closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega or Tudor

Omega or Tudor

I'm in the process of selling off my 'budget' watches to raise funds for one watch. I was thinking a Tudor Black Bay. However, Goldsmiths have a black faced 38.5mm Omega Aqua Terra on a black leather strap down by 20% to about £2700. Through work I can get another 15% off this, so about £2300 vs list price £3400. I like both watches but the Omega seems a great deal and I prefer watches to be around 39-40mm on my smallish wrists. Can you normally get discounts like this on Omegas or is this really a great deal?

Banned
    If you can get the deal for the Omega on the Bracelet, then that would be my choice.

I can get 15% off list only for the bracelet version as its not in the sale. That makes it more than I have approval to spend!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I'm in the process of selling off my 'budget' watches to raise funds for one watch. I was thinking a Tudor Black Bay. However, Goldsmiths have a black faced 38.5mm Omega Aqua Terra on a black leather strap down by 20% to about £2700. Through work I can get another 15% off this, so about £2300 vs list price £3400. I like both watches but the Omega seems a great deal and I prefer watches to be around 39-40mm on my smallish wrists. Can you normally get discounts like this on Omegas or is this really a great deal?
    Omega discounts from chains (and obviously grey dealers) are routine but they are going down the price-protected, fragrant boutique road a la Rolex, Panerai etc. Personally because of its slightly smaller size and date function, I'd probably take the Omega. Your Tudor price comparison is with the BB featuring a bracelet, which might be a factor.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    I can get 15% off list only for the bracelet version as its not in the sale. That makes it more than I have approval to spend!
    Don't worry about things like approval, you can always beg for forgiveness later.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Don't worry about things like approval, you can always beg for forgiveness later.

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Journeyman

Tudor or omega

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!
    Can now buy Tudor black from iconic watches at 30 per cent reduction so down to about £1890 not a bad price makes the second hand on sc seem quite expensive

Journeyman
    Both nice watches, I think the Omega will hold value better than Tudor if that's any help.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    Can now buy Tudor black from iconic watches at 30 per cent reduction so down to about £1890 not a bad price makes the second hand on sc seem quite expensive
    Is it 30%? Isn't the list price £2330 for the bracelet version.

Quote Originally Posted by ayton1 View Post
    Both nice watches, I think the Omega will hold value better than Tudor if that's any help.
    Good point, especially if I get a big discount. Still £400 difference between them after available discounts so not trivial. Its probably a bit of head vs heart. I love to have things slightly non-mainstream and the Tudor does that plus I think it looks stunning, more so than the Omega. Omega is more mainstream/safe but it is more watch for the money though once you start considering the movement. Will have another good look at them both tomorrow. I haven't even come close to deciding whether I would get the blue or red BB (again, heart says red, head says blue!).

I'd always choose Omega.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    I'd always choose Omega.
    Me too! I love the Aqua Terra and was very close to purchasing one last weekend. The only reason I didn't is the similarity to my Seamaster 120m, it's predecessor, which was a present from my wife and is a definite keeper. Doesn't stop me loving the AT though!

Banned
    Omega

I'm spotting a trend!

Craftsman
    Neither. For the money i'd go vintage Tudor. It'll go up in price. A nice Submariner Ref 79090can be had for less than 2500 euro

Morgan

Journeyman
    I would go for Omega. Tudor almost feels the move mainstream choice right now. It feels like everyone is buying a Tudor right now and I can't help but feel quite a few will be trying move them on in 6-12 months.

Apprentice
    Omega ftw

Master
    Comparing the 41mm Tudor diver with the 38,5mm Omega sporty dresswatch seems odd to me.

Buy what appeals the most, what you think is the nicest one which would fit the best.

I would go for the BB, if it were me 😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by morgandk View Post
    Neither. For the money i'd go vintage Tudor. It'll go up in price. A nice Submariner Ref 79090can be had for less than 2500 euro
    Morgan
    Where from? That I would buy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by morgandk View Post

Morgan

They don't come up very often. Im on the lookout for a 79190 with blue dial and you hardly ever see them.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Comparing the 41mm Tudor diver with the 38,5mm Omega sporty dresswatch seems odd to me.

Buy what appeals the most, what you think is the nicest one which would fit the best.

