closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: State of the Omega collection

State of the Omega collection

I still have aspirations to produce a proper photo shoot to do these beauties justice, but for now here's a brief show-and-tell featuring six out of the seven Omegas currently in my collection. They are pictured here in the order I obtained them. (click the image for bigger size)

Not pictured:

1950's Seamaster - This is just a simple "gentleman's watch" with a very well preserved original cream-coloured face, Arabic numerals at 12, 3, and 9, and seconds on a sub-dial at 6. It's been off at the watchmaker's for ages, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see it again. Apparently finding original hands for Cal. 342 is more difficult than anticipated.

Back row:

Aqua Terra 8500 38.5mm - The blue-dialed "Skyfall" version. This was my first Omega and my first really high-end wristwatch (measuring by my standards, anyway!). I love the beautiful blue dial and the way it plays with the light, but the view through the caseback is almost as nice. It's very comfortable on the wrist and a perfect size for me, although like all 8500-based watches it's a mite thicker than I'd like. I also do wish the hands had more lume on them. This watch gets worn most often when I'm more smartly dressed than usual at the office, as well as to events like weddings and so forth.

Speedmaster Professional (3570.50) - What can I say about the Moonwatch that hasn't already been said? This is simultaneously a fine scientific instrument, a beautiful exercise in proportions and design, and a piece of history you can wear on your wrist. I make my living in the aerospace industry and aviation is one of my other passions, so it's terrific to be able to combine my love of horology with my interest in aeronautics and space exploration.

Planet Ocean 2500 42mm - My second Bond Watch, and the best of the Planet Ocean models in my opinion. It's chunky and heavy, but not nearly to the same extent as the newer 8500-powered version. The bracelet is solid as bricks, but takes an infinite amount of fiddling about with half-links to get it sized properly. Here's a watch that could really stand to have some micro-adjustment capability. I love how this watch hearkens back to some of the quintessential design elements of the original Seamaster divers, while adding its own riffs to the basic melody.

Front row:

Dynamic III - This is the only Omega in my collection that I didn't love at first. I bought it because a deal came up that I couldn't refuse, and because I'm a bit of a completist once I get on a collecting kick. I wasn't really in the market for a Dynamic, but I figured I wouldn't have another chance at one, so I grabbed it. It came on a bracelet, and for the longest time I just really didn't connect with it. I even tried a couple different leather straps - tricky with 19mm lugs - and nothing quite jelled for me. It wasn't until I decided to stump up the cash for the OEM strap that this watch really came alive for me. I think it looks so much better now, and the whole package has really grown on me in unexpected ways. I like how thin and unobtrusive it is, and the dial is actually very readable despite the somewhat unusual numerals. Plus, it is a good stand-in for the 1953 RAF watch that I'd someday like to add to my military watch collection.

Railmaster 36mm - This was my holy grail for more than a year, thanks in no small part to the classic blog post that ignited the fires of Railmaster-lust in a thousands hearts. I searched and searched for this watch, and even ended up buying and flipping a 39mm version before I managed to find the midsize model. On my wrist the proportions are just so perfect - it's such a classic combination of beauty and usability that I am reminded of Antoine de Saint Exupéry's famous quote about perfection. Plus, the lume is excellent. I initially thought I would put it on leather, but the bracelet is just so comfortable to wear that I forget I even have it on. I can't say enough nice things about my Railmaster.

Watchco Seamaster 300 - I just got this one in a couple days ago, and I'm actually wearing it as I type this. I'd been looking for one for quite some time, so when the opportunity to pry this one away from a friend arose I jumped on it without thinking twice. This one has recently been serviced and fitted with a unique sapphire caseback by Al of Archer Watch. The arguments about Watchco and authenticity have already been hashed over, so I won't get into it here; suffice to say I like it and I'm satisfied to call it an Omega. The Seamaster 300 is such a beautiful and iconic artifact, I think it's a crime it was ever out of production. But then again, if not for its scarcity, I wouldn't be able to have the feeling of time travel that comes over me when I wear this watch.

The future:

I actually just closed a deal to purchase a 1940's Omega W.W.W., so I suppose for the next collection update I'll have to increase the total count to eight!
    Last edited by workahol; 6th December 2014 at 17:05.

Omegad! That's a lot of Omega goodness.

I'm not at all envious...

How long have you been on this quest taken so far?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 5th December 2014 at 22:22.

Very very nice.Omega PO probably one of my favorite and most owned watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Omegad! That's a lot of Omega goodness.

I'm not at all envious...

How long have you been on this quest taken so far?
    Thanks mate! I've been wearing a wristwatch since I was a lad, but have only recently gotten the horology bug in a serious way... due in no small part, I think, to moving into middle age and getting tired of being constantly surrounded by digital technology. There's just something so nice about a proper mechanical timepiece. Well, I suppose I don't have to say that here do I?

