closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer I - 214270 (39mm) - Sports or dress watch? Please discuss / advise

Journeyman

Rolex Explorer I - 214270 (39mm) - Sports or dress watch? Please discuss / advise

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a bracelet watch, which has to be a Rolex and my heart was initially set on the Rolex Explorer II 42mm. However, I've tried it on a few times and do think its too big for my wrist. I've also tried the 39mm Explorer I and felt that its size was more appropriate for my wrist and adds the correct variety to my modest collection, which comprises Pre-moon speedy and an IWC pilot chronograph (3717), which are both on black leather straps. For clarification, I don't fancy any of the other Rolex Sports watches.

Any future Rolex Explorer I is mainly to be worn on weekends when I'm most likely to be in casual attire, such as t-shirts and jeans. As such, I'm undecided whether the Explorer 1 is a sports or a dress watch. To me the polished bezel and lack of crown guards make it more dressy. Please advise.

Any pics of the Explorer I in casuals would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by whodareswins; 14th December 2014 at 14:09.

Imo it's a sports watch.

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-n...ost/ti-558176/

But it shares some similarities to more dressier Rolex watches, like the airking
    Last edited by adzman808; 14th December 2014 at 14:18.

I think the Explorer is one of the few watches that can be worn on most occasions, casual and dressy.

Master
    I agree with the above. It's very wearable in most occasions. I bought mine 2 years ago. I was skeptical at first but now it's one of the watches I wear the most. For me it's as close to the perfect watch as it gets...

Nice watch, can be dressed up or down. IMPO Aqua Terra or Railmaster, prettier and better vfm.

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Nice watch, can be dressed up or down. IMPO Aqua Terra or Railmaster, prettier and better vfm.
    I agree with the above. Omega is better bang for the buck.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Denke View Post
    I agree with the above. It's very wearable in most occasions. I bought mine 2 years ago. I was skeptical at first but now it's one of the watches I wear the most. For me it's as close to the perfect watch as it gets...

Thanks - Out of interest what other watches do you have and why does this get more wrist time... is the bezel prone to getting scratched?

It's definitely not a dress watch. Its a sports watch that can get away with being worn with a suit, if needs must.

The design is a derivative of the Air King which itself was designed for pilots to be able to use in flight and then worn to dinner afterwards.

One of those watches which can serve both purposes.
    Am not really sure what a dress watch is. The prevailing opinion seems to be that it should be a lady size, thin, precious metal or shiny on a strap- something you are so ashamed to wear that you HAVE to hide it under the cuff!

As per other replies. 36mm or 39mm Explorer 1 models are very versatile and look equally good worn with jeans and a T-shirt or a suit or DJ.

Out of interest if you like the Explorer 2 why don't you go for the older 16570 model?

I'm lucky enough to own the 39mm Explorer 1 and 40mm Polar Explorer 2 and enjoy wearing both. The Explorer 2 is my every day watch as I find the Explorer 1 more dressy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    As per other replies. 36mm or 39mm Explorer 1 models are very versatile and look equally good worn with jeans and a T-shirt or a suit or DJ.

Out of interest if you like the Explorer 2 why don't you go for the older 16570 model?

I'm lucky enough to own the 39mm Explorer 1 and 40mm Polar Explorer 2 and enjoy wearing both. The Explorer 2 is my every day watch as I find the Explorer 1 more dressy.
    Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried on the old explorers and subs and to me they wear smaller than my Speedy and IWC. Therefore, I thought the Explorer II, was a good size. Unfortunately it is too big. However, even though the Explorer I is 39mm, in my opinion it wears bigger than other 39/40mm sports Rolex. So at present. I also think that the bracelets on the newer models are more substantial.

As you have the 39mm Exp I and 40mm Exp II. It would be interesting to have your comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Am not really sure what a dress watch is. The prevailing opinion seems to be that it should be a lady size, thin, precious metal or shiny on a strap- something you are so ashamed to wear that you HAVE to hide it under the cuff!
    What nonsense.

Edit:- Except for the first sentence - the explorer is one of rolex's most versatile watches and, while not a dress watch, is dressy enough to suffice if you don't own one.

