so 70's.

I've never really seen one without any wear through the plating, yours looks terrific.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    I've recently picked up this gold version and love it. They wear so well...

Master
    Gold versions are really under appreciated watches, they wear so very well, much like the speedy MKII

This is what it's all about ! People with a passion keeping alive classic watches and getting a buzz out of doing it. Well done OP, it's a fantastic result.

Money is usually mentioned in these matters, and we have to bare in mind that it's MUCH cheaper to produce new things in batches than it is to restore a single item. If you can get the job done for less than the cost of a new watch, then that's a result in my book.

Glad to see this has prompted some very positive comments. And a very belated additional picture of my Speedsonic....

Master
    Looks superb, case work looks great

Master
    That looks great, cost and worth are not the same.

I'm new to this forum, but find myself enjoying the older watches more than the new,