closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 1822

Thread: Formula 1 2014

Blog Entries
    I knew his record wasn't at all comparable but I hadn't realised Nico has only won 8 races throughout his whole career spanning back to 2006. Considering Hamilton has 10 wins this season alone it's surprising the likes of Eddie Jordan still believe he's a worthy championship winner.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    So vettel and ricciardo starting from the back of the grid tomorrow due to using an illegal front wing today.
    Amazing that a caffeinated soft drink can produce so much money that produces a very rich F1 team that produces illegal parts on cars ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Ok, I am leaving the lounge now...
    Good.
    Can you keep out of it for the 2015 season please?
    Also the 2016 through to 2099.
    Thanks and enjoy your not watching the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I knew his record wasn't at all comparable but I hadn't realised Nico has only won 8 races throughout his whole career spanning back to 2006. Considering Hamilton has 10 wins this season alone it's surprising the likes of Eddie Jordan still believe he's a worthy championship winner.
    Agreed, and yet thanks to the farce that is double points he's in in with a real shot of being WDC. Crazy.

Nico's father became World Champion in a season during which he won only a single race. I have never heard anybody complain that he was not a worthy Champion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Nico's father became World Champion in a season during which he won only a single race. I have never heard anybody complain that he was not a worthy Champion.
    In fairness there were 11 different winners that year and none of them won more than 2 races.

Go Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Agreed, and yet thanks to the farce that is double points he's in in with a real shot of being WDC. Crazy.
    It's not a farce, it is THE RULES. Don't like it? don't take part.
    On top of that it really doesn't change things that much: If Lewis doesn't have a problem, he'll be world champion. If he does have a problem, he won't. simples.

Credit must go to Mercedes though, I do not think there has ever been a championship where both drivers of the same team were the only ones in contention for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's not a farce, it is THE RULES. Don't like it? don't take part.
    On top of that it really doesn't change things that much: If Lewis doesn't have a problem, he'll be world champion. If he does have a problem, he won't. simples.

Credit must go to Mercedes though, I do not think there has ever been a championship where both drivers of the same team were the only ones in contention for the title.

1988 season comes to my mind when Senna and Prost (McLaren) won all but one race (Berger @ Ferrari).

I hope Rosberg or Bottas to win the race.
    I don't like double points but as mentioned rules are the rules and both are worth of the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Keke View Post
    1988 season comes to my mind when Senna and Prost (McLaren) won all but one race (Berger @ Ferrari).
    True, my apologies.

Good summing up of possible Rosberg tactics by Alain Prost speaking to DC...

No-one is talking about the important stuff: Suzie's skirt is causing an annoying strobing and Lee's golden top is too small.

Rosberg lost ERS, but last time that happened Lewis lost it as well and Rosberg finished and Lewis
    Didn't. Still squeaky bum time......

Yeah, now that's what we're talking about!

Well done, Lewis!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Well done Lewis. Glad it was not decided on double points

What a man.

Many many congratulations to Lewis. Best driver this year by far.

Good class shown by Nico - he repaired a lot of bridges today.

World Champions and Sportsman of the Year.

Hamilton

Not the watch the driver!

World Champion!! Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    What a man.

Many many congratulations to Lewis. Best driver this year by far.

Good class shown by Nico - he repaired a lot of bridges today.

World Champions and Sportsman of the Year.
    Absolutely, well done and congratulations to Lewis, best driver won it, and he
    Deserves to be a double world champion for his performances over the years

Respect to Nico, was prepared to give it everything even though he must have
    known his chances were gone and wanted to take the car to the flag.

I'd have liked to see Rosberg win but Hamilton deserved it.

Now to buy some of these to celebrate!

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/9ct-Whit...gs/p/12152124/

And just to wave the flag a bit, congratulations to Jolyon Palmer and Alex Lynn, F1/GP2/GP3 championships all won by Brits.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd have liked to see Rosberg win but Hamilton deserved it.

Now to buy some of these to celebrate!

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/9ct-Whit...gs/p/12152124/
    That made me laugh!

I couldn't relax until Lewis had crossed the line, a deserving race and championship winner. Great interview with Button on the Beeb aswell.

I would.

Rosberg only won 5 GP' in his entire career. Arnoux, Elio, Nelson, Mansell, all better drivers. Alan Porst have 8 retirements that session after winning the first 2 GP's. Rosberg was effectively the last man standing . Rosberg was talented, but everyone who gets in to a F1 is talented.