It was probably only two-three years ago that I bought my first Swiss piece. I worked my way up the ladder, buying and flipping various watches until I figured out what I really liked. For some reason the Omegas of the 90's and early 2000's have really stuck with me, although I don't particularly care for some of their most recent models. I have several watches from other manufacturers too of course, including a pair from our host Eddie, but the Omegas represent the bulk of my "fancy watch" collection. I've also been getting into British military watch collecting in a big way, but that's a subject for a future thread...

Master
    Wow, awesome collection, I really fancy a moonwatc one day, thanks for sharing

Craftsman
    Fantastic collection!

That's exactly how I'd like my collection to look (rather than the collection of beaters I currently have ).

Lovely collection indeed! The skyfall really is a beauty...and the Speedy...and the Dynamic...ok they all are!

Ps. Welcome Gunman, good to see another N.I member here!!

The thing I love about Omegas is the sheer variety of watches they've made over the years.

The Railmaster is my favourite of your great collection.

Blog Entries
    That's a lovely set and perfectly put to bed.

In my JLC quest my 45.5 PO is next outer for me but then you see threads and words like this one and I really question if it should go.......

Enjoy 'em

Paul

That Skyfall AT is the flagship for me - a perfect watch.

Apprentice
    Lovely collection...I would like to say which one is my favourite but can't!

Quote Originally Posted by bazsc View Post
    Lovely collection...I would like to say which one is my favourite but can't!
    Thanks... that's been my problem also, or else I would be able to get by with a smaller watch box!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Agree, although you gotta have a speedie.

OP might consider something in white though next. And then blue. Its very lovely but all a bit samey...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Thanks... that's been my problem also, or else I would be able to get by with a smaller watch box!

Go on then I will try; I love the 'Skyfall' but the Railmaster is the one I would take if I had to make the choice. The whole idea of it evokes nostalgia and it is such a classic design

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    That does look very nice indeed, doesn't it? How does it differ from the regular AT?

Apprentice
    Nice collection!
    Like myself, you need a lighter dial Omega, start saving for the (eventually) new Constellation Globemaster that Omega has on the pipeline.

Here are mine

Craftsman
    Great collection!
    Just out of interest where did you purchase the WWW from? Do you have any pre pictures of it??
    I'm also looking to take the hit on one, hence my interest :p

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    That does look very nice indeed, doesn't it? How does it differ from the regular AT?
    It's no different from the non master coaxial ATs except for the blue dial, which is stunning. It's called the "Skyfall" as a Daniel Craig wore it for most of the movie (he wore the 8500 PO at the beginning).

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    OP might consider something in white though next. And then blue. Its very lovely but all a bit samey...
    Ah yes, although if you'll note above you'll see that I do in fact have both a white/cream-dialed Omega (not pictured) as well as the blue Aqua Terra featured at stage left...

I do admit to a certain... shall we say, thematic consistency in my collection. What can I say, I like what I like, as I'm sure you like what you like. It's what makes this hobby great! :)

Craftsman
    Great collection. I'd be happy to own any of them. I'm quite happy with my 8500 PO as my only "expensive" watch, but see myself adding an AT and speedie at some point.

Master
    Really love the Dynamic and the Railmaster you have. And the Planet Ocean.

That said, they're all great watches and you've one heck of a collection.

Craftsman
    WOW;the only piece missing from an ensemble like that is the Seamaster 2230.50 non-Americas Cup.You have a truly superb collection and taste .

I have had so many Omegas and currently don't own a single one which is a shame as I love the brand and the heritage.

A special Speedy of some kind (LE or a nice 321) might get the juices going again... Somebody posted the Apollo XI LE on a Friday thread and I genuinely thought 'wow'.

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    WOW;the only piece missing from an ensemble like that is the Seamaster 2230.50 non-Americas Cup.You have a truly superb collection and taste .
    Cheers for that. I was in fact expecting someone to ask why I have neither a 2531 or a 2254 in the box. The answer is that I like most everything about the Bond watch but simply can't get on with the skeleton hands; similarly, I'm a fan of the 2254 but for reasons I can't articulate the numerals on the bezel put me off. But the 2230 now, hmm... Shame on you for giving me such thoughts!

Or perhaps I should combine the 2531 and 2254 like this fellow did... would you call this a 2392.5?

On second thought, probably best to skip that idea...

Journeyman
    Cracking collection, very jealous! Next up for me is either a Speedy or an Aqua Terra to add to my PO.

Superb example of the Watchco SM300. I would have dived on that myself. I agree with your outlook on authenticity. If that was in my wrist I would feel quite comfortable.

Banned
    Ah yes, although if you'll note above you'll see that I do in fact have both a white/cream-dialed Omega (not pictured) as well as the blue Aqua Terra featured at stage left...

