closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the deepest depth rated watch?

Whats the deepest depth rated watch?

Just curious to what the deepest rated watch out there is?
    Last edited by senraw; 7th December 2014 at 20:50.

Master
    Hi
    I have a Breitling Superocean Professional that says 5,000 foot on the dial. Not that I've ever taken it lower than the deep end of the swimming pool though!!

Whats the deepest depth rated watch?

And given that they will only ever be worn around Canary Wharf and London wine bars does it have any relevance?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And given that they will only ever be worn around Canary Wharf and London wine bars does it have any relevance?
    Know what you mean. Many have said that the only thing about me that's capable of operating at any depth is my watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    UTS make a 4000m rated, and Pita Barcelona make a 5000m.

CX Swiss is the highest rated on the market at the moment I think at 6000m.

People spending 5-6-7+ grand on watches that can go deeper than any diver possibly can FFS, do they also claim to be ex SBS, SAS and possibly 007?

I've got a 36,900ft Hyperbar

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

That must come in handy

Think it's this

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    People spending 5-6-7+ grand on watches that can go deeper than any diver possibly can FFS, do they also claim to be ex SBS, SAS and possibly 007?
    Why don't you just STFU, stop whining, and allow others to hold a discussion about watches on a watch forum.

You are doing this on numerous threads, if you don't like the subject or have nothing constructive to add, don't bloody well post.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Think it's this

Albeit completely unwearable, day to day, that's one hell of an achievement...

That must come in handy
    It does. Tells the time and everything. Even fits under a shirt cuff.

Craftsman
    My father has Omega Speedmaster with 50m deep rating. He always said that if watch goes thar deep, he hopes that it is not attached to him...

-OD

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Why don't you just STFU, stop whining, and allow others to hold a discussion about watches on a watch forum.

You are doing this on numerous threads, if you don't like the subject or have nothing constructive to add, don't bloody well post.
    I totally agree with you Seadog. (Sounds like he lives up to his username.) ;)

Do they use a different metric system to everyone else? 12000m = 39370ft (As per the Rolex).

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Ha yeah, might struggle to get under a cuff ;-) although some people on Google images are trying to convince themselves otherwise LOL

Apart from Broussard's offering above, I think the only other wearable 12,000m watch is the Sinn UX (although they say the quartz movement will only survive to 5000m)

Hey hey hey ok point made, I'm not actually whining, so just two questions, what is the max depth a human can dive without being inside a deep sea vehicle, and were you inside say Alvin diving say on Titanic, would you need to wear anything more robust than a £20 Casio?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There is an interesting piece on jakes Rolex blog (I know), showing the deepsea challenge next to the original deepsea, apart from the crystal, they are quite similar in thickness.

Mike

I cant do pics as still onboard with no access.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Do they use a different metric system to everyone else? 12000m = 39370ft (As per the Rolex).
    I know LOL

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I totally agree with you Seadog. (Sounds like he lives up to his username.) ;)
    Laugh,,,,
    I thought id never start

Master
    Technomarine Abyss is oil filled like the Sinn and rated to 12000m.... Not seen any new examples for sale for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I think it's a printing error.

The Hypertech and SDW versions both say 39,600ft.
    Last edited by Broussard; 7th December 2014 at 22:22.

Hey hey hey ok point made, I'm not actually whining, so just two questions, what is the max depth a human can dive without being inside a deep sea vehicle, and were you inside say Alvin diving say on Titanic, would you need to wear anything more robust than a £20 Casio?
    1) Theoretically about 600m
    2) No.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I think it's a printing error.

The Hypertech and SDW versions both say 39,600ft.
    But that's still wrong :-/

But that's still wrong :-/
    True. *Technically* the test was to 1200 atmospheres, so it should be 40,680ft of water...

But watch companies *almost always* mess up their depths: very few of them seem to get atm / feet / metres, and most forget that we're *already* at one atm.

If it's not an oil filled watch then that must mean the inside of a watch case is also pressurised to 1 atmosphere (unless it was assembled in a vacuum) which I would have thought negates atmospheric pressure?

Yes - it is a feat of engineering ingenuity to design and build a watch that can withstand that sort of pressure. That is its relevance and its art. To claim that it is irrelevant because it is over-engineered for practical purposes is to completely miss the point. Many of the most desirable and exciting objects ever made are so desirable because they are designed and built to withstand or surpass physical extremes.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Point made but not taken on board.
    Why make cars that can go beyond 70mph?
    Why buy cars that can go beyond 70mph?
    Why be interested in anything that goes above and beyond basic necessity?
    And so on and so on and so on.

Humans push boundaries, in any field, because they can.
    Sometimes other humans find this interesting.
    Hopefully that explains bonkers depth ratings on watches (just cos) and jumping to earth from outer space (just cos) and the Bugatti veyron (just cos)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Hopefully that explains bonkers depth ratings on watches (just cos) and jumping to earth from outer space (just cos) and the Bugatti veyron (just cos)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    If it's not an oil filled watch then that must mean the inside of a watch case is also pressurised to 1 atmosphere (unless it was assembled in a vacuum) which I would have thought negates atmospheric pressure?
    Un less in a vacuum duncan, yes there will be atmospheric pressure in a watch ( lets say it's 1atm/1bar), when that watch gets to 50m seawater depth there is 6 bar pressure pushing on it and the 1 bar pushing back.

Aas an aside, atmospheric pressure is fluid, when I sat dive, my watch starts at 1 ATM , then I am pressurised to storage depth, let's say 10 bar absolute, when the helium leeches into my watch, it's internal atmospheric pressure is now 10 bar!, so when I go and dive at 180m (19 bar) there is only a small differential pressure!!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Yeah ok, if you believe that this stuff needs to be proven, (as it already has been) marketed and sold then as you wend your weary way home in your Veyron through the rush hour traffic at 20 MPH whilst glancing at your DSSD enjoy, I have no axe to grind, but it seems a tad silly in the great scheme of things,

Banned
    Its the silly stuff that makes life interesting.

do you need fancy food? Quality booze? fancy watches, cars, clothes, houses or travel? Art? Music? Literature?

no to any of it.

