closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko Quartz?

Grand Seiko Quartz?

I have a lingering curiosity about the Grand Seiko Quartz. The quality of the movement looks exceptional and I like the reverse snobbery associated with a 2 grand quartz Seiko. Are there any owners in the forum who could give a owners perspective?
    My only concern would be battery replacement which I understand is approx every 3 years. Is this an easy job?

Grand Master
    I like the GS I bought of the forum,looks and feels as good as any other high end dress watch I've had,I could easily say the best too tbh.
    Id like to get a white faced GS at some point too,quite like the snowflake one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    The quality of the movement looks exceptional and I like the reverse snobbery associated with a 2 grand quartz Seiko.

I have one in 18K

Need I say anything??

The battery change is 5 minutes ' work' and a doddle.

How do they wear. Are they similar to the Datejust?

Grand Master
    How do they wear. Are they similar to the Datejust?
    Yes mine wears like a datejust.

Blog Entries
    This is my third GS quartz. Quality and timekeeping is second to none (se what I did there :) )

Battery change is easy for sure, it's just a quartz.
    Last edited by yonsson; 20th November 2014 at 13:21.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Well, not always true as it is not always straigtforward.
    Also the GS is easier than the average easy as the retention is a side spring pressure. There is no need for a screw driver so no risk of damage.
    Since it is GS, it is also made to fit perfectly.
    Again exemplary; even the battery replacement.

If you are considering buying a Grand Seiko this memorable post from It's Guy (Talking of Grand Seiko: 6th June 2014) may help to distill your thoughts:

"It's true that they often seem to aim at perfecting the stylistically dead centre, standard watch, the dictionary definition of a bracelet watch, not re-inventing the wheel in every department, but reaching a consensus on what works and refining it. I think this is actually something that I like about them, I'm also looking for the perfect 'normal' watch. The datejust defined that for decades, while having just enough character to make it identifiable, and now it is guilty of trying too hard. The GS watches usually also manage to have something that stands out and makes them identifiable and unique, be it the movement, the angular flared sides or the polishing, but it is only occasionally 'too much'.

I'm not a fan of that GS logo dial either, though the rippled one looks interesting. The power reserve always looks like a disaster in photos, but in real life for some reason it looks fine, maybe because it's so much smaller than it appears in close up photos.

Walking round the Selfridges 'fine watch room' yesterday, I once again found myself standing in front of the GS cabinet - nothing else had appealed to me really, IWC seemed to have lost the plot completely. I can understand the objections, I can also see why people might want a premium logo on a premium product, but there's a definite allure to the watches I can't deny. Few others, apart from the most uncomplicated high end pieces by high end brands, seem to be trying to perfect the normal, understated watch, with a signature that is very much present but doesn't overwhelm the design. Vanilla or derivative for some, just right for others."

Thank You It's Guy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    If you are considering buying a Grand Seiko this memorable post from It's Guy (Talking of Grand Seiko: 6th June 2014) may help to distill your thoughts:
    Grand Seiko quartz is the essence of Grand Seiko as it was conceived to be by Seiko at the start; simply time perfected.

They are near perfectly made & finished, the tc quartz module is as good and accurate as it comes; no frills.

Have a look at the SBGX009. It simply is.... flawless and totally understated. Imo it has the legs of the PP Calatrava since it is on par in manufacture and finish but WAY more accurate and worry free for decades to come.

You can buy a set of three 9Fs pre owned and still have change from a ubiquotous Swiss luxury īdiverī.

The rest is about personal taste and preferences, about like or not.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 20th November 2014 at 11:48.

Blog Entries
    I've had 3 of them, as I've said, the SBGX061

SBGX083

And the SBGX117 pictured in my previous reply. They have all been within +-2 seconds / 6 months (timed to atomic clock).

Yonsson - nice photos of a lovely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    You can buy a set of three 9Fs pre owned and still have change from a ubiquotous Swiss luxury īdiverī.

One might even have enough money left over for a camera and lessons on how to use it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    One might even have enough money left over for a camera and lessons on how to use it.
    One might, if one would care :-)

I have meanwhile switched to a cheaper Olympus-for-Dummies and when that gets it right for me

the good folk don't like it any the better anyway so why send money on THAT?

The GS has great detail/finish regardless and for ME that is a personal pleasure. Again; those who do not want to see it, will not appreciate it anyhow so why waste time/money on that?

