closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about Torches

Master

Talk to me about Torches

My last torch of any note was a Maglight with an LED bulb, now sadly missing. So it needs to be replaced, and I keep hearing about CREE lights and how superior they are. The trouble is an almost bewildering array of choice and jargon!

A small amount of research lead me to Fenix and a website called Flashaholics which is less rude than it sounds. My dive torch is also broken so this seems to kill two birds with one stone:

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/fenix/...ing-light.html

It's quite pricey though and I imagine going for rechargeable batteries is the way to go? You'd need a charger too so basically £100 all in?

If anyone has any insights into the world of torches then please share!
    Ideally I'd like to spend less then £100 (nearer £50 would be nice) for a bright, durable torch that's not too bulky. If it's dive proof then all the better. No less than 40m please.

Thanks in advance ;-)

Ps Is 960 lumins going to blow me away with its power or it that middle of the range?

My Mrs bought some of these home from Poundland the other day.

Brilliant LED light. Lightweight and a pound each!

You can't argue.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Hmm, that's pretty amazing vfm but not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't imagine it has a depth rating for one!

I one of these on amazon about a year ago. I live in London so don't end up using it much but when I do it has been great (my mother bought a few for my dad and brothers who use them a lot more and they really like them too). It's a great size/brightness/price combination in my opinion. It seems to be out of stock at the moment but this seems to be the same thing just rebranded.

About the same time, I also bought one of these for the car. Wind up rather than battery, the reason I went for it was it just sits in the car boot and never gets used, so having something with a battery which is guaranteed to be run down by the time you want need to use it doesn't really work. Again size/brightness/price combination is very good, perfect for the car boot and very well designed.

(and by the way the top one is a Cree)
    Last edited by garmee; 12th October 2014 at 16:04.

You'll find plenty in your budget here:http://www.heinnie.com/lighting/flashlights
    Fenix and Surefire are two of the more desired brands, although my preference is for Led Lenser and Coast.

Get one of those lighthouse things from ALPKIT , they are only 17.50 delivered and perfectly adequate unless you are extremely worried about the size of your terry thomas.

Edit : this is the puppy.https://www.alpkit.com/products/trinity

Seems like they have gone up by 50p since I bought mine. Still good value though .
    Last edited by seikopath; 12th October 2014 at 17:14.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a led lenser t7.2 for exploring mines and etc. It's absolutely brilliant.
    Small and lightweight, 320 lumens and I've used it for a year now on the same set of batteries.

http://www.ledlenser.com/uk/flashlights/t7-2/

Journeyman
    This was my previous hobby that I've put on hold for a while. There are going to be loads of great torches in the £50-100 region. In order to find the right torch for you however, we've got to establish what the most important characteristics are for you.

In your post you stipulated you want a minimum of 40m dive resistance. Taking this as the overriding criteria, I think you're going to have major trouble finding a better option than the Fenix light which you've found. The vast majority of torches in your price bracket are only rated for around 2m of submersion for a short duration. This also rules out the vast majority of lights with non-twist switches as the water pressure will either switch the light off at depth, or potentially get past any seals on the switch itself and flood the light.

If you're willing to lose the high level of water resistance, then a world of options open back up to you. It's an unfortunate consequence of making a light capable of diving that they usually end up quite expensive. If you decide you'd rather forgo the depth resistance, think about what other criteria are important to you, and this will serve as a helpful guide for finding you the right torch.

Should you decide to go down the route of getting a rechargeable torch with li-ion batteries, let me know as I have a spare charger and some batteries for torches I no longer own to get you started a bit more inexpensively.

I have this ebay page saved, cheap enough to have a dabble I would have thought...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_od...torch&_sacat=0

Is the search function broken?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I use a led lenser t7.2 for exploring mines and etc. It's absolutely brilliant.
    Small and lightweight, 320 lumens and I've used it for a year now on the same set of batteries.

http://www.ledlenser.com/uk/flashlights/t7-2/

Led lenser great torches and not bad prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is the search function broken?
    Thanks, real helpful advice there.

And genuine thanks for the rather more useful replies so far, in particular EtherealShade. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to buy something multi functional and therefore dive proof. The other idea would be to buy a cheaper version such as Verv or Jason have mentioned and wait to buy a dive proof torch before my next holiday.
    As you say it cuts down the options considerably...

