closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Second life of a watch strap

Apprentice

Question Second life of a watch strap

Hi to everybody!
    There are a lot of messages for straps selling. Everything is ok, but one important thing, straps not new, they have been worn before.
    As for me, I have never put on on my watches used straps. Because it is not good either from an aesthetic side or hygienic side. Even, when I decided to order old watch I always change a strap. What is yours point of view about this?

I have no problem with a used strap in good condition. A lot of times on forums you'll find straps for sale that have merely been tried on, so no real hygiene issue there.
    Usually, I'll wipe leather straps down with some disinfectant, Nato straps go for a spin in the washing-machine.
    Last edited by dschaen81; 10th November 2014 at 14:18.

Master
    i understand where you are coming from,i always ultrasonically clean bracelets but some of the better quality natural leather straps which have seen a lot of use develop such a lovely patina i overlook the DNA side of things and leave them on..

Master
    I've never heard of anyone contracting a disease from a used watch strap. Probably safer than petting a dog or a kiss under the mistletoe...

You sit on a bus, train, lean your head back on a seat.

Petrol pump, door handles.

Coins in your pocket are heaving with heaven knows what.

Leather can be washed - soap flakes rather than detergent.

If a leather strap gets manky, it can be washed with saddle soap. Once dried, the leather should be treated to replenish the oils that the soap has washed out.

Craftsman
    its always good to clean an used strap before wearing it. i sometimes clean my own straps after a longer period of wearing them. a 60% alcohol solution is the way to go :)

Bought several pre-owned straps and never had an issue.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by natolover View Post
    Hi to everybody!...As for me, I have never put on on my watches used straps. Because it is not good either from an aesthetic side or hygienic side. Even, when I decided to order old watch I always change a strap. What is yours point of view about this?
    Hello, welcome to the forum.

Hygiene: plenty of answers have been posted above, but what (and how) are you going to catch from a watch strap (unless you feel the need to suck it)?

Aesthetics: have you heard of a new distressed leather strap? Putting an old classic with signs of age on a new strap can look fine, but there are other looks too.