closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: suggestions, small business ideas

Craftsman

suggestions, small business ideas

hi,
    I am looking for some suggestions for working from home. either working for someone else using my computer or starting a little business with low start up costs. I do have a little business (well more of a large hobby) but its seasonal and Autumn/Winter are quiet. I am more of a practical person and like to make and sell things but any and all suggestions are welcome.
    thanks in advance

Master
    Everyone on my Facebook feed seems to be selling Herbalife, and all have already 'secured their families futures'

Must be worth a look surely?

Paracord bracelets maybe ? Or more locally flat pack furniture assembly ?

dog walking is a good one
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Start making your own leather straps and sell them online?

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Start making your own leather straps and sell them online?
    Who would possibly buy such things?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Who would possibly buy such things?
    I hear there are plenty of people with a fetish for leather. I guess targeting the pervert market would be the wise move here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Paracord bracelets maybe ?
    Is there much of a market for these for someone to run as a small business?
    Last edited by Essexman; 22nd October 2014 at 13:54.

I hear there are plenty of people with a fetish for leather. I guess targeting the pervert market would be the wise move here.
    That's got to be right.

Im not sure how many people lose by underestimating the pervy-ness of the general population.

I do remember listening to Evan Davis's "The Bottom Line" programme on Radio 4 when they had some guy who'd started an on line sex toy business and seemed to be making a good living out of it.

Wouldn't like to be working in the customer returns department though.

All jesting aside, back in the day when I used to furtle leather as a hobby, I was approached by a good chum with an interest in the Pervy side of things about making some restraints. I politely declined as I didn't want that image in my mind for ever...shudder.

What he did tell me is that the price of such gear commercially is phenomenally high for the well-made examples - he exhibits at some regular expo events and there would definitely be a demand for very high quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    That's got to be right.

Im not sure how many people lose by underestimating the pervy-ness of the general population.

Wouldn't like to be working in the customer returns department though.

I bet someone would though;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dentsmithy View Post
    I bet someone would though;)
    Calling Mr Burns, calling Mr Burns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    All jesting aside, back in the day when I used to furtle leather as a hobby, I was approached by a good chum with an interest in the Pervy side of things about making some restraints. I politely declined as I didn't want that image in my mind for ever...shudder.

What he did tell me is that the price of such gear commercially is phenomenally high for the well-made examples - he exhibits at some regular expo events and there would definitely be a demand for very high quality stuff.
    Your right, there is good money in kink I believe. I was watching a programme about a Pro Domme (Dominatrix) who used to sell the first pee of the morning to her clients. £25 per 250ml, posted out fresh every morning. Recycling at its most profitable

When I was a wee lad, there used to be these non watch related magazines for men. There would be ladies used underpants for sale in the classifieds section. I suspect that all of those weren't used by women. Maybe start using lace knickers and sell them after a week or so? Each secretion raises the price for ten quid?

When I was a wee lad, there used to be these non watch related magazines for men. There would be ladies used underpants for sale in the classifieds section. I suspect that all of those weren't used by women. Maybe start using lace knickers and sell them after a week or so? Each secretion raises the price for ten quid?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I imagine that's pretty much how it works

Craftsman
    Bitcoin ATM's

M

This thread has got me thinking

I wonder how much of a market there would be for my Y-fronts?

Value packs of 6 can be had very reasonably from Tesco. I could wear a pair for a day whilst Mrs V has me doing various jobs round the house and garden and then put them up for sale. To add value I could include some photos of her telling me what to do with that smacked arse face she does when getting me to clean the windows etc.

It could be a winner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    This thread has got me thinking

I wonder how much of a market there would be for my Y-fronts?

Value packs of 6 can be had very reasonably from Tesco. I could wear a pair for a day whilst Mrs V has me doing various jobs round the house and garden and then put them up for sale. To add value I could include some photos of her telling me what to do with that smacked arse face she does when getting me to clean the windows etc.

It could be a winner.
    Threads like this make me glad not to have access to the sale area yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Threads like this make me glad not to have access to the sale area yet!
    You ain't seen nothing yet

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Everyone on my Facebook feed seems to be selling Herbalife, and all have already 'secured their families futures'

Must be worth a look surely?
    Herbalife is a pyramid scheme:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ommission.html

Chimney sweep - bustiest period probably in the autumn.

Rather than ask, "What's a good business and can I do it?" it might be better to ask, "What can I do and is it a good business?"

In other words, whatever skills or knowledge you have are probably valuable to someone, but that's where you should start. Something that anybody can do (like be in a pyramid scheme) is not a sustainable business.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Great idea.