A fantastic all-rounder.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 14th December 2014 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by whodareswins;
    As you have the 39mm Exp I and 40mm Exp II. It would be interesting to have your comparisons
    Yes I'll try and put my thoughts down, in the meantime have you read the brilliant write up from AIDM?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nd-impressions

Pretty much tells you all the technical details about the watch, it also adds some nice opinions, AIDM has also written another thread recently about his watches post Explorer purchase

Grand Master
    How about a 116000 instead of the Explorer 1?

The blue-dial option, with Arabic numbers, is 'explorer-style' and arguably the watch is nicer. I own a 36mm Explorer 1 which I like, but for me the increase in size to 39mm spoilt the watch somewhat.

As for the 'dress watch' question, anything that's NOT a diver, GMT or chrono seems to be classed as a dress watch thesedays and I guess the Explorer 1 ticks the boxes. Personally I`m moving further away from the 'sports watch' thing.....but I was never totally into it anyway.

I think the Explorer 1's a better choice than then Explorer11, I`ve never liked GMT watches.

However.......I know it's not Rolex, and that may be a stopper, but I`d seriously consider Omega's 38.5mm Aqua Terra. Black dial's the one to go for IMO. I have the slightly older dark grey dial on at the moment and it's a cracking watch. Discounts can be had on these, and the spare change vs the Explorer would buy you something nice...like another watch!

Paul

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th December 2014 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

The blue-dial option, with Arabic numbers, is 'explorer-style' and arguably the watch is nicer. I own a 36mm Explorer 1 which I like, but for me the increase in size to 39mm spoilt the watch somewhat.

As for the 'dress watch' question, anything that's NOT a diver, GMT or chrono seems to be classed as a dress watch thesedays and I guess the Explorer 1 ticks the boxes. Personally I`m moving further away from the 'sports watch' thing.....but I was never totally into it anyway.

I think the Explorer 1's a better choice than then Explorer11, I`ve never liked GMT watches.

However.......I know it's not Rolex, and that may be a stopper, but I`d seriously consider Omega's 38.5mm Aqua Terra. Black dial's the one to go for IMO. I have the slightly older dark grey dial on at the moment and it's a cracking watch. Discounts can be had on these, and the spare change vs the Explorer would buy you something nice...like another watch!

Paul

Paul
    I agree with you on much of what you say about the 116000.

I have no idea why some people get so insecure with the idea of a smaller, more elegant, watch to be worn when smarter, more elegant, dress is appropriate.

Agree with the above regarding size. The 36mm is the more versatile Explorer I model. The increased size accentuates the sportiness of the watch, reduces the elegance, and therefore makes it less suited to wearing with a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I agree with you on much of what you say about the 116000.

I have no idea why some people get so insecure with the idea of a smaller, more elegant, watch to be worn when smarter, more elegant, dress is appropriate.
    Exactly. These kind of dress watches are meant to be worn with dresses.

Apprentice
    Sports but it's a very versatile watch as people have said. It's on the oyster range, it was made for the mountaineering expeditions.

Exactly. These kind of dress watches are meant to be worn with dresses.
    Oh dear...

... if you cant grasp it then I guess the conversation is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Oh dear...

... if you cant grasp it then I guess the conversation is over...
    Lol, you didn't get the joke.
    Anyway, am just kidding.
    Personally, find 36 too small. But, can understand some prefer smaller watches. Particular with more formal attire. And, that's ok.
    Actually Explorer I is a very smart dress watch IMO for those who prefer their dress watches on the smaller side.

'Explorer'. Odd name for a dress watch. Unless it's about exploring dresses.

Of course it's sports.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Depends what you mean by 'dress' watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul

Paul
    I recently had cause to take a look at the 116000, which I had previously ignored. It's the best thing in Rolex's range - I don't know why they aren't more popular. Top choice.

I also happen to think the 38.5mm Aqua Terra is the best thing in Omega's current lineup.

Neither of them are dress watches, but they are both excellent all-rounders that go with everything from suits to boardshorts. (I know for a fact that you can also scuba dive in the Omega).

Proportions are all wrong (like all the modern Rolex clown watches).

Grand Master
    Am not really sure what a dress watch is
    Well, it's not an Explorer I, or any other brushed steel sports watch on a chunky steel bracelet. Of course, you can give anything any definition you want, but it makes communication extremely difficult...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries
    The 36mm Explorer is one of those watches that simply disappears when strapped to the wrist.

To each his own, and I also own an Oriënt OS300, and sadly not my Explorer anymore, but you could really do anything with that watch and never feel its presence.