But another discussion for another day. Today is all about Lewis.

Many congrats to Lewis. Fantastic off the line and, barring a DNF, he was going to win the race whatever. Nico pushed him hard this year, but the right driver is now the champion

Great start from Lewis, which made me feel a little more relaxed during the race. A shame Rosberg had problems but Lewis had already won it

Good to see the Williams pair on the podium and Jenson get a good finish for hopefully not his last F1 race

So happy to see Lewis win his second championship and here's to another next year!

Bloody well done that lad, great news

Master
    Yes, justice was done. Well done Lewis.
    He has matured significantly during the year, and in that car he's going to take some beating in 2015. Nico was gracious in defeat, which did impress me and rather made up for the integrity-fade he suffered on a couple of occasions earlier in the year.

RBR are going to be the likely contenders as long as Renault can lift their game, and I hope Williams can keep their momentum up.

There's a big question mark over Ferrari and I doubt they'll come close to a win.

McLaren seem to be getting their aero act together recently, which is probably the Prodromou effect, but the key to next year for them is how good the McHonda powerpack is.

Today's result has greatly weakened Fernando's bargaining position because there's no way Lewis will now move so Fernando's got nowhere else to go - Ron may be getting a good deal, or else we may see JB in the car again next year, which would be pretty good IMHO for a development year.
    Last edited by drmarkf; 23rd November 2014 at 19:05.

Congratulations to Lewis on a well deserved title.

Now will he please stop wearing those bloody earrings.

Journeyman
    The (little bit) better driver has won, well done Lewis. Good that not the double points has decided the champion chip.

Bye, Klaus
    Last edited by Muffel; 23rd November 2014 at 19:01.

Master
    Excellent result, Hamilton has always had a little more speed in the actual races and IMO absolutely deserves the WDC.

Roll on next season!

Congratulations to Lewis and also the Williams team.

Only sour point was seeing that parasite Henry Windsor sucking up the limelight. What the hell has he got to do with any of it?

Blog Entries
    So justice was done in the end and the right person took the crown. Felt sorry for Nico but well on him for finishing the race even though the pit wanted to put him out of his misery.

The only thing I'm left disappointed with is that Lewis didn't dedicate the championship to Cilla, the most miserable former F1 fan on the planet. Something tells me we'll get more of that next year, as Vettel struggles with his new team.

Master

Cool

Thanks again to the pundits here who have enlivened and informed my race watching

Journeyman
    A strange season all round, but I think the right result in the end. Lewis drove incredibly well as dos Nico who also handled himself very well.

Hopefully the ridiculousness of double points will be finished with and next season will be about closer between the teams.

Ps I watched some of Abu Dhabi 2010 on the to this week and DRS really has done a lot for formula 1 in recent years. Watching Alonso and Webber crawl around unable to pass Petrov really pointed out what a difference it has made

Lewis, worthy champion indeed.

But I would like all the so called 'fans' to reflect on what the content of this thread would be if it was Lewis' car that had gone bad...
    The words 'conspiracy', 'rigged', 'shameful' would be peppering every post. Yet it would have been the same law of sport that saw NR unable to mount a decent challenge.

Master

Cool

But I would like all the so called 'fans' to reflect on what the content of this thread would be if it was Lewis' car that had gone bad...
    The words 'conspiracy', 'rigged', 'shameful' would be peppering every post. Yet it would have been the same law of sport that saw NR unable to mount a decent challenge.
    A good point

Didn't Hamilton have more mechanical issues than Rosberg? And any challenge today was over at the first corner.

I'm not a Hamilton fan generally but, given that it was a two horse race this year, he was the deserved winner.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Didn't Hamilton have more mechanical issues than Rosberg? And any challenge today was over at the first corner.

I'm not a Hamilton fan generally but, given that it was a two horse race this year, he was the deserved winner.
    Read again, please. The question is not that he is not a worthy winner: he definitely is.

The question is about the acceptance of NR's mechanical failure as being just a fact of the sport (which it is) against the pitchfork raising that would have occurred if it was LH's car that had suffered instead.

Excellent point - but after the initial ranting, bitching and moaning I am sure we would have moved on, but we would have never forgotten that Lewis had been robbed.