I do admit to a certain... shall we say, thematic consistency in my collection. What can I say, I like what I like, as I'm sure you like what you like. It's what makes this hobby great! :)
    Yes so you do, my bad. I didn't look closely at the pic to note it was a blue AT - pitfalls of posting on your phone!
    nothing wrong with liking what you like. God knows there are some folks who spend decades getting through hundreds of watches trying to figure it out!

Apprentice
    Great collection. The Speedy alone is probably enough for most people, such a timeless watch. The dial light play on the 8500 AT's really are a huge step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Agree, although you gotta have a speedie.

The problem with the AQ for me is the bracelet. The version on the older model is superior IMHO, and whereas the older Rolex bracelets felt too like and unsubstantial compared to the Omega equivalents - it is now the other way round. I do like the new adjustable clasps on the MKII etc. now though :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Would be interested to know how you find the size of the watchco SM300 compared to your other watches.

I've been considering one, but thought it may be a bit big and bulky. I too have a Dynamic III and a 38.5 AT and find these perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Would be interested to know how you find the size of the watchco SM300 compared to your other watches.

I've been considering one, but thought it may be a bit big and bulky. I too have a Dynamic III and a 38.5 AT and find these perfect.
    I like divers, but I tend to go for the more classically-sized ones over the huge beasts that have shown up following the big-watch trend. Aside from the SM300, I've also got a PRS-82 from our host, as well as a Mk II Nassau - both 40 mm or thereabouts. My PO is the biggest of the lot at 42mm with a big chunky case.

I find that the SM300 wears a bit smaller than the Planet Ocean, or at least feels smaller since it's much lighter and the case is thinner. Another way to consider it is that the SM300 case is about the same size as the Speedmaster Professional (both diameter and lug-to-lug) and the whole watch is a bit thicker, but it doesn't appear any bigger on the wrist because the dial is smaller due to the presence of the bezel.

Shorter version, the SM300 is fantastic even if you've got small wrists like me. I've been wearing it on a black Bradystraps Sailcloth strap, which is very comfortable and looks the business.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to know how it wears, I can get away with a speedy pro, so will have to look out for a SM300 and give it a try. Although I think they have just undergone a resurgence in popularity following 2 nice examples on SC.

Almost not worth the bother (with the quality of the pic), but here is my current omega SOTC. I've also got a brace of chronostop's which are up for sale and a black dial pie-pan that is tucked away for the future. Will try to do some better pics over x-mas sometime.

Top row: Seamaster 861 chronograph, F300hz constellation, dynamic III, Schumacher speedmaster auto.
    Bottom row: Seamaster calendar, constellation Pie-pan, geneve dynamic and 321 speedmaster

Nice! Plenty of vintage goodness in there. And two totally different generations of Dynamic that are not often seen together.

I agree, if you can pull off the Speedy you can pull off a SM300. Finding one is the trick however. Good luck!

Grand Master
    Nice Omegas on show, a few watches I also own and a few I`ve owned in the past. The 36.2mm Railmaster is one I`d be interested in if one came my way, but they're hard to find.

As for the 'Watchco' Seamaster 300, I was sorely tempted to keep the one I`ve just built and sold on SC. They are nice.

The 1990s Dynamic's a favourite of mine and I finally acquired one recently, just waiting for a bracelet to arrive (back-order from Cousins).

I`m also big fan of the 60s Dynamics, owning 3 at the moment in my own collection. Just finishing restoration on another (blue bullseye dial) that'll be on SC in a day or two.

It's a shame Omega are going in the direction they've chosen; some of the stuff they've produced in the past is excellent and affordable .

Paul

Grand Master
    I agree, if you can pull off the Speedy you can pull off a SM300.
    +1.....the Speedy is the same dimensions but it wears bigger owing to the large dial and narrow bezel. I`m not happy with a full-size Speedy on my skinny wrists but I`m OK with the SM300.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It's a shame Omega are going in the direction they've chosen; some of the stuff they've produced in the past is excellent and affordable .
    I quite agree personally. In fact I just wrote this on another forum:

I really liked what Omega were doing up through just a few years ago. But aside from my beloved Aqua Terra 8500, everything else they've brought out in the current decade has just made me appreciate the old models all the more. It's far too early to tell, but my feeling is that history is going to be really kind to some of the Omega models from the 90's and early 2000's.
    Last edited by workahol; 7th December 2014 at 21:21.

Master
    Absolutely superb collection of some of the nicest omegas out there. I'd like to own the po, speedy and at in particular.

Journeyman
    Wow.......stunning collection.

Craftsman
    Nice. I so want to add a Speedmaster 57 in Blue/Red to the collection. I need to wait a few more years until they come down in price and are available 2nd hand.