closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boutique shops - my thoughts/feelings

Journeyman

Boutique shops - my thoughts/feelings

So ive been in Dubai for a few days and there are all the obvious brands as you would expect. So I intended on just ruling a few watches in and out of my new purchase thoughts....but I bottled it...no sniggering please!

Between the chaps on the door and looks you get from the sales folk ( you sure you can afford our watches?) Just felt really imtidated.

Im not sure if its the location maybe as I dont think I would have the issue at home and I havent had the issue in KSA either.

If your in the high end places whats the etiquette is it ok to try, do I come clean and state im in the market but not sure what im after.?

Any tips please greatly received please or do I just grow some ??

Craftsman
    It doesn't matter if you can afford to buy the watches or not. The people in those stores are shop assistants, they might be selling posh products but they have exactly the same job as a shop assistant in a Timex outlet, Tesco or any other shop. Nothing wrong with that at all but it doesn't give people the right to be snooty.

A good shop won't care if you have the money to purchase there and then or not. But they will have such pride and confidence in the product and their service they will be happy to show them off, in the knowledge that if and when you can afford one of their products, be it Tesco's beans or Blancpain, it's there you will spend your money.

Don't see why you can't try or ask for advice. If you don't get the level of service you expect then take your money elsewhere. I did have an experience in a reasonably high end store a few years ago where a sales assistant approached me as I was looking at a handbag for my wife and said in a snooty voice "are you aware that this product is not included in our sale event today?" and pointed me in the direction of cheaper brands. Needless to say I bought exactly the same bag elsewhere and fired a letter off to head office. I didn't get a response but haven't been back since.
    I honestly believe that you get better customer service in shops like Marks & Spencer than you get in high end boutiques which just seems crazy.

Craftsman
    In general, the nicer the store - the better the service - no matterhow you dress.

That said, shorts and flip flops always get better service when wearing my 3970 :-)

M

Journeyman
    Thanks for the feedback!

Thought it would be me probably suffering from Dubai envy

Next time ill man up and just ask to try stuff on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andykb675 View Post
    Im not sure if its the location maybe as I dont think I would have the issue at home and I havent had the issue in KSA either.
    The problem with KSA is getting back out the shop!!. I had the same issue with Dubai, but the only boutique's i felt very comfortable in was Tag and Zenith.

Is this in the Dubai Mall? I've been round there very recently and attitudes differ hugely from shop to shop. My favourite was definitely the Glashutte Original boutique: even though the salesman (the fatter, older chap) knew I couldn't afford one of his watches he was a complete WIS and we yabbered on about all sorts for 30-40 minutes.
    The Patek shop however made me feel like the scum I am. I didn't think that watch I tried on was worth £40K anyway...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Is this in the Dubai Mall? I've been round there very recently and attitudes differ hugely from shop to shop. My favourite was definitely the Glashutte Original boutique: even though the salesman (the fatter, older chap) knew I couldn't afford one of his watches he was a complete WIS and we yabbered on about all sorts for 30-40 minutes.
    The Patek shop however made me feel like the scum I am. I didn't think that watch I tried on was worth £40K anyway...
    Yeah it was Dubai Mall i didnt get to see much of it....after all its the biggest in the world...but the entrance we used i was met with Rolex, Cartier, IWC, Barry Winston??(new one on me) and Panerai...stumbled across Tag as well but it will take a serious shopper days to get around that place so im sure ive missed loads of other would have liked to have found Omega just for reference and future visits

The time we went IWC had nothing in the window at all other than display cases so didnt consider Rolex(just dont get them) Panerai boutique has my drool all and greasy face print all over the windows and i was jumping around like my son in Game or daughter in the Apple shop....maybe this is why i got funny looks...perverbial window licker!!

If I'm honest I get that vibe on Bond Street - anywhere that has security on the door, I will have a look in the window but wouldn't go in unless I wanted something very specific, I would feel like the timewaster that I would be. I completely understand why they have security, but I'm not interested in gaining entry that way for a browse.

For me browsing is better done at Harrods or Selfridges where you can just potter around and see a lot - and I'm looking forward to the WOS on Regent St.

Oddly, whilst peering through the window of VC on Old Bond Street, the security guard starting telling me about the watches. He literally knew nothing and was just making it up, very bizarre!

Barry Winston??(new one on me)
    Lol! Must be Harry's brother

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Ah, got him now

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ah, got him now

keep'em coming im here all week !

