closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SPOTY Sports Personality 2014

Master

SPOTY Sports Personality 2014

Slam dunk to Hamilton or a two-horse race between McIlroy and Hamilton? or another?

Contenders http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/sports-personality/30179284
    Rory McIlroy
    Gareth Bale
    Max Whitlock
    Lewis Hamilton
    Adam Peaty
    Lizzy Yarnold
    Carl Froch
    Charlotte Dujardin
    Jo Pavey
    Kelly Gallagher and guide Charlotte Evans

Guess the team will be the Ryder Cup Team

Nailed-on for Lewis. They'll play on him joining the elite group of British double world champ winners. Nailed-on gong in the new year's list too.

Can't really complain, the boy did good.

Master
    Don't hold your breath on that one. Look at poor Button. He had just won the WC and they gave the award to Ryan Giggs !!! What he had achieved out of the ordinary that year I don't know.

Rory McIlroy, surely.

Multiple major winner, Ryder Cup winner and not a tw@t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Don't hold your breath on that one. Look at poor Button. He had just won the WC and they gave the award to Ryan Giggs !!! What he had achieved out of the ordinary that year I don't know.
    Mo Farah - not even on the 'podium' in 2012.

Wasn't it something to do with his sister in law to be? still cost him 150k for his hush lawyer and injunction

How can the 'personality' of the year be any of these people when the majority of the country have never heard of them let alone know their personality:

Max Whitlock
    Adam Peaty
    Charlotte Dujardin
    Jo Pavey

Really?

Don't hold your breath on that one. Look at poor Button. He had just won the WC and they gave the award to Ryan Giggs !!!
    Aye, but looking at the list there are no stand-out footballers there this year. Bale no-one cares about any more as he's not in the PL. Rory is a plank - I'd rather have a conversation with my dentist, and he doesn't really speak English. Rory looks enviously at dishwater for how much fun it's having...

I would happily wager some English pounds on Lewis taking it, and be delighted to stick it in the fundraiser whatever the outcome. I have no reputation to speak of so don't mind staking it all on this ;)

I'm a supporter of Hamilton - but Jeeez was he stroppy halfway through the year or what.
    So we have one behaving like a spoilt teenager when he doesn't get his own way.
    Or the other who leaves his girlfriend weeks before the big wedding.

Do you need a personality to win Sports Personality of the year.
    Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Rory is a plank - I'd rather have a conversation with my dentist, and he doesn't really speak English. Rory looks enviously at dishwater for how much fun it's having...
    If we're going for the personality attacks, then the whining, paranoid, blingy twat would be an easy target.

If however, you want to talk about sporting achievements then it's hard to compare Lewis's win with any other sport. He had the best car by miles this year. He basically won a race with one other competitor. We've seen what happens to him in a lesser car, and it's not pretty.

Which personality is most likely NOT to swear in the George & Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    If however, you want to talk about sporting achievements..
    As we are discussing the BBC SPOTY then it's not about absolute sporting achievement, it's normally about who won the event that most captured the public's imagination. Win Wimbledon = win SPOTY. Win the Tour De France = win SPOTY (for example). In this case more of the country were discussing Hamilton the day after his major success than Rory. It's the nature of the sport and the coverage.

I may well be wrong of course - it happens with increasing regularity these days according to my wife - but I would happily wager that Lewis will take the award.

Master
    Giving Hamilton a "personality" of the year would be like giving Hitler "Humanitarian" of the year although I suppose "whining paranoid bitch" is still a personality........ :-) ! If the award was for "sporting achievement" then possibly although I still find it hard to see how he can win when he's one member (albeit an important one) in a team of 700 other people. The Mercedes car was far superior to anything else on the track this year.....put ANY competent driver in it and they would have finished 1st or 2nd.

Rory McIlroy, surely.

Multiple major winner, Ryder Cup winner and not a tw@t.
    Corrected that for you. The only professional golfer I know to walk off during the middle of a tournament round (uninjured). Just not done old bean!

Master
    Pointless celeb fundament warm air blowing exercise, I hate it. Means nothing.

look at poor old George Digweed 23 word titles in shooting disciplines over 4 decades and still hasn't won it but at least did get a nomination 2 years ago if i remember correctly

Not much a fan of the sport myself but I give it to England footballer Fara Williams, without question. If in any doubt, read on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27644997

Sport AND Personality

McElroy

Certain

Lewis Hamilton F1
    Jolyon Palmer GP2
    Alex Lynn Gp3
    Anthony Davidson WEC

We have a world champion in every category, this achievement should be recognised
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th November 2014 at 11:20.

SPOTY Sports Personality 2014

Sorry I read this is as voting for the personality with the most zits

Does anyone really care?

My vote would always go to Derek Bell.

Or did I get those two sentences the wrong way round?

Master
    McIlroy 3-1 On, Hamilton 3-1.

Craftsman
    I may well be wrong of course
    You are. Rory's a shoe in. The Open Championship and the Ryder Cup are the two biggest events in Golf over here. He won one and was instrumental in the Euro team winning the other. Add to that a World Golf Championship title, another Major and the World No 1 ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    You are. Rory's a shoe in
    Maybe. Although consider that:

• It's voted for by the public
    • More people in the UK watched Lewis win (due to the beeb having the race vs Sky Sports golf coverage)
    • The public have short memories - traditionally the event that is most recent has a bias
    • My mum hates Rory for ditching the lovely Caroline almost at the altar

My mum clearly only has one vote, but hell hath no fury like the collective tabloid-reading masses of menopausal women who live vicariously through celebrities. I need to unplug her phone on voting night.