A very good allrounder I'd say.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whodareswins View Post
    Thanks - Out of interest what other watches do you have and why does this get more wrist time... is the bezel prone to getting scratched?
    I have a collection of 25 something watches of different brands and types. For example I have a couple of Glycine Airmans (new and vintage), some other Glycines, vintage Omegas, Sjöö Sandström etc. The thing is that all of them are cool watches with unique design features and characteristics, but that also means that they don't fits in every occasion. The Explorer is not my funniest or most interesting watch, but it's the only watch that I literally can wear 24/7 without even thinking about having to take it off. It's simple and more versatile than the others. You might call it boring, but sometimes boring is best. :)

When it comes to scratches I haven't experienced anything remarkable regarding the bezel, I use it a lot so the whole watch get small marks and swirls now and then, the only real scratches has landed on the clasp.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys....I welcome your input

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Proportions are all wrong (like all the modern Rolex clown watches).
    You're entitled to your view but I disagree.

The 214270 and the SD4000, are the two refs which do not have the bloat of super-cased, recent Rolex. It IS a different watch from the previous 36mm Explorer & some find the expansion to 39mm not to be entirely to their tastes (mostly due to lug length compared to the SEL) but it's hardly a "clown watch."

For me it's the perfect size and compared to my Sub (16610) and Speedy it wears lower on the wrist. The lack of a date and rotating bezel makes the Sub's dial appear decidedly poky. Like Daddelvirks, the 36mm was too small for me, I have worn an homage at that size, which I couldn't get along with. Compared to the 36mm and the Sub, the quality of the bracelet and clasp is astonishingly better. I'd never really bothered about the Sub's clasp before but the Explorer's is a huge improvement. The comfort of the EasyLink and the three internal adjustment points mean that its my most comfortable watch. The other "issues" repeated endlessly on the web about the hands being too short and the engraved rehaut being too obvious, simply don't feature in daily wear.

I've worn mine nearly every day since I bought it in September and have had the occasional minor scuff on the bracelet and one on the bezel. The bezel scuff did annoy me, but a quick rub down with cape code cloth removed it completely.

As for whether it's dress or a sports watch, can be worn with a suit or not, it's just a watch - wear it how and when you like.

Master
    There's no simple answer to the OP's question as most people agree that the Rolex Explorer is a watch that seems right under a suit sleeve or when wearing a T shirt. My opinion (for whatever that's worth) is that the dial is a little too 'busy' with the large Arabic numerals, large position markers and plenty of text to be considered a true dress watch, as tradionally dress watches tend to have a lot of 'space' on the dial. But does it matter?

My own policy is that if I really like a watch and I can afford it, then I buy it and wear it. The OP does not give his wrist size but in the OP's position I would take either the 36mm or the 39mm Explorer without a worry - I simply couldn't care less whether somebody else think my choice of watch is appropriate.

To my eyes it's all wrong - looks a bit like a fake before they got good. There's a reason the Rolex sports models gained the following they have, and it wasn't because they looked funny.

The current ostentation-driven fashion for dinner plate-sized wrist displays won't last forever either (although I accept 39mm isn't huge).

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    There's no simple answer to the OP's question as most people agree that the Rolex Explorer is a watch that seems right under a suit sleeve or when wearing a T shirt. My opinion (for whatever that's worth) is that the dial is a little too 'busy' with the large Arabic numerals, large position markers and plenty of text to be considered a true dress watch, as tradionally dress watches tend to have a lot of 'space' on the dial. But does it matter?
    Traditionally dress watches have usually been of precious metal, highly polished, with minimal (if any) complications and invariably on a leather strap and slim so they go under a formal cuff for those occasions where, apparently, showing other people your watch isn't necessary. The text is probably of secondary concern :) but yes, traditionally, dress watches typically have very little dial clutter.

The OP can call it, as everyone else seems to, whatever he wants. He can call it a glass of water if he so wishes, but what it actually is, is a 150g sports watch designed originally for mountaineering, with a screw-down crown, a chunky metal bracelet, lumed markers and hands out of a dive watch.

Master
    Chaps

I use a 39m Explorer most of the time and it looks good with any attire and in any situation.

I intend to be buried with it on my wrist as I don't any other bugger wearing it. -its mine.

Regards

Mick

PS Please stop referring to it as the Explorer 1, there is no such animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Damn right, it's supposed to be a Roman numeral in a non Roman font. Explorer I.