I would go for the BB, if it were me 😉
    I like both designs, both quite sporty and both will look fine with a suit. (I don't abide by any rules like divers can't be worn with suits. I wear any watch I like any time.). Just been browsing for the antique Tudor mentioned above. No chance!!

Quote Originally Posted by ayton1 View Post
    I would bet against that. My Tudor sub from the late 1970's cost around $400 back then and is worth 10 times that now. Non-gold/non-sport Omegas from that period ran around $400 to $800 new and sell for under $400 now.

Journeyman
    The Omega for me.

Are you aware the Tudor wears quite big and compare to 38.5mm ,The omega will be a lot smaller. You should try both on.

I am very biased and it has to be the Omega.Have never got to grips with the hands on a Tudor.Dont find them pretty at all to say the least.

Both black bay and aqua terra are great watches, I can see the appeal and am sure you'd be happy with either.

Like you I have small wrists, 36-38mm watches normally sit right for me (an Air King or Oyster is just about perfect). If I was to go for the AT I'd opt for the models with the bracelet, although the dials catch the light really well and they look stunning so I'm sure will go equally as well on a strap. However have you thought about the Speedmaster Professional? Granted it is larger at 41mm (looks big on me) but very comfortable to wear, the Pro has classic looks and lots of heritage. With regards to the AT are you being influenced by the decent saving?

Personally I don't have a any experience of the Black Bay but it is another good looking watch and a solid choice, it is bigger than the AT though.

Are there any reasons why you aren't looking at alternative pre owned watches?

Whichever model you decide to go for I'd suggest you take your time, try them on several times and buy the one that feels right to you. Mind you I'm impetuous, try it ... Buy it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Both black bay and aqua terra are great watches, I can see the appeal and am sure you'd be happy with either.

Like you I have small wrists, 36-38mm watches normally sit right for me (an Air King or Oyster is just about perfect). If I was to go for the AT I'd opt for the models with the bracelet, although the dials catch the light really well and they look stunning so I'm sure will go equally as well on a strap. However have you thought about the Speedmaster Professional? Granted it is larger at 41mm (looks big on me) but very comfortable to wear, the Pro has classic looks and lots of heritage. With regards to the AT are you being influenced by the decent saving?

Personally I don't have a any experience of the Black Bay but it is another good looking watch and a solid choice, it is bigger than the AT though.

Are there any reasons why you aren't looking at alternative pre owned watches?

Whichever model you decide to go for I'd suggest you take your time, try them on several times and buy the one that feels right to you. Mind you I'm impetuous, try it ... Buy it!!!
    I will definitely try them on tomorrow. I've had all sorts of watches over the years, mostly sub £1000 watches. I still have a Tag Kirium quartz chrono (36mm!) which is my cycling/beater watch and much as I admire the speedy, I don't want another chrono. I've been thinking for a year about selling up half a dozen of the budget watches to fund one more expensive watch. I've admired the AT for a while but thought it too expensive for me. I was not aware of the Tudor until this week and it was this watch made me decide to do a sell off and put the plan in action. I only want one nice watch and a beater because (sorry everyone) I find myself somewhat bored with watches and owning lots of them. This may change down the track but for now I want one nice all rounder for about £2k and my Tag beater. I might consider a used watch but would rather buy new for that sort of money.

Journeyman
    Omega definitely beats Tudor. If you want to sell later only WIS's know what a Tudor is

I will definitely try them on tomorrow.
    Enjoy your day, have fun and if you can report back to the thread.

Craftsman
    Omega AT beautiful. I want one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    Omega definitely beats Tudor. If you want to sell later only WIS's know what a Tudor is
    And they're willing to pay a big premium. If I was betting on flipping value, I'd likely pick the Tudor.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Always Tudor

Its always been Tudor over Omega for me!! plus if you join the masses buying all the Tudors at the moment that just means bargains for me when everyone starts flipping them!!😄😉

Chris

Banned
    Aquaterra vs Black Bay definitely Black Bay for me, no matter the bezel color it still is nicer in my opinon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexstu View Post

They don't come up very often. Im on the lookout for a 79190 with blue dial and you hardly ever see them.
    79090 is the plexi version 79190 is the saphire version. Plexi is much more common. price is similar.

