closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Strap Recommendations

Leather Strap Recommendations

I purchased my first real dress watch, a Glashutte Original, a few weeks ago. It's currently on a Jean Rousseau strap with plenty of life, but it's pretty much my daily wearer and I would like to keep my eye out for a spare. Has anybody got any good recommendations for leather straps? Do you really see more return in quality for the higher price straps (eg over £100)? What budget do you guys have for them?

Are you going down the exotic skin route, Christian? Alligator, Croc, Ostrich, etc, or going for Calf?

I can recommend Camille Fournet to get a custom made strap, to your spec, and especially as it's your daily wearer, you can spec the rubber lining to avoid sweat stains and premature wear.

You're going to be looking at around £170 or so for an Alligator, but, to get the custom treatment, it's worth it.

Thanks Ross - at the moment, I'm not sure...maybe. I will check CF out. I've always previously worn bracelets so buying quality leather straps is new to me. Just considering whether for something that is such a 'consumable' it's just better to buy a £40 Hirsch?

Hi Christian, glad it's getting plenty of wear!

For a daily wearer, I'd put something like a Hirsch on it, croc patterned calf is more than fine and will last really well - and replacement isn't painful!

Get on watchobsession and the world is your oyster!

I have just put a s/h Hirsch lucca in my sarb and it is really nice, it may be because it is already 'worn in' but it is so comfortable

I also have a vintager strap i bought on here some time ago and it is a thing of beauty and again extremely comfortable on the wrist

Last edited by Montybaber; 2nd November 2014 at 12:26.

Master
    'Condor' straps, made in India ... yes, India ... are very good, both in terms of design and quality.

I've put them on high-end and cheaper watches - to sell or wear - very successfully.

And they don't cost silly money.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    For a daily wearer, I'd put something like a Hirsch on it, croc patterned calf is more than fine and will last really well - and replacement isn't painful!
    I think that would be a real shame.

It's a beautiful watch, excellent quality throughout. To fit mock croc patterned calf would cheapen the watch significantly in my opinion.

In most things, I've always been happy to spend extra if the quality is reflected in the price, and straps are no different. It doesn't necessarily need to be a consumable if you buy right, specify moisture resistant rubber lining, wear it on a deployant, etc, all adding to something that can last.

Having been through many straps for many watches, I found that buying cheaply, usually ends up in buying multiples, looking for the right one. Before you know it, you've spent the £same as the expensive custom route and still no closer to the desired effect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I think that would be a real shame.

It's a beautiful watch, excellent quality throughout. To fit mock croc patterned calf would cheapen the watch significantly in my opinion.

In most things, I've always been happy to spend extra if the quality is reflected in the price, and straps are no different. It doesn't necessarily need to be a consumable if you buy right, specify moisture resistant rubber lining, wear it on a deployant, etc, all adding to something that can last.

Having been through many straps for many watches, I found that buying cheaply, usually ends up in buying multiples, looking for the right one. Before you know it, you've spent the £same as the expensive custom route and still no closer to the desired effect.
    I agree. Mock croc looks mock and is nonsense.

Equally, however, spending £300+ on a leather strap - which is a consumable - surely doesn't make too much sense, either.

A strap is, after all, nothing more than 2 very small pieces of leather, some padding, 2 linings, some stitching and a buckle, assembled with no more skill than a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    ...spending £300+ on a leather strap - which is a consumable - surely doesn't make too much sense, either.
    Can't argue with that, but after a quick configuration on the CF website, a fully spec'd, custom, rubber lined Alligator is coming in at £178. That significantly beats the OEM pricing which is more likely around the £300 mark.

Christian, I've previously posted about the Camille Fournet ordering and overall service. Perhaps that can help make your mind up whether it's worth the extra or not.

Could you post a pic of the watch and the lug width?

And then, assuming you want a leather strap - brown or black? Contrast or matching stitching? Or none at all?

Craftsman
    Seriously? the best leather straps I have ever used are Fossil ones. I know there a fashion brand but the straps are really god quality.