IGMC.

That's right, it's called the Explorer, I've referred to it as Explorer 1 to make it clear as to which model is I'm actually discussing.

What about an older Explorer II 16750? It's 40mm, so perfect size, but retains the look of the new Explorer II. Plus, it's dress or sports – it goes with anything

Also available in black

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What about an older Explorer II 16750? It's 40mm, so perfect size, but retains the look of the new Explorer II. Plus, it's dress or sports – it goes with anything Also available in black
    This ^^ the most versatile and affordable rolex sports watch IMHO

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the 39mm Explorer and it goes great with casual clothes or suits - I love it!

I had the 38.5mm Omega Skyfall Aqua Terra and it felt too small despite the specs being similar size wise (the larger AT version too big).

The Explorer has something special about it that I love. I have a 6 watch collection however the Exp and Sub is all I really need.

I agree with Paul's recommendation for the 116000 over the 39 mm Explorer if you're choosing among current models. To me, it's more suitable as an all-arounder than the 39 mm Explorer, whose versatility and proportions suffered when the size was increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    .... the 39 mm Explorer, whose versatility and proportions suffered when the size was increased.
    Nonsense.

Grand Master
    To me, it's more suitable as an all-arounder than the 39 mm Explorer, whose versatility and proportions suffered when the size was increased.
    To the extent that any size increase with no commensurate increase in utility is by definition a decrease in versatility, where versatility is measured in terms of ability to fit into smaller places, then sure. But in proportions, I disagree - 20mm bracelet width suits the 39mm case better than it suits the 36mm.

Apprentice
    Sports watch you can use for everything

the 39 mm Explorer, whose versatility and proportions suffered when the size was increased.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Nonsense.
    No, complete sense.

No doubt a 46mm version would be flying out of the shops.

Master
    Hi

The sort of chap who buys an Explorer is not the flash type.

The 39mm is about right. If the watch had been say 42mm, I would not have bought it.

You buy the Explorer because of its discretion and you want it under the radar so to speak.

Regards

Mick

Apprentice
    Hi

I recently went to an black tie event for business and the guy sat next to me had a explorer 1. Looked great with his suit. It didn't look like he was trying hard, nice and subtle, which ultimately enhanced the look in sure he was going for. Plus I imagine it looked equally as good with jeans and a tshirt for the same reason.

In short, a classy watch that doesn't scream. I loved it.

Craftsman
    Well, itīs should be a sporty Watch but more of a dress in my book.

If you will get one, please get the older refs in 36mm. IMHO the new in 39mm suffers from SHS and looks really wrong.

While I'm still undecided which camp it falls into - modern Divers/Tool/Sunnto et al to blame - I agree on balance about the dimensions of the 36mm being better proportioned than the 39mm. The numerals and hands in particular. While I would normally not consider anything smaller than 39mm, the 36mm does IMHO seem to look better. Perhaps similar to the 41mm Railmaster, which I naturally assumed would be a far better bet than the 39mm, sometime bigger doesn't always equal better.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with the proportions on mine... There is no right and wrong on the size, despite some people insisting there is (Phillip!) - I tried the 36mm it was too small for my taste. I can't agree that it falls into the dinner plate camp at 39mm but who cares anyway?

It wears well with anything, I wear it to work, I wear it at home, I wear it out with the dogs, I wear it bathing the baby, I wear it mowing the lawn, I wear it to the local takeaway, I wear it out to dinner somewhere posh...

I very, very rarely wear one of my other watches.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Hi

The sort of chap who buys an Explorer is not the flash type.

The 39mm is about right. If the watch had been say 42mm, I would not have bought it.

You buy the Explorer because of its discretion and you want it under the radar so to speak.

Regards

Mick
    Spot on Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Nothing wrong with the proportions on mine... There is no right and wrong on the size, despite some people insisting there is (Phillip!) - I tried the 36mm it was too small for my taste. I can't agree that it falls into the dinner plate camp at 39mm but who cares anyway?

It wears well with anything, I wear it to work, I wear it at home, I wear it out with the dogs, I wear it bathing the baby, I wear it mowing the lawn, I wear it to the local takeaway, I wear it out to dinner somewhere posh...

I very, very rarely wear one of my other watches.

Rob

Either size - doesn't matter nearly as much as people try to make out - rolex got this one right.

A fantastic all-rounder.