closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a Rolex Submariner...

Thinking about getting a Rolex Submariner...

I've never had a Rolex before and to be honest I never thought I would ever own one but now I'm seriously considing it for the first time.

I think if I'm honest I've always loved the look of the Rolex Submariner and many of the watches I've owned have had the Submariner look such as Ollech and Wajs M4, Marcello C Nettuno, Marathon SAR, and many Seiko and Citizen divers etc. I'd just always thought I'd never be able to have the real thing.

For the last few years I've lived with three watches, two that have remained constant have been my Omega Speedmaster and Omega Seamaster 2254 while the third watch has changed constantly. I've had various pilot watches, divers and even dress watches but have never found a third watch that has become a 'keeper' like my Omegas.

Last month I bought a Tudor Black Bay to go with my Omegas and this has given me the Submariner look for a fraction of the price.

However even though it's a Tudor and Tudor is owned by Rolex, I keep getting a little nagging voice saying it's still not a Rolex Submariner.

So I've come to thinking that if I sell my Omega Semaster 2254 and the Tudor Black Bay, (I never thought I'd think about letting the 2254 go) for the first time I could be in a position or very nearly to be able to get a Rolex Submariner. I'd then have just two again but they'd be the Omega Speedmaster and Rolex Submariner, two classics and I'd then just get a cheap diver as a beater as my third watch.

So I think that's what I'm going to do but I'm not 100% sure.

Firstly the servicing costs put me off a little and also I've no idea which model to get as I've never really looked into it properly.

All I know is that I'd like a no date model and I'd like the links and end links to be solid as I've read that some of the older ones are hollow.

Obviously it would have to be a newer used model as I can't afford new but which one and how much would I be looking at?

Intresting, you already have a very nice collection IMO.

I have owned a Omega SMP 2254 since new and have often thought about getting a Rolex ND Sub, However I would not want to get rid of my 2254 to fund it, in fact i would not swap it for one. No disrespect to the Rolex it is just if I compare them side by side (which I have done) I still prefer the Omega, even before considering cost and values.

I would consider selling the tudor rather than the 2254 IMO, as they are easy to replace in the future as they are a current model, where as if you decide to buy another 2254 in the future, the values still seem to be on the rise and finding a good one at a good price might be a hard task.

However, if you want a rolex submariner, fair play to you. Go for it.

Last edited by pastrana72; 19th October 2014 at 19:50.

Banned
    I'd just swap the Tudor for the Rolex you want, when you've enough funds.

The loss of two isn't worth it otherwise.

As to which Sub, suppose it depends on your opinion towards the cyclops.

Sounds like you really need to scratch that submariner itch, so I say go for it. Trade the two watches in and get what you really want!

Craftsman
    The omega and Tudor aren't unique (?), so worst case scenario if you buy and sell carefully you should be able to change your mind without too much cost?

Craftsman
    Do it, nobody I know has ever truly regretted buying a sub. Not something you'll ever lose money on if you buy privately too.

Master
    Old review but it may help.http://www.luxurytyme.com/articles/2.html

As others have said, do it! My sub was a gift and along with my speedy is my a watch I would never part with. You will love it too I'm sure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    As others have said, do it! My sub was a gift and along with my speedy is my a watch I would never part with. You will love it too I'm sure.
    +1, I also have a sub and speedy and love them both for different reasons. Buy a sub, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

I remember reading that review a few years ago!

Reading it again has made my think about keeping the Omega 2254 and getting a Sub to go with the two Omegas.

Master
    100% flip the Seamaster and Tudor for a Sub. Then in the future, get a dress watch to go with the sub & speedy, the perfect 3 watch collection

I'd flip them but only if I could get the non date SubC, which you're probably going to need 3750+ for so would still have to find some cash to add into the deal. Love the 2254, had two and a 2264 all of which have now made gone to allow me to get my first (and only) Rolex. It was close between the ND SubC and the ExpII but the Explorer won for me and I dont regret getting it one bit (one day I hope to be able to get the SubC LV as well, but that's someway off).

I should say I still have an old battered bond 2531 for my Seamaster fix, if that had also had to go then things might have been different.
    Last edited by catflap; 19th October 2014 at 20:59.

I was in a similar situation, never wanted, or thought I would own a Rolex, but in the end took the plunge, and sacrificed a vintage Speedmaster and an old model Navitimer, to purchase my first, and ultimately, my second Submariner.

Slippery slope, I'm now on my third.

Quote Originally Posted by bondguru View Post
    +1, I also have a sub and speedy and love them both for different reasons. Buy a sub, you won't regret it.
    Me too, and I totally agree.

I bought my sub on a bit of an impulse, and the next day had some buyers remorse, but by the end of the second day it was gone and has been on my wrist more than all the others combined for the past 3 yrs.

Craftsman
    I'm lucky enough to have a speedy 3840.50.31, and both cyclops and nd subs. Wouldn't part with any of them, but if I had to the nd would (probably) be last to go.

IMHO you should definitely swap the Tudor for an ND.

Btw you can always see a good selection of NDs at under 3k on Chrono 24. Got mine (condition 1) via Chrono from a German dealer at 2.6k.

