closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'High End' steel watch decision

'High End' steel watch decision

As first world a problem as you're ever likely to come across here...

Several here know that I had a big sales campaign and reduced my collection hugely to get a Nautilus 5980 at a bargain price. The deal never happened, I bought a PP 5205 and I like it very much. But I still want the steel high end sports watch I always thought I was getting .

In my mind there are three; the Nautilus, the Royal Oak and the Overseas and only on their bracelets.

I can't afford the 5980, period. BUT I can afford a 5712 under certain circumstances; that is, I sell my PAM190 (Radiomir 8 Days). However for 5712 money I could buy both the VC Overseas Chrono and the Royal Oak chrono...

I've had a ROO and liked it BUT it wasn't a Nautilus so it got sold. If I bought another, I'd likely feel the same again. The VC Overseas I have liked from afar for a couple of years now and although it seems to be the least regarded of the trio, I think it's stunning.

Options:
    Sell the 190 and buy the 5712 (which isn't 'quite' the Nautilus I want but I like it more and more. Disappointing 60m WR means I wouldn't even wear it in the pool though)
    Buy a VC Overseas, keep the 190 and see how I like it. 150m WR, it's a proper sports watch.
    Sell the 190 and buy a VC in black and a Royal Oak Chrono in white. Awesome. But no Nautilus...

Thoughts? Sat in bed while my mind ponders my options!

Banned
    I've read it three times now and I still get to the conclusion that none of the choices leave you satisfied.

Therefore, I'd not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I've read it three times now and I still get to the conclusion that none of the choices leave you satisfied.

I guess that's option 4. You might well be right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

I think you have the perfect summary here... Unless you are completely convinced don't bother...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I think you have the perfect summary here... Unless you are completely convinced don't bother...
    I think I'm convinced by the VC. Ah well, no hurry it seems.

Master
    I really don't see what's so special about these Nautilus things. Alright, I haven't owned one, but I've handled several and they've always felt too light and flimsy, with hands that feature "wobble" etc.

The VC is a nice watch but the different-sized sub-dials would get my OCD, which leaves the ROC. I know I sold it but what a bloody stunning watch that is, in every respect. From feel to timekeeping and it was one of the few high end watches to always attract comment from people I know.

Saying that though, I agree with Steve, plus I think if you sell the PAM, you'll regret the decision as they're so rare.

I'd choose a scenario that allows you to keep the 190. A terrific watch that will be difficult to replace.

Master
    I'd lose the 190 and see how you like the VC for a while - you can always trade up to the Nautilus you really do want later on, and in the meantime you'll have satisfied your curiosity. But this is a matter of taste, I've never been interested in these PAMs, but you might see it differently. One thing is for sure though, the price differnce between the Nautilus and the Overseas is out of proportion with the difference in quality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What about a ROO diver? 300m.

I'd say though if you REALLY want that 5980 then wait until you can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I think I'm convinced by the VC. Ah well, no hurry it seems.
    "I THINK I'm convinced" !!!! You either are or your not!!!

The VC overseas is a lovely watch though.... Wouldn't take much to convince me!!!

Wait for a 5980. I can't see any other watch quite hitting the spot for you - maybe borrow one :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Wait for what you really want, nothing else is going to satisfy you long term.

The 190 is one of my favorite watches, I would never get rid of it. Also very hard to acquire again when you realize selling it was a mistake!

Don't spend a lot of money on a watch that isn't what you want. I think it will only delay you eventually getting the Nautilus you really want.

Btw, what do you think about the 5990?

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Btw, what do you think about the 5990?
    I want a blue dialled Nautilus (and one that comes in at £20k ;) )

I was quite uninspired by the look of it but the execution of the complication seems fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    One thing is for sure though, the price differnce between the Nautilus and the Overseas is out of proportion with the difference in quality.
    In terms of case, finish and water resistance, I agree. But comparing chronos, one is PP's first ever in-house chrono vs a bought-in low-beat movement from F. Piguet. Beautifully finished of course though and I really like the big date. Worth over double though is a big question, especially when I don't have double!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'd lose the 190 and see how you like the VC for a while
    The VC plan means the PAM gets to stay. And as much as I love that watch, I tend to find that once I have considered selling something, I stop wearing it and it inevitably goes.

Think I'll stick my nose in the VC boutique next week and have a close inspection. If I like it, it's off to C24 for me...

One day then I can trade it for the 5980 although the problem is they go up and up all the time! Cheapest out there is £26k'ish now :(

Master
    Perhaps it's as much about enjoying the journey as reaching the destination.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    This. I don't think there's any other realistic option unless you want to buy just for buying's sake.

Journeyman
    Your first line was perfect it is indeed a first world, which are fully acceptable so long as recognised!