We have previous for seeing British drivers lose titles as a result of mechanical problems, bad luck and poor sportsmanship in the past, but we still come back next year to watch.

I know it's well past it's posting date, but I wanted to let you all know that on our way back from Sao Paulo, we met the entire pit team at the airport. They were on the same plane as us. You couldn't wish to meet a more down to earth bunch of lads... or maybe you wouldn't want to!

I spotted a large group of men wearing the same shirts and jeans and carrying the same carry on luggage. I asked the band which sports team they thought they were from.

After a while, I got chatting with one of the mechanics who spilt the beans....all travelling economy, but the drivers flew the night before in First Class, apparently.

Read again, please. The question is not that he is not a worthy winner: he definitely is.

The question is about the acceptance of NR's mechanical failure as being just a fact of the sport (which it is) against the pitchfork raising that would have occurred if it was LH's car that had suffered instead.
    OK, maybe I misread but I don't remember a huge call of 'conspiracy' when LH's car let him down earlier in the season. I've also seen the team as very even-handed over the course of the season. If LH's car had failed, I guess some people would have called conspiracy but they'd have been wrong.

It's hard to argue that Hamilton is anything other than a worthy Champion, especially when you look at his form and results during the second half of the season. He did everything that he had to do during the first half of the race today, and put himself in a position to take the title regardless of Rosberg's result. His start in particular was absolutely perfect.

I felt sorry for Rosberg. To qualify on pole, and start the race knowing that he stood a real chance of emulating his father and becoming World Champion and to then suffer mechanical failure must have been a crushing disappointment, and all credit to him for insisting on taking the car to the finish, and acting with great dignity afterwards.

I have been impressed by Williams, not only in this race, but throughout the season. It's good to see them back challenging for podiums, if not race wins, and their two drivers have performed well - Bottas is a star of the future, and Massa has shown that he can still run at the front, despite years of being wing man at Ferrari.

And on the subject of the Scuderia, they are in danger of looking like a pension policy for former World Champions. This year's car looks as though it was designed with reliability in mind, given that the new engine regs appeared to provide ample scope for gremlins, but even Renault got their act together after the fiasco of pre-season testing, and actually won three races. None of which went the way of Sebastian Vettel. Rumour du jour is that Ross Brawn may return to Maranello. They need somebody of his abilities and stature to take control if they are to return to winning ways.

The 2015 season is less than four months away. I'm looking forward to it already.

Thanks to Uncle Bernie's ridiculous double points, the history books will show that Lewis walked the title, thrashing Nico's points tally of 317, by his score of 384.
    Totally unrepresentative of the incredible championship that ran right to the wire.

Technical issues are part of modern motorsport - even more so given the cars complexity as the race series moves forward and teams try to get the odd 1/10th of a second advantage in any way they can. Lewis drove a calm and controlled race which he secured by a fabulous start off the line.

We have a British World Champion that is well deserved IMO.

I am SO looking forward to next season!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Rumour du jour is that Ross Brawn may return to Maranello.
    Eddie Jordan reckons that Brawn is going to head up the VW/Audi team when they enter F1 in 2016 or 2017.

PS Go Lewis!

Congratulations to Lewis, he deserved it today....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Thanks to Uncle Bernie's ridiculous double points, the history books will show that Lewis walked the title, thrashing Nico's points tally of 317, by his score of 384.
    Totally unrepresentative of the incredible championship that ran right to the wire.

True, however history books will still show Lewis won 11 races, Nico 6 races and Ricky 3 races.

So perhaps not so unrepresentative after all. But I agree double points suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Eddie Jordan reckons that Brawn is going to head up the VW/Audi team when they enter F1 in 2016 or 2017.

PS Go Lewis!

No, no. That was last month's rumour. The "Brawn to Ferrari" rumour is actually a rumour from a couple of months ago, which has been resurrected this weekend, having originally started back in the summer when Ross Brawn and a few friends happened to be on holiday in Norther Italy and happened to pay a visit to Maranello. The other rumour this weekend was another piece of rumour necrophilia, the one about Adrian Newey going to Ferrari, but I think that may have been wishful thinking, and probably started by Ferrari themselves because that's what they would like to happen.

Master
    Good to see the right result, a worthy winner and good sportsmanship by Rosberg. Congrats to Lewis