If you're rural, (don't laugh), how about servicing AGAs?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    that's a good suggestion and I did think seriously about it a couple of years ago. Wood burning stoves are very popular here and its quite easy to clean the liner which needs doing each year and as I do my own I thought I could do others too. the couple who used to do it around our area have stopped but unfortunately they had to stop as they both developed cancer. I don't know if it was because of all the soot they breathed in, but its pretty nasty stuff and I lost my enthusiasm for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Rather than ask, "What's a good business and can I do it?" it might be better to ask, "What can I do and is it a good business?"

In other words, whatever skills or knowledge you have are probably valuable to someone, but that's where you should start. Something that anybody can do (like be in a pyramid scheme) is not a sustainable business.
    This is a good way of looking at it and I suppose I do have some skills which I could use. I used to be a furniture maker / restorer for a number of years until the bottom dropped out of Victorian / Edwardian furniture.

However I like the challenge of thinking of a new business idea and developing the skills to make it succeed. Unfortunately once I have developed the skills I do seem to lose interest a bit. I have developed a small range of organic garden fertilizers/ plant feed which I make and sell which has proved popular but only in the Spring/Summer, this I do enjoy. well the making but hate the marketing side.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    This is a good way of looking at it and I suppose I do have some skills which I could use. I used to be a furniture maker / restorer for a number of years until the bottom dropped out of Victorian / Edwardian furniture.

However I like the challenge of thinking of a new business idea and developing the skills to make it succeed. Unfortunately once I have developed the skills I do seem to lose interest a bit. I have developed a small range of organic garden fertilizers/ plant feed which I make and sell which has proved popular but only in the Spring/Summer, this I do enjoy. well the making but hate the marketing side.
    Furniture repairs? There are more people who like to buy older furniture that has been made good/recycled these days, can be a fashion thing.

My daughter wanted a desk for her room. So her and Mum purchased an old style desk secondhand, deco patched the sides to cover the old dark wood and brighten it up. It’s a solid bit of furniture that will last years and she loves it. If that’s what a 12 year old can do I’m sure you could do better with your experience.

Master

But the bottom hasn't dropped out of the 'Man Cave' market.
    Would your skills stretch to custom pool tables, poker tables etc? They'd likely take an age to make, but a one-off, hand crafted game table for example would still bring a premium...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I dare you to say that to anyone selling it. They. Go. Mental.

The retro furniture market is alive and well. Every house on Grand Designs seems to have an Eames chair, Tulip table and an old factory pendant light.

Firstly research the sought after brands and styles of the 50/60s and get on eBay, Gumtree and in house clearances and seek your fortune.

Sometime back I was looking for an Ercol Daybed:

These were popular in the 60's/70's and a few years ago would have been only good for fire wood, however now, restored ones are selling for a fortune.

Craftsman
    Have you ever heard of Kentucky stick chairs?

http://www.buildeazy.com/stickchair-1.html

Easy to make, no-one seems to sell them. I have built 2 with my son, materials are about £15 (and that's just from B+Q).

Contact me if you want specifics.

Craftsman
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply with your good suggestions. Coincidently I am at the moment writing this from my Ercol Daybed similar to the picture posted. I will buy a Grand Designs magazine and see what is popular and try a bit of upcycling.

Master
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply with your good suggestions. Coincidently I am at the moment writing this from my Ercol Daybed similar to the picture posted. I will buy a Grand Designs magazine and see what is popular and try a bit of upcycling.
    Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes.

Remember everyone has different skills in life. Being good with your hands is a great skill that others are willing to pay good money for.
    Best of luck with your new business!

Try searching http://www.pinterest.com for upcycling, retro furniture, Eames etc. Set-up an account and follow some interior/design users such as Dezeen on Pinterest.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I dare you to say that to anyone selling it. They. Go. Mental.
    Why? The truth hurts?

Twelve years ago I had a conversation witht eh 18 year old son of the postmaster at the post office I used at the time and he said he wanted to start a small online business to help pay for his university fees. I suggested selling watch straps online and although he was initially sceptical, here's where he is now.

http://www.strapfactory.com/

It's estimated that the market for replacement watch straps in the UK is 7 million straps a year, plenty of room for everybody (almost).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    And they needed an investigation to establish that??

My retired neighbours are always busy 'house-minding' for people on holiday and seem to be absent from their own home 90% of the time - coming back for a few hours occasionally - and have an arrangement whereby another neighbour parks his car in their driveway to give the impression the property is occupied. They are established house minders so have regular clients.

dunk