Leather NATO straps in various colours come in 22m, which fit 20mm lugs nicely, and two thicknesses.

They also do a great quality Bund style leather strap in 22mm and some two piece leather stitched straps.

I get mine from the Fossil outlet store in Gunwarf Quay in Portsmouth, usually for under £20.

Don't be put off buy the price I've used much more expensive ones that were far lower quality.

Have a look at Jacob Straps. He does all sorts of great straps and will do bespoke too. Not cheap, but not too dear and sent from Spain.

Timely thread. I bought a GO Senator Observer two weeks ago but don't love the Louisiana Alligator strap it came on - too shiny for my taste. I've been thinking about ordering a custom strap from CF too. I have a JLC on an OEM croc strap and they're made by CF. Really nice quality and worth the investment IMHO.

I get my straps from Peter.watchacc.

His work can be viewed on his facebook page here ; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Watch...02634479808387 and he can be contacted via peter.watchacc@gmail.com

Peters work is at least equal to OEM standard imo and he can allow you a range of customisation options, Colour, length, width, thickness, stitching, lining etc.
    His prices are higher than a Fossil strap but are less than 50% of a similar OEM strap from Omega/IWC or similar premium makers etc.

Master
    Crocodile, sizes from 12-20mm, £47 including post.

Thanks for the recommendations - plenty to be investigating!

Tinker - do you have a link to the seller?

I've had a couple of straps made by Peter Watch Acc and couldn't recommend him highly enough. Bespoke alligator for $180 is not to be sneezed at and bespoke is the only way if you have a special request such as a more extreme taper for a vintage watch or an odd lug size.

In terms of readymades, don't overlook the Bellini alligators from Cousins as they certainly very good value for an exotic skin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations - plenty to be investigating!

Tinker - do you have a link to the seller?
    http://www.royallondonwatches.com/watchstraps_home.aspx

A good jeweller (10th generation), who's very interested in watches, has an excellent eye for a strap-to-watch match and will sell/order/commission Condor (and Hirsch!) straps at good prices is Dilpesh. He owns Eskay Jewellers in Leicester and is on 0116 271 8611 and at askdel@yahoo.com

(I have no commercial connection with the guy, other than I'm one of his customers, I buy straps from him and he's done other jewellery work for me.)

I bought a Toshi strap for my Everest & that's been great

Grand Master
    The days of paying a lot for watch straps are over for me.

Just because a strap is genuine croc doesn`t mean it'll last well; they vary in quality a lot, and it isn`t always related to price.

I think there's a 'warm feeling' thing going on here, judging by some of the comments; a decent quality strap can be bought for £13-£20, or less. I always buy Cousins' own brand straps and I`ve yet to be disappointed. I like to replace them when they get scruffy; swapping a cheap strap more often makes more sense to me.

Some folks will always go for the expensive straps and the warm feeling that goes with it.....I`m not one of them, but I used to be.

Paul

I'm a fan of the Rios 1931 croc pattern calf straps- watchbandcenter sell them for approx 23 euros and they are really good vfm for everyday wear. Also have a genuine alligator or 2 from TWB (the watch boys) also excellent and as good imho as a genuine IWC strap.

As an aside, that grey Jean Rousseau was an off the shelf strap; their custom made crocs are £160 or so and made in London.

Can pick all the same options as Camille Fournet without the language barrier ;)

Another recommendation for Camille Fournet here. While they're not a bargain, I think they're fairly priced for the quality, and that you get what you pay for with their product.

Atelier du Bracelet Parisien is another one that comes up regularly in these discussions. I've visited their Saint Honoré atelier, but didn't find anything compelling. I wasn't terribly impressed with them for the money, to be honest. I suppose they're an option for those seeking something like neon green sharkskin with purple contrast stitching.
    Last edited by Belligero; 5th November 2014 at 09:22.

I've been in a similar situation, pondering strap quality recently.

Is it the concensus that it's safe to say, after liking pictures of a watch/strap combo, then trying it out with, say, a £12 Cousins gator embossed calf strap and finding that it just doesn't 'click' for me, then I'm not likely to be any happier with a £150 Camille genuine article?

