closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Watch for my Wife - Suggestions please

Craftsman

Buying a Watch for my Wife - Suggestions please

Hi

I'd like to buy my wife a watch, but am struggling to find something suitable - I'd be very grateful for any suggestions you can give. The requirements are:

- Small(ish) - say 36mm
    - Legible
    - Auto or quartz (no manuals)
    - no bracelet (she doesn't like them)
    - Nothing gaudy
    - No rotating bezel
    - and last but not least, approx £200

If I could wind back time I'd be buying a Ladybird - that seems to tick all the boxes and is pretty much what I'm looking for

thanks

Steve

New or Used?

I bought my wife a bi-metal Lady Datejust for her birthday several years ago. She wears it occasionally, but mostly she wears very cheap 'market' watches that match whatever outfit she happens to be wearing. Oh well..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I bought my wife a bi-metal Lady Datejust for her birthday several years ago. She wears it occasionally, but mostly she wears very cheap 'market' watches that match whatever outfit she happens to be wearing. Oh well..
    I've been wanting to do the same recently and have the same problems. I did quite a few years ago buy her a nice Breil but would now like her to have something with a bit more heritage maybe. I have just over a year until her 40th so am always on the look out for a birth watch (1976).

Good luck in your quest as they are a fickly bunch.

Lots of girls I know love the Mondaine Swiss Railway watch. Should fit in your budget too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    New or Used?
    Knew I'd miss something important!

Can be new or used

Journeyman
    I tried for several months to buy my wife a watch, absolute nightmare so gave up in the end. She was immensely picky.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure you will find something perfect! And you have time on your side.

PRS-27 Smiths Big Date 34mm

I had an email from Christopher Ward this morning and, apparently, all of their women's watches are half price. Wouldn't be for me but may be of use.
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/wom...03%2F12%2F2014

Tissot have lots that would suit and are pretty darn good for the cash. Properly Swiss (part of Swatch group), Sapphire crystals, ETA movements and a warranty and Uk service/retailer network.

I bought my wife an Auto Tissot a while back and she still loves it and wears it daily.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd find out what she likes and buy that - a watch is very personal, anything she bought me would likely not be ideal and that works both ways.

unless she buys me a Sea Dweller with luminova and drilled lugs

omega

Grand Master
    There's only one opinion that matters, and that's hers. Let her choose what she wants and don`t be tempted to try influencing her too much.

Despite my own impeccable good taste, none of it has rubbed of on my good lady; she has two Armani ceramics, one white and one black, and she loves them. Several years ago I tried to talk her into having a second-hand Rolex but she wasn`t interested, she doesn`t 'get' watches in the way I do.

Paul

My wife has a Michael kors ,which is within that budget,she also as a Chanel j12 but loves the rose gold look of the Michael kors

Master
    Bought my wife a lady's Bulova Precisionist from Creation. She hated it: I sold it on here a few days later.

Lesson: I don't buy watches for her any more!

I have been trying for years to buy a watch for my wife, but no-one seems to make poisonous ones.

Master
    I have had success with CW

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/women.html

Master
    Bought my wife a Mondaine on a mesh. She loves it and is always asked about it.

Grand Master
    How about a nice Bi-Metal, Diamond MOP Dial, Full Diamond Bezel Tag? I have it spare!!!!!

Utterly crap picture

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

Going to be buyng my Fiancé a nice Gold or Bi Clour Datejust next year but if she doesn't wear it I'll take it back off her!!

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I'd find out what she likes and buy that - a watch is very personal, anything she bought me would likely not be ideal and that works both ways.

unless she buys me a Sea Dweller with luminova and drilled lugs
    Indeed. Love how you lot tend to call women picky but then also nitpick about the smallest of details when looking for one for yourself.... :)

Craftsman
    Good luck - hope she likes whatever you decide on :-)

I bought my wife a lady's Omega De Ville quartz, which is a great everyday watch to wear.

She only wears it on special occasions though. So for Christmas I've bought her a vintage Omega cocktail watch. I'm hoping that will bump the De Ville into daily wear were it belongs.

My point is, if you want your wife to wear a particular watch, you need to buy her something nicer for special occasions.

Master
    I've bought mine many over the years. Certina, Bulova, Gucci, Movado and Ebel amongst them. What does she wear? My Breitling Colt (that admittedly she bought for my 30th).

Fickle, thy name is woman.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    How about a nice Bi-Metal, Diamond MOP Dial, Full Diamond Bezel Tag? I have it spare!!!!!

Utterly crap picture

kery, i will take that off you for two notes (less a mates rates discount obv)

Craftsman
    used Credor http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp...er=0&istatus=2

man's size is 35mm. Ladies watches can be very tiny - check size in details.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    kery, i will take that off you for two notes (less a mates rates discount obv)

Add a few Zeros to that and you might be looking good

http://www.thewatchgallery.com/shop/...5-tag-059.html
    RIAC

Master
    The very best advice I could give to anyone who wants to buy their wife a watch is ...................... let HER choose it!

I bought my wife a really beautiful 1960's Rolex thunderbird for her 40th which I had to return as 'it's lovely but I don't want to get mugged for having a flashy watch' it must have cost me £1500 when I bought it 10 years ago. Fast forward to us recently watching a 60's tv show 'That's a lovely watch he's wearing' she says. The exact watch I'd returned 10 years before and now rather more than £1500! I've not bought her another watch since!

Whilst we can give you ideas of a watch that fits the criteria you've listed, the only answer is to take her shopping and let her chose. If someone bought me a watch without my input there's a fair chance it wouldn't be the one I want.