I have a mechanical GS but I like my quartz at least equally.

Not much more to add really

Paul

If I were to opt for three flavours of the same watch, it would be this one.
    I have the silver dialled with date version (SBGX005) and so I understand why you like it so much. I'm also envious of your solid gold one shown in the middle there Huertecilla - something I thought I would never feel. But you are unlikely to convince many here and you know it. (It should be pointed out that by today's standard this watch is relatively small and it wears small, the crystal on mine measures 28mm across as seen.)

Your enthusiasm for Grand Seiko is well known Huertecilla. You have consistently and single-mindedly presented numerous coherent arguments in their favour.
    Although I came to TZ-UK as a long time Seiko wearer, you more than anyone else has raised my curiosity towards the brand. I keep my watches and my various Seikos will be the last to be prised from my steely grip - I enjoy them that much. I just wanted to say Thanks Huertecilla.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just wanted to say Thanks Huertecilla.
    Much obliged.

I am awed by GS and have three vintage 5 Hertz ones and the three quartz ones but at the same time I am in awe of my 195 Chs. The engines in the latter two; the 9F61 and the 2415 are just about at the two extreme ends of contemporary horology so there is much more I appreciate ;-)

My point was, is and will be that there is so much to appreciate for its own HOROLOGICAL merits. Not in ANY way denying the very real added value of brand image, I hope that especially 'newbies' can avoid being blinded by that and be able to see the other merits within horology TOO.

After all, the nano mechanics involved in photons physically traveling from the sun to powering electrons pumped around, driving a representation of our clock time controlled by the frequency a tuning fork made from quartz crystal and checked by a radio wave signal from outer space is ... again awesome.
    Whatever the brand on the front.

Have found a good article on the GS quartz module. Impressive indeed:

http://timelessluxwatches.com/review...ko-9f-movement

Master
    I love mine.

I'd recommend buying from Creation Watches.

Master

"It's true that they often seem to aim at perfecting the stylistically dead centre, standard watch, the dictionary definition of a bracelet watch, not re-inventing the wheel in every department, but reaching a consensus on what works and refining it. I think this is actually something that I like about them, I'm also looking for the perfect 'normal' watch. The datejust defined that for decades, while having just enough character to make it identifiable, and now it is guilty of trying too hard. The GS watches usually also manage to have something that stands out and makes them identifiable and unique, be it the movement, the angular flared sides or the polishing, but it is only occasionally 'too much'.

I'm not a fan of that GS logo dial either, though the rippled one looks interesting. The power reserve always looks like a disaster in photos, but in real life for some reason it looks fine, maybe because it's so much smaller than it appears in close up photos.

Walking round the Selfridges 'fine watch room' yesterday, I once again found myself standing in front of the GS cabinet - nothing else had appealed to me really, IWC seemed to have lost the plot completely. I can understand the objections, I can also see why people might want a premium logo on a premium product, but there's a definite allure to the watches I can't deny. Few others, apart from the most uncomplicated high end pieces by high end brands, seem to be trying to perfect the normal, understated watch, with a signature that is very much present but doesn't overwhelm the design. Vanilla or derivative for some, just right for others."

Thank You It's Guy.
    You're too kind ;-) Lovely pictures on this thread, keep them coming!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    This is my third GS quartz. Quality and timekeeping is second to none (se what I did there :) )

I am in New York at the moment and popped into the Seiko Boutique this afternoon and had a look at this. I have to say - it is stunning! Looks so good in the flesh.

my GS quartz anti-magnetic. love it, crazy accurate and the best part of all is the lack of drift on the hour and minute hand, if you set it right on and check months later the hands still hit the centre of the markers as the second hand does. love um

and it sits rather nicely with these 3 too

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    my GS quartz anti-magnetic. love it, crazy accurate and the best part of all is the lack of drift on the hour and minute hand, if you set it right on and check months later the hands still hit the centre of the markers as the second hand does. love um

Is that an SBGX091? Have been considering one myself and interested in hearing experiences.

Craftsman
    I have a lingering curiosity about the Grand Seiko Quartz. The quality of the movement looks exceptional and I like the reverse snobbery associated with a 2 grand quartz Seiko. Are there any owners in the forum who could give a owners perspective?
    My only concern would be battery replacement which I understand is approx every 3 years. Is this an easy job?

I have black and champagne dialled models, of which one will be a keeper.