Just a observation, I don't go diving that often, but when I last went it was obvious on a night dive that a lot of people have upgraded to mega powerful Cree torches and I do wonder if it's detrimental to the sea life to have their habitat lit up like Christmas ... Ralphy might have an input on that?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Someone - on here I think - turned me on to ThruNight products... they are awesome.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just a observation, I don't go diving that often, but when I last went it was obvious on a night dive that a lot of people have upgraded to mega powerful Cree torches and I do wonder if it's detrimental to the sea life to have their habitat lit up like Christmas ... Ralphy might have an input on that?

Funnily enough it did cross my mind as well. Although I don't intend on using it on night dives, rather for illuminating dark shipwrecks or caves etc. I find night dives a bit weird if I'm honest!

Me too ! An acquired taste, fascinating seeing the different reef animals, we saw a amazing Spanish dancer once, and the Lion fish hunting in packs using your torchlights to hunt are very creepy!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I picked up a nice Cree from Lidls a few months ago - bargain at £8 I think
    Edit
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Cree

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Me too ! An acquired taste, fascinating seeing the different reef animals, we saw a amazing Spanish dancer once, and the Lion fish hunting in packs using your torchlights to hunt are very creepy!

My first night dive was on a shipwreck, and I must admit that it was a bit eerie. Also bizarre seeing huge parrotfish looking ghostly and dead whilst sleeping in every number of odd positions strewn across the wreck.

Lewie - it makes you wonder if spending £££ is really worth it? Obviously the tech has moved on hugely and a great torch can be had for buttons!

I got an LED Lenser 7.2 from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It's the best torch I've had. Incredibly bright and small too.

Master
    I would stick to the Fenix you linked to, they are a good brand and flashaholics is a good store. If you have any questions just pick up the phone and call Anthony who runs/owns it, he's a good guy.

Stick to good brand 18650 cells. DO NOT BUY ANY ULTRAFIRE BATTERIES. Or any brand with FIRE in the name from the far east. I won't bore you with the details, just take my word it's safer not to use those brands.

Then once you have your new set up you will start to look at other 18650 powered lights, that's when the trouble will really start...........

Master
    Be careful buying Led Lensers from Ebay and Amazon as there are a lot of fakes, some of them are very good fakes so you do need to be careful.

I've found Fenix to be excellent but perhaps overpriced - especially now new technologies and brands have entered the market
    Gray

Craftsman
    This is what I use for work now.
    I have had loads of torches over the years but for me this great and uses rechargeable Makita batteries.
    http://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita/BML185Z_L.jpg

Craftsman
    Other thing to think about witha dive torch is they are normally designed to be run under water, and heatsunk as such, so may run hot on the surface. Thrunite make some great everyday pocket torches at a good price.

Renowned for best bang for your money, with real WOW factor and a real, solid, professional performer is an SC-600 from Zebralight. I have been running one for 12 months and use it twice a day in the autumn and winter and for cycling all through the year. Check out some reviews, you won't be disappointed. 900 lumen out of a bulky torch will seem sort of OK, 900 out of a small torch will seem WOW.

The SD-10 does look pretty sharp, quite small by the look and by the battery it takes but don't be fooled, those 18650 batteries pack a lot of power.
    Last edited by catch21; 12th October 2014 at 23:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Renowned for best bang for your money, with real WOW factor and a real, solid, professional performer is an SC-600 from Zebralight. I have been running one for 12 months and use it twice a day in the autumn and winter and for cycling all through the year. Check out some reviews, you won't be disappointed. 900 lumen out of a bulky torch will seem sort of OK, 900 out of a small torch will seem WOW.
    Agree 100%, I have a MK1 SC-600 which for it's small size is a great performer. Took a bit of getting used to the user interface, but once you remember how it runs it's not an issue.

Once you switch to 18650s there are some fantastic lights out there.

Master
    I have had excellent results from Fenix flashlights. It was a brand I first heard of here in the G&D. It is extremely rugged and you can beat the snot out of it and it will continue to perform. I use it for work and they simply take a beating. I also like EagleTac I have these too. The difference between them is the Fenix doesn't seem to drain the battery as fast so the Fenix gets a +1 in this category.