Honestly keep the cash in the bank and wait for that great deal to appear on the 5980. Focus your attention not on what else you can buy but how you can get that great deal on the 5980, put the feelers out, work on what you are willing to sell to get it. Go for what you really want.

Of course, the key is finding someone who is about a year ahead of you in the cycle, has sold everything to get the 5980 and then decided it is not what they really wanted and are going to take a loss on it. :)

Master
    I want a blue dialled Nautilus (and one that comes in at £20k ;) )

I was quite uninspired by the look of it but the execution of the complication seems fantastic.
    Hopefully next year there will be a blue dialed 5990.

Master
    I'm sure you could move around something to let you scratch your VC 49150 curiosity, while you bide your time for the bargain PP to materialise once more.
    I can't recall the last time you posted in PH's Wristcheck thread, wearing the PAM – it's been everything else you've acquired and subsequently released back into the wild, so I wonder what the attachment is, when it rarely sees any usage?
    My point is that for as long as you believe all roads lead to the PP chrono, you'll not be satisfied with what you have, and may be hanging on to certain pieces when you could be consolidating and have the funds to allow you to make the PP leap a reality.....but then will you be truly satisfied with a smaller collection as a result?

When you compare the VC linked to the 5980 – I think you're completely daft to seriously be fixated about spending 4 times as much.
    You already have a PP in the 5205, so you've ticked that brand box (and the WG one at the same time), but if I can't help feel you only did so as a consolation for the 5890 deal falling through.
    So, would you not be contented with shifting a thing or two out, grab that VC, and just enjoy what you'll have without stressing that there's some race you need to cross the finishing line to?
    You'll have enough to deal with in a number of months time, which will keep you well occupied for the next 18 years, and more!

Thanks Phil and all good points.

I did buy the 5205 as the 5980 deal fell through; it meant I had the funds for something beautiful and by PP and I really struggle to keep money in my pocket. Job done and over the moon with it. Owning it also meant a few more could go that it unexpectedly replaced...

As to a smaller collection, I have less than 10 'great' pieces which is absurd in the real world but I'm down from 50+ I suppose. I wear the same faces it has to be said; one of the reasons the PAM doesn't get worn is perhaps familiarity, I'm lucky there is always something newer at the moment. It's a great watch though, perhaps the best Panerai have made, I wonder if I keep it because of that.

Either way, to buy the VC I don't have to shift the PAM; if I don't fall in love with the VC, then maybe I can work towards the 5980 with both of them. The final amount could come from my gold Reverso 8 Days... But I'm not ready for that. But there are no more cash inputs, that's a fact :)

Master
    Well then, if you can afford the VC I linked to, whilst keeping the PAM and whatever else you're fond of, I'd encourage you to do so.
    Worry about the 5980 down the line, you've an important bundle of excitement that'll focus your attention more than glitzy baubles. Best of luck to you....
    Last edited by PJ S; 22nd November 2014 at 18:18.

Master
    Sell the 190 and buy a VC in black and a Royal Oak Chrono in white. Awesome.
    This.......

But then I'm likely to be biased given my most recent addition

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    This.

Banned
    What Burnsey and Numberjack said.

Craftsman
    I'd wait for what you want mate.
    The VC overseas are just stunning though, my online browses usually are usually ending up on chrono24 at the minute looking at them!

Master
    if you can have a go with the VCO and/or APRO for the right money, you should be able to move them on if they don't scratch that itch. you know you'll eventually go back to the PP in some shape or form though but maybe best to wait it out and go for the grail.

love the other PP

Believe it or not, this thread did actually make me come to a decision; it's the 5980. Somehow.

The process of thinning out continues, and I really hoped that thise which will have to go were keepers.

Current hitlist; 16618 gold Sub, PAM 190 and after a long hard look at what's in the box... Either my Blancpain FF Complete Calendar OR my gold Reverso Grande Reserve 8 days.

This can be a painful hobby :(

Master
    Great decision.

Going for what you want always works out whether it is all you were hoping for or not.

Keep the BP calendar and let the Reverso go. You would be mad IMO to do anything else.

May be painful in some ways but think of what you will end up with !!

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Keep the BP calendar and let the Reverso go. You would be mad IMO to do anything else.
    The BP is rare and I do get a lot of wear out of it... But I have NEVER seen another Reverso like mine.

They'll both get an outing next week while I make some calls about 5980s. Cheapest on C24 in UK is in Mayfair at almost 27k, there's one in Heilbronn (Germany) for £23k and change. I shall be onto them first thing, it's probably an old ad at that price.

I've got the Nautilus and the AP RO. Both stunning watches, but I probably slightly prefer the former because it's a lot more versatile. Both iconic watches though. I've also got a blue dial VC Overseas Chrono, which I don't wear nearly as much as the first two. The bracelet is a work of art, but otherwise it feels fairly unassuming in comparison to the PP and AP. It's probably getting quite close to being flipped tbh.