The size is excellent, quality superb, and they are very comfortable to wear. Timekeeping is, of course, first rate. They are the best made watches I own. Yes, there is a lot of gumpf about zaratzu or whatever, but regardless of the marketing they really are beautifully put together compared to an Omega or Rolex.

Cons? The lack of a finely adjusted bracelet means that fit is excellent but rarely perfect. This is balanced by the light weight, so comfort is not compromised, but it is worth a mention. Also, there is no lume on most models. This is irrelevant to most, but if you're coming from a Panerai or Omega diver, you'll notice this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    I have black and champagne dialled models, of which one will be a keeper.

The size is excellent, quality superb, and they are very comfortable to wear. Timekeeping is, of course, first rate. They are the best made watches I own. Yes, there is a lot of gumpf about zaratzu or whatever, but regardless of the marketing they really are beautifully put together compared to an Omega or Rolex.

Cons? The lack of a finely adjusted bracelet means that fit is excellent but rarely perfect. This is balanced by the light weight, so comfort is not compromised, but it is worth a mention. Also, there is no lume on most models. This is irrelevant to most, but if you're coming from a Panerai or Omega diver, you'll notice this.
    The slightly loose fit I chose turned out to work better than any of my other watches - somehow the thing just balances. Maybe I'm just lucky - a couple of links less on each side, roomy but not overly so, without question the most comfortable watch I own, possibly due to not having any sharp edges on the inside of the bracelet. On the lume point, I have to say I don't miss it, it's one less thing to decay over the lifetime of this more or less service free watch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I never notice lume on any of my other watches, unless I'm making a specific attempt to hold it under a light and charge it up. I can't say it's ever once helped me read a watch in the dark. Perhaps it's due to living in the city.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I never notice lume on any of my other watches, unless I'm making a specific attempt to hold it under a light and charge it up. I can't say it's ever once helped me read a watch in the dark. Perhaps it's due to living in the city.
    For one lume does 'decay' in the sense of losing intensity as the hours pass.
    Secondly it decays over the passing of time. The time/intensity it re-emits energy gets less.

On the other side there is the human eye.
    It needs time to adjust to the dark and as we get older the night vision decays.
    Also our eyes are not very sensitive and need rather a large difference in intensity so see the difference.
    Meaning that when it is not totally dark and your eyes not much good in the dark, you will need quite a bit of lume intensity to see it.

When ';judging' the lume of hopr watches, we must take into account that the lume is not really charged by indoor lighting in the average living room.
    In the current season this means that the last decent bit of sunlight that charges the lume is in the late afternoon.
    It is a bit much to ask to expect it to shine brightly the next morning.

I currently own only ONE watch which is legible, and then only just, at 06.30 in near absolute darkness after having been out in the afternoon. That is because it has more luminous paint applied to it than three average dive watches.
    I do make good use of the lume of my watches though since most are quite legible in the evening/early night after dusk when I am still out. No lighting out in the campo.

Master
    Yes, that does make sense - I can imagine it working out on the farm in Spain, but in the city it's not much use. Thanks for reminding me about my ageing night vision! ;-)

From the replies, as expected, this has many happy owners. Good to know. Probably the only expensive quartz I'm willing to spend money to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Yes, that does make sense - I can imagine it working out on the farm in Spain, but in the city it's not much use. Thanks for reminding me about my ageing night vision! ;-)
    In lighted surroundings, even when poorly lt, the highly polished angled surfaces of the quartz GS are easily read and lume is not missed.

Craftsman
    Great watches. Have had Three GS quartz. Two special editions (+-5 sec per year) and one regular. All gone now and itīs somewhat sad.

Best,
    Gustav

Master
    In lighted surroundings, even when poorly lt, the highly polished angled surfaces of the quartz GS are easily read and lume is not missed.
    Agreed - I honestly don't think I'd prefer them with lume, they look cleaner as they are.

A Grand (Two Grand actually) Seiko Quartz?

I am sure there are better ways to spend 2k than on a watch that is all but indistinguishable from a Ģ100 Seiko Quartz.

I would need to feel I was getting something really special for the 1.9k differential.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    A Grand (Two Grand actually) Seiko Quartz?

I am sure there are better ways to spend 2k than on a watch that is all but indistinguishable from a Ģ100 Seiko Quartz.