Sub all the way, and go for the ceramic, even if it's a stretch.

It's something you'll feel good about every time you look at it every day, for the rest of your life. There are relatively few things you can say that about.

I'm not a Speedy fan, but even I think a Sub and a Speedy is probably the perfect two-watch collection.

Havent you had your 2254 for years ? Do you really want to flip it?

What sub would you go for ? ceramic no date etc?

Master
    Do it! A sub and a Speedmaster - what a great pair.

Master
    Don't do it – there's sod all wrong nor second rate about the Black Bay (apart from buying the wrong colour).
    If you were to change anything, I'd say it'd be the BB for the Pelagos, but not a smaller dialled Rolex Sub.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I'm not a Speedy fan, but even I think a Sub and a Speedy is probably the perfect two-watch collection.
    It might be for some, but it would be completely bereft of personality - the sort of collection that says "I went on the Internet to ask what sort of taste I should have". Just add G-Shock for total anonymity?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

If you really want a Rolex and specifically a Submariner, then the odds are that you're not going to be satisfied until you get one.

You should get to an AD and try on the Sub, Sub Date, the SD4000, and the DSSD just to get a feel for the Rolex divers line, so that you can make an informed choice.

I'm personally not one for flipping, so I would say that you should budget for the watch and see how that works for you.

You can sell later, if you must.

The main thing is to listen to your own heart. No one here can tell you what's best for you.

Do your homework and take your best shot.

Master

Go for it!!

I know where your coming from and unless you do it that nagging in the back of your mind will stay there!! I started with a ND Sub but had to have the 16610 in the end which I have only just acquired!! You will not regret it one bit!! Ive had a 2254 and lots of various Tudor Subs some of which cost a lot more than my Rolex Subs but the feel and general quality is just there!! Dont get me wrong I still have loads of other watches but growing up I always wanted a Sub so it had to happen!! I believe my 16610 might be my first "keeper" as I am considering making it my 40th pressie to myself!!😄
    I would say like any itch, scratch it and if you want to go back to a 2254 and a Tudor BB they are ten a penny so it wont be hard to track some decent ones down again and if you did want to flip the Sub in the future as long as its well priced it will sell!!
    Go on you know you want to, buy a classic!!

Chris

Hmmm... I have to say you already have a nice three-watch collection. If you're pushing your budget and think that you'll miss the 2254 then to be honest I'd stay with what you have and (perhaps) add something dressy when you have the funds (Stowa, Nomos, etc).

Blimey, did I say that?

Master
    I'm going to go against the consensus here but, having had a Sub for the last ten years, there is no way I would get rid of a 2254 in order to acquire one.

The Sub is a great watch but I think the 2254 is a much nicer looking watch, and as it is hasn't been made for some time you may struggle to find a minter if you traded yours and later wanted to replace it, whereas the Sub is still current and you will be able to pick one up for many years to come.

I would sell the Tudor and start saving for the Sub were it me.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I'm going to go against the consensus here but, having had a Sub for the last ten years, there is no way I would get rid of a 2254 in order to acquire one.

The Sub is a great watch but I think the 2254 is a much nicer looking watch, and as it is hasn't been made for some time you may struggle to find a minter if you traded yours and later wanted to replace it, whereas the Sub is still current and you will be able to pick one up for many years to come.

I would sell the Tudor and start saving for the Sub were it me.
    I've just got up after having slept on it and that's what I think I'm going to do. I don't think I can part with the 2254.

Banned
    Such a nice three pieces and letting two go for SubM well I would not do that, not with Tudor BB. Same scenario happened to me some months ago when I sold Tudor and bought Submariner 116610LN somehow even when the watch is perfect I was missing my old Tudor BB.

You have a nice varied collection that is a bit different. The sub is a common piece and a bit of a cliche, is it really the one you want or the one you think you should have?

Journeyman
    Get the Sub! You could pick up a 114060 for about £3500 in condition 1 on chrono24.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    You have a nice varied collection that is a bit different. The sub is a common piece and a bit of a cliche, is it really the one you want or the one you think you should have?
    Might be common in the WIS world, but not so much day to day (at least not where I live!). Whatever, it's still a classic and you can't really go wrong with one.

Grand Master
    You will never go wrong with a sub fella, has been around for quite a few decades and still as popular as ever. It is probably the best fit, form, function piece there is so I wouldnt hesitate personally get it on and enjoy as it will be a superb unit but equally if you want to get out of it a very easy piece to move
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Just add G-Shock for total anonymity?
    A Sub, a Speedy, and a G-Shock would be the perfect three-watch collection.

You know it makes sense :-)

Quick question which hopefully is on topic and may be of use to the OP and other interested readers. There is a head only 14060 Sub on SC at the minute. I actually prefer the dimentions of the earlier Subs as they wear smaller than the current wide lug SubC BUT the bracelets are nowhere near as good as the current ones. So my question is, would the new style glide lock bracelet fitted to the current SubC fit the older Subs such as the 14060, would Rolex supply and fit one to an older Sub and what are the costs likely to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Might be common in the WIS world, but not so much day to day (at least not where I live!). Whatever, it's still a classic and you can't really go wrong with one.
    Pretty much the same where I live too. I've only ever seen 1 other person wearing a Sub in the 18 years I've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Pretty much the same where I live too. I've only ever seen 1 other person wearing a Sub in the 18 years I've had one.
    The only Rolex I've seen in the wild (over the last 12 months since I became interested in watches) were actually DateJusts. I'm not sure I've actually seen a Sub in the wild during this period.

