closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com
    Pretty confident in saying that not legit

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    I'm sure you're right :)

The 'chinglish' translations and the references to a completely different site in the 'about us' were the first two things I noticed, but I'm sure there are more :)

If I didn't already have a nubuck pair, these would be my choice. Full RRP is £160 which is not bad IMO.

[IMG]http://www.cloggs.co.uk/content/ebiz/cloggs/invt/5450/5450_rmedium.jpg[IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    Aye, whenever I click the contact us on sites like this and cant see a phone number or address I'm very suspicious

Depends what you're going to wear them for.

There are boots which are made to be boots.
    And then there are boots which are made for a short walk from the car to the pub/supermarket and may even be walked through puddles once in a while. .

I've tried Red wing after hearing the praise heaped on them. But they failed, fast.

My Timberlands are 23 years old.
    Used for just about everything, including riding my motorbike off road.

Tore the sole off while riding off road one day.

They've been worn while deep in water

And in deep mud

Had them resoled twice.
    Timberland didn't charge for the last resole because they were honoured they were still being worn and used as intended.

The new sole

And they relined the inner while they had them.

The newer Timberlands are very very comfortable, but unfortunately they don't make them like they used to, the original sole has a very very short life and can be slippy on some wet surfaces. I wore them out in less than six months.

But all is not lost, i had them resoled in Vibram. Thicker, flexible and with exceptional grip. I'm currently doing my best to wear them out but two years after resoling they are still in exceptional condition.

Last edited by steptoe; 11th December 2014 at 12:43.

^ quality post there Steptoe. Great stuff - you even managed a watch pic in there too :D

That's good to know. While I don't make a habit of wading in mine, they do get used for enthusiastic multi-terrain mooching / shooting / beachcombing and I appreciate brands that show customer care like you've described.

Right, Timberland it is then. I'm assuming the best of the current line up are the classic six inch jobbies rather than the TreeHugger range or similar?
    Last edited by kungfugerbil; 24th November 2014 at 21:46.

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Right, Timberland it is then. I'm assuming the best of the current line up are the classic six inch jobbies rather than the TreeHugger range or similar?
    I think 6" classic premium is the way to go. For me, the only Timberlands I'd buy, and I personally think these burnished brown are the nicest www.cloggs.co.uk/invt/5450 and a bit more forgiving when playing around in plenty of mud.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 24th November 2014 at 22:39.

Last winter I bought a pair of Clarks Fawley Hi fur-lined boots in nubuck, I think they were about 75 quid from Clarks website. They are possibly the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, they are very warm (it gets a bit nippy round the ankles on a Vespa) and 100% waterproof. I wear them with a suit or with jeans and they don't look out of place with either.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

The newer Timberlands are very very comfortable, but unfortunately they don't make them like they used to, the original sole has a very very short life and can be slippy on some wet surfaces. I wore them out in less than six months.
    Last year Timberland did a re-issue of your original Super Boot. Their "Tackhead" range are GYW models that come with proper Vibram soles as opposed to the EK stuff. The thing is, I've never seen those in any brick and mortar stores.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Last year Timberland did a re-issue of your original Super Boot. Their "Tackhead" range are GYW models that come with proper Vibram soles as opposed to the EK stuff. The thing is, I've never seen those in any brick and mortar stores.
    I've been wearing a pair of Tackheads for the past two winters (this will be the third). I do about 50 or 60 miles a week on pavements in them & have had them (Vibram) heeled once. Great boots, IMHO. They're much more worn-in than this stock photo.

I bought them off of a company on eBay that I'd bought classic 6" Timberlands from in the past. I tried these because I felt that the 6" aren't the boots that they once were.

I'm still loving my Loake Wharfdales...just over a year old now

Journeyman
    +1 for Timberlands

Master
    Here is a photo of my favourites:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Here is a photo of my favourites:

Alden 405?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Alden 405?
    Yes, with commando sole and full welt. Very comfortable shoes, warm enough in winter and good grip.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    These are boots. Boots for walking. Walking in bad weather and rough terrain. Not fashion items.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

Master
    ^ Indeed they are, these are what I wear for work on a daily basis and I wouldn't have it any other way. At some point in the new year I'll be sending them back to the factory for resoling, had them over 3 years during which time they've stood up to anything & everything that's been thrown at them, literally!

Just picked a pair of these up from the Timberland Store in Cambridge in the sale, very comfy and waterproof!

Master
    ^ Nice!

Still keen to try a pair of Thorogood moc toes if I can track them down.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    ^ Nice!

Still keen to try a pair of Thorogood moc toes if I can track them down.
    You'll be lucky to find a UK supplier. eBay is the best source.

Craftsman
    Does anyone on here have a pair of Fracap boots.
    I saw some in a shop in Bridlington but didn't try them on.
    I did like the style of them though.
    http://www.fracap.it/it/collezione.html#.VKVnxSusWSo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    You'll be lucky to find a UK supplier. eBay is the best source.
    I fear you're right, currently racking my brains for friends & family visiting the US; earliest so far is Easter.