I would need to feel I was getting something really special for the 1.9k differential.
    I have that when I see a Vostok Amphibia and a Rolex Sub. or the AGAT 195 and Panerai Luminor, only with way larger differentials.

With the GS quartz versus the base Seiko quartz you get different technology inside and way more hands on manufacturing: you DO actually get something really special for your 2k.
    Whereas the Vostok and Agat have the same tech inside as the Swiss and are way more hands on produced than these.

I really wonder how you can justify the specialness of mass produced Swiss luxury watches at 6K+ when you ask a question like that Tony.

I like my GS quartzes AND my Vostok, Agat AND can rationally totally justify their prices in absolute and relative aspects . Also the digital crap SDGA by the way.

Thanks for the for a cool topic.
    My three beaters all cost me 600€ and are all three from different corners of the horological universe yet all three worth it in the tangible.
    The over here ever so important resale value is no issue for me. For me it is not about cost of ownership but about the FUN of wearership.
    Right, time to do some farm work outside. It is, finally!, raining so I will strap on the dive watch
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 27th November 2014 at 10:22.

Master

With the GS quartz versus the base Seiko quartz you get different technology inside and way more hands on manufacturing: you DO actually get something really special for your 2k. [/img]
    You really don't, but you have to be a bit "special" to think that you do.

Lol @ "more hands on" btw, like you have a clue!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post

You really don't, but you have to be a bit "special" to think that you do.

Lol @ "more hands on" btw, like you have a clue!
    ...and we get a response from the personal insult level.

The rather limited production GS quartz is polished by hand and assembed by hand in the GS studio.

The even more limited production Agat 195 is machined on a century old lath with the Vostok 2415 inside totally hand assembled, regulated. Also every single one goes through a test cycle on a multi watch winder and regulated again if needed.

As to the tech of the 9F I suggest that if you want to comment on that, you first have a good read in the WUS tc quartz corner.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Great watches. Have had Three GS quartz. Two special editions (+-5 sec per year) and one regular. All gone now and itīs somewhat sad.
    Best,
    Gustav
    I like that proud 'quartz' in gold a LOT Gustav!
    Especially with the equally proud 'SEIKO' above.
    It is the top end SEIKO Quartz and in measurable criteria, from performance as a clock to SLoP as jewelry, that really is something something top end to be proud of.

Don't get it either
    Seiko 5 quartz Ģ100 = circuit board + battery
    Seiko GS quartz Ģ2000 = circuit board + battery

Assembled by hand? maybe so, but shoving 3 hands on a machine made module, then into a case, a trained monkey could do it. Not quite like hand assembling a mechanical movement with 200+ parts

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Don't get it either
    Fair enough.

Now apply that logic to the Vostok/Agat and Omepanro wiggly spring calibers.

The funny thing is that I do get spending 6K on an automated mass produced Swiss branded mechanical since you do get your money worth in added brand value if you are into that.
    It is just that I personally do not perceive that added value as such for ME.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 27th November 2014 at 11:31.

Fair enough.

Now apply that logic to the Vostok/Agat and Omepanro wiggly spring calibers.

The funny thing is that I do get spending 6K on an automated mass produced Swiss branded mechanical since you do get your money worth in added brand value if you are into that.
    It is just that I personally do not perceive that added value as such for ME.
    But you do get spending 2K on an automated mass produced Japanese branded quartz since you don't get your money's worth in added brand value if you're into that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But you do get spending 2K on an automated mass produced Japanese branded quartz since you don't get your money's worth in added brand value if you're into that.
    Euh no, I don't.

I do get spending 2K on the 9F engined GS.

The crux is that you see the 9F Gs as 'just a Seiko' and think that not the image you want.
    I see it as the highest end of the state of the art stand alone time keeping on the wrist and the 'only a Seiko'-aspect is a bonus for me.
    I see buying a 9F GS as paying for the hardware with the 'SEIKO' branding keeping it below any social radar.

Master
    ...and we get a response from the personal insult level.

The rather limited production GS quartz is polished by hand and assembed by hand in the GS studio.

The even more limited production Agat 195 is machined on a century old lath with the Vostok 2415 inside totally hand assembled, regulated. Also every single one goes through a test cycle on a multi watch winder and regulated again if needed.

As to the tech of the 9F I suggest that if you want to comment on that, you first have a good read in the WUS tc quartz corner.
    Youre talking about the cases, theyre all cut by cnc and prepolished by machines but final polish is done by hand at Seiko AS WELL AS ALL THE SWISS BRANDS, its not unique for Seiko so stop acting like it is. Ditto movement assembly which you surely know but choose to ignore and lie about constantly.

