closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: very nearly lost my submariner tonight

Master

very nearly lost my submariner tonight

Was at my daughters school carol service this evening when i felt something bash me on the foot, when i look down to see what it was i had to do a double take as it looks like a ceramic sub! then it dawns on me its my ceramic sub, felt sick as i picked it up but luckily it has no damage as it had a soft landing on to my foot and not on to the concrete floor, if it had landed on the concrete i don't think i would have noticed and i certainly wouldn't have heard it over all the noise.
    The screw has come out of the end link where it joins the clasp, I'm guessing it wasn't done up tight when the bracelet was adjusted so a lesson to all, loctite the bracelet screws!
    I looked everywhere for the one that was missing but to no avail.
    Does any one know where i can get one from without having to send the watch back? not even sure where my local AD is anymore as the one i did use no longer sells rolex.
    Maybe it needs to be on a £10 nato as it would be safer than the 1K bracelet

This is where its come undone and I'm not sure if all the screws are the same length as all the other ones seem to go right through but this is a blind hole

Journeyman
    Flip, I bet that was a scary moment!

Glad its all OK and 'just' the strap.....

Just pop in to a largish Rolex AD, there is a chance they'll do it for free.

Master
    Phew! That's a result and a half. Get the new screw and I'd loctite the others for peace of mind too...

Every new bracelet Rolex I have had, apart from my virtually unworn milguass has had this happen, or at least the screw come out part way!!! - on my Daytona I couldn't get the watch off as the screw was in the way of the clasp!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Every new bracelet Rolex I have had, apart from my virtually unworn milguass has had this happen, or at least the screw come out part way!!! - on my Daytona I couldn't get the watch off as the screw was in the way of the clasp!
    I had this happen to me last year in Las Vegas with my Milgauss. Thankfully it only fell onto the Blackjack table so a mere couple of inches. Luckily there are no shortage of Rolex ADs in Las Vegas so it was sorted FOC in a matter of minutes.

Happened to me with my Daytona. Certainly made me check all my Rolex bracelets.

Happened to my mate, clearly an issue

Banned
    That nearly happened to me with the DSSD but I felt the screw sticking out near the clasp so re tighten it, I now run my finger and thumb along the edges of the bracelet. the screws only need to be sticking out by about 2mm and the threads out the other side.

I must admit, I treat it like checking the oil and water of my cars. I have a look when I put the watches on - any sign of protruding screws and I tighten them with the screw driver - with my Daytona and DSSD I added a spot of locktite to the offending screw.

I did mean to add, that I am glad the watch didn't suffer any damage by the way. I can see, from Alex's post of the smashed Milgauss sapphire, how it could quite easily turn into a disaster and Rolex would not doubt shrug off any blame - as I am sure a screw could come loose on any bracelet, and indeed pins have fallen out of my Omega watches, a PO and former 2254, just seems strange that it appears to be happening more often - maybe no/different glues are used on the screws next to the clasp to aid initial fitting adjustments, or the new heavier clasps have some affect??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just checked my bracelets are all tight. You were really lucky as you said if it had not hit your foot, you could have lost it

Master
    So, what you're saying is (in essence) that all I need to do is invite 30 or so TURF members out for a drink in a carpeted bar and just sweep up the Daytonas afterwards? I'm on it!

I had my MM600 fall off my wrist on an outbound flight once.

My attempts to find the missing screw included me kneeling on the cabin floor and closely scrutinising my seat, much to the interest of fellow travellers and which raised the question “Have you lost a contact lens?” from one passenger and the offer of a pair of reading glasses from another.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I had a ( proper Rolex ) springbar pop out on mine in the shower the other day. Served as a very good reminder as to why I wear mine on a Nato!

N

Erm. Bit of a stupid and serious design flaw, innit? Considering what they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Erm. Bit of a stupid and serious design flaw, innit? Considering what they cost?
    It's not really a design flaw. it is integral in the design. Screws come loose from time to time. That's probably why cars have stated service intervals for example. The more movement is exerted on something the more likely it is to move - the constant changes of heat etc. will expand the screw and the link very slightly differently and then it can become loose.

