closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The worst thing I've found about the Tudor Pelagos...

Master

The worst thing I've found about the Tudor Pelagos...

...is that the stock bracelet and strap just don't work for me I have a smaller flatter wrist, and as the bracelet links are quite long it ends up looking like 50p piece at the sides - not a great look. I also find the clasp technically brilliant but bloody huge, and the fact it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the bracelet annoys the hell out of me. The rubber works OK in the wrist hugging department, but the large buckle doesn't sit flat on the strap and so it sticks out a mile. Again, not a great look either. So it seems that nobody beats Omega for bracelet and strap fit for my wrist.

I was so unimpressed with the Pelagos OEM strap options that I was considering flipping it, even though I love the dial/hands and the fact it's titanium. Fortunately it fits and looks a million dollars on one of Eddie's NATOs, so today I think I've made it a keeper

Banned
    you might consider trading that for an Explorer 1 - will be a much better fit on your wrist.

Master
    No thanks, I don't like Mercedes hands, GMT hands or Rolex pricing!

Banned
    so find an alternative then, my point being that 36mm would suit you better. There are plenty to choose from.

Master
    I do like the Pelagos dial. Interestingly, removing the bracelet places more emphasis on the dial and makes it look better IMO.

I see what you mean, its a great looking watch though you have very slim wrists, good that you've found a working compromise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I do like the Pelagos dial. Interestingly, removing the bracelet places more emphasis on the dial and makes it look better IMO.
    Yes it does, and the dial/hands are the best bits

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    so find an alternative then, my point being that 36mm would suit you better. There are plenty to choose from.
    Again, no thanks! I'll stick with my Omega POCs and the Pelagos - I don't like small watches.

Banned
    that is, of course, your prerogative. maybe take up eating more pies and beer then, that will help expand the wrist nicely!

Interesting. I've been considering selling my PO to fund a Pelagos, because I find Omega's lack of clasp adjustment really annoying. Plus I'm starting to get worried about scratching the outer AR coating, which would annoy the hell out of me.

I've seen this complaint of the Pelagos (& the TBB) on 2 or 3 forums, is it because a half link is not included?

Master
    I think a half link would certainly help. I don't think Tudor make one though do they?

Master
    Handsome, handsome watch. Particularly like the milled bezel.

OP, have you tried yours on mesh or leather?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Handsome, handsome watch. Particularly like the milled bezel.

OP, have you tried yours on mesh or leather?
    Nope, I've not I'm afraid. I'm definitely not a mesh fan and leather on a dive watch doesn't sit right with me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Nope, I've not I'm afraid. I'm definitely not a mesh fan and leather on a dive watch doesn't sit right with me!
    A pity, perhaps?

Why not try a Hirsch performance? I have a Robby on my U1 which came with a pvd buckle (which doesn't clash with the dull tegimented steel if the watch head) - rally comfortable and waterproof, I think they do a model in plain black and there are various versions but all very nice indeed, waterproof and with a 36 month warranty which isn't bad for a strap!

I think a half link would certainly help. I don't think Tudor make one though do they?
    Unfortunately not, I enquired about a half link and was told that the do not produce one on the Tudor range.

The adjustments on the bracelet are either that little too tight or little too loose.

I now have my BB Blue on the NATO and it looks the business, really sets the bezel off.

I've seen a Pelagos on one of Eddies new grey NATOs on here recently and thought it looked rather good
    Last edited by clemenry; 10th November 2014 at 17:37.

Master
    Out of interest what size is your wrist, if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering buying a Pelagos but don't want to be faced with the same issues you have explained here. Mine wrist is about 7", but also fairly flat in profile. I am very comfortable with 42mm watches in general and prefer bracelets as a rule. It is a little worrying then to hear of your woes.

This seems a shame. one of the key selling points of the Pelagos seemed to be it's 'dive friendly' bracelet. I must admit to being partial to a well designed bracelet as adding a lot the overall aesthetic of a watch, so seeing a large part of my potential purchase negated in common criticism would be a concern. It does however, look a good size on your wrist and great on a strap. Glad you could work things out between you!

Master
    Odd, when I had mine I found there was plenty of adjustment at the clasp end using the sliding bitsy whatsit...

Master
    There's plenty of adjustment in the clasp, that's true but I can see how you'd fall between sizes. The difference between an extra link and the spring loaded clasp setting is huge.

Craftsman
    For me, the Pelagos looks good on the Nato Strap - very toolish.
    The other point: the Pelagos is a heavy watch for Titan - 148gr.
    Much lighter on the Nato, I think around 100gr?
    Last edited by corto; 10th November 2014 at 18:39.

The P (& the TBB) have 3 micro adjustment points on the clasp, not great impo [but Omega owners might disagree!!!]

The spring loaded clasp is designed for wrist expansion, when diving & is engaged using a different setting on the glasp. Over on WUS I've read about people using the spring loaded bit for daily wear (to get a good fit) and I haven't personally tried it, but I would imagine that it grips the wrist quite snuggly. This might not be the fit and feel the OP is looking for and imo not what this function was designed for

Master
    Ah, I think thats what I had it on, the unlocked springy bit, its been a while!

