closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with the new SM300

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    ... But I did notice the movement in the end-links and could definitely see daylight!
    I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I handled four of these in various configurations and every single one of them had abysmal end link fit. I didn't know a nice watch could have bad end link fit until I bought my first Omega - I figured they would have fixed that by now, but nope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Maybe its the light...but the bracelet looks like its borrowed from another watch. The integration with the lugs looks terrible.
    It looks like an Omega end link to me.

10/10 for concept, and about 2/10 for execution based on those lugs/curvature...
    I have to say I'm not the worlds biggest Omega fan, but that's just taking the p*ss imho

It looks quite vintage looking to me, especially in the wrist shots. I like it. Its price, not so much. Probably I would prefer the PO.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It looks like an Omega end link to me.
    No doubt. It just looks wrong to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Saw both in the window of the Royal Exchange boutique... Very underwhelming.

Preferred the Ti version but I have good memories of a Ti PO 9300 that was sold as too large for me. Shame as this could have been a good replacement.
    If they did a smaller 40-42mm version I think they would see these become even more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    If they did a smaller 40-42mm version I think they would see these become even more desirable.
    If they did a 42mm version, perhaps with a solid caseback to reduce the height, I'd by it in a heartbeat as a keeper. Apart from the size, just about my perfect watch.

Master
    No doubt. It just looks wrong to me.
    I agree. It's almost as if the case and bracelet aren't made by the same people!

I agree. It's almost as if the case and bracelet aren't made by the same people!
    That and the pointless wart appendage at 10 o'clock detract from an otherwise decent sports watch.

Master
    That and the pointless wart appendage at 10 o'clock detract from an otherwise decent sports watch.
    The thickness and lack of micro adjust doesn't do it any favors either. I still like the looks, the blue especially.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If they did a 42mm version, perhaps with a solid caseback to reduce the height, I'd by it in a heartbeat as a keeper. Apart from the size, just about my perfect watch.
    The thickness and lack of micro adjust doesn't do it any favors either. I still like the looks, the blue especially.
    It looks like you guys need to read the specs: http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...23330412101001

It's 41mm and the bracelet has micro adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    It looks like you guys need to read the specs: http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...23330412101001

OR you could read the thread and realise we're talking about the PO 9300 Chrongraph ;)

Master
    I don't think everyone is ;)

I don't think everyone is ;)
    I'd imagine you're right on a thread with a different title! Myself and Mr Banks seemed to be complaining about the POC though!

Master
    Indeed I think you're mad though, the POC 9300 Ti LM is awesome in every way - love mine!

Indeed I think you're mad though, the POC 9300 Ti LM is awesome in every way - love mine!
    That is it awesome is in no doubt. Unfortunately my wrist is not correspondingly epic :(

Master

That's the one with lugs that are 30% too long and end links that appear to have been designed for a different case. Keep up.

Journeyman
    Putting the lug length issue to one side, it's the sandwich dial I was rather disappointed by, it just didn't work for me. The dial isn't thick enough to show any real depth to the second dial below, minimizing any real sandwich effect. Also the overly shiny and rather flimsy bracelet also didn't impress me.

Good looking movement though, with great features that possibly put Rolex to shame.

Another one to add to the list of lucks great in photos, good in the display case, but once on the wrist rather disappointing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 0 View Post
    Putting the lug length issue to one side, it's the sandwich dial I was rather disappointed by, it just didn't work for me. The dial isn't thick enough to show any real depth to the second dial below, minimizing any real sandwich effect. Also the overly shiny and rather flimsy bracelet also didn't impress me.

Good looking movement though, with great features that possibly put Rolex to shame.

Another one to add to the list of lucks great in photos, good in the display case, but once on the wrist rather disappointing.
    I didn't look at it under magnification, but the dial didn't look like a standard sandwich to me. It looked like the plots were sunk, perhaps machined in, and then partially filled with liquid lume. It most definitely didn't look like a sandwich PAM, for instance.

Apprentice
    Real shame considering what could have been. The lugs really seem strange and why so much polished parts on what should be a more tool-oriented watch? Then again I guess it is up to personal preference, same as the "aged" lume. Not for me though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by albinh View Post
    Real shame considering what could have been. The lugs really seem strange and why so much polished parts on what should be a more tool-oriented watch? Then again I guess it is up to personal preference, same as the "aged" lume. Not for me though.
    "Tool" watches don't need delicate, blink-and-you'll-scratch it bead-blasted surfaces in order to be tool watches; there are no criteria. I find it quite ironic that beadblasted-on-a-NATO "tool" watches need to be sent away for dismantling and refinishing whereas watches with polished surfaces can be smartened up at home with a Cape Cod and some elbow grease. Also the idea of a "toolwatch" in the multi-thousand-pound branded steel luxury-sports watch category is a bit, well...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I'm glad it's not just me
    No, you are not. I agree with you 100 %.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    "Tool" watches don't need delicate, blink-and-you'll-scratch it bead-blasted surfaces in order to be tool watches; there are no criteria. I find it quite ironic that beadblasted-on-a-NATO "tool" watches need to be sent away for dismantling and refinishing whereas watches with polished surfaces can be smartened up at home with a Cape Cod and some elbow grease. Also the idea of a "toolwatch" in the multi-thousand-pound branded steel luxury-sports watch category is a bit, well...
    Of course there are no critera as such, and what works in the eye of one may look weird for another. For me however polished surfaces often make a watch seem more delicate. Not really a fan of beadblasted cases either for the very same reason you just presented, very prone to scratches.

