closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gloves

Gloves

There's always a lot of good sartorial advice on offer in this neighbourhood but I haven't seen much comment on the subject of gloves.

A few years back I decided to treat myself to a nice pair of gloves. Just from John Lewis but nice cashmere lined leather gloves. I really liked them but they were always just a little bit tight. So, when they finally wore out I decided to replace them with the same but next size up (moving from medium to large). I was wearing these replacements for the first time this year and thinking these ones feel a bit too big. Got me thinking about tailor made gloves, whether they are available and how much that would cost. So, a little bit of googling later I discovered the science of glove sizing and that there are indeed some very fine looking manufactures kicking about such as Dents and Chester Jefferies.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience or view on gloves? Who makes the best? If you spend good money on gloves, how long do they last? Can you get the lining replaced? Does the measuring system used on the website deliver good results?

Cheers
    David

Master
    My brother got me a pair of quilted Dunhill gloves a few years back. Lambskin leather, cashmere lined. Extremely soft leather, comfortable on the inside. Absolutely divine.

I find most commercial gloves a bit tight, I do have a nice pair of leather ones that fit well, but they are quite thin, a made to measure pair would be great, never even thought of it.

I have found Mutka gloves to be very comfortable. http://www.juhanimutka.fi/

However, as in daily use the gloves last quite a long time, I tend to buy a lot more hobby gloves.

These are really good for shooting and related stuff:

These I like a lot when it is not freezing:

These are good for bailing out of high buildings etc: (unfortunately can't afford choplifter)

And finally these are great for working with snow or setting up masts in the winter:

Grand Master
    I had my Barbour Leather ones on tonight and they were cosy as. Got them in brown last year and then grabbed the black in the sale

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 3rd December 2014 at 22:47.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Davidww View Post
    Got me thinking about tailor made gloves, whether they are available and how much that would cost. So, a little bit of googling later I discovered the science of glove sizing and that there are indeed some very fine looking manufactures kicking about such as Dents and Chester Jefferies.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience or view on gloves? Who makes the best? If you spend good money on gloves, how long do they last? Can you get the lining replaced? Does the measuring system used on the website deliver good results?

I recently ordered my first pair of gloves from Chester Jefferies. I sent in my measurements, followed by tracings of both hands.

I only ordered them at the beginning of November so I think that I've still got a few more weeks until they'll be ready. I'll report back when they arrive.

Viz top tip. Buy gloves three sizes too large and wear cheap gloves underneath. Nor only do you look like a man with big fingers, but linings never need replacing.

Or buy some sealskinz.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thanks all

Hako, they all look like some serious bits of kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I recently ordered my first pair of gloves from Chester Jefferies. I sent in my measurements, followed by tracings of both hands.

I only ordered them at the beginning of November so I think that I've still got a few more weeks until they'll be ready. I'll report back when they arrive.
    Bravo73, I'd be really interested to hear how you get on with the made to measure ones.

Cheers
    David

I believe DENTS do made to measure but not sure,

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    I believe DENTS do made to measure but not sure,
    Not according to someone from Dents who was interviewed on Radio 2 (I think) recently.

These look very similar to Gloves, Northern Ireland, non-marking.

A quick note about Dents customer service; it's excellent. I have a pair of driver's gloves, one of which found its' way inadvertently into the washing machine. Just before I was going to throw them out I had the brainwave to contact Dents via the customer contact form on their website to see if they could recommend a leather treatment that might breath some life back into the leather. I received an email almost immediately from their customer services director inviting me to post the glove in and a week later I receive a replacement glove from a box of odds and sods they keep in the workshop. It might be a half a size out but if you weren't looking I don't think you'd notice. A really superb experience.

Journeyman
    I've never had bespoke gloves but the advice I've seen is its not necessarily worth it. I'd try the good quality brands Merola, Dents etc. some will fit you better than others, but there are much smaller increments than S,M,L. If you can't try in a shop then order several online and try them to see what is best. Remember gloves are like shoes and will give a bit over time, so you want them on the tighter rather than looser side.