Have bought several torches and batteries from these people http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/ The EagleTac titanium is a nice compact, bright and well made single 123 battery torch http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/eagl...mini-2270.html, for something stronger possibly the Jetbeam PC20 http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/jetbeam-pa20-858.html
    Last edited by Crispin; 13th October 2014 at 06:38.

Another option is the Xtar D06 XM-L2, 900 lumen dving torch. Bit cheaper than the Fenix SD10.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/xtar-pr...torch-kit.html

I received an email from Vente Privee over the weekend advertising a sale on LED Lenser torches; running until Thursday. Nominally the reductions look significant but I have no idea as to whether the RRP as advertised is realistic. I believe that you'll have to register to see the sale.

Putting aside the WR issue I looked into this question about a year ago and the advice was that for most people the LED Lenser P7 was all the torch you would ever need and it is a great torch. The reduced output option is really useful as full brightness is very bright !

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/profess...320-lumen.html

Another thing to consider is how much you will use it as it seems the choice is down to AA or CR-123 batteries. I guess the CRs are better but you have to mail order them rather than buy from the corner shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    ...Another thing to consider is how much you will use it as it seems the choice is down to AA or CR-123 batteries. I guess the CRs are better but you have to mail order them rather than buy from the corner shop.
    Broaden your horizons...

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    ...Then once you have your new set up you will start to look at other 18650 powered lights, that's when the trouble will really start...........
    I am a convert to 18650 Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries. They hold a charge and have a useful capacity. The only thing to watch is that, once depleted, they expire quite quickly. So one minute your torch is bright, the next (generally after a few flickers etc) it's flat. The way round that being a problem is to rotate the batteries before they run flat. There's no 'memory effect' to worry about so you can simply top them up when needed. Half-charged is probably the best way to store them.

Master
    I may upset a few here, I don't rate LED Lenser . They are the first LED torch that most people find and buy due to their product marketing and their route to market. Not sure how much they have changed but they never used to have a regulated output. So with new batteries they would be super bright, but as the voltage drops off so would the output.

Brands like Fenix spend much time and money designing electronics to give a good flat regulated output, always the same output until the battery is flat.

The Sipik SK68 is a great little performer for the money. AA and 14500 rechargeable batteries.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/1078

I have a Snap On Coast A25r torch, this is easily the brightest torch i have seen,

I couldn't find the snap on link, but did find the coast one

http://www.coastportland.com/gb/a25r...flashlight.htm

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I have a Snap On Coast A25r torch, this is easily the brightest torch i have seen,

I couldn't find the snap on link, but did find the coast one

http://www.coastportland.com/gb/a25r...flashlight.htm
    I think that one's a bit over budget for the OP's needs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I think that one's a bit over budget for the OP's needs.
    Just found this one on Amazon, it seems to be over £200!

Thanks all for the advice, I'm still tempted by the Fenix and standard batteries. Then upgrading it to rechargeable at some point. It just makes more sense to buy a quality torch that I can also dive with.

I shall let you know my thoughts on whatever I go for....

Master
    You do understand that this is just your first LED torch, there will be more to come.

You'll need a head torch for hands free working, a large diameter torch for lots of throw (distance) to impress friends with, a nano size torch to go on you keys, something in a nice metal, say copper or Ti, and then..............

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Just found this one on Amazon, it seems to be over £200!

Thanks all for the advice, I'm still tempted by the Fenix and standard batteries. Then upgrading it to rechargeable at some point. It just makes more sense to buy a quality torch that I can also dive with.

I shall let you know my thoughts on whatever I go for....

I got a bit of discount, I paid just over 100 six months ago

The battery one and a box of Duracells seems a bit of a bargain in comparison http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-A25-LE...M6A78WX1AG831W
    Last edited by adrianw; 14th October 2014 at 07:52.

Master
    Ordered the Fenix SD10 today as it seemed the best option, and as it turns out Flashaholics is based just 15mins down the road!
    I also asked nicely and was pleased to receive a small discount (code for website) so well done them.

We'll see how quickly they deliver and I'll post some comparison shot’s of the brightness if anyone is interested.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Ordered the Fenix SD10 today as it seemed the best option, and as it turns out Flashaholics is based just 15mins down the road!
    I also asked nicely and was pleased to receive a small discount (code for website) so well done them.