Craftsman
    hmmm... this or an Explorer II?

Omega do seem to be going backwards of late & not just in a retro styled way!

They consider themselves 'equal' to Rolex & do have fantastic movements and finish to their products but they are what the Nissan GTR is to the Porsche 911, always second best.

I saw one last week in a shop window and I didn't like the polished centre links and the lume on the second hand looked white compared tot he lume on the hour and minute hands. Over priced IMHO although I appreciate it is a decent movement.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I saw one last week in a shop window and I didn't like the polished centre links and the lume on the second hand looked white compared tot he lume on the hour and minute hands. Over priced IMHO although I appreciate it is a decent movement.
    I mentioned the white second hand on another forum and it was pointed out that it is, in fact, historically accurate. Here's a photo of a vintage SM300:

Journeyman
    At least the bezel seems usable on this. My old SMP300 was comical in this respect.

Master
    Just saw the both the steel and titanium versions at the Royal Exchange Boutique. I have to say, contrary to everyone else on the forum, I REALLY REALLY liked the Titanium Blue version. THe lugs, whilst straight isnt too long and my wrist is tiny, albeit with a flat top around 6.2inches and it fit well.

The steel was way too heavy, deceivingly so, and the Black Ceramic had a too much of a mirror effect which I didnt like. The blue version handled reflections better. The faux aged lume isnt as tacky looking as I imagined it would be.

All in all, I really loved the Titanium version and am actually tempted to get one, however the price is a big issue, 5650 GBP i believe which is like very competitive space....

I would value it more like £4K.,...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I would value it more like £4K.,...
    Why's that?

I'm a fan of Omega and had my hopes high for this, but as stated before the shape of the case and lugs are no good

Keeping my duo as it is

I tried it today and wasnt impressed either.

Disappointing, because the press photos were very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    It is so disappointing that such a big name in the sector can't facilitate people's wants/needs....

Saw one at the Basingstoke Beaverbrook today, and was rather impressed. It was the titanium blue bezel version. The lugs didn't seem too long, but the caseback did seem quite deep. I think the titanium the less blingy nature of the titanium works in it's favour. I have to say I think it is worth the price tag.

The salesman, who I have to say was excellent and definitely knew his stuff, then saw I had an X33 and went and pulled out the new Skywalker. After having a good half hour with both watches, I think it is an absolute bargain for the £3720 they were asking.

I think my partner realised she may have to arrange for Santa to get one of these two!

Grand Master
    In my limited experience polished titanium (I assume the bracelet of the titanium is part-polished, like the steel) looks quite different, darker somehow, and very smart. Then again I don't share the pathological aversion to polished metal with most of this forum ;). It's an enormous premium Omega's asking for titanium, which makes no sense - as with all their watches, they want near 50% more. That's some serious surplus collection going on there!
    Last edited by andrew; 15th December 2014 at 10:51.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Changed my mind after trying one on the Bullring yesterday I was really taken with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Hi what's the price on this? I'm after a original vintage one.
    I think you could get a vintage one for less than these retail for.

Check out the watchco ones. :-)

I've changed my mind - really like it although I think SS is the version to get

So I went into the local Beaverbrooks near to where I work to try on a 42mm Planet Ocean to see if it is too big and heavy for me to wear, pleasantly surprised that it sat on my wrist nicely, although it sits high it wasn't too uncomfortable and the bracelet curves nicely to the wrist. Salesman was a total watch geek which was really nice and brought out a SM300 ... now that I've seen it and worn it IRL I really rather like it.

Does create a dilemma, do I go 42mm PO or the SM300, both lovely watches but for different reasons, the PO stunning new kid on the block, the SM300 with the retro matt dial ....

Yesterday, I finally got to complete trying on all versions of this watch and I have to say the criticisms of it here aren't matched by my personal experience of the watch on my wrist. My favourite is the Blue Titanium, which seems in line with some postings above. If money was no object, I would happily have taken it there and then. But.... I just feel that there are other watches that I would like to own more, especially at this price range, including other Omega's - being a fan of the brand and not finding they are doing much wrong at all. That potentially includes the new Grey Side of The Moon, which alas, wasn't available to try as claimed.