Great on the Nato though, looking good :)

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Out of interest what size is your wrist, if you don't mind me asking?
    6.5" but very flat, as the top where watches sit is 2.125" wide.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corto View Post
    For me, the Pelagos looks good on the Nato Strap - very toolish.
    The other point: the Pelagos is a heavy watch for Titan - 148gr.
    Much lighter on the Nato, I think around 100gr?
    It's 97g with Nato, 138g with bracelet.

I have had larger watches which I couldn't get to sit very comfortably on my 7 inch wrist, eg. PRS3 on a bracelet was either too tight or too loose. I seem to be lucky with the Tudor Black Bay as I've managed to get the bracelet bang on and its the most comfortable watch I've had.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    The spring loaded clasp is designed for wrist expansion, when diving & is engaged using a different setting on the glasp. Over on WUS I've read about people using the spring loaded bit for daily wear (to get a good fit) and I haven't personally tried it, but I would imagine that it grips the wrist quite snuggly. This might not be the fit and feel the OP is looking for and imo not what this function was designed for
    The springy setting only works if your wrist size is between links. It doesn't help with the shape of the bracelet and how it wraps around a smaller wrist.

I find Omega PO bracelets much, much better even without a micro adjust feature. The individual links are smaller, plus with two half links you can get a really great fit.

Grand Master
    I find Omega PO bracelets much, much better even without a micro adjust feature. The individual links are smaller, plus with two half links you can get a really great fit.
    I had this with an Eterna - no micro adjust but several 2/3rd links supplied. Happily it fitted me just fine, though.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

No thanks, I don't like Mercedes hands, GMT hands or Rolex pricing!
    I like everything about the Pelagos, except the hands. Can't quite come to terms with that huge square just lobbed on the hour hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    I like everything about the Pelagos, except the hands. Can't quite come to terms with that huge square just lobbed on the hour hand.
    That seems to be the most common complaint, I personally love how it subtly differentiates it from the minute hand ;-)

Master
    I think it's a great looking watch and looks fantastic on leather. Nato makes it look cheap!

Banned
    Both the bracelet and rubber work really well on the Pelagos.

I owned one for six months and then no doubting it wears big and my wrist is bigger than yours at 7.5".

That said, imho, the Nato feels good but only as a fad. If I couldn't wear at least one OEM option, I'd sell it.

Apprentice
    I love the hands and the simple, clean, design of this watch. Looks great on both leather and NATO!

Blog Entries
    Sorry ...does look too big although perhaps the angle distorts slightly :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    That said, imho, the Nato feels good but only as a fad. If I couldn't wear at least one OEM option, I'd sell it.
    Interesting comment Burnsey, we'll see how I get on I guess. I've been spoiled by my Omega POC 9300 OEM straps and bracelets, suprisingly for such a large watch nothing else comes close to their fit for my wrist size and shape.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Sorry ...does look too big although perhaps the angle distorts slightly :)
    It's the fisheye lens of my mobile phone, the lugs are within the width of my wrist.

It's the fisheye lens of my mobile phone, the lugs are within the width of my wrist.
    Nothing lies like a mobile phone photo. I discovered this when I took a pic of my 18A on wrist. It appears that the lugs extend over the edge of my wrists when in actual fact there is a good distance between the end of the lugs and the edge of the wrist.

Banned
    May i express my gratitude to the folks here for this amazing insight?

I have utilised this new found knowledge to take updated photos of my gentleman's sausage and have already had a number of breathlessly excited queries from some fine young fillies on that wonderful website: smokingwaitressesboredbyoldpervswithrussianwatches .com!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    May i express my gratitude to the folks here for this amazing insight?

I have utilised this new found knowledge to take updated photos of my gentleman's sausage and have already had a number of breathlessly excited queries from some fine young fillies on that wonderful website: smokingwaitressesboredbyoldpervswithrussianwatches .com!
    Is that a Spanish website?

Journeyman
    It looks far too big for your wrist which cheapens the look imo.
    It's very possible the NATO makes it look worse because of the relative thinness of the strap?

Master
    Another solution might be collagen wrist implants? :-)

Banned
    There are a number of wrist exercises one can do to increase ones girth...

Master
    Here's a shot that gives a better perspective of the size, I personally don't think it's too big for me:

Here's a shot that gives a better perspective of the size, I personally don't think it's too big for me:

Looks grand to me
    Wear her with pride and in good health
    :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it on the NATO, reminds me of a jlc navy seal which is no bad thing!

Be interested to see it on a quality rubber too.

Banned
    Looks great!

Master
    Size looks fine to me.

Master
    Thanks guys, camera phones don't work so good for close ups do they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I like it on the NATO, reminds me of a jlc navy seal which is no bad thing!

Be interested to see it on a quality rubber too.
    Was just thinking this - something along the lines of a Rubber B would look grand!

I'm a bit late to this, but having just bought a Pelagos in the past few months, I understand where Guitarfan is coming from. I like everything about the Pelagos, except the clasp. All very clever, but it's just a little too wide. I have a '7" and a bit' wrist with a flat profile but the width of the clasp prevents the 'wrap' of the bracelet from being smooth around the curve of the wrist.

I had the same issue with the Sinn U1 rubber's clasp, but discovered their smaller option. The bracelt is perfect! If Tudor did a less-clever, but smaller clasp I'd be very happy indeed.

I like a NATO too, Guitarfan, and it looks great - I think I'll give it a go now. Cheers.