But who wants to life a bare subsistence if you dont have to?

Grand Master
    Ha yeah, might struggle to get under a cuff ;-) although some people on Google images are trying to convince themselves otherwise LOL
    That's the Deep Sea Challenge, right? Only a handful made, experimental and not really intended for wearing. I'm sure the standard Deep Sea gets worn in wine bars, but let's face it, lots of watches are bigger than 43mm across or 18mm thick, and none of them have anything like the depth rating of the DS.

Let anyone who doesn't have a car that can go more than 70 mph cast another stone ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    That's the Deep Sea Challenge, right? Only a handful made, experimental and not really intended for wearing. I'm sure the standard Deep Sea gets worn in wine bars, but let's face it, lots of watches are bigger than 43mm across or 18mm thick, and none of them have anything like the depth rating of the DS.

Let anyone who doesn't have a car that can go more than 70 mph cast another stone ;).
    That'd be me!

I'm all for dive watches you can strap the the side of deep sea submersibles, but I do think fast cars are a bit silly.

I'm a whatever floats your boat kind of guy though. Who am Ito judge.

Consider that the Titanic lies at 12,500 ft (3800m) and consider the cost and scarcity of a submersible that can take you there, then it's truly amazing that you can buy a mass manufactured watch in the high street (albeit costing about the same as a new base model Daewoo) that can withstand the same depths.

imo that either impresses you, or you have no soul. YMMV.

(That said intact, unopened bottles of champagne survived the sinking of the Titanic, so stick a £20 casio inside an empty bottle of Moet and save a few quid )

I love over-engineering - and watch-making is all about that.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Repost.... please ignore.
    Last edited by alljay; 8th December 2014 at 01:26.

Banned
    Its not that impressive on oil filled watches. Quite a few mediocre pieces achieve it.

on non oil filled? Now that is interesting engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Yes - it is a feat of engineering ingenuity to design and build a watch that can withstand that sort of pressure. That is its relevance and its art. To claim that it is irrelevant because it is over-engineered for practical purposes is to completely miss the point. Many of the most desirable and exciting objects ever made are so desirable because they are designed and built to withstand or surpass physical extremes.
    Agreed it's a feat of engineering ingenuity to design a watch to withstand such pressure but why the concentration on pressure? What about other extremes, temperature for example.

Seems that watches have evolved for this to be a 'feature' that buyers are especially interested in.

In theory a liquid filled diver should be able to go down to almost any depth right? The Sinn UX is one example though the movement is rated to only 5000m before the quartz crystal shatters or something

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agreed it's a feat of engineering ingenuity to design a watch to withstand such pressure but why the concentration on pressure? What about other extremes, temperature for example.

Seems that watches have evolved for this to be a 'feature' that buyers are especially interested in.
    May be because these are DIVE watches.
    I admire non oil filled watches with high WR , as long as it is not an empty claim. I am not a diver but that doesn't matter. It is not really about where is it is worn or by whom it is worn and what it is worn for. It is some people's mission in life to whine about it and make feeble and unsuccessful but persistent attempts to mock this.

All extreme is great with an edge.. that's what makes us.

http://iwmagazine.com/2013/08/27/top...eepest-depths/

Blancpain 55 Fathoms
    Rolex Deepsea

Clio V6
    Mercedes CLK 55 AMG Black

Ducati Panigale
    Ducati Desmosedici

Matchless Fullham Coat
    Ruby Belvedere

Crazy Pig
    Stephen Webster

One Plus One
    Huawei P7

Jeffery West
    Officine Creative

Olivers People
    Marc Jacobs

Dolce and Gabbana

Loewe
    Naim Audio

Huf Haus

Oh it's bed time..
    Last edited by speedish; 8th December 2014 at 03:38.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    1) Theoretically about 600m
    2) No.

R
    The current SCUBA dive record is 332.35m

Yeah ok, if you believe that this stuff needs to be proven, (as it already has been) marketed and sold then as you wend your weary way home in your Veyron through the rush hour traffic at 20 MPH whilst glancing at your DSSD enjoy, I have no axe to grind, but it seems a tad silly in the great scheme of things,
    I cannot understand why you are on a watch forum with that mind-set - 99% of the members here don't *require* a watch more complex than a £10 timex from argos nor more than one watch but I bet nobody here (maybe you?) own only a £10 timex in their collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I'm a bit confused... what makes a DSSD "completely unwearable"?!

Simon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm a bit confused... what makes a DSSD "completely unwearable"?!

Simon
    Umbongo was talking about the deepsea challenge, which is pretty unwearable!, the standard deepsea is of course wearable .

Mike

Aah right - my mistake :)

Simon

Umbongo was talking about the deepsea challenge, which is pretty unwearable!, the standard deepsea is of course wearable .

Mike
    The Challenge is wearable - the "challenge" would be not walking in circles with all that weight on one wrist

I love this kind of stuff though - yes it's over engineered and not particularly useful in the real world, but it pushes technical boundaries to see just what is achievable for no other reason than to see what is achievable!
    It's that human instinct to want to improve, refine, go further and faster, take the ordinary and make it extraordinary, make the best even better etc; that is what drives mankind and that is why we are the dominant species.

Rich.

Grand Master
    I truly admire the engineering of a deep diver, its like a car that does 155mph but we dont go above 80! Its nice to know it can and also if it can stand that kind of pressure then itll be perfect for urban and rural life with me
    RIAC