closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: seagull 1963 reissue

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

seagull 1963 reissue

Really like these , but is there anything similar in this style of chrono thats in a similar
    price range.

Master
    Have a look at a Precista Prs5 if you can find one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Really nice the prs5 but looking at more dressier styles should have been more
    specific.

Master
    Have you seen the new, more historically accurate reissue (same case etc) taking pre-orders on the big watch forum?

Master
    You won't go wrong with a Strela lots to choose from, Cosmos just beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    You won't go wrong with a Strela lots to choose from, Cosmos just beautiful
    True but the Strela watches have gone up in price over the last couple of years, maybe better off getting a Buran or Poljot. Same movement and a third cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    Have you seen the new, more historically accurate reissue (same case etc) taking pre-orders on the big watch forum?
    After hearing this i had a look, but cant find anything via search.

Do you have a link?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    True but the Strela watches have gone up in price over the last couple of years, maybe better off getting a Buran or Poljot. Same movement and a third cheaper.
    Very true, sorry my post was rushed as I was off to bed! I was also going to mention Buran and Poljot, but even those a quite expensive now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
    Really like these , but is there anything similar in this style of chrono thats in a similar
    price range.
    Can I ask what don't you like about the Seagull 63? Have you had one or handled one? I only ask because they are gorgeous to look at in real life, most photos fail to pick up the beauty of this watch.

Can I ask what don't you like about the Seagull 63? Have you had one or handled one? I only ask because they are gorgeous to look at in real life, most photos fail to pick up the beauty of this watch.

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

There you go, I was hoping you'd be along with some amazing photos :)

The Seagull 1963 reissue was the single most unreliable watch I've ever owned. I don't think it was the fact that it was Chinese. I have another Chinese watch that has been faultless. I imagine it was just bad luck, since the movement is not known to be unreliable. But, personally, I'd take a Timefactors watch over a Seagull without question.

Master
    Assuming you're referring to the model pictured they are no longer made by Seagull (if they ever were) but by a number of other manufacturers using Seagull movements and sometimes branded parts - it is no more a Seagull watch than the Precista PRS-5, which uses the same movement (though Eddie may have had more rigorous QC - not sure). The whole notion of 'buying a seagull' is wholly muddied by sellers referring to watches with seagull movements as Seagull watches, but watches from the Seagull factory itself have a good reputation for reliability and finish.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask what don't you like about the 63? Have you had one or handled one? I only ask because they are gorgeous to look at in real life, most photos fail to pick up the beauty of this watch.
    I really like the simplicity of the look ,not to crowded not so military looking more of a dress
    look ,
    I already have a seiko gen 2 for the military style chrono.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

What images Tony,you could make the cheapest watch like a million dollars!!

Steve

Master
    Assuming you're referring to the model pictured they are no longer made by Seagull (if they ever were) but by a number of other manufacturers using Seagull movements and sometimes branded parts - it is no more a Seagull watch than the Precista PRS-5, which uses the same movement (though Eddie may have had more rigorous QC - not sure). The whole notion of 'buying a seagull' is wholly muddied by sellers referring to watches with seagull movements as Seagull watches, but watches from the Seagull factory itself have a good reputation for reliability and finish.
    Can you provide proof to this statement, as I'm surprised by this but intrigued also.This may well prove why some say the watch has QC issues.
    I was always under the impression, you could purchase these direct from the Seagull factory, I may be wrong.

Blog Entries
    All genuine Seagull 1963 watches are 37,5mm and have an acrylic crystal, the rest are fake.
    Source: Seagull official at Basel world

Just put my name down for one of the newer historically correct reissues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Just put my name down for one of the newer historically correct reissues
    Can I ask which ones are they? Do you have a link please.

Master
    Can you provide proof to this statement, as I'm surprised by this but intrigued also.This may well prove why some say the watch has QC issues.
    I was always under the impression, you could purchase these direct from the Seagull factory, I may be wrong.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=821627

Neither Thomas or Watchunique are Seagull stockists, and they are the two main sources. You'll have to do some digging but it's all there. Both, particularly Thomas, have good reputations so it isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Master

seagull 1963 reissue

Can I ask which ones are they? Do you have a link please.
    Wasn't sure if this was allowed but since you're the second to ask - please remove if necessary: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=1069351

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Anyone had the 42mm version of the seagull .

Master

Smile

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=821627

Neither Thomas or Watchunique are Seagull stockists, and they are the two main sources. You'll have to do some digging but it's all there. Both, particularly Thomas, have good reputations so it isn't necessarily a bad thing...
    Thanks for that I just found it on WUS ;)
    Will give it a read, cheers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    All genuine Seagull 1963 watches are 37,5mm and have an acrylic crystal, the rest are fake.
    Source: Seagull official at Basel world

My understanding was that this limited edition was the only one produced entirely by Seagull though I may be wrong?

(This is different from the historically accurate new reissue I mentioned)

Master

My understanding was that this limited edition was the only one produced entirely by Seagull though I may be wrong?

That looks very nice, a bit more refined than the re issue.

Wow that limited edition seagull is the nicest version of this design I have seen.
    Is that currently available or if not how old is it?

There you go, I was hoping you'd be along with some amazing photos :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    What images Tony,you could make the cheapest watch like a million dollars!!

Steve
    Thank you - it's actually a very photogenic watch. I loved mine but the bloke I go to football with wanted to buy it and I never got round to sourcing a replacement.

Blog Entries

The 37,5mm version that "learningtofly" posted is also genuine.

(This one:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    The 37,5mm version that "learningtofly" posted is also genuine.

(This one:)
    The plot thickens - there are definitely a great many non Seagull produced (except for the movement) 37.5mm, acrylic crystal versions floating around, with a number of subtle differences (hour hand thickness, dial colour, branded/unbranded crown etc) so the challenge is identifying the seagull produced versions in among them. Anyone got a non limited edition version purchased directly from seagull?

Ive noticed on the buyers list on the WUS thread that out of the 225 people who have reserved the new model, I could literally count on one hand familiar names from this forum.

I also wasnt aware myself until last night, and i guess if you dont frequent the place you're not going to know.

Dont want to see any of our members missing out, so a link was already posted a few posts above, but if you cant find it, PM me and ill send you a link.

Cheers

Michael

Master
    The plot thickens - there are definitely a great many non Seagull produced (except for the movement) 37.5mm, acrylic crystal versions floating around, with a number of subtle differences (hour hand thickness, dial colour, branded/unbranded crown etc) so the challenge is identifying the seagull produced versions in among them. Anyone got a non limited edition version purchased directly from seagull?
    So would you say that the one in the photo is the genuine one? I hope so as this is the acrylic version and the one I always took to be genuine.I really like the re addition too and can see me owning both in the future.

Master
    Depends where you got it. The thread I linked to has a lot of details but it should be pointed out that Thomas, one of the main suppliers did used to work for seagull and they are fully aware he makes them so it isn't a question of fakes, and the movement is the same, it's just that they aren't assembled in the seagull factory. I think. All this info is second hand and you're best off having a root around yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Ive noticed on the buyers list on the WUS thread that out of the 225 people who have reserved the new model, I could literally count on one hand familiar names from this forum.

I also wasnt aware myself until last night, and i guess if you dont frequent the place you're not going to know.

Dont want to see any of our members missing out, so a link was already posted a few posts above, but if you cant find it, PM me and ill send you a link.

Cheers

Michael
    I've now added my name to the list (unless I'm too late) as a result of this thread. Thanks.

Ian