closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's winter boot time

Hybrid View

I've just been through the boot-buying process, as it happens. For me it came down to the Red Wing Beckmans and the Wolverine Thousand Mile boots. I knew Red Wings had a great reputation for quality and durability - provided you can make it through the arduous breaking-in process. The Wolverines I didn't know much about when I started looking.

Whilst trying on the Wolverines I found them to be great-looking and also comfortable, although I didn't care for the smooth leather sole that I knew would slip on snow and ice (which we get a lot of here). I liked the commando sole on the Red Wings, but during the trying-on phase I couldn't find a size that was even close to comfortable. The nice lady at the shop said "oh yes, you will probably have blisters for the first few weeks", to which I said "balls to that" and bought the Wolverines. Then I had my shoe guy put on a commando lug sole protector, which has upped the grip tremendously. The result looks like this:

After a few days of wearing they're getting broken in nicely and are very comfortable. They're also great-looking, I think. The leather is Horween, which I suppose makes this post somewhat watch-related in a way...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I've just been through the boot-buying process, as it happens. For me it came down to the Red Wing Beckmans and the Wolverine Thousand Mile boots. I knew Red Wings had a great reputation for quality and durability - provided you can make it through the arduous breaking-in process. The Wolverines I didn't know much about when I started looking.

Whilst trying on the Wolverines I found them to be great-looking and also comfortable, although I didn't care for the smooth leather sole that I knew would slip on snow and ice (which we get a lot of here). I liked the commando sole on the Red Wings, but during the trying-on phase I couldn't find a size that was even close to comfortable. The nice lady at the shop said "oh yes, you will probably have blisters for the first few weeks", to which I said "balls to that" and bought the Wolverines. Then I had my shoe guy put on a commando lug sole protector, which has upped the grip tremendously. The result looks like this:

After a few days of wearing they're getting broken in nicely and are very comfortable. They're also great-looking, I think. The leather is Horween, which I suppose makes this post somewhat watch-related in a way...
    Really like those 1000 mile boots been thinking about getting the cordovan number 8 ones for a while but not seen them in the flesh yet and everyone I talk too says the build quality is shocking?

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Really like those 1000 mile boots been thinking about getting the cordovan number 8 ones for a while but not seen them in the flesh yet and everyone I talk too says the build quality is shocking?
    Shockingly good I hope! I've not had them long enough to test durability over the long haul, but the out of the box experience has been super. Mine are the basic brown colour, by the way. In person they have a bit of a reddish tint, not totally unlike Horween #2.

Regarding fit, I'm typically a US size 10.5, but I found I needed to go a full size down to a 9.5 for a good fit. However the flat bottom didn't feel as if it was giving me enough arch support, so I went up to a 10 and put in a pair of my favourite Aetrex L400 insoles. Result: perfect fit and very comfy.

Master
    Quick boot related question - how do you guys decide on size.

I'm torn on slightly bigger to accomodate thick socks, or an initial snug fitting and hope they stretch somewhat?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Quick boot related question - how do you guys decide on size.

I'm torn on slightly bigger to accomodate thick socks, or an initial snug fitting and hope they stretch somewhat?
    Got to try them on I'm afraid. I now have four pairs of Grenson - all the same size but weirdly they are fine with either normal cotton socks or slightly thicker Bridgedale walking socks!