Craftsman
    When I left school in 1990 my first job was as a sales assistant in a shop that sold designer suits. Nothing extravagant by London standards but in an average mill town like Bolton a shop selling the likes of Ermenegildo Zengna, Armani and Cerrutti suits at upto a grand ( this was nearly 25 years ago) was quite a big deal and by far the most high end shop in the area other than the big names in Manchester.
    Honestly, some of the people that bought those suits when they walked in you wouldn't believe they could afford a suit of any sort. You really couldn't judge the men at all. Weirdly, the women were much more straight forward, the ones who looked like they had money to burn usually did.
    I'm sure it's still like this now with high end products and I think it would be a very poor sales person that made assumptions just going by the way someone was dressed.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    When I left school in 1990 my first job was as a sales assistant in a shop that sold designer suits. Nothing extravagant by London standards but in an average mill town like Bolton a shop selling the likes of Ermenegildo Zengna, Armani and Cerrutti suits at upto a grand ( this was nearly 25 years ago) was quite a big deal and by far the most high end shop in the area other than the big names in Manchester.
    Honestly, some of the people that bought those suits when they walked in you wouldn't believe they could afford a suit of any sort. You really couldn't judge the men at all. Weirdly, the women were much more straight forward, the ones who looked like they had money to burn usually did.
    I'm sure it's still like this now with high end products and I think it would be a very poor sales person that made assumptions just going by the way someone was dressed.
    Bolton my home town... Are you still there?

Craftsman
    Bolton my home town... Are you still there?
    Yeah.
    Personally I think Chorley is a much better bet.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by morgandk View Post
    In general, the nicer the store - the better the service - no matterhow you dress.

That said, shorts and flip flops always get better service when wearing my 3970 :-)

M
    I've no idea what a 3,970 is, I'd but I've found most "boutiques" are Godawful RAV ghettos, or if in the Middle East, oil engineers on a weekend off wearing the strict, unvarying, regulation uniform of shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I've no idea what a 3,970 is, I'd but I've found most "boutiques" are Godawful RAV ghettos, or if in the Middle East, oil engineers on a weekend off wearing the strict, unvarying, regulation uniform of shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops!
    I guess he meant this?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Burgher View Post
    I guess he meant this?
    Yup. I did.

I was out shopping with a good friend of mine back in 2005 before the markets took a nose dive. He was literally barefoot, shorts and a tank-top - and walked out of a
    store with a 350.000,- dollar watch. So yeah, you just never know.

Personally, it's my absolute favourite hobby to dress as poorly as possible when I go nice places. Its always fun to keep them guessing.

morgan

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Last time I was in Corinthia in London, I was sitting in the lobby bar next to two middle eastern gentlemen. Both wearing flip-flops and some variation of adidas pants. One guy was wearing a pavé Harry Winston watch of sorts and the other was wearing what looked like a vintage 3974 repeater. I later talked to my buddy at reception and he mentioned that the Royal family from Qatar had grabbed 110 rooms and was staying for a few months. ;-)

M

I've had a similar experience with snooty sales staff in a high end clothing store. I felt uncomfortable at first, but then it struck me, 'they' work there, I can afford to shop there, childish I know, but made me feel better.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    I've had a similar experience with snooty sales staff in a high end clothing store. I felt uncomfortable at first, but then it struck me, 'they' work there, I can afford to shop there, childish I know, but made me feel better.
    Its a bit more predominant in clothing / luxury leather goods etc. In general watches, real estate, cars, etc, require more of the personell, and typically they make a decent living at it.

morgan

Craftsman
    I think I know the shop...was it near the Pack Horse?

Craftsman
    A while ago I knew someone who worked at Bentley Motors long before they introduced the Continental GT and they did some training at one of their prestigious London dealerships and the staff their were trained to spot money. The two things that they look for...

Watch and shoes...

The opening line "And what car do you drive currently sir?"

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow986 View Post
    I think I know the shop...was it near the Pack Horse?
    can't remember the damm name if the place..just up from 'ye olde pastie shoppe'

Craftsman
    can't remember the damm name if the place..just up from 'ye olde pastie shoppe'
    I thought you meant Wardrobe but it could be Norton Barrie ?

Boutiques Shops... (watches)

Perfect for new models unveiling events, window shopping and free lattes......

Journeyman
    Norton barrie was on.deansgate

Craftsman
    I thought you meant Wardrobe but it could be Norton Barrie ?
    the shop I used to work in was wardrobe on bradshawgate.
    Norton Barrie was further up the road on the other side. I think it's in the market place now. Wardrobe is long gone. The guy who owned it died years ago.

Craftsman
    the shop I used to work in was wardrobe on bradshawgate.
    Norton Barrie was further up the road on the other side. I think it's in the market place now. Wardrobe is long gone. The guy who owned it died years ago.
    Yes I remember wardrobe on bradshawgate

Is the shop still there . Whats it called? I dont think there is anywhere in Manchester where one can buy a Zegna suit.

try a "Mike Tyson" - dress up, get a few female chums to pretend to be your "hoes" - breeze
    into Dubai shopping mall, select your pieces.................leave an i.o.u........real class! Allegedly!

Master
    A while ago I knew someone who worked at Bentley Motors long before they introduced the Continental GT and they did some training at one of their prestigious London dealerships and the staff their were trained to spot money. The two things that they look for...

Watch and shoes...

The opening line "And what car do you drive currently sir?"
    One of the wealthiest people I have met wore knackered old shoes and no watch the first time we met. To answer the question of what car he drives, he would no doubt mention his Land Rover - a class-irrelevant brand if ever there was one.

There is always an exception to the rule but sometimes you cannot tell.

My view is simple regardless of whether I can afford something. Manners cost nothing.

Manners maketh man........some north London schools motto...not bad!

What are the chances of these shop assistants affording such items??