I read about the 9F and my comments stand. Its nice but nothing special. ETA precidrives are cheap as chips and look and run just as well.

The century old lathe story sounds made up but if you think that precision rivals that of a modern swiss movement it just confirms how delusional you are. Which we all know since 2009 anyway tbh.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The century old lathe story sounds made up but if you think that precision rivals that of a modern swiss movement it just confirms how delusional you are.
    Well then by all means don't believe the old machinery. I do not kow from seeing it but take the word of a fellow forum member on a russian forum who has visited the factory. I think he even put some photos of the old machines up.
    Whatever, however, mine is serial number 0175 out of four years of 'production', but you are free to not believe that either

No, I do not think and never wrote that the 2415/6 is a rival to a 2824-2. I do know that the base specs are not all that different, that they are about as rugged/durable and that the Vostok is hand assembled whereas the ETA is not.
    My point is that;
    - when it is about appreciation of the romance of the craftsmanship and the mechanical aspects, the automated mass produced Swiis products have LESS to offer than the russian products.
    - when precision as time keeping instrument is brought up as an argument then the whole mechanical goes out of the equasion and we get to tc quartz.

By all means see the GS quartz as a 200$ product, by all means think the Vostok/Agat crap. I do not see a problem with that.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 27th November 2014 at 12:52.

Euh no, I don't.

I do get spending 2K on the 9F engined GS.

The crux is that you see the 9F Gs as 'just a Seiko' and think that not the image you want.
    I see it as the highest end of the state of the art stand alone time keeping on the wrist and the 'only a Seiko'-aspect is a bonus for me.
    I see buying a 9F GS as paying for the hardware with the 'SEIKO' branding keeping it below any social radar.
    Paying for the hardware, really?
    You're paying for the marketing BS, a circuit board filled with mass produced components, populated and soldered on mass by machine, powered by a mass produced battery, sorry still don't see what's 'special' about it.
    Plus your argument is all over the place anyway, on the one hand you argue for GS is greater than Seiko and isn't 'just a seiko' yet your argument against the Swiss mechanicals you are saying the opposite, by grouping together all the Swiss manufacturers.
    Like saying an Omega is 'just a Swatch'

Master
    Well then by all means don't believe the old machinery. I do not kow from seeing it but take the word of a fellow forum member on a russian forum who has visited the factory. I think he even put some photos of the old machines up.
    Whatever, however, mine is serial number 0175 out of four years of 'production', but you are free to not believe that either

No, I do not think and never wrote that the 2415/6 is a rival to a 2824-2. I do know that the base specs are not all that different, that they are about as rugged/durable and that the Vostok is hand assembled whereas the ETA is not.
    My point is that;
    - when it is about appreciation of the romance of the craftsmanship and the mechanical aspects, the automated mass produced Swiis products have LESS to offer than the russian products.
    - when precision as time keeping instrument is brought up as an argument then the whole mechanical goes out of the equasion and we get to tc quartz.

By all means see the GS quartz as a 200$ product, by all means think the Vostok/Agat crap. I do not see a problem with that.

So in fact you dont KNOW anything but you like to believe. Thats OK just stop portraying your fantasies as facts. Study up some more on what goes on in the Swiss manufacturies and you will find LOADS to appreciate. Not that you will, cause it would shatter your fantasyworld, completely.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So in fact you dont KNOW anything but you like to believe. Thats OK just stop portraying your fantasies as facts. Study up some more on what goes on in the Swiss manufacturies and you will find LOADS to appreciate. Not that you will, cause it would shatter your fantasyworld, completely.
    Not seen my threads on the behind the scenes 'now it can be told' books covering the swiss watch industry since about the early sixties?
    Lucien Trueb writes about it without prejudice, with interviews with all key players of the industry as base.
    It is a bit of a pity that these two jewels are only available in French and German.

For those who can manage French or German I recommend;

http://www.amazon.de/Zeitzeugen-Quar...s=trueb+lucien

http://www.amazon.de/Kinder-Quarzrev...s=trueb+lucien

which are NOT about quartz but about the Swiss watch industry during and after this revolution in watch making.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    on the one hand you argue for GS is greater than Seiko and isn't 'just a seiko'
    No, I don't.
    I think it GREAT that is say 'SEIKO' and 'quartz' on the dial.
    I even write that it IS a 'Seiko quartz'; the highest end one they produce.