Craftsman
    Initial thought was Yes go for the Sub, it`s an itch you need to scratch, I`ve had that same itch for 2 years and not scratched yet. The speedy is also an itch for me.

However I saw Panastra`s pic comparing the sub / seamaster and another itch is forming.

Craftsman
    On one side, it gets old real quick. But on the other - you have to try it. Its an entirely different animal than f.ex. Omega. Give it a shot!!!

morgan

Master
    So if contemplating dipping a toe into Rolex ownership for the first time, what might be the best place (ie which models) to start, with let's say £3-5k available? Any particular one give a better overall ownership experience than others at this price point?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Quick question which hopefully is on topic and may be of use to the OP and other interested readers. There is a head only 14060 Sub on SC at the minute. I actually prefer the dimentions of the earlier Subs as they wear smaller than the current wide lug SubC BUT the bracelets are nowhere near as good as the current ones. So my question is, would the new style glide lock bracelet fitted to the current SubC fit the older Subs such as the 14060, would Rolex supply and fit one to an older Sub and what are the costs likely to be?
    I've read on other forums that the glide lock clasp can be added to the old style bracelet. It's not cheap though. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fit the bracelet as well. You'll probably need the end links from the old style bracelet though. You'll be looking at four figures for a bracelet and clasp from Rolex.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink Eagles fly alone, ducks travel in flocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post

However even though it's a Tudor and Tudor is owned by Rolex, I keep getting a little nagging voice saying it's still not a Rolex Submariner.
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and in this case it is imho succumbing to exposure.
    Your Tudor is every bit as good a watch as it's sub posh cousin and a lot more individualistic.
    You decide what the 'need' is about.

Good luck in deciding and not losing money on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Rolex won't supply a bracelet on it's own, and even if you could get it via a friend or something, they are not cheap!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    So if contemplating dipping a toe into Rolex ownership for the first time, what might be the best place (ie which models) to start, with let's say £3-5k available? Any particular one give a better overall ownership experience than others at this price point?
    The good thing is the range isn't huge, and it's consistent....so go have a look on the Rolex site at what takes your fancy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Older second hand DJs are usually a steal if you don't mind the 36mm diameter. Great versatile watch, a proper Rolex and a lot less dear than a sub. Value for money the Explorer II's are also very nice, as they are less popular than the subs.

For a Sub with 3-5k budget you can just go for a 116610LN. If you want some change the 16610 is just fine, but a bit slimmer at the 'hips'.

In my opinion the Rolex Submariner is a great choice and it works on nearly any wrist. Yes they are relatively common, but who cares. Wear a watch for you :).

Personally I would flip the Tudor, but not the Omega SMP.

IMO You need to ask yourself, exactly what you want from owning a Rolex.

If you go for an older (slimmer lug) Submariner, then I think that you'll find certain aspects of the BB preferable, in particular the bracelet and clasp.

The BB is a fantastic watch, but imo the modern subs are better, as good as the modern Tudor bracelet is, the modern Rolex edges it, and the glidelock, plus 1/2 link should offer you a great fit. The ceramic bezel insert wont easily scratch, nor fade.

IMO, the BB looks better than the modern subs, but of course the sub is a design classic.

Like I said, what do you want from owning a Rolex? Because the physical advantages of the modern subs are fairly small compared to the price difference with the BB, and imo the physical advantges of the older generation subs (when compared to the BB) are non existant.

If this is a decison you're considering on attribute* rather than variable criteria, then it really is down to you, your budget etc, etc

But as you've been much advised, I really would keep the SMP!

*attribute data = non measurable criteria, eg is that a nice colour, do you like how it looks
    variable data = measurable criteria, eg which car is fastest, which toaster can fit the most bread

Just do it, and should you regret it you wont lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Just do it, and should you regret it you wont lose out.
    I don't disagree.... BUT lets add the caveat that you'll need to pick your sub carefully for this to be true...

Pop out on your lunchbreak, drop 5 large into a 114060 from Goldsmiths, then flip it next week and you'll probably be looking at a 20% hit

Journeyman
    I've had three Rolex Submariner dates....love them!

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    I don't disagree.... BUT lets add the caveat that you'll need to pick your sub carefully for this to be true...

Pop out on your lunchbreak, drop 5 large into a 114060 from Goldsmiths, then flip it next week and you'll probably be looking at a 20% hit
    True enough,

Tbh having owned a fair number of subs - and I know I'm in the minority here - they're a very vanilla slightly boring watch. When they were a couple of grand, fine - but now? I genuinely think your current watches are lovely. If you're expecting the Rolex experience to blow you away you might be a little underwhelmed imho.

Master

Not sure rolex would even put a newer style bracelet on to an older watch think they used to change parts to different ones if the owner requested it but that was a long time ago