Master
    Just had a quick look on the Camille Fournet website and the price soon starts racking up when you go through the options, definitely one for special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Just had a quick look on the Camille Fournet website and the price soon starts racking up when you go through the options, definitely one for special occasions.
    I still have the original Camille-Fournet-produced/GP-labeled croc strap on this watch, and it's held up quite nicely over years of regular wear in rotation.

This Reverso was also furnished on CF-made crocodile and I suspect it would have endured just as well if I'd kept the watch... or better because of having a deployant clasp.

The product is plenty tough enough for regular wear, in my experience. No need to save it for special occasions, and a clasp will increase the durability even further.

We all understand that the right strap can transform a watch, but learning what goes with what has for me been a protracted matter of trial and error.
    It helps if the watch suits you in the first place - trying to find a strap which will make an oversized watch appear discrete isn't easy for example.

Yes I knew that as luxury goods, the laws of diminishing returns often apply - but it was only when I realised I could have bought a pair of shoes for the price of my new alligator strap, that I came to my senses. OK, so there is a case for a nice strap for your special watch, but now I'm getting the hang of it, I don't see the need to spend big money on casual wearers.
    I have used Watchbandcenter quite a lot, and from there my favoured brand is now Rios - but they offer a huge range of other brands.
    From WatchObsession my two current favourite Hirsch Straps are the versatile Camelgrain and the splendid Lucca.
    Uhrband24 have been helpful to me in obtaining non-standard 19mm sharkskin and shell cordovan straps too.
    Eddie's straps provide great value for money at their price point.
    I have wasted a lot of money on watch straps, but I now think that it was the only way for me to learn.

Master
    Just 'created' a Camille Fournet crocodile strap: http://www.camillefournet.com/en/cre...ur-watch-strap

Chose cheapest/basic/standard for each of the 14[!] components/options.

270 Euros.

Last edited by Tinker; 5th November 2014 at 21:27.

Thanks again everyone who has contributed....so many options to investigate! Post more suggestions if you have any!

Master
    I've got an Omega OEM Alligator strap on my Constellation. A lovely strap indeed but I shudder at the replacement cost when the time comes!

I think I will be going down the Hirsch route in the end, good straps at a reasonable price. I've had a couple on other watches and am very pleased with them.

Just 'created' a Camille Fournet crocodile strap: http://www.camillefournet.com/en/cre...ur-watch-strap

Chose cheapest/basic/standard for each of the 14[!] components/options.

270 Euros.
    Eh? How did you manage that..?

Alligator comes in at 200 Euros, or 220 with rubber lining. You must have added expensive options, certainly not the "cheapest/basic/standard".

Calf starts at 80 Euros, Caiman and Lizard look to be good lower cost skins over Alligator, but I'm quite partial to a Tan Ostrich at 130.

Master
    Eh? How did you manage that..?

Alligator comes in at 200 Euros, or 220 with rubber lining. You must have added expensive options, certainly not the "cheapest/basic/standard".

Calf starts at 80 Euros, Caiman and Lizard look to be good lower cost skins over Alligator, but I'm quite partial to a Tan Ostrich at 130.
    Read what I wrote. Not "Alligator" ... "crocodile".

Read what I wrote. Not "Alligator" ... "crocodile".
    I did, and concluded you were mistaken.

I see no crocodile on the drop down menu, and never have.

Master
    http://www.fabercutis.com/shop/fr/

Excellent quality for exotics IMHO.

Master
    I did, and concluded you were mistaken.

I see no crocodile on the drop down menu, and never have.
    You're right. I was wrong.

Mind you, alligator is still 270 Euros.

You're right. I was wrong.

Looks like I made a mistake, too; it seems that CF straps pictured above are alligator.

There's a very informative thread (particularly the posts by ippon20) for those who are interested: Croc vs. Alligator

In any case, the one on the GP dates from around 2000, so I'm happy enough with it and wouldn't hesitate to get another when replacement time comes, diminishing returns and all.