Craftsman
    Can't beat grenson fred imo will be adding them to my small Grenson collection soon. Difficult to decide between standard and commando sole though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Can't beat grenson fred imo will be adding them to my small Grenson collection soon. Difficult to decide between standard and commando sole though!
    If standard is leather, the commando has to be the better practical option for a boot if you do any significant walking in the wet, even in town. Leather soles just won’t have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    If standard is leather, the commando has to be the better practical option for a boot if you do any significant walking in the wet, even in town. Leather soles just won’t have it.
    I've a pair of Fred's with commando soles and for winter wear, they are the only option. I can't imagine getting much traction in wet or icy conditions with leather soles. Leather soles will also absorb moisture giving you cold and potentially soggy feet. If the weather gets really miserable, it will be a pair of my Scarpa boots or the wellies.

Craftsman
    Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur, renovating cream. Fantastic stuff.

i have a pr of timbeland heritage very good ,i usually go for good english , croket and jones ect but these have proved very good!!

I found a pair of unworn Rogue RB5 in a charity shop for £15. Bargain. Never met the make before but seriously impressed and well worth a look.

Craftsman
    Just had these in from the states,

Got to say I'm impressed, fully shearling lined and snow sealed, bit of rough stitching around the toe box but I suppose that's me being picky.

Craftsman
    Loving my Red Wing 875 that I bought at new year (most likely because of this exact same thread), but not truly a winter boot, whilst I have not slipped yet i have well and truly polished the sole smooth through the summer months... good excuse to buy new boots :)

My trusty Buffalo Creeks - purchased in 1989.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just mink oiled my redwings ready for winter.
    Theyre the same age as I am and still on their original cork sole :D

Not much need for boots in the SW as it very rarely snows or gets cold enough to wear them, but I still fancy a pair of LL Bean Duck boots.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Not much need for boots in the SW as it very rarely snows or gets cold enough to wear them, but I still fancy a pair of LL Bean Duck boots.
    I don't see the need for them in SE either. Okay in the countryside but not the more formal styles that seem popular on TZ.

Many of us just like to wear formal looking boots! Nothing more compex than that.

I haven't owned a pair, from NPS, I only have Loakes, Trickers and had a pair of Sanders in the past.

I visited the NPS Solovair factory shop though, some good looking NPS shoes there I thought.

Just threw in G&G for comprehensiveness rather than likelihood although I forgot Alfred Sargent.

Got a pair of Bally curling boots - the most overrated shoes imo...

Master
    Watch this if you have 50 mins to kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKYK6HPJok

I don’t think you can beat a pair of Timberland 6 Inch Heritage boots. The black ones are new and unworn and the brown are ten years old and still worn regularly....

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I don’t think you can beat a pair of Timberland 6 Inch Heritage boots. The black ones are new and unworn and theythe brown are ten years old and still worn regularly....
    I have same anniversary brown boots which I wear to work but which are fairly scuffed due to the office chair base. I think I may need to polish them.

I also have Red wing chukkas which are 'smarter' for the office but not broken in like my Timberland boots.

They are fantastic boots. I have had Earthkeepers also but whilst they are comfortable and light, they wear out very quickly.

Apprentice
    This thread has resulted in me receiving a pair of Red Wing 3141 courtesy of the Postie. First impressions are great!

Interestingly though, in searching for where to buy online I came across ‘Offcuts’, a site dedicated to Office/Offsprings returns, ex-display and seconds. I picked the Red Wings up (with ever so slight fading to one) for less than half price.

First i’d heard of this site, so thought it worth sharing.

My first pair of Wolverine and I’m impressed....

I've had these for around fifteen years now, bought when Timberland still made quality boots. They've been worn thousands of times yet the heel and sole show hardly any wear and the leather is still excellent with no cracks or tearing from the join with the sole. They've just been waxed and coated with mink oil, ready for another few years of wear. I'd say that was £140 well spent.

The day I bought them in John Lewis there was an old fella trying a pair on next to me and he came in wearing his old sand colour boots that he'd had for 19 years!

Master
    I've had these for around fifteen years now, bought when Timberland still made quality boots. They've been worn thousands of times yet the heel and sole show hardly any wear and the leather is still excellent with no cracks or tearing from the join with the sole. They've just been waxed and coated with mink oil, ready for another few years of wear. I'd say that was £140 well spent.

The day I bought them in John Lewis there was an old fella trying a pair on next to me and he came in wearing his old sand colour boots that he'd had for 19 years!

timberland used to amazing, sadly they took a sharp decline in my experience I was lucky if a pair lasted 2 years which compared to how yours where obviously built is shocking

I've just slung a 25 -30 years old pair of Made in USA Timberland boots. Think I'm going to regret it, although I hadn't worn them for a while.

My new faves:
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 14th January 2022 at 11:53.

Not exactly winter boots but just ordered a pair of Grenson Parker in black.

Master
    Cant say Ive had any issues with the soles wearing down on my redwings, nor my grenson freds or my tricker ethan (all that have gum soles) and Ive got some timberland boat shoes as a comparison and wouldnt say Ive seen any difference across the brands in my experience

Grenson Parker arrived today. Beautiful.