Over on vintagerolexforum.com <- Sales Corner, they show up more or less weekly. In the 2.800-4000 USD range depending on specs.

Cheers

Morgan

Journeyman
    Omega every time :-)

Well I just tried both watches. Both very nice but on balance I decided the Omega was a tad too dressy in the metal for what I'm after as an all rounder. Loved the Black Bay and even though it's quite large, the slight curve to the lugs means it sat well on my wrist and felt very comfortable. In the metal I found the red bezel just a bit too much for my taste for a daily wearer but absolutely loved the blue. Goldsmiths not prepared to offer a penny of discount on the grounds of them being 'new to the UK and very rare'. OK then, I'll buy it from someone else as even with 15% gift card discount from work the Iconic Watches price kindly mentioned above looks the best deal.

Yeh it seems to be a great deal on iconic. Think I'm going to do the same myself!

For some reason the Aqua Terra leaves me cold so I'm pleased that you like the Tudor. Before you spend the money though; you have seen the blue Hydronaut? A lot less than your budget, I would have thought, and at least has the benefit of a blue dial as well as bezel. I'm sure Morgan can advise on prices.

Did the Cap'n used to have one of these? Wrong - different type of blue Tudor.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 20th October 2014 at 15:54.

Tudor of course... Blue Bay? even better

I was lucky to pick up an aqua Terra at a great price off SC for about £60 more than the Black Bay on Iconic. I would recommend it for sure.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    If you can get the deal for the Omega on the Bracelet, then that would be my choice.
    +1.....try and haggle a deal to buy a bracelet at a discounted price. Bracelet option is better IMO.

The watch is a cracker, I own one myself.

Paul

Aqua Terra with bracelet is too pricey for me and while I acknowledge it's a lovely thing, I found it too dressy. I felt little to no emotion looking at it or wearing it. The Black Bay was visually much more appealing to me. Red is gorgeous but wouldn't be a daily wearer for me but I felt the blue would be. Ordering it tonight.

Aqua Terra with bracelet is too pricey for me and while I acknowledge it's a lovely thing, I found it too dressy. I felt little to no emotion looking at it or wearing it. The Black Bay was visually much more appealing to me. Red is gorgeous but wouldn't be a daily wearer for me but I felt the blue would be. Ordering it tonight.
    Congratulations! Great choice, looking forward to some photos!

Does anyone know what the difference between the servicing costs between the two would be?

Craftsman
    I'd say similar. Also for un-authorized service. Both variations have simple movements that any trained watchmaker can take apart.

Interestingly enough Rolex charges less for a Tudor service than they do for Rolex. Also their vintage pieces in GVA are different. So theoretically, a 116520 is more expensive to service than a Tudor 7031 Homeplate, even though the homeplate is worth 4 times as much. neat.

morgan

I have both the Tudor Black Bay blue and the SMP. Its amazing how big the Blackbay wears compared to the Omega. Both 41mm but the extra thickness of the BB and wider lugs make it wear a lot larger. If you are looking at the AT then definitely try and compare both side by side as it will be like David and Goliath.

Last edited by adesmith; 21st October 2014 at 14:51.

Reporting back as promised. I ordered the Black Bay from Iconic Watches on Monday evening. I know they are a 'grey' dealer but read nothing but good things about them so thought I would go for it. They called me yesterday to ask for my wrist measurement so that they could resize the watch. It arrived by FedEx at 8am this morning. Eveything looks present and correct, watch is brand new and unworn with all the appropriate plastic protective bits in place. A few pics, sorry for poor quality (iPhone controlled by a ham-fisted human, poor light):

As expected based on what I had read about Iconic Watches, the warranty is from an Italian AD and is dated 8 September, so you do trade off a month to 6 weeks of warranty for your extra discount. Warranty card with dealer's details:

I am delighted with the watch. It is every bit as beautiful and nicely finished as it looked in the shop and is extremely comfortable to wear. My wrists are 7 inches exactly and despite my concerns about the size its height and curvature mean it sits very nicely on the wrist. I would also highly recommend Iconic Watches, seamless transaction, strap resized perfectly and an acceptable EU based AD warranty.

Master
    Congrats! Beautiful watch and looks great on your wrist.

Congratulations. A man of taste

Congrads. Stunning watch.