closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pelagos on a NATO - the "modern vintage Sub"?

Master

Pelagos on a NATO - the "modern vintage Sub"?

I've been wearing my Pelagos on a black NATO for a couple of weeks now, and I've come to realise that for me it's the modern incarnation of a vintage sub:

* no shiny dial markers
    * no highly polished case parts
    * brand heritage and history
    * modern materials (titanium and ceramic)
    * modern size at 42mm
    * reasonable purchase price and servicing costs
    * bracelet fit a bit clunky and not great for smaller wrists (just like the old ones )

It just seems 'right' on a NATO, and I've gone from being highly annoyed with the bracelet (and thinking of selling the watch because of it) to absolutely loving the Pelagos as a daily wearer. I think it's as 'cool' as an old Sub, but with none of the issues and costs you get with an old one

(web pic for illustration purposes)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I think it's as 'cool' as an old Sub
    I think it's an modern interpretation of a cool old Sub on a NATO (just like any black faced dive watch on a black NATO would be).
    That said it does look very nice indeed, but it's a few degrees warmed than the cool original.

Master
    I've owned a Pelagos and Heritage. I've never got on with Nato's, that said, I loved the Nato that came with the Heritage as it fitted more like a normal strap. I suspect the Tudor Nato's that come with the BB and/or Heritage range may fit the Pelagos and would be worth finding out if its a long term watch for you. If not, I'll shut up :)

Master
    I've been wearing my newly acquired Pelagos on the rubber strap, and with the metal end-links, it looks great.

I do appreciate the modern materials and crisp design of a pelagos, but it is just a bit too big to have classic status of the submariner.

I guess wearing on a NATO avoids the slightly gimmicky (looking not function) clasp.

I think we'll only find out properly in 40 years time. Any idea how the lume will age?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think we'll only find out properly in 40 years time. Any idea how the lume will age?
    Superluminova is not supposed to change colour with age

I'm running my Pelagos on Isofrane right now. I've tried a nato, but it doesn't look right on my small wrist, RAF was better, but the strap looks too thin for the watch, same with perlon. Haven't tried the Tudor rubber yet, but the Isofrane looks just right.

(not my pic)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post

I'm running my Pelagos on Isofrane right now. I've tried a nato, but it doesn't look right on my small wrist, RAF was better, but the strap looks too thin for the watch, same with perlon. Haven't tried the Tudor rubber yet, but the Isofrane looks just right.

(not my pic)
    Yep... That looks the doggies... Nice combo!

The problem with pictures of watches us they don't really show the full picture. I've tried my U1T on the new Natos Eddie sells, and found the watch looked amazing viewed straight on, but I can't get over how high it then sits on the wrist. Isofrane looks good but sits a little low in the lugs (again not apparent face on) and I've ended up very happy with it on a Hirsch Robby. It's really tricky imho to match straps to watches. Ps why can't I post pics on Tapatalk all of a sudden?!

Craftsman
    I like it

Obviously only time will tell, but compared to current offerings from Rolex it could be a future classic.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Try it on a curved end rubber.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Obviously only time will tell, but compared to current offerings from Rolex it could be a future classic.
    I think this is the conclusion I've come to. It's not a direct homage to an old Sub, it's a modern interpretation of the old Tudor Sub in the vein of the newer BMW Minis, VW Beetles or Fiat 500.

In the guitar world, vintage reissues (or updated versions thereof) are big business - massive for the main brands - so I'm really surprised more watch makers other than Omega don't do it. Maybe via the Tudor brand's Heritage range is how Rolex are testing the water, but could you imagine a 'new' 5513 or 1680 with a painted non-applied marker dial and lightly aged lume? I think it'd be a winner in the sales department...

I think this is the conclusion I've come to. It's not a direct homage to an old Sub, it's a modern interpretation of the old Tudor Sub in the vein of the newer BMW Minis, VW Beetles or Fiat 500.

In the guitar world, vintage reissues (or updated versions thereof) are big business - massive for the main brands - so I'm really surprised more watch makers other than Omega don't do it. Maybe via the Tudor brand's Heritage range is how Rolex are testing the water, but could you imagine a 'new' 5513 or 1680 with a painted non-applied marker dial and lightly aged lume? I think it'd be a winner in the sales department...
    ... but mainly to people that can't afford an original, much like say a '62 reissue Strat where most players can't run to an original '62 and the supply simply isn't there.

With these latest watches at the moment the term "re-issue" is a red herring IMHO - they really aren't anything like the original apart from a couple of design cues such as the hands on the Pelagos - just about everything else is different from case size and profile, dial, materials, straps etc etc. Really they're a totally new watch and not akin to the guitar market that seems to value precise copies wherever possible (even down to the aging in the case of Relics etc).

As to Rolex making a "re-issue" 5513, they already do, it's the Submariner ND ;-) If they were to start making a Sub ND with painted dial and plexi I'm not sure where the market would be, collectors would want an original given it would probably to cheaper anyway, and the general buying public would possibly see them as being inferior to the full flavour modern interpretation.

ETA : Look at the SM300 "re-issue", from what I've read on here there is little love for them and a feeling of poor sales ... not helped by an original or NOS Watchco one being half the price for the purist, and perhaps the general buyers not understanding why you'd want a new watch with an aged and dirty looking dial and handset.
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 3rd December 2014 at 16:20.

Master
    The best selling Fender re-issues are custom shop Strats with modern features - big frets, hotter pickups and flatter radius fretboards - not exact clones of a '62 strat. I think this is Omega and Tudor's approach - old designs with new twists.

Maybe Rolex would be better suited to the EXACT recreations Gibson fans crave, but only for models where the old ones would be more expensive e.g. Paul Newman Daytonas, gilt dial early Subs etc?

The best selling Fender re-issues are custom shop Strats with modern features - big frets, hotter pickups and flatter radius fretboards - not exact clones of a '62 strat. I think this is Omega and Tudor's approach - old designs with new twists.

Maybe Rolex would be better suited to the EXACT recreations Gibson fans crave, but only for models where the old ones would be more expensive e.g. Paul Newman Daytonas, gilt dial early Subs etc?
    We will have to agree to disagree there - the Fender CS Strats (which I own quite a few - superb guitar!) may have minor tweaks to pickup output and radius of finger boards, but the body profile, control and jack layout, overall neck and headstock shapes are pretty much spot on to the originals. Put it this way, if you had an original '62 next to a CS Relic '62 I think most folk would struggle to tell the difference.

The Omega SM300 isn't a bad representation, but the Tudor Pelagos is nothing like a Snowflake other than the handset IMHO

The gilt dial subs is interesting at I'd argue Rolex have gone near to that with the Tudor BB (albeit with the different coloured bezel inlays), and overall I much prefer the way Rolex / Tudor are drawing on their history by taking only a limited amount of DNA and coming up with a new watch. The Omega is a bit of a fail as to me it's almost too similar to the original, and then given the price you'd have to question why you wouldn't go for NOS one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post

(not my pic)
    That looks lovely, and I do like the square hour markers, something that I think Tudor got wrong with the BB.

Journeyman
    It looks like a dish plate on a piece of string to me