closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tempted to pull the trigger on a UAV

Master

Tempted to pull the trigger on a UAV

Already fully GoPro Black'd up and see that Ican go quadricopter for under 400 bills (allowing for a couple of spare batteries).

Seems to me to be awesome fun! Anyone else played with drones?
    Last edited by Beaunidle; 19th October 2014 at 19:53.

Craftsman
    I had my gopro fitted to my dynamic s glider, quite scary. I did actually crash it quite bad once but it survived a treat. Great fun.

I'd love to have a go of FPV.

Last edited by Petewon; 19th October 2014 at 19:26.

Master
    Attached to what now? Awesome!

Master
    I'm guessing live feed right?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Already fully GoPro Black'd up and see that Ican go quadricopter for under 400 bills (allowing for a couple of spare batteries).

Seems to me to be awesome fun! Anyone else played with drones?
    https://www.airdog.com/

Looks fantastic!!

Craftsman
    I'm guessing live feed right?
    Yeah the recording is done on the gopro but if you look to the right of the video you can see a little camera, this feeds back to a set of video goggles so you you have a first person view when you are flying. depending the gear used the range can be quite far (a few Kms).

http://www.dji.com/

Check out the showcase videos

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Yeah the recording is done on the gopro but if you look to the right of the video you can see a little camera, this feeds back to a set of video goggles so you you have a first person view when you are flying. depending the gear used the range can be quite far (a few Kms).
    From what I've read, not legal in the UK.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    From what I've read, not legal in the UK.
    Ah right, I never knew that. Allways fancied a go but a bit pricey to dip the toe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Ah right, I never knew that. Allways fancied a go but a bit pricey to dip the toe in.
    Think the drone has to be in sight (500m). Summary of regulations here http://droneflight.co.uk/pages/summa...l-requirements.

Master
    DJI Phantom ordered. I await the wrath of the wife and the yowling hoots of the children!

Craftsman
    Think the drone has to be in sight (500m). Summary of regulations here http://droneflight.co.uk/pages/summa...l-requirements.
    Makes sense. I always used to worry a bit when flying any of my planes, so much that I would go out onto the fells.

Craftsman
    DJI Phantom ordered. I await the wrath of the wife and the yowling hoots of the children!
    Nice one, looking forward to seeing those vids. ;-)

Here's one of my little T28 on the slower battery excuse the heavy breathing.

Last edited by Petewon; 19th October 2014 at 20:38.

My brother-in-law got into this in a big way, initially as a toy to play with with his iPhone but then as an idea for a business, he wanted to use it to survey roofs and inaccessible places.

Trouble was the good kit is very expensive and very very easy to break! Having several grands worth of plastic pieces in the car boot got a bit trying.

He also had problems getting a license to use it around the general public, I have a feeling you need a CAA license and insurance which wasn't cheap.

However it was a blast flying around with the first one!

Yup, I have a few (started with a Dji F450 that I built myself) - Hav ea few others based on the F450 frame. Have now moved into some FPV smaller 250 quads. FPV is legal as far as I was aware, as long you have a spotter with you to keep an eye on the quad. Its totally different feeling flying FPV than line of sight. I'd recommend learning to fly the quad LOS, then move onto FPV. Oh and if you go for an DJI that has the Naza flight controller (most of them will unless you go super expensive) then try to learn how to fly it in manual rather than relying on gps mode. If you get in trouble, you shouldn't always rely on the gadgets to get you out of it (read up on Naza flyaways- from what I have seen, all of thiose that have flown off were flying in GPS and didnt switch out of it into manual (for whatever reason).

Anyway, happy to answer some questions. Was actually out today filming a mate who has a Raptor 50 nitro heli - was pretty cool flying above him and filming straight down with the go pro (but nerve wracking thinking of the bill if we collided ;)

I've been looking at the DJI Phantom 2 this very evening. Might be getting purchased this week...

After looking at reviews and YT footage, I'm planning on buying the Vision Plus pack that includes FPV to iOS or Android out of the box, rather than GoPro.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    one of the best I have seen, from 2012, best viewed in 720p, fullscreen.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    duplicate post
    Last edited by soundood; 20th October 2014 at 01:35.

Wow, looks fine for the hobbyist, but I've been thinking of sidelining some aerial photography into my wife's studio photography business and the legalities behind commercial use are a real minefield!

More than complicated are the costs, they look prohibitive for a cheapskate, like myself.

:(

Craftsman
    How hard are these to operate? Thats my main problem with deciding on getting one. Im an absolute retard at anything R/C ?

morgan

I'd probably look at getting something like Hubsan X4 107 - You can fly it indoors, they cost about £30 and you can get the hang of how to fly before progressing.

Most of the flight controllers nowadays have altitude hold, gps hold etc so they are easier to fly but as I mentioned above you should learn to fly it properly without relying on the electronics.

You could also look at getting an RC simulator (I use Phoenix) - Great for practicing when the weather isn't great to fly outdoors.....

Banned
    why would you want to shoot one of these down, it looks like a harmless enough hobby to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    why would you want to shoot one of these down, it looks like a harmless enough hobby to me?
    Some have itchy fingers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    I'd probably look at getting something like Hubsan X4 107 - You can fly it indoors, they cost about £30 and you can get the hang of how to fly before progressing.

Most of the flight controllers nowadays have altitude hold, gps hold etc so they are easier to fly but as I mentioned above you should learn to fly it properly without relying on the electronics.

You could also look at getting an RC simulator (I use Phoenix) - Great for practicing when the weather isn't great to fly outdoors.....
    Thanks!!! I'll take a look!

m

Just ordered the DJI Phantom Vision Plus! Very excited.

I intend to take the licence for commercial use too, which is twice the cost of the unit!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Just ordered the DJI Phantom Vision Plus! Very excited.

I intend to take the licence for commercial use too, which is twice the cost of the unit!!!
    Wow! Interesting! You have linky?

Loving my Phantom (base version though) lugging my GoPro)

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the commercial licence. Had mine out again today - just some testing with some new landing legs. Then I got one of my FPVs out to practice some more (I find FPV a lot harder to fly (Currently) than line of sight....

Link to Unmanned Aircraft and Aircraft Systems; the CAA's page with "Information and guidance associated with the operation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UASs) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)."

See also their link to Pilot Qualification and other such info.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Link to Unmanned Aircraft and Aircraft Systems; the CAA's page with "Information and guidance associated with the operation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UASs) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)."

See also their link to Pilot Qualification and other such info.
    There are even some jobs out there: http://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?t=Dr...746645aed3f797

Completed my first trial flight - took a few pictures from about 100ft in my garden... They've come out ok:

Craftsman
    Completed my first trial flight - took a few pictures from about 100ft in my garden... They've come out ok:

Amazing!

Where did you end up buying it from if you don't mind me asking

Normally I would steer very clear for this kind of thing, but I found one on eBay, boxed, sealed and new at £150 off rrp. Couldn't pass it up.

Craftsman
    Normally I would steer very clear for this kind of thing, but I found one on eBay, boxed, sealed and new at £150 off rrp. Couldn't pass it up.
    Sounds like a bargain, did not even think of looking on EBay.

Imagine your neighbours might not be too happy if these are regular flights.

Craftsman
    Imagine your neighbours might not be too happy if these are regular flights.
    I'm sure some people used to pay reasonable money for aerial photos of their houses.

Any upset neighbours could possibly be calmed with a few free photos and a quick go on the controls.

Avoid French nuclear power stations...