closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Things you hate on a watch

Quote Originally Posted by JakubL View Post
    NATO or RubberB on Rolexes

Yes eat me
    I rather like the choice of a NATO on some Rolexes - it suggests to me the owner is wearing it because it is a damn fine piece of engineering rather than because it is a Rolex ;)

Master
    'Tool' watches
    Oversize cases
    NATO straps
    PVD finishes
    Crown guards a la Panerai
    Tapered bracelets
    Most chrono dials
    Gold
    Odd shaped cases
    Minimalist dials
    Busy dials
    Long hands
    Faux vintage dials or bezel inserts
    Bling
    Overly shiny cases
    Anything but bracelets or decent leather on a diver

Probably lots more besides.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I rather like the choice of a NATO on some Rolexes - it suggests to me the owner is wearing it because it is a damn fine piece of engineering rather than because it is a Rolex ;)
    The thing is I never liked matching something that is not original and in comparison very cheap with something worth thousands of GBP (or any other currency), I also never liked aesthetics of it. Rolex models such as submariner,deepsea,explorer,gmt-master is must to be on bracelet for me.

Craftsman
    Clutter..... I know everyone "should" have a chrono for a balanced collection but struggling to find a nice one.

Craftsman
    add ons by the marketing department, namely 007 tacked onto the end of the second hand on the Quantum of Solace Omega Planet Ocean. To me that's just all wrong. Couldn't wear a watch with the word tachymetre on it either

Moon phase displays.
    Who really uses them ?
    Last edited by Joyce; 7th October 2014 at 17:46.

Craftsman
    Gemstones on the dial, non functioning day-date (not a fan of these even working). I don't like digital bits or even complications/chronographs. Also loose bezels.

any dial with some celebrity signature or football club logo on it. just plain ugly.

Razor sharp riders on the bezel get a vote from me. They easily wreck a work shirt. My ti Chrono Avenger is a good example - love the watch but gets expensive on work shirts so usually limited to a weekend wear.

Oh, and pretty much any yellow or red gold. Just looks to "in your face, look what I can afford..."

I really don't like the manual helium escape valves, particularly that of Omega despite owning a 2254. Just a big wart on an otherwise attractive case.

-Day/Date Window
    -Date Window at 6
    -Cyclops
    -Gold
    -Cut off Numeral

Blog Entries
    Onion crown and cyclops.

Master
    I've not read the whole thread but has anyone posted a dislike to square watches.

I like square digital but not analogue.

Digital should be square....Analogue round. Simple
    Last edited by oiljam; 8th October 2014 at 15:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Clutter..... I know everyone "should" have a chrono for a balanced collection but struggling to find a nice one.
    Take a look at the IWC Portuguese Chrono range. If I could afford one, that's the chrono I would have.

Rob

Master
    One thing I really don't like is oversized crowns of any style because not only do they dig into your wrist, they imbalance the watch itself. The 'canteen style' is particularly laughable. I also dislike oversized pushers on chrono watches. Some manufacturers, such as Seiko, tend to make their pusher design smaller and more aesthetically pleasing.

Rob

I've just realised you can add a curved day window at 12 o'clock to my list

I can't say I'm a fan of Onion crowns, but if it was the only issue, I suspect I could live with one.

>> Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    >> Watches worn on the right wrist. There can't be that many lefties out there.

I'm left handed and wouldn't DREAM of wearing my watch on the right (I had a phase of doing it when I dived, but now I wear it and my computer on my right arm).

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 10th October 2014 at 11:46.

bezels that don't move.

Apprentice
    The word 'Sport' or 'Sports'

Master
    Power reserves and a day (unless it's a curved full day)

Tachy bezel... completely unnecessary in this age.

Master
    Having a big 5 on the dial. Anyone guess what I am talking about?

I can see past most things that annoy other people, but the one thing I can't have is a date window that is 'somewhere' but not exactly between 4 and 5. I've never understood why this should be. I can understand why the date wheel might be closer to the centre of the dial as a result of using a movement that's a bit too small for the dial, but I just don't get why it needs to be misaligned between between indices?

Look at this for an example:-

http://www.benaruswatches.com/bronze42.php

I tell ya, I'm not havin' it!

It looks like the guy who designed it tried to get the date window exactly between 4 and 5, but was a bit sloppy with the mouse that day... Dials came back from the fabricator, he's spotted this now glaring error, and he's said to himself, "Well that looks sh*t, but I'll have to use them now... Hopefully no one will notice..."

Why?

Gary

Some absolute dealbreakers:

-Too short hands
    -Date aperture anywhere but 3, 6, 9 or 12
    -Date without quickset function
    -Full day at 12
    -Cyclops

Plenty already mentioned that I don't get on with, however I'll add having either "Limited Edition" and/or "No. X of Y" on the dial.

Many a decent watch has been ruined by such cheap and tacky inscription.

Muesli. Especially if its not my own.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I think I'm fairly tolerant of most of the idiosyncrasies mentioned but the one thing I cannot stand, the one thing that drives me nuts is the seconds hand of a Quartz watch.