I like unlined gloves in peccary, but my hands don't get that cold.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Viz top tip. Buy gloves three sizes too large and wear cheap gloves underneath. Nor only do you look like a man with big fingers, but linings never need replacing.

Or buy some sealskinz.
    in a similar vein i have these and been excellent so far!

http://www.uggaustralia.co.uk/2-in-1...gid=men-gloves

Was searching through and thought it better to revive this thread than start another.

I’ve received a pair of made to measure gloves in Peccary leather lined with cashmere. Reasonable price excellent service and on inspection and wear they are lovely gloves!

https://i.imgur.com/dE4jnD3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7mDYwcr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have big hands and long fingers, and you know what that means. I have a fantastic pair of Dunhill pigskin gloves lined with cashmere but the fingers are a bit stumpy. Jaegar did the best ones but they went bust. I also have Dunhill driving gloves which are perfect if you have a very thin bakelite steering wheel in your car and need to grip it properly.
    "A man of little significance"

I wear two types of gloves, these(above) which are indicator surgical gloves and when the outer one gets punctured, then the green shows through and you can see the tear. Very clever.

and MacWet gloves for shooting,

which are really great, but not in white !! Brown is much more forgiving.

Both are usually covered in blood by the end of the day !

Craftsman
    I just got a pair of these for my birthday:

https://www.dentsgloves.com/en/mens-...riving-gloves/

Make driving my Land Rover feel just like an Aston Martin

Master
    Chester Jefferies. Made to order. As I have a prosthetic I only need one glove so they made me two left handed of my choice. Very handy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I had my Barbour Leather ones on tonight and they were cosy as. Got them in brown last year and then grabbed the black in the sale

I have the black quilted version of these and really like them. Would buy another pair for sure.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I have the black quilted version of these and really like them. Would buy another pair for sure.
    I did love them but they have started to come apart I noticed this week. !

RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I did love them but they have started to come apart I noticed this week. !

How long have you had them? I’ve had mine 3 years and they’re pretty much as good as new tbh and they are worn a fair bit when the weather permits.

Madova in Florence make lovely gloves, they have a rudimentary website but the shop is a must see if visiting the city and you like gloves! There is another glove shop nearby but cant remember the name.
    Literally thousands of pairs on display and you rest you elbow on a special stand while they fit you a glove.

Bought a couple of pairs both cashmere lined and unlined in kid leather.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have these, a tad pricey but absolutely stunning.

https://www.dentsgloves.com/en/herit...peccary-glove/

I bought them from the Dents factory shop so came in a little cheaper than retail.

If you are feeling really flush then Lavabre Cadet (owned by Camille Fournet) do some very special gloves indeed, including a made to measure or full bespoke.
    Last edited by ben4watches; 13th December 2018 at 11:14.

Craftsman
    What are the best gloves from the perspective of warmth?

Would I be better going with something from a company like Dent or would something bigger from Hestra be better?

Master
    Warmest gloves I've worn are my Sealskinz and then my Tog24. Both good but the Tog24 are a bit bulky so go for the Sealskinz all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Warmest gloves I've worn are my Sealskinz and then my Tog24. Both good but the Tog24 are a bit bulky so go for the Sealskinz all the time.

Nothing particularly stylish for me.
    For warmth I have a nice pair of North Face Goretex Wind stopper gloves. They are fine as long as it's not raining too hard.
    All my other gloves are either fairly thin cycling gloves or motorbike gloves (of which I have loads). I also use Mechanix gloves when I'm working on the car / bike & they are really good bits of kit.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    What are the best gloves from the perspective of warmth?

Would I be better going with something from a company like Dent or would something bigger from Hestra be better?
    Black Diamond Guide Gloves

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com...01516_cfg.html

Good to -29 (allegedly). If you need anything warmer, it will be down filled mitts

Master
    I can vouch for Dents, had a pair of these for a few years (they weren't the price they are now; thankfully!), but beautifully made and very cosy gloves and no sign of wear, which is amazing as I wear them constantly over the autumn and winter months.
    https://www.dentsgloves.com/en/mens-...eerskin-glove/