Must be the special 'Tinker' only price point, because everyone else pays 200

Master
    Must be the special 'Tinker' only price point, because everyone else pays 200
    I just clicked down the 14 options, choosing (what I thought was) the cheapest of each one. It came to 270 Euros.

My next question is deployants...I realise that tang buckles wear straps badly. I'm not really willing to spend hundreds on a GO deployant, so am thinking about buying a cheap SS aftermarket version. Question is...if I've spent a fair bit on a strap, does this 'cheapen' the watch as a whole or is it just a practical way to wear it, with the original tang buckle in the box! To put it another way, how integral to a watch is the signed buckle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    My next question is deployants...I realise that tang buckles wear straps badly. I'm not really willing to spend hundreds on a GO deployant, so am thinking about buying a cheap SS aftermarket version. Question is...if I've spent a fair bit on a strap, does this 'cheapen' the watch as a whole or is it just a practical way to wear it, with the original tang buckle in the box! To put it another way, how integral to a watch is the signed buckle!
    Tang buckles do bugger straps and there don't seem to be any good quality aftermarket deployants.

The only 'solution' with a tang seems to be to treat straps as disposable, buying good ones for fair money and replacing them quite often (without 'strap changing marks', of course).

Obvious, I know, but what else can you do?

To extend strap life, however, there's certainly a market for a good aftermarket deployant.
    Last edited by Tinker; 6th November 2014 at 15:20.

Tang buckles do bugger straps and there don't seem to be any good quality aftermarket deployants.

The only 'solution' with a tang seems to be to treat straps as disposable, buying good ones for fair money and replacing them quite often (without 'strap changing marks', of course).

Obvious, I know, but what else can you do?

To extend strap life, however, there's certainly a market for a good aftermarket deployant.
    Plus OEM deployants seem to be horrendously priced! A small piece of SS with a manufacture logo etched on costs hundreds!

I've just ordered a cheap SS push button opening butterfly from eBay. Not sure whether I'll eventually use it because putting the GO tang buckle back in the box seems like not wearing a part of the watch!

Sinn offers a reasonably-priced and well-made stainless deployant, and the logo is light enough to brush out easily.

Clasps are much easier on hides on than buckles. A further benefit of stashing the clasp is that it's typically the part of the watch that's most exposed to scratches.
    Last edited by Belligero; 6th November 2014 at 16:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Sinn offers a reasonably-priced and well-made stainless deployant, and the logo is light enough to brush out easily.
    A pic?

I remember from "Java" and "Cyrusir", that the Rios Ardillon Pusher Clasps are some of the best aftermarket ones available.

Although, the voices in my head won't allow me to use anything other than an OEM deployant

Although, the voices in my head won't allow me to use anything other than an OEM deployant
    I think I've got those same voices!

Master
    How much are these, then?

Master
    How much are these, then?

Thanks to PJS, I can quote this post from Realisy on http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=345092

"Rios Ardillon pusher clasp. Ordered, arrived, disappointed.

I just have received the Rios Ardillon pusher clasp from the watch style. After almost spending 130 dollors after duties and shipping cost, I am very disappointed at the build quality of the clasp. Here are some pictures.

Couple reasons why I think this item does not justify its price. For nearly costing me 130 dollors, it shouldn't have had....

1.welding points are sharp (see picture)
    2. Linkage points are wobbly just like the $5 ebay chinese clasps
    3. Aside from little heft, construction of this item is subpar to even many cheaper oem clasps. (Citizen, seiko)

If this was on sale at my go to rolex or other watch AD for $70, I would have laughed at it. I can just get the rolex tang for the same money.
    I bit the bullet to order this after some favorable review on one of the rolex forums... internet is just a internet. 99% reality marketing. 1% real people review.

Maybe I will try highly regarded RHD deployment next time... hope that doesn't disappoint.

Bottom line:
    Dont waste your money.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk"
    Last edited by Tinker; 8th November 2014 at 11:25.