closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a decent VPN provider?

Recommend a decent VPN provider?

Signed up for PureVPN this morning but it was woeful, connection speeds are horrendous!

Cheers

Blog Entries
    vpntunnel.se seems ok

Master
    I too have been meaning to ask the very same question, having said that this afternoon I stumbled across VPNCompare.co.uk which may be of some use to you; I've found it quite helpful.

VyprVPN seem to come out on top for my specific needs, might have a dabble with one of their free trials later on when mini MST AKA the two foot tornado is safely tucked up in bed

If you use the Chrome browser, how about ZenMate?
    Free and no discernible performance hit for me (not that I've done any technical testing).

ibVPN works very well (certainly for watching the BBC!). You can choose the scope of countries and regions and pay monthly (5 USD per month) by Paypal or take longer payment commitments for a reduced price.

Master
    I have used hma.com for the past two years. Worked really well in conjunction with a good broadband connection. They have servers all over the world and I regularly connect back to the UK and US.

By the way hma stands for 'hide my ass' ! Dodgy name but good product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    By the way hma stands for 'hide my ass' ! Dodgy name but good product.
    Which, by the way, they definitely will not do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Why do you say that Mark?

I work in Nigeria and some sites will not let me have access from here but certainly do when i connect through HMA.

Steve

Master
    How do you mean?

I use the Hola VPN app on my iOS devices, it's awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Why do you say that Mark?

I work in Nigeria and some sites will not let me have access from here but certainly do when i connect through HMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    How do you mean?
    I'm sure that HMA works fine as a VPN in that it hides your local IP address but the company is UK (I think) registered which means that they are required to keep logs which they can and do divulge to state authorities. This means that if you really do want to hide your ass they are not a suitable service. In comparison, there are other VPN providers in other jurisdictions which do not retain logs (although these may of course be snooped on, to varying levels of thoroughness, by other legal or illegal means by various state agencies).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 19th October 2014 at 22:41.

Master
    I'm sure that HMA works fine as a VPN in that it hides your local IP address but the company is UK (I think) registered which means that they are required to keep logs which they can and do divulge to state authorities. This means that if you really do want to hide your ass they are not a suitable service. In comparison, there are other VPN providers in other jurisdictions which do not retain logs (although these may of course be snooped on, to varyinh levels of thoroughness, by other legal or illegal means by various state agencies).
    Ok i understand where you are coming from. HMA are an American company but i presume they will be liable to the same requirement to provide info if requested?

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    HMA are an American company but i presume they will be liable to the same requirement to provide info if requested?
    Oh yes.

Master
    I use VyprVPN - tried a couple but the VyprVPN app ( especially on iOX ) won it for me - it's very good. It has a setting which kills all internet traffic if the VPN disconnects, which to my mind is a basic requirement.

They only have one server in the UK at the moment though, so if it's purely for iPlayer from abroad it may not be your best bet. Having said that they seem to be adding servers all the time so I'm sure more in the UK won't be long.

N

Craftsman
    Vypr is OK. In general, the higher cost = better quality.

In practical terms, a VPN will never offer a perfect performance record. You do have a box in the middle, touching your packets (lol), and it will show.

morgan

Have a look at Cyberghost.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Have a look at Cyberghost.

Eddie
    NICE! They do bitcoin as well!

Anyone ever found a VPN that can sustain 50mbit plus speeds? I can't! Maybe it just here in Denmark.

morgan

Master
    I have not found any service that can, and given the way it works i would be surprised if it could. Per below i am using HMA.com with YouSee 50mbit service. However we only get mid to high 20's at home in central CPH without VPN on. Have not tested with VPN on but we are able to watch Uk and US programs on a 55" screen through a HDMI cable from the laptop with very good picture. So more than good enough for that.

If there is a better service that could keep speeds up I would be interested to have a look/test.

Edit : just tested with and without VPN. Without now only getting 15mbs download (peak time effecting that i guess? Or i have to chase YouSee to turn the speed back up again....) with VPN on getting around 4mbps. So quite an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by morgandk View Post
    NICE! They do bitcoin as well!

Anyone ever found a VPN that can sustain 50mbit plus speeds? I can't! Maybe it just here in Denmark.

morgan
    Last edited by JP28; 20th October 2014 at 19:40.

Journeyman
    I use Cyberghost, something like £12 for the premium package for a year during one of their special offers. Speeds are good enough for what I want and I had been using the free service before. Free was OK but could get flaky at peak times.

If your thinking of signing up long term to a VPN service, its worth keeping an eye out for deals during the upcoming thanksgiving/black friday period.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    I have not found any service that can, and given the way it works i would be surprised if it could. Per below i am using HMA.com with YouSee 50mbit service. However we only get mid to high 20's at home in central CPH without VPN on. Have not tested with VPN on but we are able to watch Uk and US programs on a 55" screen through a HDMI cable from the laptop with very good picture. So more than good enough for that.

If there is a better service that could keep speeds up I would be interested to have a look/test.

Edit : just tested with and without VPN. Without now only getting 15mbs download (peak time effecting that i guess? Or i have to chase YouSee to turn the speed back up again....) with VPN on getting around 4mbps. So quite an impact.
    Yeah, 4mbit with VPN service is horrendous.

Im running on a TDC Fibre (corporate) in my home office. It's capable of 1000mbit but i'm currently using a 100mbit plan. I'm getting 80-90mbit/s on my wifi and ping times of less than 3 ms. Problem is that most VPN services are crap at those speeds. :-(

Morgan

I asked this question a couple of years ago on this forum as I tavel a great deal and wanted to be able to use the various UK catch up TV apps and view the BBC website as I would at home i.e. watch video. Having tried many free options that were all useless I went with Strong VPN which has been fine and reliable. I think it's about $30 a year. I can't tell you if it's better or worse than others as Strong VPN is the only paid one I've tried.