The key difference is that I do not see any problem with 'just' a Seiko as I think 'Seiko' is a great brand with true heritage and top notch horological tech.
    For me Grand Seiko is a Seiko and I would be happy to see the 'Grand' go. It is however nothing more than a vertical typology in the model range. That is why 'SEIKO' stands proudly at 12.

Yes, I do think that Omega is simply a brand of the Swatch group. That has been so since the merger of the two big Swiss manufacturing groups after their financial crisis caused by the US letting go of the gold standard for the dollar.
    Swatch is a watch brand holding owned by Swiss banks. Omega is a one brand. The products sold under the Omega brand are a matter of product placement within the group.
    Yes, it IS 'just a Swatch' in that sense although I would not use the 'just' as that would not acknowledge the vertical differences in products represented by the different brands.

Seiko is ONE manufacturer which offers the same vertical product stack under the same 'SEIKO' branding.
    'Seiko' at 12 with 'GS' and say 'sd' at 6 is the same as ditto 'Swatch', 'Omega' and 'co-axial' would be.
    I can understand that the large vertical stack of product levels under the Seiko banner is hard to swallow for many western consumers who see Seiko as a producer of cheap watches and Omega as rubbing shoulders with Rolex and Panerai. The latter btw is also a case of product placement, badge engineering so to speak, within an investors group.

Craftsman
    I like that proud 'quartz' in gold a LOT Gustav!
    Especially with the equally proud 'SEIKO' above.
    It is the top end SEIKO Quartz and in measurable criteria, from performance as a clock to SLoP as jewelry, that really is something something top end to be proud of.
    Great watches. Both in function and in form. Hard to beat really!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Best,
    Gustav
    They are some seriously nice watches especially the first and the third. Correct me if I am wrong but GS Quartz are not perpetual calender unlike the Citizen? I am a bit supprised you don't see as many Citizens as you do GS.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    They are some seriously nice watches especially the first and the third. Correct me if I am wrong but GS Quartz are not perpetual calender unlike the Citizen? I am a bit supprised you don't see as many Citizens as you do GS.
    Well, I donīt know the answer why you donīt see Citizens as much as GS.
    My friend Hans over at the Swedish fora has two nice ones...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It's a funny one that, but speaking for myself I went through a bit of a journey re-framing my idea of the Seiko brand and logo to fit the GS range. I was initially in the camp who found it a bit challenging to have a Seiko logo on a four figure watch - I must admit I didn't know much about their history, but it's not an uncommon knee jerk reaction in the UK, as this forum has proved on many occasions. Ultimately the quality of the product and learning more about the GS vintage history won me over. And anyway there just weren't any other sensibly sized, classic styled TC quartz options out there, and that's what I wanted. Apart from Citizen of course... And I'm afraid I still just haven't managed to make that leap with with the Citizen brand yet, it may never look like luxury to me no matter what they make. I don't know if that's the same for other people. I can't justify it really, but sometimes you just want a premium badge on a premium product, and it's hard work to reposition a logo in your mind once you think of it a certain way. And you know that others won't make the leap even if you do. Of course the same thing has come up for GS on many a thread, but with GS I'm happy to think that it's enough that I know, but with Citizen, damn, it's not even Grand Citizen it's just Citizen! Ok, I'm shallow, I admit it. There's no denying a solar TC perpetual is almost the perfect watch and if GS made one I'd be all over it.

So the Citizen arguably has more selling points, though on the other hand there's a kind of purity of concept to the GS quartz that prioritises absolute reliability. The 9F has been around for long enough now to be very well proven - a bit of googling has failed to turn up any reference to one ever having needed servicing - though you might expect that with many quartz of course. It always reminds me of a 21st century version of my old hand wound Rolex precision - it does one thing, very well. I think I have heard a few gripes about the longevity of Citizens technology, but we're in a timescale of decades here. My guess is the GS will outlast the Citizen though, due in part to its simplicity.

Master
    Don't get it either

Assembled by hand? maybe so, but shoving 3 hands on a machine made module, then into a case, a trained monkey could do it. Not quite like hand assembling a mechanical movement with 200+ parts
    Maybe a (re-)read of "Part 4" would help correct your disillusionment about parts cost and training monkeys.