Incidentally, if in Bangkok, you should do better than the UK listed price if a discount isn't offered. At the two Omega boutiques I visited (Emporium and Siam Paragon), they both immediately offered a 10% discount without even asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Caller View Post
    Yesterday, I finally got to complete trying on all versions of this watch and I have to say the criticisms of it here aren't matched by my personal experience of the watch on my wrist. My favourite is the Blue Titanium, which seems in line with some postings above. If money was no object, I would happily have taken it there and then. But.... I just feel that there are other watches that I would like to own more, especially at this price range, including other Omega's - being a fan of the brand and not finding they are doing much wrong at all. That potentially includes the new Grey Side of The Moon, which alas, wasn't available to try as claimed.

Incidentally, if in Bangkok, you should do better than the UK listed price if a discount isn't offered. At the two Omega boutiques I visited (Emporium and Siam Paragon), they both immediately offered a 10% discount without even asking.
    I purchased the ti version and I love it - incidentally 20% off is the minimum I get should anybody wish to get a rate better than what they get with their local AD

Journeyman
    I've seen it behind the glass but I haven't tried it on. I find all the Omegas with the new movements to be too thick. I'll stick my 2500 PO.

May go back to look at the PO and SM300 again today.

The local AD aren't really willing to do a deal though, the salesman did emphasize that any discount will be a couple of percent, he's said Omega have really locked down on this and that the boutiques offer no discount whatsoever. If I go for either they will be the most expensive watches (by purchase price) that I'll own. If you can get ten or twenty percent then it sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I've seen it behind the glass but I haven't tried it on. I find all the Omegas with the new movements to be too thick. I'll stick my 2500 PO.
    This and just too expensive, I'm Omega free presently for a very long time.

The 8500 calibre in the Aqua Terra is fine for case depth though, the Planet Oceans are unwearable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    May go back to look at the PO and SM300 again today.

The local AD aren't really willing to do a deal though, the salesman did emphasize that any discount will be a couple of percent, he's said Omega have really locked down on this and that the boutiques offer no discount whatsoever. If I go for either they will be the most expensive watches (by purchase price) that I'll own. If you can get ten or twenty percent then it sounds good to me.
    I'd be looking for 25% or more off a new watch. If not, consider saving considerably by purchasing a hardly used example. Really nice examples are selling for under $4,000 (2646 pounds) in the USA. Paying anything close to MSRP wouldn't be prudent in my opinion. If you must buy new, at least wait until the PO gets the anti-mag movement and adjustable clasp - it has to be coming.
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 9th January 2015 at 17:25.

I'd be looking for 25% or more off a new watch. If not, consider saving considerably by purchasing a hardly used example. Really nice examples are selling for under $4,000 (2646 pounds) in the USA. Paying anything close to MSRP wouldn't be prudent in my opinion. If you must buy new, at least wait until the PO gets the anti-mag movement and adjustable clasp - it has to be coming.
    Thanks, one of the big jewellers here had the blue ti PO at 10% off, they increased it to 30% off a couple of days ago and that was the trigger, surprisingly the Jeweller were offering IFC too.

Did try the SM300 again, it's definitely a watch I'd like to own but not at retail prices and there was no discount offered, I guess because it's so new.

Thanks, one of the big jewellers here had the blue ti PO at 10% off, they increased it to 30% off a couple of days ago and that was the trigger, surprisingly the Jeweller were offering IFC too.

Did try the SM300 again, it's definitely a watch I'd like to own but not at retail prices and there was no discount offered, I guess because it's so new.
    If you want a SM 300 at 20% off I will happily arrange for you, my AD gives me that as I am a good customer, could get more off a PO.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If you want a SM 300 at 20% off I will happily arrange for you, my AD gives me that as I am a good customer, could get more off a PO.
    Thank you, very kind, I had seen your earlier post, it is a very good discount and most generous offer.

Thank you, very kind, I had seen your earlier post, it is a very good discount and most generous offer.
    No probs. Try Iconic watches as well although you will probably need to wait a few weeks for delivery

Blog Entries
    Guys - just got a SM300 today of SC - thanks Adam!

I LOVE IT !!

I'll do a write up on it and compared to my Rolex sub ND (new model). So far I am very impressed with it - being the steel version and having the micro adjust on the bracelet makes for a comfy fit. I guess it's my wrist profile - but I have no issues with the end-linkage - fits my wrist just fine.

The 8400 movement is stunning of course - which was one reason I purchased it. Now with 4year guarantee which is unusual in this industry.

Here is a comparison shot with my Sub... more later folks!

some crappy iPhone pics for wrist shots:

not a lot in it - I've not quite sized the omega properly - still having fun with the slide clasp..
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th January 2015 at 00:48.

Congratulations, the watch looks great, nice comparison next to the Sub nd. Really like this watch, enjoy!