Tic. Tic. Tic. It's diabolical - a form of Chinese water torture!

It's not that I'm a mechanical fundamentalist, I love my f300 hummer with a seconds hand which glides gracefully across the dial - the way it should.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Multiple date window
    Yes that!

Many of the points mentioned, but also too much, or too obvious text on the dial - do we really need 'Automatic' or 'Quartz' written on the dial?

Roman numerals
    Diver bezels
    Ana-digi displays
    Power reserve indicators (chapter ring ones excepted)
    Wire lugs
    Florid, curly script

Master
    The very worst thing is usually...............................the price ticket!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Take a look at the IWC Portuguese Chrono range. If I could afford one, that's the chrono I would have.

Rob
    Wow - thanks Barry boy. Now - that is just about perfect. What a beauty:

(not my photo)

Another watch to add to the list of watches I love but can't afford That certainly manages to incorporate all the elements needed in a chrono but without the cramped and cluttered dial. Thanks for the recommendation!

Another watch to add to the list of watches I love but can't afford That certainly manages to incorporate all the elements needed in a chrono but without the cramped and cluttered dial. Thanks for the recommendation!
    If you want a less expensive alternative, how about Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope?

Pics courtesy of Google image search.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It's funny how preferences vary.

I'm left handed and I can still remember being given my first watch in circa 1978. I instinctively went to put it on my right wrist and those with me (father and shop assistant, I think) said "it's goes on your left wrist". I tried it on my left wrist but it just felt utterly wrong. The only place it felt right was on my right wrist.
    Same here.
    Watch on left wrist just feels all wrong.

(not my photo)

My pet hate with chronos. All that dial space and the chrono registers are slapped all over the 12 and 6. Awful design

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    My pet hate with chronos. All that dial space and the chrono registers are slapped all over the 12 and 6. Awful design
    What would you recommend then bedlam?

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    God we're a fussy lot! :)
    What interests me is not the prevalence of the usual suspects (cyclops, busy dials, oversized watches, and so on) but the number of things which one person hates and no-one else seems to mind (perpetual calendars, panda dials, mesh bracelets). Are you a herd follower or a special snowflake? Check yourself against this exclusive fold-out chart.
    For a bit of extra credit, can you come up with a watch which most embodies all TZers' pet hates? I'd say a two-tone Rolex Day-Date with romans would have to be up there...

Craftsman
    - PVD
    - Skeleton dials
    - Analog/digital display
    - Rubber

1. Tiny movements in gigantic cases, so the date feature is halfway up the dial or if a chrono all the sub dials are crushed up into the middle.

2. Display backs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Price tags.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    What interests me is not the prevalence of the usual suspects (cyclops, busy dials, oversized watches, and so on) but the number of things which one person hates and no-one else seems to mind (perpetual calendars, panda dials, mesh bracelets). Are you a herd follower or a special snowflake? Check yourself against this exclusive fold-out chart.
    [cool graph redacted]
    Nice graph! As it happens I know that the "'ChrWard' branding" item is under-represented compared to its real level of support (or should that be 'anti-support'). I should be added to the list for that item and I know there are several others here who feel the same.

I guess if you don't vote you don't count. The silent majority is real and err.. silent. ;-)

Master
    Numerals for hour markers. I can live with 3, 6, 9 & 12 e.g. Panerai and my Breitling Aerospace. However, Pilot's watches leave me stone cold.

When you just cant quite get the bracelet sized right!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    But that pet hate, when addressed, would cause another pet hate when someone complains that ramming the subdials right into the centre to clear the 12 and 6 makes the watch look like a cheap fashion watch with a low-cost Chinese quartz chrono movement.

Of course, you could always leave the subdials where they are (their centres are defined by the movement and not easy to change) and make the case 50mm large. But, same problem.

Best thing, buy a different kind of watch. It's wonderful how you can do that ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    But that pet hate, when addressed, would cause another pet hate when someone complains that ramming the subdials right into the centre to clear the 12 and 6 makes the watch look like a cheap fashion watch with a low-cost Chinese quartz chrono movement.

Of course, you could always leave the subdials where they are (their centres are defined by the movement and not easy to change) and make the case 50mm large. But, same problem.

Best thing, buy a different kind of watch. It's wonderful how you can do that ;).
    The Junghans above my post seems to manage quite well.

Blog Entries
    Things you hate on a watch...

In some people's cases I suspect it is not having something to complain about.

Plaques on the side of the watch. Doxa and Blancpain come to mind. Awful.

Paul

I can't resist a bar chart:
    Display Backs - I'm happy just to know.
    Screw down crowns - The bane of dysfunctional intermittent wearers.
    'Sharp' case edges - A watch needs to feel good when I pick it up in the morning.
    All Colours of Bullshit - But blood, sweat and tears are fine.

Master
    70s looking watches that make you look as though you should be in slade especially the hideous pp nautilus efforts

24hr numerals on a 12hr dial