closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: The PRS-17-D. Would you buy one?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I?d buy one.

19 55.88%
  • No, you must be joking. It?s an abomination.

10 29.41%
  • I don't know.

5 14.71%

Thread: The PRS-17-D

The PRS-17-D

Let's see how many people would be interested in actually buying this watch. Not like, but purchase. We can argue the possible sterility and other minor issues later.

I voted: Yes

john

Every watch a story.

Master
    Voted I dont know, mainly because of the case size of the 17C which I would like to be larger than it is at the moment.

But which case is this then?

This one I would buy for sure.

Picture stolen from GeoffD hope you don't mind.

Thomas

Master
    i voted yes, too.

is there a possibility to set up a "cash-register" or something for a small (25-50) edition,
    proofing the serious interest? i would be in.

frank

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

This one I would buy for sure.

Thomas
    Damn, you are confusing the issue now. :( :lol:

But you are right, the Mars case would be infinitely better. 8)

Let the show begin. :toothy1:

john
    Every watch a story.

I'd definitely buy it if somebody would make it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

If we could get enough interest going we could part finance it (or whatever) as ?a TZ-UK forum watch? and let others have it too. If Eddie is nice to us we can let him stock it too. :P

I can fully appreciate that the Mars version would be a more desirable piece but from where we are sitting, the PRS-17 elements are easier accessible. As you have noticed I have put this thread in the main forum as it includes everybody that might be interested. Let?s see how much interest we can manifest as the rest will be up to The Master.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    Eddie, you will get #1 for sure :thumbleft:

seriously, as i am not a watchmaker: would it be only necessary to print a
    new dial and turn the case to a lefty? or does the process hiding the subdials
    require any deeper changes to the movement?

cheers frank

It's just a case of inverting the case to make the watch at the top of the page, the Mars version needs a bot more work.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    I voted No - not for the reason given in the Poll :wink: but having a 17C, this does nothing for me. With a countdown bezel, I'd be tempted.

A 'no' vote from me. It's not an abomination, but I really don't see the point. :P

It would be a lot nicer if it wasn't a lefty, imho. I'm a "Don't know" because of that.

I'd definetly buy one - I really like the sterile dial and it being a 'lefty' is quite cool. Needs the date though.

Love it :D

Master
    I voted 'no' but I do quite like it. I'm happy with my 17Q 8)

I'd buy one like this though:

Cheers :)

I voted no. I like the design but not as a 'lefty'. :(

Rod

I voted yes - I would go for it.

Had a 17-C and although it got flipped it was a great watch.

That combined with the fact that this is almost certainly the closest I will ever get to an EZM-1 would mean this would get bought by me. 8)

Cheers

Gavin

yup i would buy one :D

i have a 17c which i like but feel its a little small. but i would jump on this if it was alittle bigger

The "Mission Timer" concept in the larger ("Mars" style) case was an just an idea I did when working out how large a case would be needed to visually cope with the extra depth of the staggered crown/pusher layout of the Dubois Depraz 2073 chrono module, as used in the "THAG", to create the possibility of perhaps a DN chrono in the EZM-1/Tutima Commando style, but Eddie says the 2073 movement is "unreasonably" expensive

After playing with it for a while, I agree that the overall look is better with a larger dial, but of course even with the existing 251.262 movement, a new case, hands and dial would make for a more expensive watch than the '17C. :roll:

Be nice though wouldn't it :twisted: perhaps with the option of a 12hr bezel?

Hmmmm........... Anyone got a good "full face" photo of a PRS-14 I can play with? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Voted I Don't Know (but I would) not to keen on the lefty design myself but I did like the PVD rendered version. The Mars case would be a definite yes and you could drop the date to make it easier.

i vote a resounding 'Yes' to the Mars version, 'No' to the one in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by walkuere
    Eddie, you will get #1 for sure :thumbleft:

seriously, as i am not a watchmaker: would it be only necessary to print a
    new dial and turn the case to a lefty? or does the process hiding the subdials
    require any deeper changes to the movement?

cheers frank
    Thanks for your email Frank. I will try cover it all here.

11 yeses! 11? Ok, if this is to proceed let?s say it will be about 15, the maximum 20.

1. Apart from the dial being turned around, also the axles of the 3 now useless motors will have to be removed or trimmed (depending on thickness) because in their current state they are actually poking through the dial.

2. Depending on the skill of the dial maker we have 3 options:

a. To strip the existing dial fill-in the 3 holes, make good, and paint. (I can foresee probs with matching the new lume to the hands.)

b. To utilise another complete dial like the one from the standard PRS-17Q (assuming the dial hole is large enough), the date aperture holes match, etc. Stripping and painting as above.

c. To make a completely new dial. Again assuming we can get the date holes to match.

From these three options No1 appears the most logical. Of course no matter which road we take ... the controls will be able to be had on the left or the right upon request. As it happens, I would prefer mine on the right (or left depending on the day).

Now the hard part. Who is going to do the work? Anyone who knows anyone? As it happens I know of two people who can do dials, one doesn?t do any other work and he has to have the dials out of the watches, and the other, I am not sure if he can do anything else, if need be I would try to find out.

My opinion is that London (UK) is probably the worse place to get anything done primarily because of the expense but let?s take things a step at a time. Let?s see if anyone has any contacts first and get some quotes.

I like a count ?up? 12H bezel as it allows you to use the watch like a 12H chronograph, one hour is just never enough, but I am open to debate.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    Looks like an interesting project!

I'll say yes (with the usual caveats on price, movements etc).

Don't really have any contacts that could help with this though so will have to rely on others. Moral support I can provide. :wink:

Cheers

Master
    shame there is not a "No" selection cause I don't think it an aboniation but don't like yellow... :?

Master
    I voted yes John. Sign me up for one.

John,

Would it be a case of getting a 17c and handing it over to get converted?

Quote Originally Posted by davie0146
    John,

Would it be a case of getting a 17c and handing it over to get converted?
    Ideally would be to have all the work done by one concern but we might have to break it into two parts between the assembler and the dial painter. But basically you've got the idea.

john
    Every watch a story.

cool

already got a 17C :D

As there appears to be interest ... and a pathway has seemed to have materialised (thanks Frank) ... at this point I am trying to get an ok from The Boss ... so, in the meantime try to decide if you want the hardware on the left or right, and the dial sterile or not.

I am allowing around 150 euro for the job and if it is less, then you will get it back, etc. Also try not to clog up the whole forum with this project, just stay within this thread.

john
    Every watch a story.

This project has been put on hold for the foreseeable future. Nothing negative has transpired ... just wait and see.

john
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman

Buy

I would buy one!

I hope the dail will be sterile.

and i would love it to be scratch resistand and that you can buy several
    bezels with the watch.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It's just a case of inverting the case to make the watch at the top of the page, the Mars version needs a bot more work.

Eddie
    You are forgetting the date window will be out of register with a lefty.

Left-handed watches require a left-handed date wheel. Or, you have to move the window up or down one-half it's height, which in this case would put it into the four or five luminous index.