Master
    That one is 2008 (and £24K) – this one is 2013 (missing certificate though) .
    Not knowing the cost of servicing the chrono version, I can't help feel with a bit of hard bargaining, that the newer one would make more sense – especially if the older and cheaper one hasn't had it done or was a couple of years ago.

Dark horse? – 2008 but NOS, and purchase via C24 themselves.

As you're in for a penny, you may as well be in for a pound – and find out the age of this one or the serial number to ask PP for the DOM/sale, if they don't know.

I think you should hold out for a 5980. My grail.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    That one is 2008 (and £24K) – this one is 2013 (missing certificate though) .
    Not knowing the cost of servicing the chrono version, I can't help feel with a bit of hard bargaining, that the newer one would make more sense – especially if the older and cheaper one hasn't had it done or was a couple of years ago.

Dark horse? – 2008 but NOS, and purchase via C24 themselves.

As you're in for a penny, you may as well be in for a pound – and find out the age of this one or the serial number to ask PP for the DOM/sale, if they don't know.
    Heh. Can't open the links on my phone but you can always be expected to find some better bargains than me :)

Well that's everyone on C24 selling one under 26k contacted... let's see what happens!

Master
    Well that's everyone on C24 selling one under 26k contacted... let's see what happens!
    Good for you if you can afford and you want it, why not Lewis? :-) Can't wait to see photos of it. I'm not a PP fan but that one on SC recently was totally incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Good for you if you can afford and you want it, why not Lewis? :-)
    If I could afford it, I wouldn't have asked the question Wayne! Just need to figure out a way. Watch box is looking very empty these days...

Journeyman
    Believe it or not, this thread did actually make me come to a decision; it's the 5980. Somehow.

The process of thinning out continues, and I really hoped that thise which will have to go were keepers.

Current hitlist; 16618 gold Sub, PAM 190 and after a long hard look at what's in the box... Either my Blancpain FF Complete Calendar OR my gold Reverso Grande Reserve 8 days.

This can be a painful hobby :(
    Good call! Take your time over the sales it's always so much harder to pick up the perfect watch than it is to sell them (it so easy to give advice we would never follow ourselves!). The reverso sounds really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoki View Post
    Good call! Take your time over the sales it's always so much harder to pick up the perfect watch than it is to sell them (it so easy to give advice we would never follow ourselves!). The reverso sounds really nice.
    As I said, never seen another one in gold... Tough call actually as a stainless Nautilus >might< replace the Blancpain. But I wear it frequently and the Reverso is only rolled out occasionally and it's one of a few dressier watches nowadays.

Your (albeit first world) dilemma is familiar to most. Good luck with your search and I think you've gotta go for the 5980, that's the one you really want. I spent 2 years looking for a good 190, and each time one got in reach the price seemed to move further away from me- don't sell it, unless to me (and then I'd still have to get rid of something I love!).

All that being said, your thread does raise an interesting point about watch collecting, and that is selling something you have an emotional attachment to can be tricky. Some people seem to do it with ease but I can tell that some of your watches have a greater value to you than their actual cost. I just thought I'd say that I think that although it can make decisions difficult, that is the way I think it should be.

In terms of postage for a 25k+ watch, are we looking in the region of Eu350 to ship it insured from Italy?? As that's a quote I've had!

If it it, then so be it, but blimey...

Journeyman
    Very nice. A rose gold reverso is at the top of my dress watch wish list. I have a few steps to go before I get there though. I actually quite like the idea of starting with a steel one and then one day - once I have earned it -upgrading to the rose gold.

Have a dealer watch offered, full set including delivery at £23.4k.

Hmm.

It will cost me my Blanpain FF however and that really is a nightmare scenario :(

For this sort of money I suggest a fast car and hookers :)

I had on my wrist 2 days ago the VC Overseas chrono with Ti bezel on a rubber strap and also the dual time in stainless on a bracelet
    these, for me are the current ultimate.The bracelet is sublime imho.
    I know I'm supposed to like PP for what they are, but I just don't get them (yet?) and AP have just a whiff of overpaid footballer or Rap singer for my liking (although a safari would be nice)
    may well go for a non chrono VC on a bracelet at some point soon......
    Goat

Master
    Its good to see that PP, AP & VC, the 'Big Three', are still at the heart of the debate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    For this sort of money I suggest a fast car and hookers :)
    My opinion is that public transportation is more than adequate.

Master
    Have a dealer watch offered, full set including delivery at £23.4k.
    Hmm.
    It will cost me my Blanpain FF however and that really is a nightmare scenario :(
    How come? Part-ex, wasn't interested in the Reverso, or worth more, so less cost to change?