IF you had the bracelet fitted correctly, and then had the screws glued you'd have a v secure bracelet - there are speciality glues just for such purposes, so it's not an issue, if you are on top of it, and the screws are easily removed even if glued - if you use a bit of heat.

The same screw kept coming loose on my SubC too, made it difficult to close the clasp.

I took it into a Mappin and Webb and they put some loctite on it for me, so far it has been fine.

Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one to have this issue, never had it with any other steel bracelet watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    So, what you're saying is (in essence) that all I need to do is invite 30 or so TURF members out for a drink in a carpeted bar and just sweep up the Daytonas afterwards? I'm on it!
    That made me laugh .

Blog Entries

This is a pic of my wife's Tudor 75090 that she nearly lost two years ago... Not only the screws need a check, but also the connector (or is there a special word for that thingy?)

Menno

Master
    does anyone know what loctite to use as there are lots of different grades, i have 3 different ones in the garage but i think they are probably too strong and would result in a broken screw if i ever tried to undo them, also anyone know what size the screw should be? cousins sell them but i need to know the size and obviously I've lost mine so can't even measure it

Aren't the others in the bracelet the same size ?

Master
    The others all look like they come all the way through and sit flush with the opposite side of the bracelet but that particular one doesn't and cousins only sell them in packs of 10 so I would rather be 100% on what I order than have 10 useless ones

I have a number of Rolex which date from 1967 to 1983 and I can say that in 34 years of Rolex ownership this has never happened to me. Very strange!

I use Loctite 243 (Blue) on bracelet screws as recommended by most of the brands I work on. Just put a small amount in the screw hole and tighten it down. Make sure the screw is clean otherwise it won't set correctly. It's strong enough to stop them coming loose but can still be removed fairly easily with a screwdriver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez View Post
    I use Loctite 243 (Blue) on bracelet screws as recommended by most of the brands I work on. Just put a small amount in the screw hole and tighten it down. Make sure the screw is clean otherwise it won't set correctly. It's strong enough to stop them coming loose but can still be removed fairly easily with a screwdriver.
    Thank you for that I will get some ordered and check all screws on all bracelets

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have a number of Rolex which date from 1967 to 1983 and I can say that in 34 years of Rolex ownership this has never happened to me. Very strange!
    Very very rarely have I ever notice a loose screw on an older 93150 etc. bracelet! Only the new ones for me in general.

As these are traditionally a divers watch (although I would imagine only a small % do actually dive with them). Just imagine if his happened in sea conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Very very rarely have I ever notice a loose screw on an older 93150 etc. bracelet! Only the new ones for me in general.
    I don't think there are screws on the 93150 - it's pin and collar isn't it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
    Aren't the others in the bracelet the same size ?

i just tried one of the other bracelet link screws and as suspected its too long, it sticks out and you cant open the clasp so its definitely either a shorter shank or same length shank and shorter thread but without knowing the exact size I'm loathed to order 10!

Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    Thank you for that I will get some ordered and check all screws on all bracelets
    I think the purple Loctite 222 is recommended for fine threads and that is what I have used without any problems. You can buy decants on eBay if don't want a whole bottle.

It is very important to get the threads clean before using and if want to remove a correctly sized screwdriver and possibly some heat although I have always found a quality screwdriver sufficient.

Journeyman
    When my AD fitted my sub they used loctite on the screws. As you say, the two end ones are shorter than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I don't think there are screws on the 93150 - it's pin and collar isn't it?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez View Post
    Throw any unused compund away after 2 years, it does go off.

Jg

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Screwed bracelets are a feature of cheaper watches too, and they're far easier to size than the friction pin (and easy-lose collar) type. However, they need to be Loctited. If not...

Master
    I think the fault is not with the Rolex bracelet design more with the pillock that adjusted the bracelet and didn't loctite it back up when he had finished!!

This is what happens if you wear your Rolex in the shower.