Master
    One did it using his own ability and one did it because he had the fastest car...easy choice for me.

Craftsman
    Maybe. Although consider that:

• It's voted for by the public
    • More people in the UK watched Lewis win (due to the beeb having the race vs Sky Sports golf coverage)
    • The public have short memories - traditionally the event that is most recent has a bias
    • My mum hates Rory for ditching the lovely Caroline almost at the altar

My mum clearly only has one vote, but hell hath no fury like the collective tabloid-reading masses of menopausal women who live vicariously through celebrities. I need to unplug her phone on voting night.
    The Open was on the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    One did it using his own ability and one did it because he had the fastest car...easy choice for me.

Ever tried driving an F1 car?

The Open was on the BBC
    Indeed. And by the time the event comes around, it will have been 5 months since then. Even at peak it only drew just over 5M viewers vs north of 8M for the F1.

The bookies seem to agree with you, although betting on SPOTY has been controversial in the past.

Craftsman
    Indeed. And by the time the event comes around, it will have been 5 months since then. Even at peak it only drew just over 5M viewers vs north of 8M for the F1.

The bookies seem to agree with you, although betting on SPOTY has been controversial in the past.
    I agree it has previously controversial but just can't see past Rory. He's achieved too much this year despite Hamiltons win. As you say the bookies agree. Let's wait and see.

Craftsman
    If we're going for the personality attacks, then the whining, paranoid, blingy twat would be an easy target.

If however, you want to talk about sporting achievements then it's hard to compare Lewis's win with any other sport. He had the best car by miles this year. He basically won a race with one other competitor. We've seen what happens to him in a lesser car, and it's not pretty.
    Interesting. In his rookie season he scored identical points to his team mate and the driver who most consider to be the best driver in F1 currently. He was unlucky to miss out on the title to Kimi that year by a solitary point. Since then he has outpointed his team mate in an identical car in every season bar one, when he was outpointed by JB (though they both won 3 GP that year).

This year he won more than double the number of races that his team mate won in an identical car, even after being out-qualified by Nico.

He's gone top of the all time British GP winners list.

Yet still people choose not to acknowledge his achievement.

I found it all a bit strange really.

Edit: Incidentally, I think Rory Mc is nailed on to win.
    Last edited by danoafc; 27th November 2014 at 23:26.

Lewis risks life a limb driving a multimillion pound F1 racing car at 200+mph around the streets of places like Monaco.

Rory hits a small white ball towards a hole, with a bit of metal, in a park by the seaside. His risk is a sore knee or a slight muscle injury.

(And I love playing golf)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Ever tried driving an F1 car?

A 17 year old can drive one these days..............

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Only a very talented one

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post

My 12 year plays golf - rather well.

I may well be wrong of course - it happens with increasing regularity these days according to my wife - but I would happily wager that Lewis will take the award.

You are. Rory's a shoe in.
    Arf arf.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Lewis risks life a limb driving a multimillion pound F1 racing car at 200+mph around the streets of places like Monaco.

Rory hits a small white ball towards a hole, with a bit of metal, in a park by the seaside. His risk is a sore knee or a slight muscle injury.

(And I love playing golf)
    It's not about what you do, it's how you do it.

In this case both Hamilton and McIlroy have done it better than anyone else in the world and are deserving of the number one position. Admittedly many more people play golf than drive racing cars.

Either one of them would have been a fitting winner (as would everyone else on the shortlist plus many more.

Craftsman
    Arf arf.
    I asked for that. You were right.

Rory still should have won it though. Apparently he was 8-1 on just before they announced the top 3. Bookies will be laughing.

I asked for that. You were right.
    Fair play :)

I've learnt to never underestimate the short memories of the general public - if something happened more than a few weeks back it's history to them. It's why a disproportionate number of songs / footballers / products from the last few years appear high up in 'greatest ever' polls. And why we keep getting the same clowns voted into Westminster.

Not even close

Total votes cast - 620,932

Lewis Hamilton - F1 - 209,920
    Rory McIlroy - golf - 123,745
    Jo Pavey - athletics - 99,913
    Charlotte Dujardin - dressage - 75,814
    Kelly Gallagher & Charlotte Evans - skiing - 35,871
    Lizzy Yarnold - skeleton - 23,188
    Max Whitlock - gymnastics - 17,219
    Gareth Bale - football - 13,747
    Carl Froch - boxing - 11,616
    Adam Peaty - swimming - 9,899

Master
    Nice to see that the para skiers scored more than Gareth Bale and Carl Froch. Not to say they aren't spectacular at what they do but that people now see other aspects to sport and achievement other than that which is thrust under their noses every day.
    And no one has mentioned Lizzy Yarnold's dress. I don't suppose she planned to run anywhere..

I voted for Lewis.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I think Rory might get SPOTY if he breaks Tiger's majors record. He has plenty of years to win it. Lewis said he had only flown in for a couple of days and then he was back off to the USA. Need to think of the taxman.

Journeyman
    Hamilton was 5/1 at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I think Rory might get SPOTY if he breaks Tiger's majors record. He has plenty of years to win it. Lewis said he had only flown in for a couple of days and then he was back off to the USA. Need to think of the taxman.
    He lives in Switzerland and given his itinerary I doubt he was at risk of spending anything close to 183 days in the UK. The fact he has an American girlfriend on the other hand..........!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Gutted Rory did not win, what he has done this season is incredible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    He lives in Switzerland and given his itinerary I doubt he was at risk of spending anything close to 183 days in the UK. The fact he has an American girlfriend on the other hand..........!
    Is she avoiding US tax lol

Seems to be constantly in the UK, more then her boyfriend!!