We'll see how quickly they deliver and I'll post some comparison shot’s of the brightness if anyone is interested.
    Normally arrives the next day.

I did say he was a good chap to buy from.

I'll tell you how good a guy he is. On another forum I use we had a meet up in London. On hearing about the meeting Anthony offered very expensive torch to be raffled off to raise money for save the children fund. Over £200 raised ! Top man.

Craftsman
    I bought one of these, from here: http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Fenix_...LED_Torch.html Is very bright, reasonable price and good burn time on ordinary AA type batteries.

I use it on my helmet when riding my bike in the winter.

ok then..

what do you Guys recommend for a super powerful torch but in a hand held size. Something with tactical strobe back button and a good protected lens?
    Cost is not a worry, just want the best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    what do you Guys recommend for a super powerful torch but in a hand held size. Something with tactical strobe back button and a good protected lens?
    I'd call Flashaholics and ask to speak to Anthony. There was no hard sell when I did, just helpful advice.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/

Considering it's just a torch I'm quite excited by the thought of mine incoming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    What do you wish to use the strobe for? I look for torches without it !

Master
    I'm also after expanding my torch collection, I need another headlight but I require a focusable beam to go between spot and flood and somewhere inbetween, a decent light output and a reasonable battery life.
    I have a few Led Lensers so rather than just buy another I fancy a change, I've not had any issues with the Led Lensers just fancy a change.

Led lenser p7
    End of story

i do like a good torch!

I've had/have a fair few torches, Maglites are always a cheap and cheerful solution and i bought everyone Solitaire LEDs last Christmas as an EDC torch (since its far more practical than using an Iphone) and they have a decent output for the size, although for a bit more cash the Fenix E99 punts out 5 times the light apparently (i'll probably buy one at some point, as a fun little gadget)

I also have varying sizes of maglites up to the D-cell bad-boy but they haven't been used in years. Mainly due to the old tech xenon bulbs, and i've not really found a decent upgrade for any of them.

In the middle of the road there's LED Lenser, i've got a couple of them but, the Hokus Fokus is quite handy since it can be a flood or a spot. My only gripe with them is their not mod friendly, so not much in the way of upgrades, and the odd tube diameter so it doesn't go in 1" flashlight mounts.

Surefire's are good shout since they're modular and upgraded drop-ins are availiable everywhere (admittedly with varying quality), or if you don't want to pay Surefire prices, Solarforce make decent clones with similar threading for remote tape switches, filters etc, as well as compatible drop-ins. (similar price as the LED Lenser)

I've got a couple of Surefire 6P's running Cree XML-U2's & packed with copper tape to help heat dispersion, one is custom bored to accept a 18600 battery, which is good enough but i find it runs brighter for longer on primary's so i bought a bulk load of CR123's just in case the zombie apocalypse hits.
    In real world terms they're pretty damn bright and light up a campsite like a car's headlight, as well as being a good for chagrin up some lume, only bad point is i dislike multi-mode drop-ins so they can burn through a set of batteries in an hour :S

Surefire G2, is a bit better in the wet for grip than the 6P, but the nitrolon doesn't dissipate heat well so not a good idea to run mega lumen led's, the stock LED's units in them are good enough.

Surefire Saint (head-torch), thats a cool bit of kit infinitely variable intensity, so i tend to use it as a work light when i'm doing fiddly stuff.

a few of some of my collection, lol, because I really need more than one torch :D

of course there is always.... the Nitecore TM26

On my keyring: Fenix LD01
    On my belt / in the glovebox: Nitecore EA4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Normally arrives the next day.

I did say he was a good chap to buy from.

I'll tell you how good a guy he is. On another forum I use we had a meet up in London. On hearing about the meeting Anthony offered very expensive torch to be raffled off to raise money for save the children fund. Over £200 raised ! Top man.
    Just got in, and sure enough it's been delivered. Pretty impressive service (next day) I've only had a very quick play with it but WOW! it's an impressive bit of kit. The power for such a small torch is incredible. It's too late for any comparisons but I'll give it a go tomorrow if I get the chance.

Endo, looks like another expensive hobby!